Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

I had a dream last night that Shenmue IV had just been released. There was a combat scene where Ryo was fighting in an open field and he could pull of Dragon Ball Z-style moves, like punching people into the air. He was fighting a woman who used magic. In my head I was thinking, "I love it, but some fans are going to be upset" :ROFLMAO:

I wonder when we'll get any sorta movement on IV? With covid-19 ruining everyone's plans this year and studios not fully opening til next year hopefully. I wonder if we'll get a announcement in 2022.

We are getting close to a whole year since the release of Shenmue III. Isn't it amazing how fast time pass by?
The two weeks before it's release felt unreal. I counted each day.
At wierd times like this, there was at least some (very) good news with the anime and I'm glad that it is being worked on.
However. For me personally it can't be a complete replacement for two more games.
I keep on hoping that Yu will at least say something new about the future of Shemmue IV in November.

Just give us something to look forward to. There's some confirmation out there already.. but the more, the better.

We are getting close to a whole year since the release of Shenmue III. Isn't it amazing how fast time pass by?
The two weeks before it's release felt unreal. I counted each day.
At wierd times like this, there was at least some (very) good news with the anime and I'm glad that it is being worked on.
However. For me personally it can't be a complete replacement for two more games.
I keep on hoping that Yu will at least say something new about the future of Shemmue IV in November.

Just give us something to look forward to. There's some confirmation out there already.. but the more, the better.
TBF we have quite a busy end of year coming up in terms of Shenmue. Steam and GOG releases, the Dojo turns 20 on Nov 14th (we've got a bunch of cracking stuff lined up for that) plus the Shenmue III music goes on sale.

Shenmue 4 is more a possibility now than ever. Plus the Anime!

TBF we have quite a busy end of year coming up in terms of Shenmue. Steam and GOG releases, the Dojo turns 20 on Nov 14th (we've got a bunch of cracking stuff lined up for that) plus the Shenmue III music goes on sale.

Shenmue 4 is more a possibility now than ever. Plus the Anime!
Thanks for the reminder! I can relax now :coffee:. I think IV will be well worth the wait.

I could see Shenmue 4 starting from the Lan Di fight in the old castle. It gives us a quick recap of the story so far, reinforces the power differences between Ryo and Lan Di at the start of the game (which will make a great contrast with the possible end of 4, with Ryo being able to compete with him) and it also allows Yu to potentially expand on the information Shenhua's dad shared with Ryo, in addition to clearing up some of the confusion about Ryo's line about the old temple.

Wow time flies it's crazy to think it's already been a year since III. I remember a interview Yu did maybe last year and he said that the whole saga will span 2-3 years in-game. so I wonder if IV or more likely V will have a possible time jump to show how much Ryo has grown as a martial artist. I'm a firm believer in Yu that IV will happen possibly sooner than later. Exciting times are ahead for the Shenmue brand and community.

I have an idea. See what you think....

In an interview with IGN Japan Yu Suzuki said a possible improvement for 4 was -

Suzuki "The quest marker is a place where you can understand the main quest and sub quests, where you can cash money and where you can battle. But don't tell too much, it will be displayed when you get the information. I want to make it a system. "

That was through Google translate mind you, but it sounds a bit like a guild system i.e. Horizon zero dawn. Instead of that what if it was a doctor who was funding a rebellion/ running a mobile hospital against the chi you men who were invading an area? It would give you battles to fight, a hospital to fund or a need to find ingredients for medicines. The more people you help save, the more shops are able to reopen in the area offering moves etc.

Or chi you men attack a kung fu school and the more of those you heal,the larger your army to attack their base.

Not the most Shenmue of ideas, but it would be crazy if there was a permadeath option for them as well making shops close permanently which would make each playthrough different. Might be enough of a emotional punch to mean they might not have to kill a main character at the end if they were going to go with something like that. I feel like the longer they wait for the final fight with lan di, without having Lan Di kill someone else, the less impactful his 'bad guy' image is, unless the goal is for Ryo to ask him why he killed his dad and then forgive him. The lady in red already taking the evil baddie crown in Shenmue 3 whereas Lan Di was calm and collected. If Lan Di or the lady in red kills someone else important, perhaps then Ryo can focus on helping someone else instead of just his own revenge.

Just an idea.

Last edited:
Back