Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

Sure, but we want it to still be good. If the 13 episodes don't only cover Shenmue 1, It's going to be worse then bad, It's going to be a Greek tragedy.
Based on what evidence?

Shenmue 1 is a great game but how much is imperative to the story?

1. Iwaos Death + letter arrives
2. Master Chen and Sword hand guard.
3. Find mirror introduce Chai.
4. Money for Hong Kong, lose to Chai.
5. Job and Mad Angel's.
6. 70 man battle, beat chai, leave.

What's more intersting is how the develop the relationship with Ryo, Nozomi and others within this. Could they have 40 min episodes for example?

We need to wait before passing any sort of assumptions here.

Last edited:
Based on what evidence?

Shenmue 1 is a great game but how much is imperative to the story?

1. Iwaos Death + letter arrives
2. Master Chen and Sword hand guard.
3. Find mirror introduce Chai.
4. Money for Hong Kong, lose to Chai.
5. Job and Mad Angel's.
6. 70 man battle, beat chai, leave.

What's more intersting is how the develop the relationship with Ryo, Nozomi and others within this. Could they have 40 min episodes for example?

We need to wait before passing any sort of assumptions here.

You missread my post. Shenmue 1 can fit in a 13 episode anime, Shenmue 2 can't however. The announcement makes it sound like the anime will cover Shenmue 1, and 2.

However they could've just got lazy with writing the premise for the anime(ie instead of writing what the anime will follow, they copied what the Shenmue story ingeneral follows).

it's probably not going to share much tonally with the games and will certainly focus on certain and ignore other elements from the games. Best to set your expectations for something else entirely. They're definitely not trying to do a 1:1 remake of the video games in anime format.

I just want to see how they tackle the Yellow Head building and Don Niu fight. Having a series cliffhanger where Lan Di stares down Ryo from the chopper will be a fucking hype moment. I hope it ends there. Series 2 can tackle Guilin and naturally lead into the plot of III.

You missread my post. Shenmue 1 can fit in a 13 episode anime, Shenmue 2 can't however. The announcement makes it sound like the anime will cover Shenmue 1, and 2.

However they could've just got lazy with writing the premise for the anime(ie instead of writing what the anime will follow, they copied what the Shenmue story ingeneral follows).
Fair re Shenmue 1 point.

However the original point still stands, based on what evidence will it suck? We don't even know how far into Shenmue II the first season will go, let alone the episode lengths etc.

Fair re Shenmue 1 point.

However the original point still stands, based on what evidence will it suck? We don't even know how far into Shenmue II the first season will go, let alone the episode lengths etc.

Based on extensive knowledge of story telling, and anime. While they never go mainstream for obvious reasons, there are so many great heavy story driven anime, and I'm the one digging them up/discovering them.

Some of which have grown pretty big cult followings at this point as well, due to how great they are :)

PS. More importantly still, I know how wuxia story telling works, which Shenmue as a whole follows the rules of such very closely.

mmm.. its also worth considering how much of the story struckture will change, just to be adapted to the anime format.
I would say that the story of shenmue was made the way it was because it's a game.

mmm.. its also worth considering how much of the story struckture will change, just to be adapted to the anime format.
I would say that the story of shenmue was made the way it was because it's a game.

That doesn't have to be the case though. Sure it was made as a game, but it follows the wuxia rules so closely in every aspect(even the gameplay), and wuxias are usually only in written, and visual only forms.

There are already a few wuxia anime in existance:

The Legend of Condor Hero(a extremely accurate adaptation of the novel return of the condor heroes, and directly based off of the 1984 live action series with the same name)

The Legend of Qin/Qin's Moon(this is a super complex wuxia, and spin on such)

Hua Jiang Hu Zhi Bu Liang Ren

If those can be anime, I'm sure Shenmue wont be a issue

The one closest to Shenmue, is definitely The Legend of Condor Hero, and works so great(so great infact, this is my #1 best anime ever made choice), I strongly suggest people watch this masterpiece.

That doesn't have to be the case though. Sure it was made as a game, but it follows the wuxia rules so closely in every aspect(even the gameplay), and wuxias are usually only in written, and visual only forms.

There are already a few wuxia anime in existance:

The Legend of Condor Hero(a extremely accurate adaptation of the novel return of the condor heroes, and directly based off of the 1984 live action series with the same name)

The Legend of Qin/Qin's Moon(this is a super complex wuxia, and spin on such)

Hua Jiang Hu Zhi Bu Liang Ren

If those can be anime, I'm sure Shenmue wont be a issue

The one closest to Shenmue, is definitely The Legend of Condor Hero, and works so great(so great infact, this is my #1 best anime ever made choice), I strongly suggest people watch this masterpiece.
im not saying it's gonna be an issue.
Im saying it will maybe be a bit different than the games. Maybe the order of some events.
Maybe some events don't happen at all, and other ones get more importance you know?

A well-paced anime can fit a surprising amount into 13 episodes. It's not as if Shenmue has the most complex plot or a huge cast of characters to deal with.

I actually signed up to AnimeLab to get myself back into it, having not watched an anime series in full since I was a kid, really. Starting with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I started with the original series at first, then every person I spoke to said just watch Brotherhood instead. It's surprisingly good.

im not saying it's gonna be an issue.
Im saying it will maybe be a bit different than the games. Maybe the order of some events.
Maybe some events don't happen at all, and other ones get more importance you know?

Yea obviously something like that would have to be going on, but even then, 13 ep is such a limited amount of time, to tell a worthwhile story, way too short. Hell even most 26 ep anime are a little too short for the stories they are trying to tell.

Yea obviously something like that would have to be going on, but even then, 13 ep is such a limited amount of time, to tell a worthwhile story, way too short. Hell even most 26 ep anime are a little too short for the stories they are trying to tell.
lets see how they pace it, and how much of the game's story they will remove.
can't fucking wait for this man.

if the reviews are really good and the fans like this anime, they should consider incorporating the anime into future shenmue games.

for example witcher 2 ( flashback using animation)

Is anime still released on physical media? Because I must get this show on Blu-Ray. I must.

I cant wait to see all the easter eggs and dialog lines aimed at the Shenmue community from this anime.

"Huh, shut the hell up!" "If you don't shut the hell up I'll make you wish you had."😂

I'm not really a fan of the art style they're going for, but hell, a Shenmue anime is something I never would've thought we'd see so I'll take it! Here's hoping for some good merch. We're way overdue for some good articulated Shenmue figures.

Back