Shenmue 3 Steam's version

Do you know how to review something in Steam?
The way I did it was through the store front. You have to have booted up the game for at least 10 minutes.

Boot game, play, go to storefront on steam, it should give you an option to leave a review with a thumbs up/down icon. Click that and away you go.

Yeah. But it is also worth noting that the most like review on Steam ( more than 1500 likes and countless awards) is a pretty pretty bad review. Literally trashing the game.

I don't agree with it (here's the link to it : https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198085926417/recommended/878670/), but maybe the haters just didn't reviewed the game yet?
Just to add from this post : the review is very stupid, because it doesn't explain why the game is bad. It's just the old bullshittery "they didn't respect players with EGS, they had alot of money from Sony and Deep Silver, they are milking you, Super Eyepatched Wolf is right, Shenmue 3 is dead".

But I'm concerned by the fact that a review that tells so little can be received so well.

Yeah. But it is also worth noting that the most like review on Steam ( more than 1500 likes and countless awards) is a pretty pretty bad review. Literally trashing the game.

I don't agree with it (here's the link to it : https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198085926417/recommended/878670/), but maybe the haters just didn't reviewed the game yet?
That review is trash of the highest nature. Typical hyperbole and also a bunch of misinformation in there. It reviewed averagely and did financially fine as we know. This sort of thing gets likes on the internet I'm afraid.

If someone doesn't like the game, as long as there's a rational discussion behind it then carry on. But this is clearly motivated by the epic issues which exasperated their dislike for the game.

You can flag these sorts of reviews and ask Steam to look into them.

I'm not getting away from the crappy PR the game had, the bad communication etc or the bad move they made given the reputation epic had.... that's on Deep Silver but it shouldn't cloud ones judgement of a game. It doesn't impact the quality.

Most people don't read these reviews, they see 89% positive and think sod it I'll buy it, especially as all in with the DLC £20 isn't bad at all.

That review is trash of the highest nature. Typical hyperbole and also a bunch of misinformation in there. It reviewed averagely and did financially fine as we know. This sort of thing gets likes on the internet I'm afraid.

If someone doesn't like the game, as long as there's a rational discussion behind it then carry on. But this is clearly motivated by the epic issues which exasperated their dislike for the game.

You can flag these sorts of reviews and ask Steam to look into them.

I'm not getting away from the crappy PR the game had, the bad communication etc or the bad move they made given the reputation epic had.... that's on Deep Silver but it shouldn't cloud ones judgement of a game. It doesn't impact the quality.

Most people don't read these reviews, they see 89% positive and think sod it I'll buy it, especially as all in with the DLC £20 isn't bad at all.
Oh yeah. This is the kind of review I find pretty stupid. It is hyperbolic and focus mostly on things that have nothing to do with the game. And are also filled with misinformations, yeah.

It hasn't been trashed by the medias, since it is at 69% on metacritc and has players review around 6.5 to 7.5 on most websites. Hardcore fans still liked it, hence the reviews on Steam and elsewhere. It did well financially. Yes it was below what was expected from Deep Silver. But it was still their most sold product the quarter it released and achieved financial profitability, despite the very vocal hate there was even before the release and the vocal hate after. And of course, those reviews don't say that you could ask for a refund if you wanted...

And I don't understand because there are people who played the game and genuinely didn't like it and said so. And their take, even if I don't agree with it at all, is still a good take, because they focus on the game and only the game, and tell in a very down to earth manner why they didn't like the game.

I don't comprehend that one year after the official release, there are still takes with so much wrong informations.

LOOOL look at that review

Epic trash ✓
PS2/PS3 early graphics ✓
ALL the fans hated it no question about it ✓
SEW's video quote ✓
S3 was a mistake ✓

10/10

I was pretty surprised when I saw people saying they haven't launched the game and awaited the game on Steam. So the platform is more important than a game you've waited for for almost 20 years?

Those people doesnt care a shit about Shenmue

Last edited:
Epic trash ✓
PS2/PS3 early graphics ✓
ALL the fans hated it no question about it ✓
SEW's video quote ✓
S3 was a mistake ✓
The holy grail of Shenmue 3's reviews !

Those people doesnt care a shit about Shenmue
Yeah, I can't belive that a fan that awaited this game for 18 years, suddenly decided not to play it because the publisher unilateraly decided that the game would be available somewhere else for a limited period of time. Lmao, 6 years ago we were like "we would do literally anything for Shenmue 3 to happen", but apparently, installing another launcher and playing the game there is already too much for some of them :unsure:

Also I love the :

I want this game to serve as a reminder, that no matter how much you liked something 20 freaking years ago, it comes a point in life when you have to let go.

And yet, this dude bought it again one after its release and took time to write a review to tell us how bad this game is. Weird way of letting go. Lmao.

Last edited:
Also... Shenmue had always been a console game exclusive to one or another. Forget storefront being a goddamn launcher icon on your desktop, to get into the series you had to choose an entire console to get a hold of them.

Let alone--personally--only ever seeing Shenmue as a console game, although I'm biased. In fact, Shenmue will get me to eventually finally buy a 2010 or 2013 Mac Pro and boot camp for Windows simply to play Shenmue HD with @Streamer and Shenmue lll @LemonHaze mods (Shogun 2 Total War doesn't hurt, either)

The holy grail of Shenmue 3's reviews !

Yeah, I can't belive that a fan that awaited this game for 18 years, suddenly decided not to play it because the publisher unilateraly decided that the game would be available somewhere else for a limited period of time. Lmao, 6 years ago we were like "we would do literally anything for Shenmue 3 to happen", but apparently, installing another launcher and playing the game there is already too much for some of them :unsure:

Also I love the :

And yet, this dude bought it again one after its release and took time to write a review to tell us how bad this game is. Weird way of letting go. Lmao.
This was the review that i put one part here on the Dojo, the part where he talks bad about Yu Suzuki, he said that Shenmue III is a insult to fans and Yu Suzuki reputation, he said that Yu Suzuki decided to sell any prestige he had left the moment he took the money to make the game. In one part he said that there is nothing good about this game.

Like i always say people can dislike Shenmue III but in some cases is clear that the person don't care about Shenmue. You gave 6 to the game, right? you always comment in a respectful way, this is the difference for me, i can have nice conversations with people that didn't love the game, respect is important in my opinion.

I remember the day when i saw this comment on YouTube... "People who like Shenmue III are deluded" in this case i can have a nice conversation with this person? probably not.

There's some serious crybaby bitches writing tantrums about PC storefronts in the guise of 'reviews' as part of their weird pledge of allegiance to combat the evil EPIC Games with their plastic Half-Life replica crowbars.

But thankfully, the community hub is brimming with content and positive reviews, so the odd "Please don't buy! :crying:" post just looks hilarious and cringeworthy at this point.

Otherwise, I bought the standard version and started playing it this morning.
Some people are pathetic. Im sure they get a temporary, cheap emotional high from that miserable behavior as well. They're fighting the big bad evil monster for the greater good after all.

You have to ask yourself, if a store front can cause them this much stress and misery, what the h£ll is gonna happen when these people face real problems in the real world?

This was the review that i put one part here on the Dojo, the part where he talks bad about Yu Suzuki, he said that Shenmue III is a insult to fans and Yu Suzuki reputation, he said that Yu Suzuki decided to sell any prestige he had left the moment he took the money to make the game. In one part he said that there is nothing good about this game.
Yeah, this is so disrespectful to the fans, but also to Yu Suzuki. It's just wrong. Yu Suzuki tried his hardest to make Shenmue 3 for us (and for him also). If he wanted to sell the prestige he had for quick buck, he would have stayed at Sega and have a bullshit job not doing anything in particular and having a very nice wage just so Sega could put his name on various project as consultant/producer. But he did the opposite, he left Sega and funded his own game company. He tried a lot of ways to create Shenmue 3. By making Shenmue City and so on. I'm totally on par with you. You don't like the game, that's okay, everyone has their opinion. But spreading misinformations, lies and being disrespectful, it's just too much.

Like i always say people can dislike Shenmue III but in some cases is clear that the person don't care about Shenmue. You gave 6 to the game, right? you always comment in a respectful way, this is the difference for me, i can have nice conversations with people that didn't love the game, respect is important in my opinion.
I give 6,5 to Shenmue 3 yes. But I think I'm leaning more toward the 7 as time goes haha. I'll see when I'll complete it a second time around !
But yeah, for me it's all about respect. I have my opinion about the game. I liked it. I think it was fine. It was just a good game, not more, not less. But I know some people really genuinely loved the game and some people hated the game. But it's fine, as long as you're honest and not just a dumb hater dismissing everything good and great this game has to offer.

I remember the day when i saw this comment on YouTube... "People who like Shenmue III are deluded" in this case i can have a nice conversation with this person? probably not.
Yeah, I saw alot of comments like that as well. I go often on Reddit. and on the Shenmue Subreddit... Damn. People often posts stuff like "this is the worst game I've ever played, people who like it are blind." And then you have this double take that you are either "A blind fan that can't admit the game sucks !" or "You were not a real fan and you did not understand Shenmue !" We are the Schrödinger's fans ! Both fans and not fans ! Yay !

Actually, I red that at the dojo

I was pretty surprised when I saw people saying they haven't launched the game and awaited the game on Steam. So the platform is more important than a game you've waited for for almost 20 years?
I agree with your overall sentiment, but if I might offer an appreciable response:

I figured that the development time of III made it unlikely that there would be a IV significantly developed or even released by the time exclusivity ended, and since EGS' value-add was dire and improving at a glacial pace (a trend that ultimately never improved), come what is now the present day I would want to be playing it elsewhere anyway.

Given reasonable confidence that by the time it's done I'll be waiting for IV just like everyone else, I wanted my first playthrough of III to be in the best available format. So in that sense I don't believe those two things are mutually exclusive and needn't be pit against each other.

I agree with your overall sentiment, but if I might offer an appreciable response:

I figured that the development time of III made it unlikely that there would be a IV significantly developed or even released by the time exclusivity ended, and since EGS' value-add was dire and improving at a glacial pace (a trend that ultimately never improved), come what is now the present day I would want to be playing it elsewhere anyway.

Given reasonable confidence that by the time it's done I'll be waiting for IV just like everyone else, I wanted my first playthrough of III to be in the best available format. So in that sense I don't believe those two things are mutually exclusive and needn't be pit against each other.
I'm really sorry, I'm not sure I understood you correctly :disrelieved:

Let me rephrase what I understood and tell me if I'm right or wrong :
So you said that you were ok waiting because EGS is really a bad launcher, a bad place with not enough features etc... and since Shenmue 4 was going to take time anyway, it didn't bother you to wait for the Steam release before engaging into it, right ?

Lol I'm sorry I'm not gonna understand it.

Best available format? It's a launcher. It's even the same price.

Yeah, steam it's coolest, but I wont be waiting one year because I dont like how that launcher looks. It's not a console like "I dont have it and I cant afford it".

I'm sorry but Its ridiculous. Ps2 graphicz arguments are better than that.

I found one positive review that was really different, the person had his first contact with a Shenmue game in Shenmue III, i understood that, the person said... "My first experience with Shenmue, and i can say that i didnt see any negative points, just characteristics that i waited from a game made for the fans. i really hope that there is more games like this, or that somebody copy and make clones because i really need it."

I found this review really different and interesting, this person is discovering Shenmue with Shenmue III and he thinks that the Shenmue experience is really nice, really interesting to see how people have different opinions and tastes about games.

I found one positive review that was really different, the person had his first contact with a Shenmue game in Shenmue III, i understood that, the person said... "My first experience with Shenmue, and i can say that i didnt see any negative points, just characteristics that i waited from a game made for the fans. i really hope that there is more games like this, or that somebody copy and make clones because i really need it."

I found this review really different and interesting, this person is discovering Shenmue with Shenmue III and he thinks that the Shenmue experience is really nice, really interesting to see how people have different opinions and tastes about games.
That's really interesting. I'm really intrigue by the opinion of people who only played S3. And their opinion after playing S1 and S2, if that changed their view of the third game or not.

With proper upscaling (whether launch PS3, OSSC) PS2 games like Yakuza and MGS2/MGS3 or Shadow of Colossus and Gran Turismo 4 etc still look great despite PS2s atrocious video out.

PS3 games still look amazing espeically once programmers got the hang of the architecture a bit better by 2009. There's a reason why games too much longer than usual to look better on PS4--Cell was ridiculously overpowered and still impressive today. Cross gen like MGS5, Alien Isolation and Evil Within I literally cannot see a massive difference aside from frame rate.

Classic fucking IBM... PowerPC G5 all over again. Amazing and ahead of time, yet too damn advanced and power hungry for their own good.

That's really interesting. I'm really intrigue by the opinion of people who only played S3. And their opinion after playing S1 and S2, if that changed their view of the third game or not.
The person have Shenmue I and II in the wishlist now, this person did that yesterday so i really think it was a real opinion about Shenmue III, maybe the person really never played Shenmue I and II, this review was really different and unique.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry, I'm not sure I understood you correctly :disrelieved:

Let me rephrase what I understood and tell me if I'm right or wrong :
So you said that you were ok waiting because EGS is really a bad launcher, a bad place with not enough features etc... and since Shenmue 4 was going to take time anyway, it didn't bother you to wait for the Steam release before engaging into it, right ?
That's exactly right, yes. To elaborate, EGS did not support cloud saving on Shenmue III (an admittedly rushed researching says it still does not) and had I started the game in last year this would have caused me regular inconvenience as I frequently switched mostly between two habitats.

(Surprisingly it seems the game does not make use of Steam Cloud either, though perhaps that would have been set up had exclusivity not happened; the Steam release had minimal effort, with no changes to the videos leaving the older "A Day in Shenmue" trailer as the only one shown. A small upside of the lockdown is my travel has dramatically reduced this year so I don't need cloud saving nearly as much, but I couldn't have foreseen and wouldn't have benefit from that last year.)

Meanwhile as admittedly trivial as achievements are, I still like them and consider any sensible inclusion of them an addition to a game.

Back