Random Shenmue III Thoughts

Is it MP3 format? I know some phones gets shitty over anything that's not MP3. Could you try it on a PC?

I just checked on my PC and they are indeedy MP3 files.
The file names are all in Kanji though, would this have anything to do with a phone not being able to recognise them? :unsure:

I think its a zip file. I dont have access to a computer right now. I'm using a Samsung Note 9.

Actually I think it was originally a zip file yeah. That would explain it lol.

I'm playing some Shenmue III again on hardest difficulty. I just wanted to say that this game is severly underrated.
I don't have a 4K TV or anything but dayuhm the textures in this game is good and it's almost never mentioned!

I also walked around in Bailu for hours looking for Bailu-chans everywhere, and while I did so I really had to look at the flowers, the grass, the wooden textures. I happened to get a leaf really close to the camera and it was like overly detailed. How often do you look at a leaf that close up?

Another example, look at Shenhuas stove. The rust, the cracks and how it looks aged.
The porcelain cups at the resturants and everything else. Very impressive. They really put some personality to it.
The team must have worked really hard to do that. I don't take this stuff for granted.
Some rocks has less detailed textures while other rocks further away are insanely detailed. Almost "too much" for it's art-style, which I love anyways. I mean I don't mind.

One reason I think people miss these detailes is beacues it's not consisten throught every object in the game.

It's mind blowing just to imagine what will be possible with UE5 for Shenmue IV or V.

totally agree blixt :)

There are some graphic details that are really impressive, especially when you zoom at objects and tetxures.
I did lots of photo with the share button on PS4.
Same here! I may upload some of my screenshots here later. I think they will keep focusing on the details in Shenmue IV as well.
As you can see in the ´Shenmue IV Will Happen´ thread, Yu travelled to china and took images really up close.
I am no expert but I know that there's software programs that uses multiple picture angles to create a 3D image.
There is defenetly more effective ways of doing this but it's still interesting. They probably did this for Shenmue III in some way or form.

I didn't know this was a thing(I'm pretty sure mine doesn't do this), Best Buy evidently hands out special pre-order/reserve cards(that look very similar to the old school vidpro cards, that stores used to use to display the games, when the actual games were locked up)

Sadly the image taken of it, is of pretty poor quality(so I'll probally take a new picture when I get it, but until then).

Edit: Lol I know why I didn't know about these, I never reserve games, if I'm wanting something day 1, I'm going to just pre-order it outright. I'm shocked anyone but GS even does reserves anymore, It's a pretty pointless practice in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
I had a dream last night that the YS Net offices were empty and for lease, and all hopes for S4 were destroyed :sleep:😞 Damn 2020 brain.
I had a dream not too long ago that Shenmue III was getting a Director's Cut re-release, but it was basically made into a Yakuza game with Shenmue skins. So it was pretty much the same level of nightmare, for me.

I had a dream not too long ago that Shenmue III was getting a Director's Cut re-release, but it was basically made into a Yakuza game with Shenmue skins. So it was pretty much the same level of nightmare, for me.

Omg what a nightmare.

Just found myself wondering; If Niao-Sun’s plan was to have Ryo distract Lan Di while her men set the castle ablaze, why does she have Gi apprehend Ryo just before he reaches the room where Lan Di and his men are waiting?

Given that at this point in the story Gi has already bested Ryo twice, surely the reasonable expectation would be for him to do so again - in which case Ryo would never reach Lan Di and he’d simply leave the very moment he saw smoke/flames. Having Gi there is entirely counter-intuitive.

I don’t like to poke more holes in the story as at this point it could give Swiss cheese a run for its money, but this seems like a rather large oversight on the part of the developers and makes no sense considering the narrative they were trying to set up.

Just found myself wondering; If Niao-Sun’s plan was to have Ryo distract Lan Di while her men set the castle ablaze, why does she have Gi apprehend Ryo just before he reaches the room where Lan Di and his men are waiting?

Given that at this point in the story Gi has already bested Ryo twice, surely the reasonable expectation would be for him to do so again - in which case Ryo would never reach Lan Di and he’d simply leave the very moment he saw smoke/flames. Having Gi there is entirely counter-intuitive.

I don’t like to poke more holes in the story as at this point it could give Swiss cheese a run for its money, but this seems like a rather large oversight on the part of the developers and makes no sense considering the narrative they were trying to set up.

New Poster - Hi! tbh I’ve been lurking on the forums since the remasters, but been following the back and forth on Shenmue 3’s story recently and wanted to reply to this.

Nioao Sun is waiting for Ren and Ryo at the Snakes hideout for the third encounter but has sent Ge et al “away”. Given this, and that it’s very strongly suggested that she’s following ryo/spying on him in Niaowu it’s highly likely that she knows he’s learned the reverse body check to defeat Ge (certainly it would be easy for her to do so).

Ge is the “boss” of the gauntlet of fighters she sets up for Ryo to fight at Old Castle (excluding Lan Di that is.) The reasoning being that in beating Ge Ryo would be good enough to last long enough in a fight against Lan Di in order for her plan to work, (and she comes pretty close). I believe that’s in part why she sends Ge/the snakes away at the hideout.

However like a bunch of things in 3, whether this needs more exposition/explanation is open to debate.

Back