Response To SuperEyePatchWolf Shenmue 3 Review

I never thought I'd see the day where I was feeling more excited and curious to see a negative Shenmue (SEPW) review and feeling apprehension that I'm just gonna hear some biased fanboy bullshit in the response video. How did I get here? Shenmue IS/WAS MY FAVOURITE FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME, WHAT'S GOING ON!!?? 2020 really is the worst, I feel like I've walked into the Twilight Zone.

Ok now to watch the rebuttal.

A good portion of the criticisms for Shenmue 3 are fair. I still prefer it over Shenmue 1 though.

Shenmue 2 is still the gold standard and I think Shenmue 4 will be the new king in the future. Shenmue 3 has built a very good foundation.
I truly hope you're right.

Watched the rebuttal and even though didn't agree with everything that was said, it was good, he was fair and he didn't get super defensive but tbh most Shenmue fans, at least on youtube, have always been mature, understanding and fair while Shenmue haters on youtube seem like reactionary pricks, I'm glad that is still the case.

I truly hope you're right.

Watched the rebuttal and even though didn't agree with everything that was said, it was good, he was fair and he didn't get super defensive but tbh most Shenmue fans, at least on youtube, have always been mature, understanding and fair while Shenmue haters on youtube seem like reactionary pricks, I'm glad that is still the case.

The sad state of today is that drama and negatively drive views. If you can be over dramatic, you'll get more attention and clicks. That's just the way it is unfortunately. Its what the market/internet demands, so the supply will give it to them in spades. While i disagree wholeheartedly with the SuperEyePatchWolf title, I understand why he did it. He has valid criticisms in the video though, even if some of them are a bit hyperbolic in nature

To your point on being fair and understanding, it would be awesome if more people were like that, but as you've probably seen, balanced perspectives in anything are rarely heard and are drowned out by the two opposing sides screaming at each other.

Shenmue 3 does have a lot of issues. I think we can all agree to that. And i think Yu Suzuki was too ambitious implementing all those systems into the game. You could clearly see the budget was running out in Niaowu and Cedric himself said, they ran out of money towards the end. However, with all those systems now in place, all they have to do in Shenmue 4 is refine and improve them to a great standard. Do that and improve the animations and address all the negative feedback from Shenmue 3. Focus solely on the story and we should be on to a winner.

With all that said though, I personally adore Shenmue 3. I had a great time with it. I can see why people are frustrated with it though.

Criticisms is good and all but to call Shenmue III a terrible game is an exaggeration. I've seen far worse games that got something like a 7/10 score. Which to me is quite a good score. Sh III felt unfinished in many ways -but I understand why.

The third game had to be built from the ground up. Not something easy to do with that budget. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to make a video game. So much work. I'm still impressed by many aspects of the game and there isn't anything like it. And I don't like when people compare it to Yakuza all the time.

Instead of supporting the good aspects of the game that makes it unique they just throw as much crap on it as they can just because that makes them feel better.

Now that the foundation has been built they have the potential to make a much better Shenmue IV game. I never expected III to be a masterpiece anyways.

I'm grateful that people still believe in Shenmue and defends it as a series.

Criticisms is good and all but to call Shenmue III a terrible game is an exaggeration. I've seen far worse games that got something like a 7/10 score. Which to me is quite a good score. Sh III felt unfinished in many ways -but I understand why.

The third game had to be built from the ground up. Not something easy to do with that budget. I can't even imagine how difficult it is to make a video game. So much work. I'm still impressed by many aspects of the game and there isn't anything like it. And I don't like when people compare it to Yakuza all the time.

Instead of supporting the good aspects of the game that makes it unique they just throw as much crap on it as they can just because that makes them feel better.

Now that the foundation has been built they have the potential to make a much better Shenmue IV game. I never expected III to be a masterpiece anyways.

You're a new user, but that was a d@mn good first post. Welcome to the dojo

Welcome to the forums

I think this was a fair response to the SEPW video. He makes good points overall and is willing to concede where SEPW does too.

One thing I want to point out regarding the crux of his rebuttal is that he calls out many of SEPW criticisms is being rather minor. I agree, and I also think they were rather nitpicky in isolation, but to SEPW's point it wasn't 1 or 2 of those things that bothered him but all of them compounded to make for, what he felt at least, was a worse experience. That aspect gets lost in the rebuttal.

I appreciate what this guy says at the end with trying to find what he thinks will make for a better S4 that will appeal to all the fans who have been a bit soured by S3 and those that haven't. I think the most important point he makes is to try and hire a better writer. Good writing and dialogue will go a long way to making a better game and have the potential of bringing in some new blood.

I am surprised to hear in his video he was another one that didn’t enjoy the training regime and section with Mr. Sun.

Honestly that whole section was probably the best story related quest in the whole game for me. First learning about how miserly and cheap Mr. Sun is from other locals, often running out on his tab with various vendors. Then I loved the combination of his location at the abandoned temple and the music they refused from this scene. Then the training regiment felt suitably rural, plus it was one of the rare times Ryo demonstrates self awareness and understands catching chickens is helping his body and positioning for the move. Finally followed up by the instruction and demonstration of the move which was well choreographed and felt like a genuine Shenmue moment from previous games.

Honestly I loved it...

Oregon Pacifist uploaded a response video to SuperEyePatchWolf's Shenmue 3 review.

Oregon makes a lot of great videos. Check it out and give him a sub.

Cringe. All he does is say all these issues do exist and are real, but "it's not that big of a deal" or "it didn't bother me". The overall quality of the game absolutely does matter when reviewing a game. I don't think there's really sny need to damage control a review. Everyone who released a review already got to say what they wanted, or they can do their own review.

He says in the video that the big pay off will be Shenmue 4, but S3 was needed first. I think S3 has done more damage to the series than anything else. It's also not in any way responsible to make a game that divides the fanbase like it has, gets panned by critics and becomes a meme, and waste the massive amount of resources it took to make a throwaway game that was intended to be uninspiring and uneventful. "For the series to be good, we needed this dud" just doesn't make sense to me.

The idea of random qtes that in turn could cost you money if you fail them is probably one of the worst ideas I've heard for the series. Having exploration interrupted by random qtes would be awful, imo.

I think the food system needs to be scrapped entirely. It's a big waste to continue to put resources in trying to tweak it to make it work, and I see no value in it being there. I think we're at a point where we need absolute focus on what's most important.

When do you lose money from failing a QTE?

When do you lose money from failing a QTE?
Sorry, it's not in the game. It was his suggestion as a way to make the game different for every player, when he started to talk about SEPW's recommended ending.

Last edited:
Meeting Sun and the buildup to learning the Body check was also one of my favorite moments in the game. I loved it! Most people just got impatient with it and that's why they say it sucks. The only problem I have with it is Ryo has to wait like 3 days to learn the bodycheck while that younger stonemason is just trapped in the hermits nest. Who knows what they could have done to him in 3 days :tearsofjoy:

A good response. I actually watched SEPW's video after this and the criticisms are nothing new for those of us who've been paying attention since launch. Both are fair videos, but my opinion on the game moreso aligns with this one. I really enjoyed my time with SIII, despite its flaws. The issues mentioned here didn't ruin my experience -- what can I say :coffee:

The idea of random qtes that in turn could cost you money if you fail them is probably one of the worst ideas I've heard for the series. Having exploration interrupted by random qtes would be awful, imo.

I don’t agree with his example of execution but I would like a return of one off QTE’s like those found in Shenmue 2, which results in branching pathways i.e. chasing Wong or duck stand QTE. On that note, all I want is the QTE’s to work like the original games. Imagine in 1998 they had multiple variants and not instant fail states which chasing Jimmy. Get them up to that quality and ensure they are thoroughly playtested and I will be content.

Back