QTE or NO QTE ?

QTE or NO QTE ?

• Total voters
Am I the only one that doesn't mind the QTEs getting removed in next Shenmue games ?

QTEs are called lazy game design for good reasons.Because instead of coming up with an interesting gameplay, with QTEs you can just put cutscenes and add some QTEs to it.

I preferred to get chase and stealth mini games in shenmue 3 rather than seeing chase and stealth cutscenes with QTEs.

I also hate this that QTEs make you not enjoy watching some of the intense cutscenes of S3 like the Chai fights.(since QTEs always put the players on pressure. Cutscenes should be a bonus for passing a gameplay section.)

The only thing I liked about QTEs in Shenmue 3 were the fail cutscenes that were funny. But even that doesn't make me interested in seeing QTEs again.

QTE's, when done well aren't lazy game design at all. There's plenty of games that execute them well.

Personally I'm happy for them to stay, make the window better so it's not too difficult and away we go. Branching paths are great but they would have to animate the alternative scenes, which costs money. I assume that's why they didn't do it for Shenmue III

Id say keep them, if they're done S2 style, drop them if they're done S3 style.

QTEs are about empowering the player. They're about making a cinematic sequence feel interactive and sometimes you can brach different paths in there like if you pull off the entire QTE sequence flawlessly, Ryo dodges the bad guy's punch and finishes him with an Elbow Assault. If you fail one button prompt, the punch hits Ryo in the face and he goes down on his knees, then the bad guy tries to kick Ryo in the head but you can block that kick and get back up if you can pull off the next button prompt. You get my point. Or also you can have the player choose which QTE path they want to take, like in S1 when you run after Tony and Smith at the harbor, you can choose which one of them to go after by pressing left or right in the QTE.

But trying to make QTEs challenging by making the time window way shorter than in the original games was a questionable design choice imho. If you want to make your game challenging, do it through gameplay. QTEs are there to make the player feel more immersed in cinematic scenes. If players fail them multiple times, it can easily get very repetitive and frustrating.

Also S3's arrow and button symbols look generic and cheap, just like the QTE sound sounds generic.

YS Net can take the arrow symbol and the QTE beep from Sega's archives, so that leaves us with four button symbols needed for S4. I doubt this would cost YS Net 600 hours of graphic artist salary to have someone design the button prompts. If it is over budget, have the fans do it. I'm sure there's a Shenmue fan or two out there who are good at this kind of thing. People can send their results to YS Net and the winner gets a free Shenmue illustration, printed out on Yu's personal office printer and signed during lunch break.

S3 QTE's were broken, as long as they are fixed and responsive why not?
Imo with the time they spend on QTEs they can make a proper mini game instead.

GTA games especially the latest ones offer an engaging story and none of them needed to have QTEs.

Qtes are without a doubt part of SM interactivity, if you ask me to cut some due to budget reasons, I'd just keep battle-action QTEs, but hey I loved airing books

QTE's done right can actually be extremely intense and satisfying. A perfect example would be the QTE segment in Shenmue 2 after Ryo and Shuqin Zhang's encounter in the restaurant is interrupted by the Yellow Head. Smacking those goons into tables and pigeon cages in the cramped marketplace en-route to save Zhang is one of the best QTE's I've ever encounted.
Shenmue 2 seems to be the pinnacle of QTEs, atleast for me. I don't think I've ever seen any other game do them as well.

QTE's done right can actually be extremely intense and satisfying. A perfect example would be the QTE segment in Shenmue 2 after Ryo and Shuqin Zhang's encounter in the restaurant is interrupted by the Yellow Head. Smacking those goons into tables and pigeon cages in the cramped marketplace en-route to save Zhang is one of the best QTE's I've ever encounted.
Shenmue 2 seems to be the pinnacle of QTEs, atleast for me. I don't think I've ever seen any other game do them as well.
RE 4 did them better. Because in RE 4 QTEs were either A+B or R+L which made them better than Shenmue QTEs where each time it's one of the 8 buttons.(A,B,X,Y and the D Pad directions.)
In RE 4 every time the QTE might be different unlike Shenmue where you can just memorize the buttons that the game wants you to press.
And in S2 they added some combination QTEs that made them even more annoying.

I'd rather take better qte's over better minigames. Shenmue 3 had so many minigames I just couldn't care for them that much. Shenmue 2 has some stellar qte's and I think shenmue 3 had decent ones here and there too, but maybe they need to change the way they play out a bit.
I never found them broken though lol

i would prefer if they replaced the free fighting with qte only.

qte is more fun, more immersive and its better for the story.

RE 4 did them better. Because in RE 4 QTEs were either A+B or R+L which made them better than Shenmue QTEs where each time it's one of the 8 buttons.(A,B,X,Y and the D Pad directions.)
In RE 4 every time the QTE might be different unlike Shenmue where you can just memorize the buttons that the game wants you to press.
And in S2 they added some combination QTEs that made them even more annoying.

Random button commands doesn't automatically make them better, though.
I think it's more to do with how the QTE as a whole is executed.
In Shenmue, the QTE's flashed, making you feel far more on edge than a simple stationary icon on the screen.
In RE4, they were just stationary. I noticed in the HD ports of Shenmue they were changed from flashing to stationary, too, a change I actually hated.

Last edited:
i would prefer if they replaced the free fighting with qte only.

qte is more fun, more immersive and its better for the story.
If they're as bad as the QTEs in Shenmue 3, no thanks.

what are you talking about. the qte's in s3 were great. they always put a big smile on my face.

The failure animations were particularly funny on some of them - especially if you fail near one of the fishermen and Ryo gets whacked on the head with his fishing rod :LOL:

what are you talking about. the qte's in s3 were great. they always put a big smile on my face.

what ones did you think were bad?
Um, they’re nearly unplayable because they give you like half a second to react. Pretty common complaint around here. Maybe if they figured out how to actually make the QTEs work next time I’d consider the possibility, but it’d sort of defeat the purpose of learning moves and leveling upif all fights were just QTEs. I really don’t think Ys Net needs to go back and reinvent the combat wheel 4 games into the series...

Back