Recent Gaming Purchases

Picked up Jade Empire. Got a free copy on PC but it's buggy as hell and the controls are awful with the PC bugs, so I spent a steep $10 in the Xbox store on this game. Crazy high price for an OG Xbox title, but I"ve heard nothing but amazing things about it, so we'll see. Has anyone played Jade Empire, if so what are your thoughts on it??

Picked up Jade Empire. Got a free copy on PC but it's buggy as hell and the controls are awful with the PC bugs, so I spent a steep $10 in the Xbox store on this game. Crazy high price for an OG Xbox title, but I"ve heard nothing but amazing things about it, so we'll see. Has anyone played Jade Empire, if so what are your thoughts on it??
Think that's expensive, I just payed $40AU for Lost Odyssey on the Xbox store! Never played it before but wow, the intro to that game is insane. Can't wait to play more.

I played Jade Empire on PC about ten years ago now. It was one of those games I thought would go down as one of my all-time faves...martial arts, story-based, Chinese mythology etc., and I enjoyed what I played, but I ended up giving up in the second major area (I think...it was like an Imperial city). From memory there was sooo many side quests, but the combat just wasn't good enough for any of it to feel worth it. It's a game I can see myself returning to to blast through on Easy difficulty, but to me it's a game that suffers a lot from extremely uninteresting combat.

Think that's expensive, I just payed $40AU for Lost Odyssey on the Xbox store! Never played it before but wow, the intro to that game is insane. Can't wait to play more.

I played Jade Empire on PC about ten years ago now. It was one of those games I thought would go down as one of my all-time faves...martial arts, story-based, Chinese mythology etc., and I enjoyed what I played, but I ended up giving up in the second major area (I think...it was like an Imperial city). From memory there was sooo many side quests, but the combat just wasn't good enough for any of it to feel worth it. It's a game I can see myself returning to to blast through on Easy difficulty, but to me it's a game that suffers a lot from extremely uninteresting combat.
Thanks for your thoughts! I have already moved on from Jade Empire for those very reasons. I enjoy the Chinese mythology and the vibe of it, and I can even deal with the outdated graphics and the fact that I didn't play it when it was 'cutting edge' and new, but there is something lacking in the plot that feels like it doesn't really engage or move anywhere, and the combat is a bit too janky to work around. Overall, not a bad game but not one that I felt like playing through after a few hours invested in it.

I also just recieved a Retroid Pocket 2 in the mail:

I've been waiting for a handheld emulation device that can play everything from 8-bit to 32/64-bit, that actually feels good to play, nice screen etc. and for a decent price. This seems to be it, finally.

I've only played a few games on it but so far so good. Can play various Dreamcast games as well. I've even seen Shenmue running on it, though not at full speed.

Obviously there's a little bit of set up and config with anything like this but that's fine with me.

Finally got my first paycheck from this job and maybe went just a bit overboard with the excuse that it’s xmas and that there are deals. Knowing I’m gonna have to get some presents for our late celebration in a couple weeks as well as January birthdays, plus some bills and knowing I’m quitting this job soon, I’ll have to start off next year being more careful. Anyway, today’s haul:

Fallout 1 & 2 - 3 was good to start way back when, but since then I’ve very much enjoyed both New Vegas and Outer Worlds(and really did not care to get very far in 4 and only tried again when console mods became a thing), so for around $5 on steam I thought why not try these

Wasteland 3 - Having enjoyed 2 despite not getting very far(yet), this looking a bit more like Xcom also caught my interest

Summer in Mara - almost a bit too cutesy for me, but the look of the sailing really reminded me of Wind Waker. Heard some mixed things on it but willing to take a risk

Immortals: Fenyx Rising - originally told myself it looks a bit bland and I’m still not sure I really like the tone from what I’ve seen, but I’m really just craving a new BotW type game with a character creator.

Hoping to soon also get Fitness Boxing 2, Hyrule Warriors 2, maybe Hades, just haven’t had my Switch set up today. Gotta remember to save some for No More Heroes 3 though.

ordered same old racing games in the last couple of days 24 hours of Le Mans and Metroplis Street Racer for the Dreamcast. Porsche Challenge for the ps1 and Ridge Racer 5 for the ps2.

I also purchased the ps3 Version of Daytona USA in the PSN Store.

ordered same old racing games in the last couple of days 24 hours of Le Mans and Metroplis Street Racer for the Dreamcast. Porsche Challenge for the ps1 and Ridge Racer 5 for the ps2.

I also purchased the ps3 Version of Daytona USA in the PSN Store.
If you're collecting old racing games that are great don't miss out on San Francisco Rush(N64/PS1) and Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA(N64). If you like demolition derby and racing Destruction Derby 64, Test Drive Eve of Destruction(Xbox/PS2) and Wreckfest(Xbox One/PS4)are all solid.

If you're collecting old racing games that are great don't miss out on San Francisco Rush(N64/PS1) and Rush 2 Extreme Racing USA(N64). If you like demolition derby and racing Destruction Derby 64, Test Drive Eve of Destruction(Xbox/PS2) and Wreckfest(Xbox One/PS4)are all solid.
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. The San Francisco Rush Games are already on my to buy list. I will check out the other games you mentioned as well. They sound really interesting.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the recommendations. The San Francisco Rush Games are already on my to buy list. I will check out the other games you mentioned as well. They sound really interesting.
Rush 2049 and LA Rush are worth passing on, but not the first two. I enjoy Cruisin USA for N64 too, but to a lesser degree. Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit on PS1 is really solid. Best NFS game is the 2020 remaster of Hot Pursuit, really nice. If you're on older consoles the 2010 Hot Pursuit on PS3/XB360 has aged really well.

Rush 2049 and LA Rush are worth passing on, but not the first two. I enjoy Cruisin USA for N64 too, but to a lesser degree. Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit on PS1 is really solid. Best NFS game is the 2020 remaster of Hot Pursuit, really nice. If you're on older consoles the 2010 Hot Pursuit on PS3/XB360 has aged really well.
Rush 2049 is the best game in the series, bar none.

Stop.

Rush 2049 looks interesting indeed. I am thinking of getting the Dreamcast version in the near future. On the N64 I am interested in getting San Franciso Rush Extreme Racing, although I have heard that that game is not supposed to be as good as 2049. But for n64 terms it should still be decent I guess.

2 is a fantastic game as well and oodles of fun; Stunt Mode is relegated to one track, but it's hard to say that it is less fun than 2049's stunt mode.

The actual racing is still good, but not on 2049's level... not even close, really (the N64 controller is a bit to blame here too, as it is not conducive to constant, twitchy-motions, found in every arcade racer).

The addition of wings and extras in 2049 makes it a better racing game and a better game on the whole.

Until I truly mastered every nook and cranny of 2049, Rush 2 was my favourite of the 3 games.

The first game is the least-desirable of the 3 and also the worst, but it's not terrible.

Just not up to snuff. And yes, the DC version of 2049 is significantly-better than the N64 version.

Rush 2049 looks interesting indeed. I am thinking of getting the Dreamcast version in the near future. On the N64 I am interested in getting San Franciso Rush Extreme Racing, although I have heard that that game is not supposed to be as good as 2049. But for n64 terms it should still be decent I guess.
San Francisco Rush for N64 is the best overall pound for pound racing. Rush 2 Extreme Racing on N64 has more customization options and is a really nice follow up to the original. 2049 is the worst of the four, especially if you're paying retail price..the cars have wings!! Check some videos on youtube before buying 2049, its an acquired taste. LA Rush isn't worth the time either, very generic unfortunately.

..the cars have wings!!

And? The wings make the gameplay SO MUCH BETTER and vary things up significantly; no longer must you jockey for position against an opponent, while the slightest touch in mid-air (which happens a lot) throws you off-balance, which causes you to tumble and die.

That's just one example as to how it improves the gameplay.

You have to seriously stop bashing games/things about games you don't like and passing them off as fact; it's annoying and frustrating.

I agree that anyone should view a video or reviews first, before purchasing a game, but we all have different tastes; mention that.

And? The wings make the gameplay SO MUCH BETTER and vary things up significantly; no longer must you jockey for position against an opponent, while the slightest touch in mid-air (which happens a lot) throws you off-balance, which causes you to tumble and die.

That's just one example as to how it improves the gameplay.

You have to seriously stop bashing games/things about games you don't like and passing them off as fact; it's annoying and frustrating.

I agree that anyone should view a video or reviews first, before purchasing a game, but we all have different tastes; mention that.
Hmm, quite hypocritical considering without clarifying these statements as your opinion, you said:

"Rush 2049 is the best game in the series, bar none."
"And? The wings make the gameplay SO MUCH BETTER"
"The addition of wings and extras in 2049 makes it a better racing game and a better game on the whole."
"The first game is the least-desirable of the 3 and also the worst, but it's not terrible."

All of those statements I could not disagree with more. These statements when read by the thought/opinion police could look like an opinion being passed off as a fact as much as anything I share. The cars having wings: Fact. The wings suck: my opinion. The wings don't suck: your opinion. I didn't realize I needed to open every statement with "in my opinion", I also don't see you doing that either. I do not 'need to', nor will I stop sharing my feelings about games that I like and don't like. My opinion on games is just as valid as anyone else, and by communicating the things we like/don't like we have an opportunity to learn about a game before spending money on it. There are a lot of people on this forum with what I would consider to be good tastes so when I look to those people for their input I take that into consideration. There are also people whose taste I disagree with strongly in most cases, like yours for example but you won't see me complain to you, put angry faces on many of your posts, demand that you 'Stop' sharing your feelings on games nor will you see me on the Yakuza thread saying how much that franchise sucks because I don't have time or energy to waste on things I don't like. I see Yakuza being compared to Shenmue constantly, which I find repulsive, and if it's mentioned in a neutral forum that isn't tailored to that franchise, it's free to criticism. I will not be spending anymore time replying to your opinion policing or commentary, but I wanted to put some things in perspective.

Back