Shenmue The Animation Announced

I should also mention that it's great to see so many mainstream sites mention this; Eurogamer, IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, Push Square etc. If nothing else, it proves that Shenmue isn't dead.

Eurogamer's one is short and sweet (and reminds people that they liked Shenmue III)~!

I should also mention that it's great to see so many mainstream sites mention this; Eurogamer, IGN, Kotaku, Gamespot, Push Square etc. If nothing else, it proves that Shenmue isn't dead.

Eurogamer's one is short and sweet (and reminds people that they liked Shenmue III)~!
It should also show up on youtube at Ign, Gamespot, Easy Allies, etc...

If anyone finds out more Animes with similar style please share and if by any chance someone finds out who's the drawing artist of the Shenmue cover it would also be appreciated.

Honestly, when I first saw this announcement, I felt a little down, BUT... hearing some additional details with Yu-san on board, as well as Sakurai-san's involvement and the art direction quickly patched up my doubts of S4 not happening. People like us are absolutely CRAVING for Shenmue, and with the anime? How come they didn't think of it before? It is a great idea, especially because we now know how passionate Yu-san is about his work and his fans.
Now all we need to see is how drama Youtubers will react to the news...

Wow! I'm more optimistic about this than I thought I'd be given I haven't been interested in very many recent anime. That teaser pic looks great and the prospect of exploring cut content is exciting! Also, it's comforting that a fan is behind getting this off the ground.

Time to go for a celebratory run!

It's not been this busy since the Shenmue III announcement. Imagine what will happen if Shenmue 4 comes.... and people said Shenmue was dead after Shenmue III. I wonder what the long term plan is here :)
The long term plan is probably the same as it has always been "Let's see if this takes off...if not oh well" lol jk

Ryo/Akira goes looking for sailors and then Guile shows up :ROFLMAO:

Though a season 2 is perhaps unlikely, I'd love to see an episode that expands the Niaowu castle rescue mission. That would be awesome!

So, Dusk Golem leaked that the series would cover the events of 1 and most of 2.

We now have official confirmation of this information from the people involved.

Wow. ‘Most of’ suggests we’ll probably be making our way to the end of Kowloon. Pretty sure that would mean that a second season would take us into Shenmue 4 territory.

Depends if season 2 is the same length as season 1.

This is a really tough one to call. I'm not sure how I feel here. Ideally, I'd want Shenmue 3 fleshed out and cut content to be put back in (Baisha), but then who's to say that what was cut from Shenmue 3 isn't being rewritten into Shenmue 4 or beyond?

It's going to be interesting watching this all unfold over the next year or two...

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the animation. I'm so hyped for it now.

Depends if season 2 is the same length as season 1.

This is a really tough one to call. I'm not sure how I feel here. Ideally, I'd want Shenmue 3 fleshed out and cut content to be put back in (Baisha), but then who's to say that what was cut from Shenmue 3 isn't being rewritten into Shenmue 4 or beyond?
If one season is effectively all of Shenmue 1 and the majority of Shenmue 2 (and possibly the boat chapter too), there’d have to have been a hell of a lot of story cut from S3 for it to have the equivalent amount of story as the first two games.

It seems likely that Yu will rework the Baisha material for Shenmue 4, so it will be very interesting to see if the anime follows the story given to us in the games or the story as Yu had originally envisioned it, but I suspect they both end up at the same place not too far down the line.
I hope we don't have to wait too long for the animation. I'm so hyped for it now.
I’m starting to wonder why they dropped the news so early if they’re not even in a position to give us a rough estimate on when it might broadcast, nor a short trailer to give us an idea of what to expect. It’s not like they were under any pressure to announce the project now.

I guess they’re going with the slow trickle approach, but I’m a little concerned that we might see a repeat of the Shenmue 3 announcement, where all of the hype generated by the announcement itself had completely dissipated by the time the project was ready to launch.

If we're fortunate enough to get a second season, I'd have absolutely no issue with the story advancing beyond the games. In fact, I'd be happy enough to see it reach a resolution in anime form ahead of the games wrapping up, especially if it follows Yu's initial manuscripts and planned chapter structure.

If one season is effectively all of Shenmue 1 and the majority of Shenmue 2 (and possibly the boat chapter too), there’d have to have been a hell of a lot of story cut from S3 for it to have the equivalent amount of story as the first two games.

Right, but I'm suggesting that they could do a season 2 that has fewer episodes. But you're right - even then (say if it was 8 or 9 episodes long), they would have to stretch season 3 (and disc 4 of Shenmue 2) out further than seems possible. Still, they could do an awful lot to introduce and develop Niao Sun's character better (hopefully).

I agree the timing of the announcement seems very odd. I am hoping that it's all part of a drip feed marketing strategy and it's not that they just aren't far enough along to actually show off or reveal anything... If it's the latter, it's very odd. My concern would be the same as yours and the comparison to Shenmue 3 which had massive initial hype that got diluted and weakened as the years went by.

Back