The Pretentious Sophistry of Super Eyepatch Wolf and His Bad Take on Shenmue III

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no deying that that zone in Shenmue 3 is a loading area of Niwao and for the simple fact that Yu and is team made it a Shrine so that Ryo would have to walk instead of running because otherwise it would be culturaly disrespectful just makes me apreciate him more as game designer.
It's just bad level design to have a shrine at the end of an eating area that is the only entrance to the town. I'd rather see an old fashioned black screen like the first two games than constantly have to maneuver though that area.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing anyone interact with the shrine at all, or Ryo being able to interact with the shrine. That would have been a nice touch.

I will joke more about this 🥴 (I love this smilie)

Shenmue Fans Playing Shenmue one: This scene when Ryo is about to enter the Dojo is so nice, is a nice touch to the game, we even learn more about japanese culture this way, Shenmue Forever in my heart. 🥰

Sharens playing Shenmue III: We have to walk everytime when we are passing the statue? this is to show respect? this is nonsense, what was Yu Suzuki thinking when he did this madness? i will put my copy of Shenmue III in the fire right now, there is nothing good about this game, i wasted my life, one more reason why this game is bad. :mad:

View attachment 9272

I will never agree with Sharens, i will not be mad about this, i prefer to joke about this situation. 🥴

I will say again, people can like the game and people can dislike the game, i respect different opinions, but some complaints are really insane and funny at the same time so i had to joke about this, and put a smile on people's faces 😊
I don't know what Sharen means but what you're doing we call passive aggressive. Insulting others under the guise of "peace and gentility" isn't fooling anyone. It's better to be forthcoming.

Last edited:
Oh well, here we go... i can't joke anymore, i didn't invent this Sharen thing, ok? i'm not insulting anyone. You don't know me, i am really a gentle and peaceful person, i'm not here to fight.

@Sonoshee I did something wrong? if i did please tell me, and i'm autistic, if i really did something wrong please tell me. thanks.

It's just bad level design to have a shrine at the end of an eating area that is the only entrance to the town. I'd rather see an old fashioned black screen like the first two games than constantly have to maneuver though that area.

I don't know what Sharen means but what you're doing we call passive aggressive. Insulting others under the guise of "peace and gentility" isn't fooling anyone. It's better to be forthcoming.
I can understand that that traversal area can be bit bothering for most players but I bet with you or anyone else that if it had a black loading screen it would be also critiqued the same way.

@Sonoshee I did something wrong? if i did please tell me, and i'm autistic, if i really did something wrong please tell me. thanks.

Not at all, why do you ask?

I can understand the negativity against Shenmue 3 can be draining. But as long as the discussion remains civil then there's no issues.

Not at all, why do you ask?

I can understand the negativity against Shenmue 3 can be draining. But as long as the discussion remains civil then there's no issues.
Just read the last thing Thomosina wrote to me and you will understand.

If i really did something horrible i can stop, but i need to know the site staff opinions.

Just read the last thing Thomosina wrote to me and you will understand.

If i really did something horrible i can stop, but i need to know the site staff opinions.
@Hiki I can categorically say you've done nothing wrong at all. All I've seen from your posts is someone wanting to engage in a fair discussion, without any drama, which is what these forums are about.

There's been no issue in your posting style from any of the staff members at all. Carry on as you are.

Any questions mine or the other staffs DM's are open. I'm in and out of here through the day so may take time to reply :)

@Hiki I can categorically say you've done nothing wrong at all. All I've seen from your posts is someone wanting to engage in a fair discussion, without any drama, which is what these forums are about.

There's been no issue in your posting style from any of the staff members at all. Carry on as you are.

Any questions mine or the other staffs DM's are open. I'm in and out of here through the day so may take time to reply :)
He said i'm insulting people and that i'm being passive agressive, all i did was joke about the situation because some people are complaining about every little thing like if there is nothing good about the game, and he don't know me, i'm really a gentle and peaceful person, maybe i will really stay out of this discussions, i'm not angry about this, i want peace in my life, if some people want to hate everything about the game they can go ahead with all this hate, i think i prefer to not write about this subject anymore, maybe will be better like this.

Thanks Sonoshee and Spud1897 😊

Last edited:
I can understand that that traversal area can be bit bothering for most players but I bet with you or anyone else that if it had a black loading screen it would be also critiqued the same way.
Of course it would be criticized but that's a loading area regardless. Depends on preference, if you prefer trying to hide it or just accepting it for what it is. The black screens with the info are at least traditional for the series. The shrine as it is is just a dead area that logically does not make sense for a town entrance.

Traditional and not traditional stuff of the series by Thomasina:

R10A2P9.png

Gold.

Ryo collecting a Ryo figure is kinda weird. Not hugely immersion killing for me but I understand when people complain about it.

Being pandered to so blatantly is kind of off-putting after all this time. I didn't want Shenmue 3 to be about me or the fans, I wanted it to be about Ryo and the continuation of Shenmue. There's some tasteful fan service in the game, and some very tasteless fan service.

Of course it would be criticized but that's a loading area regardless. Depends on preference, if you prefer trying to hide it or just accepting it for what it is. The black screens with the info are at least traditional for the series. The shrine as it is is just a dead area that logically does not make sense for a town entrance.
Check these website pages and you will see that in China it is fairly common to have religious shrines among the city streets and in the case of the Shrine that we are talking about; it is from the chinese god Kuan Kung wich is considered to be the Chinese God of War that offers protection to those who worship him; he is also associated with Wealth and Business Success and he his the protector of the oppressed, patron saint of the police, guardian deity of the triads, politicians and business leaders alike.
So in my "Opinion" it does make sense from a cultural stand point to have the shrine in that area because it is a business area and it even makes sense to have it in Niwao because of its duality of being a God that protects both the oppresed (the people of Niwao) and the guardian deity of the triads ( Gangs = Red Snakes + Blue Spiders + Chiyoumen).

He said i'm insulting people and that i'm being passive agressive, all i did was joke about the situation because some people are complaining about every little thing like if there is nothing good about the game, and he don't know me, i'm really a gentle and peaceful person, maybe i will really stay out of this discussions, i'm not angry about this, i want peace in my life, if some people want to hate everything about the game they can go ahead with all this hate, i think i prefer to not write about this subject anymore, maybe will be better like this.

Thanks Sonoshee and Spud1897 😊
Don't let this put you off the forums. As I said no issues in your posting at all.

Plenty of other topics here which I've seen you in. As I said drop me a DM if there's anything that crops up.

Come to think of it, I don't recall ever seeing anyone interact with the shrine at all, or Ryo being able to interact with the shrine. That would have been a nice touch.

So glad you said its better to be forthcoming. I'm more than happy to be straight forward and get to the point

1) I personally don't like the super eyepatch wolf video and think is disingenuous. It has some fair points and he's entitled to his opinion though so fair play. If you want to see my detailed post about why i dislike it, search through this thread. I can't be bothered to post it again.

2) You criticisms about the response video are also valid and to be honest i agree with a lot of your points. People shouldn't have to have in depth knowledge about virtua fighter to enjoy a game. They should be able to pick it up, play it and have fun. The shrine issue and body check, I also agree. I think the shrine should be a black loading screen and the body checks look almost identical, so they really should have been two different moves. All my opinion though, people may disagree.

3) You personally @Thomasina have a history of being aggressive on this forum, derailing threads and causing drama. I have temporarily banned you in the past for such behavior as well. I won't be posting examples of this behavior here because i'm not wasting my time. Feel free to go through mine and your post history and dig them out though.

4) Over the last few pages, you have called members hysterical, hyperbolic and passive aggressive. You should realize members are given you that response because you have been doing the same thing to them constantly on the forums for the past 10 months.

5) Me and @Revan created the Sharen meme. The Sharen meme is simply a Shenmue Karen. Someone who whines, complains, loves drama, derails threads, plays the victim card etc etc. The reason we created it and the reason I will continue using it is because I am fed up of explaining the same thing to you and a few others over and over again. It's a waste of my time and everyone elses time.

6) If you're someone who thinks they are being silenced or censored or any of that other cr@p, I remind you, I personally created a thread on this forum for all members to suggest improvements and fixes for Shenmue 4, along with what they enjoyed about Shenmue 3. Even though I like Shenmue 3 a lot, it clearly has issues. On that note, members of the ysnet development team look over this forum, so they would have seen that thread numerous times already.

7) The Dojo mod team have also dealt with hardcore Shenmue 3 fans who love the series but have been trouble on the forums. There is no favoritism here. If you love or hate the game, cool. If you're causing problems though, we step in.

8) To be blunt, the Dojo mod team are probably too lenient and that's fine, but if you or anyone else sees that as an opportunity to cause trouble, don't be surprised when members of the forum rebel against you or you get the Sharen meme, which i personally will continue to post. If you see that as passive aggressive, that's fine by me. Stop causing trouble in general and stop whining every 5 seconds about the same thing.....in every thread.... and you wont get such a response.

Truth be told, I shouldn't even respond with the Sharen meme or a detailed post like this one, I should just give you a warning or a ban in the future, but as I say, the dojo team is very lenient and are willing to give people several chances. Plus the sharen meme is funny and a good laugh when people are trying to derail threads or just constantly whining about the same thing for the millionth time. It diffuses the drama before it gets a chance to start

Now look, if you're changing your ways and being more respectful and civil in your discussions which I hope you are, than fair play, everyone should give you the benefit of the doubt and go a bit easier on you. But if you continue the same nonsense which you have done over the last 10 months, you will continue to get the same response.

9) @Hiki you have great posts and have a history of awesome posts. I enjoy reading all your content on the forum, so don't worry about it. Keep being you and stay awesome :) Same goes for everyone else.

Hiki I'm not trying to silence you. I don't know you or have any issue with what you're posting aside from consensus that I'm some vicious troll but your trolling is some form of gentile righteous cause. It's just a forum about a video game. No one needs to win or leave. It's just chatting. If you think I'm trying to take you down or put you in your place you are wrong. I'm chatting about a series I love but a game I disdain. If my posts seem... aggressive or whatever, know that I'm here because I like to chat about Shenmue.

I
Who is they and what will they win? You guys need to knock off the conspiracy theories. So what if someone gave a negative reaction to your post. I get them all the time on this site.

No. He has no obligation to protect your feelings when reviewing a game he played. That's flat out ludicrous.

;)

No, i'm not trolling and i'm not insulting people here, everything that happened here today is making me sad.

One day i saw one people saying this "People who like Shenmue III are deluded" So i am deluded then? i'm not allowed to enjoy the game? i will not fight this person, i prefer to say nothing in this cases, so much hate and drama in the Shenmue community right now, i can't post anymore in threads like this thread here. We as community we need to stay together, LetsGetShenmueIV, remember? We will get a anime, Shenmue is alive and i'm happy about this.

I can't discuss about this subject anymore, i prefer to see other threads from now on, If you want to hate Shenmue III with all your heart go ahead, if you want to spend your days here always saying bad things about Shenmue III go ahead, it is your opinion and i'm not trying to silence you, i will keep my opinion about this thread to myself, i will keep my opinion about SEPW video and other videos like this to myself, i'm not angry, i just want peace in my life, right now i really need peace in my life.

I'm not here to fight, i'm here to make friends who likes Shenmue and talk about nice things. Please don't answer this, please don't continue this, i will not continue this, this ends now, thanks.

Last edited:
I didn't really go back far enough to see if it was my fault, but my apologies if I unnecessarily stirred the pot. Wasn't expecting to see so much activity after it.

Especially when it's such a niche and vulnerable series. If this were a multi-million seller then I'd be far less concerned.
I think there's a bit of a disconnect between where a lot of the detractors see the franchise, and where it actually is. I think a lot of them look on Shenmue sort of like TLoU2 or something, as deserving of a 'fall from grace.' I think they see themselves as pointing out some great injustice, when in reality they're kind of kicking something while it's down. It's pretty classic bully behavior. It's like Suzuki and his team announced, 'Hey, fans! Thanks for helping us with some of the expenses for our beach day. We made this sand castle for you! We hope you like it. We worked really hard on carving out the windows and adding balconies, even though Tanaka-san and Saito-san had to use toothpicks to do it. We're hoping to add some more towers, and some more to the grounds and gardens a bit later.' Then two tons of fun, Jim Sterling (et al) come stomping over, and put a boot through it, 'I don't see what the big deal is about your sand castle. Looks pretty shit to me.'

By the way it is also my "Opinion" that Yu Suzuki managed to transmit me the feeling of going back home with Shenmue 3 trough my playtime in Bailu village.
It reminded me of Shenmue 1's Yokosuka; by staying at Shenhua's house it reminded me of Ryo's house in Yamanose.
Both homes are a bit far away from the main location and by walking every morning to Bailu Village and coming back at night to Shenhua's house; it reminded me of the exact same thing of when I walked from Ryo's house to Dobuita and came back home at night.
In a way Shenhua also reminded me of Ine San; by having her around the house and waking up in the morning and having her in the kitchen preparing the meals.
The fact that the villagers knew Shenhua very well also reminded me of Shenmue 1's inhabitants knowing Ryo as well; it reminded me of HOME.
The little girl named Lin reminded me of Megumi in Shenmue 1.
The children in the Sun Flower Grove remined me of the children in Yamanose and Sakuragaoka.
Even the elderly people of Bailu reminded me of the elderly people in Shenmue 1.
The training at the Dojo in Bailu reminded of the training at the Dojo in the Hazuki residence.
I could go on and on with more things that made Shenmue 3 remind me of HOME in Shenmue 1.
It is my "OPINION" that Yu Suzuki and his team did a great job in transmiting that feeling of going back home in Shenmue 3.
Yeah, I agree. I think the cynical among us might say that it's all just fan service to make things feel kind of like the original Shenmue, but I think it probably was intentionally done for a greater effect: To give a sense of Ryo finding some semblance of "home" when he's the furthest from home he's (probably) ever been.

Me and @Revan created the Sharen meme. The Sharen meme is simply a Shenmue Karen. Someone who whines, complains, loves drama, derails threads, plays the victim card etc etc.
I am honoured to have co-created something so profound and beautiful as the Sharen meme. It is indeed my greatest life achievement yet. 🙂

I think there's a bit of a disconnect between where a lot of the detractors see the franchise, and where it actually is. I think a lot of them look on Shenmue sort of like TLoU2 or something, as deserving of a 'fall from grace.' I think they see themselves as pointing out some great injustice, when in reality they're kind of kicking something while it's down. It's pretty classic bully behavior. It's like Suzuki and his team announced, 'Hey, fans! Thanks for helping us with some of the expenses for our beach day. We made this sand castle for you! We hope you like it. We worked really hard on carving out the windows and adding balconies, even though Tanaka-san and Saito-san had to use toothpicks to do it. We're hoping to add some more towers, and some more to the grounds and gardens a bit later.' Then two tons of fun, Jim Sterling (et al) come stomping over, and put a boot through it, 'I don't see what the big deal is about your sand castle. Looks pretty shit to me.'
I think it's just not a particularly good game that clicked with a lot of people. Working hard doesn't guarantee a game will be good. There's tons of shitty games that have been released that people absolutely worked hard on. I played a really crappy game earlier this year called The Quiet Man. It was awful, and a reminder that Shenmue 3 definitely is not the worst game I've ever played, but I bet those people worked hard on The Quiet Man. It's still a terrible game though. Hard work doesn't earn a free pass on criticism.

Kind of ironic you're identifying bullying behaviour and in the same paragraph fat shame Jim Sterling. Come on....

4) Over the last few pages, you have called members hysterical, hyperbolic and passive aggressive. You should realize members are given you that response because you have been doing the same thing to them constantly on the forums for the past 10 months.
The conspiracy theories and victim mentality are terrible and shouldn't be nurtured on this site. Shenmue fans aren't targeted, nor is the Shenmue series. A lot of people let these things slide on this site and I think that's far more harmful than the naysayers on this forum.

8) To be blunt, the Dojo mod team are probably too lenient and that's fine, but if you or anyone else sees that as an opportunity to cause trouble, don't be surprised when members of the forum rebel against you or you get the Sharen meme, which i personally will continue to post. If you see that as passive aggressive, that's fine by me. Stop causing trouble in general and stop whining every 5 seconds about the same thing.....in every thread.... and you wont get such a response.

Truth be told, I shouldn't even respond with the Sharen meme or a detailed post like this one, I should just give you a warning or a ban in the future, but as I say, the dojo team is very lenient and are willing to give people several chances. Plus the sharen meme is funny and a good laugh when people are trying to derail threads or just constantly whining about the same thing for the millionth time. It diffuses the drama before it gets a chance to start
You can't create a meme to mock people then be upset when that's pointed out as passive aggressive. It's mocking. I'm not bothered by it, but it's there and that's what it is.

As for drama and fighting, I don't perceive activity as drama or inherently negative. I'm glad there's people saying the game sucks and that we can talk about it. It connects us, and I think the negative perception will ultimately ensure a better Shenmue 4. If the game only received glowing reviews, I would feel quite hopeless about the series continuing with the high level of fan service, and the misdirection of the story. Bad reviews keep developers in check. The criticism is what gives me hope for the future of the series.

The community should be open to all discussions (unless it resorts to blatant flaming and the such). I don't know why you'd post that you should be more harsh in bans and account removals. It's an incredibly small community as is and removing people would make it even smaller. For a lot of us Shenmue 1 and 2 will forever be fantastic games, while Shenmue 3 will always be a so-so to bad game. That's what we're stuck with now. Trying to eliminate those views from the community will only hurt the community in the long run.

I think it's just not a particularly good game that clicked with a lot of people. Working hard doesn't guarantee a game will be good. There's tons of shitty games that have been released that people absolutely worked hard on. I played a really crappy game earlier this year called The Quiet Man. It was awful, and a reminder that Shenmue 3 definitely is not the worst game I've ever played, but I bet those people worked hard on The Quiet Man. It's still a terrible game though. Hard work doesn't earn a free pass on criticism.

Kind of ironic you're identifying bullying behaviour and in the same paragraph fat shame Jim Sterling. Come on....
I think we've already had quite enough discussion on the reasons why you don't like the game, and how those criticisms don't equate to the game being poorly made, but instead that they inconvenience you on a personal level. I have to imagine that if you actually put as much time into playing the game in a more meaningful way, as you've put into complaining about it, you probably wouldn't hate it so much.

You're right, it wasn't kind of me to poke fun at his weight, but in this particular case, I don't feel bad about it. There's no reason I have to be the bigger man. (I literally don't have the body type to do it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back