Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Little by little we are getting to the point where Shenmue 4 will be just as big a miracle as Shenmue 3 was.

It's not that bad right now because there are still some initial plans for the forth game that are ready for the start of a new project. Yu-san's studio works with Unreal and is busy with a project. It's not like no one is looking for them. Yes, they are not wanted for Shenmue, but for something else. Still, it's not like they're not wanted at all, and nobody gives them money. :)

There is interest in Shenmue, but they can't agree on money and who knows what else.

Not that I won't wait 5 years if they announce Shenmue 4. I will. We will fight to the end. It's too late to give up. I think they should release something soon though. Some kind of manga with a side story, a short anime film, small game... a novella. Preferably a short episode of Shenmue 4 that will be easier to make. Something to keep fans who aren't as crazy as us. George Kitchen's games are manna from heaven in this moment. Something to look forward to. :)

Last edited:
Little by little we are getting to the point where Shenmue 4 will be just as big a miracle as Shenmue 3 was.
It would be a bigger miracle at this point because S3 had the benefit of nostalgia going for it during its pitch. It's also important to remember how high Shenmue's profile rose in the wake of the S3 KS and the HD remasters, which will not happen again--you only get one comeback.

The gaming industry is in its infancy when compared to the music and film industries, but I like to think (albeit optimistically) that if we can live in a world where Clint Eastwood (almost 94), Hayao Miyazaki (83), Francis Ford Coppola (85), Dolly Parton (78), Willy Nelson (91), Bruce Springsteen (74), David Gilmour (78) and Terrence Malick (80) can still produce art, then hopefully so can Yu Suzuki (65).

The gaming industry is in its infancy when compared to the music and film industries, but I like to think (albeit optimistically) that if we can live in a world where Clint Eastwood (almost 94), Hayao Miyazaki (83), Francis Ford Coppola (85), Dolly Parton (78), Willy Nelson (91), Bruce Springsteen (74), David Gilmour (78) and Terrence Malick (80) can still produce art, then hopefully so can Yu Suzuki (65).

I went to a Paul McCartney concert (81) in my hometown last year, He sang and played for about 3 and a half hours from what I remember, and it was an wonderful show.

408286206_2671503876337356_1397754369979576760_n.jpg
I'm mentioning Paul McCartney because he is 81 years old and still producing art, I believe Yu-san can continue producing art too.

In the new interview Yu-san made it clear that there lots that he would like to do, he don't show signs that he want to retire now.

I also like to think that Yu Suzuki (65) can continue to produce art for a long time.

Last edited:
At this point, it feels like we’re just waiting for Yu to lower his expectations. I really do admire his optimism, but with age starting to catch up with him, now seems like the right time to start looking for a compromise. Some kind of conclusion is better than no kind of conclusion.

Are you sure we want to settle for a cheap Shenmue 4?

Might be better to have a great novel than a cheap game...

Last edited:
Are you sure we want to settle for a cheap Shenmue 4?

Might be better to have a great novel than a cheap game...
I don’t, nor do I think that we as fans have any right to tell Yu when it’s time to give up on his dream of a AAA Shenmue 4. Sadly, though, it really is starting to feel like that’s what needs to happen for the series to move forward.

If it were me, I’d run a Kickstarter for a really nice manga that would be given away for free, but have the first stretch goal be the first part of an episodic video game covering what’s left of the story, using the S3 engine. As long as the amount he asks for is realistic, I think he has enough fans around the world and enough friends in the media to help push such a project over the line. One way or another we’d all get some kind of closure.

Of course, it’s possible that some of the potential partners that he’s already spoken with would have bitten had he been asking for a smaller budget.

Back