Shenmue The Animation Announced

People we've made it to crunchy roll and adultswim. Do you know how big that is?
Hehe actually I have no idea, since I'm not into manga/anime at all. I guess it's a big thing :-D. Let's celebrate!

(I really like the art in that poster. It looks serious and really faithful to the games, with the right tone. Since Yu Suzuki is executive producer I think we can be assured there won't be problems of that kind!)

Last edited:
14858219.png
THIS IS AWESOME. The artwork in this image looks really promising!
Can't wait to see more of this! BEAUTIFUL.

I was always going to comment the initial artwork does look promising. Hopefully they have semi-decent budget and can animate action scenes adequately.

I also believe this is a strategy which will lead into Shenmue 4 rather than anime telling events past Shenmue 3. What a roller coaster ride it is being a Shenmue fan.

I also believe this is a strategy which will lead into Shenmue 4 rather than anime telling events past Shenmue 3. What a roller coaster ride it is being a Shenmue fan.

I believe this is how it could pan out too. The anime will probably tell the story of Shenmue 1 & 2, pushing sales for Shenmue 3 and then hopefully, we'll get a Shenmue 4 with a really good budget. Fingers crossed!

Sounds like it will be telling the story of 1 and 2 (and maybe parts of 3) in anime form, which I think can be a good "mini-reboot" of the story for fans and newcomers. I don't really watch anime but I'll watch this.

I can't decide if I would prefer for it to cover only Shenmue I & II, with the full intended story (boat chapter, train chapter and Suzhou chapter included).

Or if I would wish it to cover III too.

First option would mean a denser story, but could pose the risk of ending at the same cave cliffhanger and not continue (if it's not a big success), thus reviving the trauma of the 18-year wait LOL. Second option would be good to flesh the underwhelming story in Shenmue III, but could make a somewhat rushed series.

I don't know...I guess I would like the first but with a guaranteed second season XD. And call me for being sacrilegious, but I wouldn't mind it delving into story post-Shenmue III AT ALL. Specially if they opt for the integrity option of including the train and Suzhou chapters. We would never know which parts of the story would come to the game. And I wouldn't mind knowing the main story beats, since in fact I've always enjoyed the Shenmue games more in second playthroughs than firsts :-).

Exactly my thought! I think this was a smart move. Hope this will attract more new players to the Shenmue series.

What if Shenmue IV is already secretly in production and this is a way to promote it? .. to build up the interest for it?

Details from dusk golem on ResetERA:

The season tackles the first game and part of the second game. Includes a lot of story ideas they never got to put into the game either due to budget, time, or mature rating reasons. It'll be an adult animated retelling of Shenmue 1 & 2 with lost story beats.

Details from dusk golem on ResetERA:

The season tackles the first game and part of the second game. Includes a lot of story ideas they never got to put into the game either due to budget, time, or mature rating reasons. It'll be an adult animated retelling of Shenmue 1 & 2 with lost story beats.
I'm gonna guess they end it at Kowloon finale, but they have Shenhua on the promo art.

Back