Well, Sonic is getting a Netflix Original...Will you guys watch it?

Other than Dark, Im really having a hard time thinking of any Netflix original series that I liked. Most of the Netflix original stuff is trash imho.

I'm not much of a Netflix guy anyway, so I'll pass on this one.

Other than Dark, Im really having a hard time thinking of any Netflix original series that I liked. Most of the Netflix original stuff is trash imho.
Yeah, Netflix originals are a real hit or miss for me. There's a couple that I really like, but most of them outside of that are pretty weak imo.

I read that filming for the movie sequel starts in a couple months but not sure how accurate that is. I’m willing to bet that the plan had been to start way sooner but covid threw a wrench in it.

I can't help but feel vindicated by reading all of the comments ITT.

I'll try to be brief, but I've made it clear here a few times, that I loathe streaming and despite it being the more cost-effective and efficient way to consume media going forward, I won't spent a cent on anything digital, unless it is the only way to obtain it (call me a dinosaur). So yeah, Netflix is a POS and they can all go kick rocks.

But I have also maintained for years now, that Netflix wouldn't exist in its current form (or be even close to how big it is), if not for the US; this thread just confirms that the US will consume every bit of trash that is produced, despite it not being good.

(I will say, this sadly extends to Canada too :()

But yeah, absolutely not interested in this and even if I was, I'm using someone else's account, as Netflix isn't seeing a dime from me.

I can't help but feel vindicated by reading all of the comments ITT.

I'll try to be brief, but I've made it clear here a few times, that I loathe streaming and despite it being the more cost-effective and efficient way to consume media going forward, I won't spent a cent on anything digital, unless it is the only way to obtain it (call me a dinosaur). So yeah, Netflix is a POS and they can all go kick rocks.

But I have also maintained for years now, that Netflix wouldn't exist in its current form (or be even close to how big it is), if not for the US; this thread just confirms that the US will consume every bit of trash that is produced, despite it not being good.

(I will say, this sadly extends to Canada too :()

But yeah, absolutely not interested in this and even if I was, I'm using someone else's account, as Netflix isn't seeing a dime from me.
I do agree with a lot of the sentiment but only one thing about Netflix...they've rescued alot of dead projects from the animation industry and allow them to be given a chance. So...in a way I'm only following them for this one reason alone. Lose that and I'll bin Netflix in a heartbeat.

I do agree with a lot of the sentiment but only one thing about Netflix...they've rescued alot of dead projects from the animation industry and allow them to be given a chance. So...in a way I'm only following them for this one reason alone. Lose that and I'll bin Netflix in a heartbeat.
I understand this feeling as well, it can be complicated. I'm still not sure how I'm going to approach the Shenmue anime since it's tied into Crunchyroll, which I also detest. If worst comes to worst, I'll throw some money their way for a membership that I only use to watch the Shenmue anime. If possible though, I'd REALLY like to financially support it through some other venue, like outright buying blu-rays or even digital downloads from someone who isn't CR.

Are you only a fan of the Sonic games? Not any of it's multi-media projects/promotions?
Yeah, I'm just not a big fan of passive media/merch/etc for the most part now days. I make an exception for all things Shenmue related to support a series that I think could really use the help, but that's about it.

After Forces I’m kinda glad they’re taking their time with the next one, but honestly that never necessarily means anything good will come of it either.
That pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well. I really hope they take the extra time to get it right... But for whatever reason with games, it often seems like a longer dev cycle = a worse game and I have no idea why. Do they just lose their focus/vision/drive when a project goes on for too long or something? And then you look at something like Forces which came 6 years after Generations. Sure, there was Lost World in-between, but that was a smaller exclusive side game for nintendo. It took them 6 years to get the next big multiplat Sonic out, and while it's not terrible, I just found it... dull. Then again, I've also read only 1 of those 6 years was spent actually developing the game itself while the other 5 years were spent solely working on the engine. That could all be bullshit of course, no clue what truly went down behind the scenes.

Anyways, not to go off on a tangent here, but I've gotta go off on a tangent here. There's a really interesting interview with Ayano Koshiro about the development of Streets of Rage 2. I know there's about a million and a half reasons why you shouldn't compare modern game development to game development back then... But even still, there's enough in there to make me wonder how much of modern dev cycle bloat isn't simply due to "incorrect" priorities.

streets of rage 2.jpg

Here's a link if anyone is interested in reading the whole thing.

Last edited:
I might but it’s hard to trust Sega...06 had a lot of Adventure stuff in it but the engine was absolutely terrible and the story was on an exceptionally bad level lol.

Adventure games are still my fav. I think the only other one I liked after that was Unleashed and not by much. I enjoyed Heroes and Shadow’s game as a kid but not so much now. I liked Secret Rings too but I’m sure if I tried it now it would not sit well with me. Don’t have much motivation to play Lost World. Boom was terrible. Maybe if the devs of Mania did more, Sonic could keep getting good games, but I personally don’t enjoy many sidescrollers to begin with unfortunately.

They just seem to suck at making Sonic games. Other than that they make a lot of stuff I enjoy a lot on a regular basis.

Anything Yakuza is always stellar, Judgement was great, Valkyria Chronicles 4 was good, Sakura Wars was a great breath of fresh air for a long dormant franchise.

It's just Sonic they can't seem to get right. I think a huge part of the problem is they never really stick with a formula and build upon it with 3D Sonic. They always seem to come up with a new type of game and never really achieve perfection in what they try to do.

I might but it’s hard to trust Sega...06 had a lot of Adventure stuff in it but the engine was terrible and the story was on an exceptionally bad level lol.

Adventure games are still my fav. I think the only other one I liked after that was Unleashed and not by much. I enjoyed Heroes and Shadow’s game as a kid but not so much now. I liked Secret Rings too but I’m sure if I tried it now it would not sit well with me. Don’t have much motivation to play Lost World. Boom was terrible. Maybe if the devs of Mania did more, Sonic could keep getting good games, but I don’t enjoy many sidescrollers, to begin with, unfortunately.
Unpopular opinion, but Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 is now my favorite 3D Sonic video game. After seeing what the fan community has done, I see the enormous potential it had. I loved the music, the combination of the speed lanes of Adventure 2 with the open-ended nature of the first Adventure title, the character/enemy designs, the stages, and the Final Fantasy Esque storyline. Sadly though, it was released too early due to the executive incompetence at SEGA.

If it was given enough time in the oven so to speak, Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 might have been as well-loved as the Adventure series.

Last edited:
Back