Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

Maybe with the anime they are hoping to increase the audience.
Maybe; but that is a big maybe. That would be a very big gamble on their part because they do not know if the anime will be a success or not and even if it becomes a hit they do not know how many of the fans of the anime will actually buy the games.
I wish that it would became a massive success and that a lot of new fans would buy the games; but I think we have to be realistic and optimistic and not as pessimistic as we once were but also neither overly confident.

Interesting comments from Cedric here (click the link):

From what i've understood he said that the fans have done enough for Shenmue 3 and the series and that now it is up to them to find the right partners for Shenmue 4.
That is indeed an interesting comment; it sure feels like this could mean something significant for the series.

Hahaha guys you're too fast ! Wanted to post the tweets I had with Cedric here but already done ^^
Looks like Shenmue 3 sales remains the key factor to unlock a Shenmue 4 partnership
What strategy could they/we adopt in addition to "spread the word" to increase S3 sales ? Offering Shenmue The Animation episode 1 for each S3 purchase ? !

From what i've understood he said that the fans have done enough for Shenmue 3 and the series and that now it is up to them to find the right partners for Shenmue 4.
That is indeed an interesting comment; it sure feels like this could mean something significant for the series.

I'm kind of interpreting the exact opposite...it's not off the ground and nowhere near to be.

I'm kind of interpreting the exact opposite...it's not off the ground and nowhere near to be.
It seems I got the translation wrong and it looks like he ment to say that it is important to continue supporting Shenmue 3 for us to have a better chance of Getting Shenmue 4 and that meanwhile they have to find the right partners that are whiling to fund Shenmue 4.
From Cedric's part I think it is the smartest possible answer that he could have given at this time; he his basically neither confirming and also neither denying the possibility of Shenmue 4 becoming a reality because Shenmue 3 is still going to come out soon on other platforms so he couldn't just confirm that they already have partners and of course he is not going to say the exact oposite; either one of them would have a negative impact on future Shenmue 3 sales on other platforms after the 1 year exclusivity deal with Epic.

I would prefer to actually have an interpretation from someone who speaks French, but from the google translation, it sounds like all he's saying is that fans should still buy Shenmue III (it will always be helpful), but the heavy lifting is just a matter of Shibuya/YS Net negotiating with potential partners, and not something the fans can really take part in.

You have to wonder what are ysnet and their staff doing? 100s of people dont just sit around for a year and get paid thousands of dollars each month for nothing.

Suzukis role in the anime isn't something that would take up all of his time either.

Unfortunately we wont know until 2022 earliest.

The shenmue anxiety continues lol

"Shanxiety"

Last edited:
You have to wonder what are ysnet and their staff doing? 100s of people dont just sit around for a year and get paid thousands of dollars each month for nothing.

Suzukis role in the anime isn't something that would take up all of his time either.

"Shanxiety"
It's a valid point though. What's keeping the lights on at YSNET?

Japan has a furlough scheme so at least throughout the pandemic they would have been paid. Hopefully they may have been working on adjustments for the steam release of III - it's unlikely that Yu wouldn't take the opportunity to go back and balance the game on the criticism he researched post III's release if there's been nothing else to work on, and it's not like there's no past form for this - Shenmue II X, Virtua Fighter 3TB etc. So much of III was outsourced so while I don't think new cinemas and voice overs are an option they can make QOL tweaks like the first major PS4 patch...

"Shanxiety"
The majority of the people who worked on Shenmue 3 were contract workers and so were likely let go once their contracts ended. There are obviously some people there on staff, but if it’s true that Shenmue did fine financially, they should have some royalties coming in to help keep the lights on.
Japan has a furlough scheme...
To the best of my knowledge, government support only provides payment in instances where a company has been told to close, but aside from a 2-3 week state of emergency a few months back, the government have actively refrained from directly asking businesses to shut their doors (instead only suggesting that they do so).

I’d be very surprised if YSNet has received much government support as a result of COVID-19, nor do I think the virus will have had a major impact on their business.

"Thanks ! Fans already do a lot for Shenmue and buying S3 is very important. It belongs to us to convince a larger audience and to find the good partners"
Here's my translation from my french sight, imo he said that S3 sales are very important

I would imagine YsNet would have some cash in reserve to pay current staff, and like @tomboz said, anyone who's a contract worker would be off the books by now. I forget, did YsNet have any releases before Shenmue III? I thought I remember hearing about a mobile project or two but I could be mistaken.

They could be working on QOL improvements for the Steam release as @Down by Law mentioned, and it's possible there's some early legwork being done on Shenmue IV (remember, they'll have to essentially "re-pitch" the game to publishers).

I just want the rest of the story. Don't really care if it's told through games or anime as long as it's told well.

I would imagine YsNet would have some cash in reserve to pay current staff, and like @tomboz said, anyone who's a contract worker would be off the books by now. I forget, did YsNet have any releases before Shenmue III? I thought I remember hearing about a mobile project or two but I could be mistaken.

They could be working on QOL improvements for the Steam release as @Down by Law mentioned, and it's possible there's some early legwork being done on Shenmue IV (remember, they'll have to essentially "re-pitch" the game to publishers).
Obviously we all know about Shenmue City, but here are the other games Ys Net supposedly worked on. I can find little to no details about most, but I know these were all likely limited releases that didn’t succeed in Japan. I would not be surprised if Yu Suzuki makes money from consulting and showing up at various conferences. It is also true that most of the Ys Net appears to be contract workers, but I am guessing that’s fairly typical these days anyway.

Shenmue City2010Yahoo Mobage ServiceDirector
Virtua Fighter: Cool Champ2011iPhoneDirector[53]
Bullet Pirates2013Android, iPhoneDirector[76][77]
Virtua Fighter: Fever Combo2014iPhone, AndroidDirector[78]

Last edited:
Back