Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have control over Ryo's hand when throwing the darts. This was never a thing - the game is about timing.

I could have sworn in the original you had some semblance of control - like, you could make his hand move towards a particular area of the board and had to get the timing right as it moved up and down?

If not, I spent a lot of time in my younger days imagining that my inputs were having an effect! ?

Well, I was making a livestream yesterday and some glitches happened to me on Dobuita Street (PC Version):
I saw at least 2 people appearing and disappearing in front of me. [fading] (Tom is one of them);
I leave bloom disabled by default because I don't like it at all. Sometimes, the game activates it from outta nowehere. It's not that it activates in the options menu, it only activates while you're playing automatically. And when I go to the options menu and set it to Low or High, the game disables the effect. It happened to me several times.

Title: Shenmue 2 music sounds wrong. Improved in 1.01 (in 1.0 the music sounds HORRIBLE) but still sounds wrong.
Platform: PC
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 3/3
Category: Sound
Priority: Severe

Just compare this:
To this (increase volume so that it's equal to the other video):

It doesn't sound right

Last night at the first Nozomi night park scene had the camera only looking at a bush. ?

Last night at the first Nozomi night park scene had the camera only looking at a bush. ?
I'm going to assume you're on PC since you didn't specify, also I'm not sure about the console patches progress, but on PC the v1.01 patch seems to have resolved those cut-scene issues.

I'm going to assume you're on PC since you didn't specify, also I'm not sure about the console patches progress, but on PC the v1.01 patch seems to have resolved those cut-scene issues.
PS4.

Title: Drink sound effect on infinate loop after Ryo drinks can.
Platform: Xbox1
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Reproduction rate: 2 out of 2 tries
Category: Japanese voices, english subs.
Priority: Moderate

Reproduction Steps:
Go to Bar Yokosuka when searching for sailors. Saijo will offer you a can of drink.
Observed Result: Drinking sound effect on continuous loop after scene. Ends when you leave bar.
Expected Result: Drinking sound effect stops when Ryo finishes drinking.

Also, another issue the pool cutscene will not trigger at mjq jazz bar. I've tried twice, walked in and spoke to the bartender and walked up to the pool table talked to both guys and....nothing...

Last edited:
Also, another issue the pool cutscene will not trigger at mjq jazz bar. I've tried twice, walked in and spoke to the bartender and walked up to the pool table talked to both guys and....nothing...

You can only trigger the cutscene once you're looking for sailors (and have at least ¥1000); if you sink the ball, you can then do it at any time afterwards.

You can only trigger the cutscene once you're looking for sailors (and have at least ¥1000); if you sink the ball, you can then do it at any time afterwards.

Ok, so that's why I cannot trigger it, I don't have enough cash...

Man, you really know your Shenmue(y)

Playing on PC, unpatched.

Having had a rarely uneventful run through the first few days of the story, things took a massive turn for the worse.

First I bought some capsule toys and the green and red buttons in the HUD locked on after I’d finished and stayed that way for the rest of the day.

Later on I was snooping around in the drawers by the family altar when Ine-San came to pray and I got trapped in the corner. I think this may have been an issue in the original game too to be fair as one would have to be in a very specific position to replicate. Thankfully, she only prays for about 40 minutes.

Things went bad quickly after that. I put the sword in the slot in the dojo and the night time transition music started to play while the camera was locked onto the sword ( I hadn’t left the dojo).

After that, I attempted to leave the dojo and the game cut to the cutscene of Rio swearing to avenge his father in front of the sign. Visuals were fine for this scene.

Once the cutscene finished, the camera cut back to the sword while a short dialog with fukuhara took place. We practiced together (I kicked his ass) and then the game immediately cut back to the sword while Ryo filled him in on his investigation so far.

After Ine-San revealed herself, I was transported into the house. Here my screen was black in the lower two thirds with a dark blue at the top of the screen. If I had to guess, it was the sky.

The scene played out with this on screen and then I was sent to Ryo's bedroom with the time now being 11:30. It was around 7:30 when the first cutscene triggered (maybe this time skip happened in the original - I can’t remember).

I slept and the alarm clock / wake up cutscene was just a white screen.

I really can’t understand how the game was released like this, nor how they managed to create so many issues while porting it.

Edit: Just remembered; the scene with the restaurant worker near the drinks machine triggered two days in a row (again, possibly present in the original, I can’t remember). This time I declined to buy him a drink (fool me once...). The subtitles at the bottom were messed up for the end of the conversation (something like ‘I’ I’ll see you later’ - but I hit B rather quickly and so only caught a glimpse of it). This was with the JP dub and English subs.

Last edited:
Title: Nozomi motorcycle scene sound/subtitles
Platform: Xbox One X
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Reproduction rate: Once but seems general
Category: Sound/Text
Priority: Medium
Observed Result: The song "Wish" during the cutscene on the motorcycle, riding back home with Nozomi, has noticeably audible compression artifacts. It's not nearly the CD audio quality it used to be. There are no subtitles for the lyrics in the music anymore.

Expected Result: Music should be of higher bit-/sampling-rate to match original quality. Subtitles should work for the singing.
Reproduction Steps: Save Nozomi at the harbor, watch the ensuing cutscenes

After that, I attempted to leave the dojo and the game cut to the cutscene of Rio swearing to avenge his father in front of the sign. Visuals were fine for this scene.

Once the cutscene finished, the camera cut back to the sword while a short dialog with fukuhara took place. We practiced together (I kicked his ass) and then the game immediately cut back to the sword while Ryo filled him in on his investigation so far.

After Ine-San revealed herself, I was transported into the house. Here my screen was black in the lower two thirds with a dark blue at the top of the screen. If I had to guess, it was the sky.

The scene played out with this on screen and then I was sent to Ryo's bedroom with the time now being 11:30. It was around 7:30 when the first cutscene triggered (maybe this time skip happened in the original - I can’t remember).

Aside from the camera issue, these are all intended and part of the original game.

This was the evening after you met Charlie in the tattoo parlour. Going to the dojo at or after 7pm triggers the cutscene where you spar with Fuku and Ine gives you the letter. The game then sets the time to 11:30pm as the story requires you to sleep and go outside the next day (and in fact, the game will force you outside and into cutscenes if you don't).

Edit: Just remembered; the scene with the restaurant worker near the drinks machine triggered two days in a row (again, possibly present in the original, I can’t remember).

Yup, he's there multiple days. The only time it matters is when you're looking for someone to translate the letter (which would've been this time, as you just got the letter).

Is the "not being able to save after S1 credits" bug also in the PS4 version? If so, have we reported it to Sega?

I might want to wait with finishing S1 until that's fixed.

I noticed an issue while watching a livestream of the Shenmue 2 port with the Japanese voice track on that the battle and move-learning sections seem to still use the OG Xbox-exclusive English voice clips for the assorted grunts, as opposed to the actual Japanese clips. Might've been an oversight or technical difficulty porting the (Dreamcast-only) Japanese battle grunts, but I do hope it gets resolved soon (either by SEGA/d3t themselves or by modders). I can't really test for myself since I don't have Shenmue 1 & 2.

Yup, he's there multiple days. The only time it matters is when you're looking for someone to translate the letter (which would've been this time, as you just got the letter).

Nah. This happened in the afternoon. I got the letter that evening after the encounter.

I figured the cutscenes may have been supposed to trigger like that (albeit with the correct visuals) but am fairly certain the nighttime transition shouldn’t have occurred while I was still inside the dojo, right?

Title: Music bug before Heartbeats entrance QTE
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: N/A
Category: Audio
Priority: Medium
Observed Result: Music before Heartbeats entrance QTE is missing sounds
Expected Result: Correct music in this scene

It is like this:

It should sound like this:

Me too. I turned boost mode off. Nothing happened. There are audio "crackling" issues with or without boost mode active.

I start Shenmue II today (5 hours of total playing so far). There are no audio crackling issues in sequel! (my setting is japanese audio and english text).

Just had the camera issue similar to after finding the Phoenix mirror on the first day working.

When the 3 men start a fight as you enter warehouse 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back