Shenmue 3 Steam's version

I found one positive review that was really different, the person had his first contact with a Shenmue game in Shenmue III, i understood that, the person said... "My first experience with Shenmue, and i can say that i didnt see any negative points, just characteristics that i waited from a game made for the fans. i really hope that there is more games like this, or that somebody copy and make clones because i really need it."

I found this review really different and interesting, this person is discovering Shenmue with Shenmue III and he thinks that the Shenmue experience is really nice, really interesting to see how people have different opinions and tastes about games.
Interesting review. Have you got a link for it?

That's exactly right, yes. To elaborate, EGS did not support cloud saving on Shenmue III (an admittedly rushed researching says it still does not) and had I started the game in last year this would have caused me regular inconvenience as I frequently switched mostly between two habitats.

(Surprisingly it seems the game does not make use of Steam Cloud either, though perhaps that would have been set up had exclusivity not happened; the Steam release had minimal effort, with no changes to the videos leaving the older "A Day in Shenmue" trailer as the only one shown. A small upside of the lockdown is my travel has dramatically reduced this year so I don't need cloud saving nearly as much, but I couldn't have foreseen and wouldn't have benefit from that last year.)

Meanwhile as admittedly trivial as achievements are, I still like them and consider any sensible inclusion of them an addition to a game.
Ah yes, I understand better you're position. That clarifies alot thank you.
But I was mostly talking about those who really considers the EGS as a backstab to the fans, that took it as an insult, and had absolutely no reason not to install the EGS, except of pure hate.

But I can understand the disappointement in the case of people like you, where the EGS just doesn't do. As long as you don't hate on the whole game for it afterwards especially when the devs had nothing to do with it. Like stated before, Shenmue (as many other games) were exclusive to the Dreamcast/Xbox back then, so you had to invest in particular consoles if you wanted to play. Now, it's just a store on PC, with its down, yes, but not that big a deal in the end, IMHO.

Keep us updated on you journey !

again for those that know its going on on shenmue dojo that they are buying 10 copies to give 10 good reviews to shill the game. allready 5 guys i know there did that so thats 50 reviews.

this community is not open minded to others and be prepared to be in a shock when u buy this game and question your life and feel the buyers remorse or slight dissapointment starting to rise in you

LMAOOOOOOOOOO, now they are even lying about us on the Steam forums about the fact that the reviews are too good for them. They can't let go the fact that this game wasn't a disappointement to the very vast majority of the people who played it.

LMAOOOOOOOOOO, now they are even lying about us on the Steam forums about the fact that the reviews are too good for them. They can't let go the fact that this game wasn't a disappointement to the very vast majority of the people who played it.
Christ alive. You will get haters and people who love it no matter the discussion point.

The issue, same with Metacritic, is that the reviews are predominantly about a launcher not the game. So people will give 10's where it's not warranted as they will 0's which balance out I'd say.

Someone doesn't like it, fine, someone likes it, great. Express it as such, on your view of the quality of the game. Under metrics, taking that into account still suggest fans liked the game.

Also, for want of repeating myself, that person needs to look at the topics here and see how many topics had negative spin/discussion the mods let flow, only stepping in when needed.

Hyperbole isn't welcome here. Good, fair respectful discussion is and always will be.

Luckily we have the majority of users, on both sides who do this :)

I'm a big Shenmue fan and i bought Shenmue III on Steam once, i still didn't played it, i don't even know if my laptop can handle to run Shenmue III, i still didn't wrote a review. I think i will play Shenmue I and II again before replaying Shenmue III

Sad to see that some people are acting this way. acting like we are not a open minded community and things like that.

Last edited:
As someone who bought two Steam copies, they both went to two random people I know next to nothing about. I wouldn't waste them on dummy review accounts for myself when I could use them to possibly spark interest in new players instead.

That being said, the fact that some detractors are so perturbed by the positive Steam reviews has got to be a win for us #ProS3 bois. The fact they're so blind-sided by people actually liking the game makes me think some of the more agnostic parties sitting on the sidelines are as well... And that may just be enough to get some of them curious enough to try the game for themselves.

Ah yes, I understand better you're position. That clarifies alot thank you.
But I was mostly talking about those who really considers the EGS as a backstab to the fans, that took it as an insult, and had absolutely no reason not to install the EGS, except of pure hate.
Oh absolutely. I do think it's okay for people to criticise EGS exclusivity if they know it'll materially affect others even if it won't affect them. But some people just want any excuse to hate on the game and to use the dislike of EGS for easy criticism when they neither share nor understand it feels pretty abusive of that dislike, to the point that it even undermines people's valid complaints. I don't like that either.

Don't worry, I wouldn't let that or the wait affect whatever I come to feel about the game. I've waited a year and kept myself mostly safe from spoilers and impressions, I'm going to give it a fair shot! 🙂

I find it crazy that they can't accept this : that the majority still thinks positively about the game. They support literal complotist theory by thinking we all bought like 10 copies of the game on Steam, just to give it a good review 10 times... They think that the grades on the countless websites are hoax or something. They simply can't accept that most people still think this game was ok and wasn't a catastrophe.

I don't understand why 1 year after its release, you feel the need to continue to trash the game every occasions you have and be disrespectful towards the people who enjoyed it and the creators. It's been a year, let the people who enjoyed it and wait for Shenmue 4 be happy and enjoy the series and stop spreading your negativity.

At the end of the day, Shenmue fans won, they lost and continue to lose

I really do wish i had mystic meg's crystal ball and could see the lives of these people. I can guarantee its a life of misery in every aspect. Who spends their time hating on a launcher? And better yet, who on earth, waits a year for a game and buys it just to write a negative review about a piece of software (epic launcher)

People's behavior always leaves clues as to what type of person they are in real life. Be it online or offline.

I won't say what type of people these lot are as big daddy @spud1897 would have to ban me for my excessive rude language, but I think we all know deep down. Better yet, i'd bet within 5 minutes of meeting any of these people in real life, we'd run a mile because of the toxic vibes they would give off.

Oh well, Shenmue fans continue to win and they cant handle it, which is good, so take that! haha

Last edited:
Let's face it: many people are, have been and will always be hypocrites. This is also one of the many reasons, why I don't have accounts on neither Steam, nor Epic, not even on GOG or any other platform, because of the "radioactivity" of hatred. Just because there are people who enjoy a game, that has been practically unearthed after almost two decades, it does not give the haters any right to spew idiotic insults at the TRUE fans, who were only speaking their mind in a matter of complete common sense.
I know, this isn't the right thread to discuss this, but are you guys familiar with games such as Star Citizen, SCUM and Yandere Simulator? All three games are among my favorites, I even happen to be a very good friend of Yandere Dev. But the thing is, all three of them are in alpha development stages, and yet they have a massive cult following standing next to them. Unfortunately, the developers have been targeted by drama-seekers and gossipers and of course haters, who were willing to do anything to dig up trash in the developers' past and bring them to the brink of mental breakdown. Over two years ago, I managed to strike a friendship with Yandere Dev, who politely explained everything that has been going with the game, while I stood beside and comforted him when he was literally down in the dumps. Even though my support was in the form of E-mails, we managed to develop a strong and lasting friendship, that will remain that way even after he fully finishes his game.
Returning back to the three games: the first one gained notoriety by becoming one of the most funded projects in the history of Kickstarter, reportedly amassing hundreds of millions of dollars. The vocal minority - read haters have argued, that the project is a cash grab, but I was amazed by the dozens of features it has to offer, focusing on planetary exploration.
The second one promises to be the most realistic survival game ever made, taking place on an island within a reality TV show, focusing on survival elements such as hunting, crafting, cooking, etc. The list of features is massive, but only 30 people work on it, and yet the spoiled brats that call themselves "fans" are criticizing the devs of being incompetent and lazy, when they're just doing everything they can!
The final one is about a Japanese high school girl who fell in love with her senior and will do anything in her power to eliminate anyone standing in her way. Only one person works on the project, who also happens to be my friend, yet the drama escalated so high, that he nearly cancelled the project, but guess what? He successfully finished the demo this August and is now fully focusing on finishing the rest of the game.
I am very sorry for such an exhausting read, but I could not help myself let go after reading people speak ill of others when they did nothing wrong. Let bygones be bygones, look forward to a better tomorrow, and most importantly: leave people you don't know be and let them finish their job. Simple as pie.

Let's face it: many people are, have been and will always be hypocrites. This is also one of the many reasons, why I don't have accounts on neither Steam, nor Epic, not even on GOG or any other platform, because of the "radioactivity" of hatred. Just because there are people who enjoy a game, that has been practically unearthed after almost two decades, it does not give the haters any right to spew idiotic insults at the TRUE fans, who were only speaking their mind in a matter of complete common sense.
I know, this isn't the right thread to discuss this, but are you guys familiar with games such as Star Citizen, SCUM and Yandere Simulator? All three games are among my favorites, I even happen to be a very good friend of Yandere Dev. But the thing is, all three of them are in alpha development stages, and yet they have a massive cult following standing next to them. Unfortunately, the developers have been targeted by drama-seekers and gossipers and of course haters, who were willing to do anything to dig up trash in the developers' past and bring them to the brink of mental breakdown. Over two years ago, I managed to strike a friendship with Yandere Dev, who politely explained everything that has been going with the game, while I stood beside and comforted him when he was literally down in the dumps. Even though my support was in the form of E-mails, we managed to develop a strong and lasting friendship, that will remain that way even after he fully finishes his game.
Returning back to the three games: the first one gained notoriety by becoming one of the most funded projects in the history of Kickstarter, reportedly amassing hundreds of millions of dollars. The vocal minority - read haters have argued, that the project is a cash grab, but I was amazed by the dozens of features it has to offer, focusing on planetary exploration.
The second one promises to be the most realistic survival game ever made, taking place on an island within a reality TV show, focusing on survival elements such as hunting, crafting, cooking, etc. The list of features is massive, but only 30 people work on it, and yet the spoiled brats that call themselves "fans" are criticizing the devs of being incompetent and lazy, when they're just doing everything they can!
The final one is about a Japanese high school girl who fell in love with her senior and will do anything in her power to eliminate anyone standing in her way. Only one person works on the project, who also happens to be my friend, yet the drama escalated so high, that he nearly cancelled the project, but guess what? He successfully finished the demo this August and is now fully focusing on finishing the rest of the game.
I am very sorry for such an exhausting read, but I could not help myself let go after reading people speak ill of others when they did nothing wrong. Let bygones be bygones, look forward to a better tomorrow, and most importantly: leave people you don't know be and let them finish their job. Simple as pie.
Yeah I know those 3 games. But I'm more familiar with Star Citizen, since I play it. I know the other 2 by names only.

But very good example. If I take Star Citizen, It's true that there are alot of haters saying that this is a scam, that they are being robbed etc... It's very vocal, if you know the project from far away, you'd almost think that Star Citizen would die soon because everyone was leaving. Yet, 2020 was their best years concerning donation/backing/pledges

So while there is a very vocal minority who loves to trash the game et Chris Roberts, the fact that it's the best year in SC history proves that the majority is still behind the project and still believes in it. But they just don't vocally say it.

I just hope Yu Suzuki can find better ways to make Shenmue IV and V, i say this because Yu Suzuki really don't deserve this hate, this hate about Kickstarter/Deep silver/Epic. Some people talk now as if he is a liar, traitor and a bad person.

He don't have the obligation to continue Shenmue but he did it for the fans, he cares about Shenmue but i think the big reason that he did it was for the fans, in my opinion he really cares about Shenmue fans, i respect him a lot.

Last edited:
I just hope Yu Suzuki can find better ways to make Shenmue IV and V, i say this because Yu Suzuki really don't deserve this hate, this hate about Kickstarter/Deep silver/Epic. Some people talk now as if he is a liar, traitor and a bad person.

He don't have the obligation to continue Shenmue but he did it for the fans, he cares about Shenmue but i think the big reason that he did it was for the fans, in my opinion he really cares about Shenmue fans, i respect him a lot.
I think it's too late. No matter what Yu Suzuki will do now, they'll be here and say stuff like "look, the thief has come back !" or stuff like that. I know troll very well.

No, I think Yu Suzuki just has to focus on making Shenmue 4 the best way possible.

I think it's too late. No matter what Yu Suzuki will do now, they'll be here and say stuff like "look, the thief has come back !" or stuff like that. I know troll very well.

No, I think Yu Suzuki just has to focus on making Shenmue 4 the best way possible.
I agree with you, all i know is that i will support him. 😊 I just think is sad what happened and that he really don't deserve this hate.

I agree with you, all i know is that i will support him. 😊 I just think is sad what happened and that he really don't deserve this hate.
Yeah, I feel you. Me too it makes me sad to see such hate towards Yu Suzuki, when it's so not deserve.

But I think we have to move past that now. What has been done with Shenmue 3 is done and there's no turning back now. And I don't regret fighting for Shenmue 3 for all those years and I don't regret giving 250$ during Kickstarter.

Now, we have to move onto the next step : Reading Shenmue World the Unofficial fan magazine in January, watching Shenmue the Anime and fighting for Shenmue 4!

Yeah, I feel you. Me too it makes me sad to see such hate towards Yu Suzuki, when it's so not deserve.

But I think we have to move past that now. What has been done with Shenmue 3 is done and there's no turning back now. And I don't regret fighting for Shenmue 3 for all those years and I don't regret giving 250$ during Kickstarter.

Now, we have to move onto the next step : Reading Shenmue World the Unofficial fan magazine in January, watching Shenmue the Anime and fighting for Shenmue 4!
Beautiful words, lets move onto the next step. 🙂

You guys are cool. But gamers are honestly some of the most idiotic, irrational, childish people I have encountered in my life.

'Did you just tweak the number of puddles in the retail version of this game? Prepare to face my wrath!'

View attachment 9826
Oh god! Don't remind me of Puddle Gate! And these people wonder why they are mocked?

But like anything, it's not really "gamers" as it is more so that loud fringe that just wants to be offended or outraged on the Internet by anything and everything.

It does make you wonder how little in life one has to have going on to look for outrage in every little thing?

But remember folks, PC gamers were the "Master Race"...the superior race above all console peasants. Oh what's that? They opened several store fronts? Quick, STORE FRONT WARS!

I bought the Steam version. Gathered "why not?" seeing it was on sale for like $30 AUD. I did my part in further supporting...I just want Shenmue IV. I could give two craps about peoples manufactured "outrage."

Oh god! Don't remind me of Puddle Gate! And these people wonder why they are mocked?

But like anything, it's not really "gamers" as it is more so that loud fringe that just wants to be offended or outraged on the Internet by anything and everything.

It does make you wonder how little in life one has to have going on to look for outrage in every little thing?

But remember folks, PC gamers were the "Master Race"...the superior race above all console peasants. Oh what's that? They opened several store fronts? Quick, STORE FRONT WARS!

I bought the Steam version. Gathered "why not?" seeing it was on sale for like $30 AUD. I did my part in further supporting...I just want Shenmue IV. I could give two craps about peoples manufactured "outrage."
Sincerely, there are so much shit in the world they could fight about and for.

Like we're in the middle of a pandemic where alot of governments take absurd decisions, we have an economical crisis coming, we have an environmental crisis, we have poverty rate and unemployment rates going through the roof.

And you chose to fight against a low budget Kickstarted videogame, because it has flaws and was released on another storefront, and you're fighting so that this whole series dies just to "own the fans". Seriously pathetic.

You don't like the game. Fine. It's sad but it happens. Me too I was disappointed about many video games in my life. What did I do? Say that I didn't like it and why, and always in a respectful manner, and then move on and let the people who enjoyed it, enjoy it.

All we do is enjoying a video game we've waited for so long, pick another fight, let us have fun. We don't hurt anyone.

In response to that review someone else posted here (sorry, I forgot who posted this)

What they did to PC backers by not giving them Steam keys for over a year, already makes this game worth the negative review, but lets talk about the game itself.

No, it doesn't. That's your hyperbole and outrage kicking in. You shouldn't review a game based on decisions made by a publisher no matter how it effects you. You should review the game itself.

The fact that it came out with a 66% discount should give you a tip about the quality of it.

It's a one weekend deal on a game that is a year old. All it says to me is they wanted to get some further sales on launch weekend. Sure, you could read more into it if you want. But all it says to me is it's a year old game that has been on and off sale everywhere else, it would only make sense to release at a cheaper price to entice sales. But anyways.

The game was a colossal bomb commercially, it was destroyed by reviews, and even the most hardcore fans considered it a massive dissapointment.

Destroyed by reviews? It received mostly middle of the road reviews. And as a hardcore fan? I don't consider the game a disappointment. I consider it slightly underwhelming in parts, but mostly successful at what it aimed to be. Which was more Shenmue.

This game looks like an early PS3 game, and it play like a PS1 game...no, not even a Dreamcast game.

I don't remember any early PS3 game looking or running this good. Maybe they should go back and LOOK at early PS3 games. Also, played a PSone game lately? I gather not. This is a hyperbolic statement.

Its controls, pacing, voice acting, graphics, and level design are even more dated than those of the original two games (released 20 years ago), there is absolutely no excuse for a game which got $7M dollars from backers and a big chunk of money from both Sony and Deep Silver to look and play like this.

I'm sorry, but did we play the same game let alone the same franchise? Say what you will about the fighting, but its general controls are greatly modernized next to the Dreamcast games, the Japanese voice acting was fine, the graphics while nothing Naughty Dog level were serviceable for what it needed to be and its open world design was modernized when compared to the walled off sections of the first two games. As for the pacing? SHENMUE WAS ALWAYS A SLOW FUCKING BURN! Why is anyone surprised by Shenmue III being a slow burn?

I remember a year ago I kept playing because of the story...there is no story, literally.
As Super Eyepatch Wolf said, "we waited 18 years for a Shenmue filler episode".

When you can't think of anything constructive to say for yourself, just go quote some click bait hack of a Youtuber who made a half assed video bitching about things that were easily debunked by others.

There is literally no positive aspect I cant find in this game, and the story (or lack of) feels like a spit in the face.

Oh come on! I can find positive in games that I flat out hated! I flat out HATED The Last of Us 2 and yet I can still find SOME positive in it even with my many complaints that outweigh the positive. That's you being hyperbolic again because you're still butt hurt about the Epic thing.

This game is an insult to fans, its own legacy, and Yu Suzuki's reputation, but at this point is pretty clear Yu Suzuki decided to sell any prestige he had left the moment he took the money from fans/Sony/Deep Silver and made what it feels like a budget fan game.

Ummm, maybe that's because it was a BUDGET game you fucking dense moron! (pardon my language but this made me laugh my ass off when reading). Compared to the likes of most first party games, it is a bloody budget game! Say what you will about its flaws but the man gave you a full Shenmue experience on a fraction of the budget it should have taken. Fuck off!

The only reason why I bought this game (I sold my PS4 copy a long time ago) is because of the 66% discount, the fact that is dirty cheap in my country, and because I want this game to serve as a reminder, that no matter how much you liked something 20 freaking years ago, it comes a point in life when you have to let go.

So you re-bought a game that, and I quote, you said had no redeeming values? Wow, what a waste of money on your behalf. Way to stick it to the man! By supporting them further and putting money in their pocket just so you can write a pithy Steam review and feel like a big man for doing so. To make you feel like you're sticking it to the man...never mind the fact you gave the man more of your hard earned money. BRAVO, genius! BRAVO! <slow claps>

I mean, we're such punks! Now watch us give these people more money so we can stick it to them! That'll show 'em!!!!

Shenmue III was a mistake.

Thanks for the money, bitch. You do realize Deep Silver is laughing at you as they take your money and read your pithy bullshit review, right?

Last edited:
Back