General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Played another few hours. No issues for me outside of the ones i mentioned. Also noticed a few shadow issues, but still very very enjoyable.

Im sure this stuff will be patched in due time.

I get the feeling that the 21st August release date was chosen for a couple of reasons:

- Banking on Shenmue III being on Gamescom and riding that hype train (doesn't look like this is gonna happen any more).
- Beating the likes of Yakuza Kiwami 2, Spider-Man, and at a later date Red Dead Redemption 2 to release and hopefully persuading a few buyers to pick this up instead.

From the reports of the bugs we've seen so far, this could have used an extra month or so in development. I've already got my Steam version pre-ordered so I'll download it when it comes out, but I don't know how much of it I'll play through before various patch releases. On the other hand, I played Yakuza 0 when it came out on Steam at the start of the month and had zero issues while some other people reported various bugs (that game has had one patch released a week or so ago).

Reactions: AXM
It seems to me, reading through this thread, there are two definite camps of "rerelease" fans in this thread.

-You have the fans that love and expect the perfection of Yu Suzuki's games we had before and expect nothing less after waiting 15+ years with no hope and it looks to them there are a lot of little issues in this rerelease that add up to many which is rightfully disconcerting.

-And we have the fans the love the series and it's perfection that are just happy to get this great set (flaws and all) after waiting those said 15+ years.

We have two sets of fans that love the series coming at this from two distinct sides.

Personally I am in the former group, but I am reserving my judgement for when I walk in and pick up my Xbox One and PS4 copies from the same Best Buy I purchased the first Shenmue in all the way back in 2000.

My thing is, if it needed to be worked on a little while longer, why not delay the release. I mean, it didn't really matter anyway this whole rollout was basically all done in secret. What would a few more months of dev time even mattered.

There's no bonus material in the Shenmue 2 collection section apparently(besides the minigames and dart rivals list). Are you kidding me? No Saturn movie???

Last edited:
There's no bonus material in the Shenmue 2 collection section apparently(besides the minigames and dart rivals list). Are you kidding me? No Saturn movie, no comic?

The lack of Saturn movie isn't too bad since we've got that on YouTube (and footage of a Saturn game doesn't really benefit from being played in HD). High-res scans of the comics would have been nice, though.

I so wish I could give myself amnesia just for Shenmue so I could feel as surprised as the first time I played it

The lack of Saturn movie isn't too bad since we've got that on YouTube (and footage of a Saturn game doesn't really benefit from being played in HD). High-res scans of the comics would have been nice, though.
Well with that logic, we've got the entirety of the games on YouTube and we can just emulate them in HD(with less bugs may I add).

There's really no reason for this stuff to not be there, when they were making this they intentionally took it out.

You could easily make the argument that releasing it any later than August would mean getting totally buried by the big releases leading up to Christmas. If some of these issues are fixed with a day 1 patch, then they've done the right thing by releasing now.

There's no bonus material in the Shenmue 2 collection section apparently(besides the minigames and dart rivals list). Are you kidding me? No Saturn movie, no comic?

Well with that logic, we've got the entirety of the games on YouTube and we can just emulate them in HD(with less bugs may I add).

There's really no reason for this stuff to not be there, when they were making this they intentionally took it out.

All I have read from you in this topic are messages of absolute criticism for something you haven't had first hand experience with. Even with the subtle hints I have made above, what you are saying isn't exactly 100% accurate at all, and I am pretty tired of it, as well as a few others.

So, I would advise to take some time off, as well as understand what the term, "constructive criticism" means. Consider that a polite request.

Guys. There is this stupid geek appealing people to not buy shenmue 1 and 2 just because he doesn't like them lol
His argument is like, "Don't buy shenmue because I don't like it "
**Video Removed**

Go there and let him know how stupid his video is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've removed the link. We don't need to be giving idiots like that any kind of promotion.

you're right. But I can't not defend shenmue :)

You’ll end up playing into his game. Trolls like this live to stir up shit, get attention, and even money if they’ve monetised their videos. Why give them the satisfaction?

Yet 20 years later, a couple of old games, that could "apparently" be easily be remade/remastered/re-released, present so many small issues that fans get so hellbent out of shape about.

I think the problem is the sheer volume of these admittedly quite small issues, coupled with some rather large ones. e.g. the camera periodically getting stuck before cutscenes causing the image to be blank. That one might not be quite game breaking for someone like me who has played the game a million times and knows every cutscene off by heart, but it is for those who either haven't played the games since their release or are experiencing them for the first time.

I think the problem is the sheer volume of these admittedly quite small issues, coupled with some rather large ones. e.g. the camera periodically getting stuck before cutscenes causing the image to be blank. That one might not be quite game breaking for someone like me who has played the game a million times and knows every cutscene off by heart, but it is for those who either haven't played the games since their release or are experiencing them for the first time.

That is very true. A lot of people playing these games will either have forgotten, won't know, or even won't care about the broader picture of Shenmue, in terms of a technical level.

We are in the hottake/instant gratification generation now, and that will always be against this series.

Does anybody else take issue with how this release was handled? This release was announced like 4 months ago....at a Japanese Sega event....then hardly any info came out/no one could talk details....then some details....then we finally get a release date and now it is here and there appears to be problems with the game.

I feel like this whole announcement and release has a botched feeling and I, as a Shenmue fan, couldn't really get properly hyped for this because of all the secrecy around it.

Don't get me wrong, I am still really excited...it just seems like the whole promotion and release should have been handled differently.

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
Does anybody else take issue with how this release was handled? This release was announced like 4 months ago....at a Japanese Sega event....then hardly any info came out/no one could talk details....then some details....then we finally get a release date and now it is here and there appears to be problems with the game.

I feel like this whole announcement and release has a botched feeling and I, as a Shenmue fan, couldn't really get properly hyped for this because of all the secrecy around it.

Don't get me wrong, I am still really excited...it just seems like the whole promotion and release should have been handled differently.

Am I wrong?

080.jpg

Back