The Pretentious Sophistry of Super Eyepatch Wolf and His Bad Take on Shenmue III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still can't comprehend that you guys are taking seriously the "ruined my life" part. I instantly perceived it as humor and jest but somehow I'm the negative one because I accepted his review as his opinion expressed in his style as opposed to being upset about it for the past several months and taking it as a personal attack.

The reason you see me post mostly negative stuff is because I post primarily on the S3 board and I think the game is awful.

I think humour is very subjective and whilst I can see your point, it doesn't come across as funny when people of influence can sway the opinions of so many people. I'm not saying it will happen, but let's say that this video was the straw that broke the camel's back whether it came to making Shenmue IV or not, then this "humourous" video cannot be seen as funny.

Sadly, there are a lot of people who can't think for themselves, so stuff like this does more harm then good. If 1 million people played Shenmue III and didn't like it, that's one thing, but one person not liking it and many people deciding that his opinion is sacrosanct without playing it is quite another.

Wow, Creward gave a angry reaction in my last post. I did nothing wrong and this person gave a angry reaction in my last post. See? this is one of the reasons why i don't want to discuss this anymore, if people want to think that Body Check and Reverse Body are the same go ahead then, if people want to hate everything about the game then go ahead, i will not discuss this anymore.

Last edited:
Wow, Creward gave a angry reaction in my last post, i did nothing wrong and this person gave a angry reaction in my last post. See? this is one of the reasons why i don't want to discuss this anymore, if people want to think that Body Check and Reverse Body are the same go ahead then, if people want to hate everything about the game then go ahead, i will not discuss this anymore.
Hiki, mano. Stop. It's pointless to get mad about this. If you get mad they will win. Just move on and enjoy it.

Hiki, mano. Stop. It's pointless to get mad about this. If you get mad they will win. Just move on and enjoy it.
I'm not mad about this, it is funny actually, funny how some people react on internet. Yeah, i will ignore this, i agree with you, i will just enjoy it, thanks. 😊

Last edited:
I think humour is very subjective and whilst I can see your point, it doesn't come across as funny when people of influence can sway the opinions of so many people. I'm not saying it will happen, but let's say that this video was the straw that broke the camel's back whether it came to making Shenmue IV or not, then this "humourous" video cannot be seen as funny.

Sadly, there are a lot of people who can't think for themselves, so stuff like this does more harm then good. If 1 million people played Shenmue III and didn't like it, that's one thing, but one person not liking it and many people deciding that his opinion is sacrosanct without playing it is quite another.
For me that is the point. If this guy is a true Shenmue fan (wich i seriously doubt) he would have done the video in a completely different way or at least he should have even if he didn't enjoy is experience with Shenmue 3; he could have pointed out the things he didn't like about the game but without trashing the the game the way he did. He should have used constructive criticism instead of shitty sensationalism and with his influence could have even helped to improve a future game of the series; that is what he should have done if he really is fan of the series; but no instead he even personally sugested that the fans should give up on the series.
Needless to say that I immediately unsubscribed to his channel.

I can't accept that. Reviewing products is an industry in itself. I've been reading game reviews since 2000 and I'm not interested in reviewers holding back on what they think about the game, or reviewers being accountable for whether or not a sequel gets funded. That's bs. Yes, reviewers do have influence but one review shouldn't be the sole deciding factor for anyone. If the consumer is interested, they can check out more than one review. Ultimately it's up to the development team to ensure they are making a quality game that conveys the feelings, experience and messages they want to convey.

I recently saw a Yu Suzuki interview where he said that Shenmue 3 should feel like going back home. I think that's a nice sentiment and way to view the game, but not everyone is going to see that interview (including myself, because it was an older interviews). If that's the feeling the game is supposed to give off, then that needs to be part of their goal in the end product. I can appreciate that sentiment after the fact, but at no point did the game itself feel like going back home for me. I guess my point here is that when someone buys Shenmue 3 to play it, their experiences relies solely on that game and nothing else.

I'll say it loud and clear. Super Eyepatch Wolf has no responsibility, accountability, or say in whether the series continues. That is solely on Yu Suzuki and the relationships he has in the industry.

If you get mad they will win.
Who is they and what will they win? You guys need to knock off the conspiracy theories. So what if someone gave a negative reaction to your post. I get them all the time on this site.

If this guy is a true Shenmue fan (wich i seriously doubt) he would have done the video in a completely different way or at least he should have even if he didn't enjoy is experience with Shenmue 3; he could have pointed out the things he didn't like about the game but without trashing the the game the way he did.
No. He has no obligation to protect your feelings when reviewing a game he played. That's flat out ludicrous.

2ca33cy967p31.png

It's floating on this backer trial version. What a scam.

I can't accept that. Reviewing products is an industry in itself. I've been reading game reviews since 2000 and I'm not interested in reviewers holding back on what they think about the game, or reviewers being accountable for whether or not a sequel gets funded. That's bs. Yes, reviewers do have influence but one review shouldn't be the sole deciding factor for anyone. If the consumer is interested, they can check out more than one review. Ultimately it's up to the development team to ensure they are making a quality game that conveys the feelings, experience and messages they want to convey.

I recently saw a Yu Suzuki interview where he said that Shenmue 3 should feel like going back home. I think that's a nice sentiment and way to view the game, but not everyone is going to see that interview (including myself, because it was an older interviews). If that's the feeling the game is supposed to give off, then that needs to be part of their goal in the end product. I can appreciate that sentiment after the fact, but at no point did the game itself feel like going back home for me. I guess my point here is that when someone buys Shenmue 3 to play it, their experiences relies solely on that game and nothing else.

I'll say it loud and clear. Super Eyepatch Wolf has no responsibility, accountability, or say in whether the series continues. That is solely on Yu Suzuki and the relationships he has in the industry.

Who is they and what will they win? You guys need to knock off the conspiracy theories. So what if someone gave a negative reaction to your post. I get them all the time on this site.

No. He has no obligation to protect your feelings when reviewing a game he played. That's flat out ludicrous.
I know that he is not obliged to anything; I just expressed my personal opinion about the way he made the video and how I think a true fan should have done it; that's it; just like it is your opinion to think that my statement is ludicrous and that I think it is not. "Opinion" simple as that; it is just an "Opinion" and everyone is entitled to have one.

Can we make sure this stays civil, which for the most part it has.

Not one persons opinion overrides another as more important and while we may not agree with each other at least be respectful of the others view. As I said mostly this has been fine but just a friendly reminder :)

By the way it is also my "Opinion" that Yu Suzuki managed to transmit me the feeling of going back home with Shenmue 3 trough my playtime in Bailu village.
It reminded me of Shenmue 1's Yokosuka; by staying at Shenhua's house it reminded me of Ryo's house in Yamanose.
Both homes are a bit far away from the main location and by walking every morning to Bailu Village and coming back at night to Shenhua's house; it reminded me of the exact same thing of when I walked from Ryo's house to Dobuita and came back home at night.
In a way Shenhua also reminded me of Ine San; by having her around the house and waking up in the morning and having her in the kitchen preparing the meals.
The fact that the villagers knew Shenhua very well also reminded me of Shenmue 1's inhabitants knowing Ryo as well; it reminded me of HOME.
The little girl named Lin reminded me of Megumi in Shenmue 1.
The children in the Sun Flower Grove remined me of the children in Yamanose and Sakuragaoka.
Even the elderly people of Bailu reminded me of the elderly people in Shenmue 1.
The training at the Dojo in Bailu reminded of the training at the Dojo in the Hazuki residence.
I could go on and on with more things that made Shenmue 3 remind me of HOME in Shenmue 1.
It is my "OPINION" that Yu Suzuki and his team did a great job in transmiting that feeling of going back home in Shenmue 3.

Wow, Creward gave a angry reaction in my last post. I did nothing wrong and this person gave a angry reaction in my last post. See? this is one of the reasons why i don't want to discuss this anymore, if people want to think that Body Check and Reverse Body are the same go ahead then, if people want to hate everything about the game then go ahead, i will not discuss this anymore.
You were angry :D.

It was kinda a joke like slack reactions. Sorry if the intention did not go across well.

Last edited:
You were angry :D.

It was kinda a joke like slack reactions. Sorry if the intention did not go across well.
No, i was not angry, i'm a gentle and peaceful person, you didn't understood my post, in my last posts i joked a lot about the situation that some people are complaining about every little thing about the game, even about capsule toys, Ryo eating garlic, Ryo puting his shoes and much more, we have a name for this people now, Sharens. 🥴 I will continue to give my opinion because i know that is nothing wrong with doing that.

But yeah, now that i think about it people can give the reaction they want, it is actually funny, funny how people react on internet, i know i'm not doing anything wrong, i'm not here to fight with people, as i said i'm a gentle and peaceful person, let's end this here then, have a nice day. 😊

@Sergeynest, i agree with everything you wrote, i remember when i said that Shenmue III is like Shenmue One in many ways, even the pace is similar, i really feel the same thing, when we play hide and seek with the kids in Bailu Village it really gave me a Shenmue One feeling, a feeling of home, so beautiful.

Last edited:
I will joke more about this 🥴 (I love this smilie)

Shenmue Fans Playing Shenmue one: This scene when Ryo is about to enter the Dojo is so nice, is a nice touch to the game, we even learn more about japanese culture this way, Shenmue Forever in my heart. 🥰

Sharens playing Shenmue III: We have to walk everytime when we are passing the statue? this is to show respect? this is nonsense, what was Yu Suzuki thinking when he did this madness? i will put my copy of Shenmue III in the fire right now, there is nothing good about this game, i wasted my life, one more reason why this game is bad. :mad:

Shenmue I and III.png

I will never agree with Sharens, i will not be mad about this, i prefer to joke about this situation. 🥴

I will say again, people can like the game and people can dislike the game, i respect different opinions, but some complaints are really insane and funny at the same time so i had to joke about this, and put a smile on people's faces 😊

Last edited:
I will joke more about this 🥴 (I love this smilie)

Shenmue Fans Playing Shenmue one: This scene when Ryo is about to enter the Dojo is so nice, is a nice touch to the game, we even learn more about japanese culture this way, Shenmue Forever in my heart. 🥰

Sharens playing Shenmue III: We have to walk everytime when we are passing the statue? this is to show respect? this is nonsense, what was Yu Suzuki thinking when he did this madness? one more reason why this game is bad, i will put my copy of Shenmue III in the fire right now, i wasted my life, one more reason why this game is bad. :mad:

View attachment 9272

I will never agree with Sharens, i will not be mad about this, i prefer to joke about this situation. 🥴

I will say again, people can like the game and people can dislike the game, i respect different opinions, but some complaints are really insane and funny at the same time so i had to joke about this, and put a smile on people faces. 😊
There is no deying that that zone in Shenmue 3 is a loading area of Niwao and for the simple fact that Yu and is team made it a Shrine so that Ryo would have to walk instead of running because otherwise it would be culturaly disrespectful just makes me apreciate him more as game designer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back