Shenmue III - What Happened? ft. Super Eyepatch Wolf

Much as I hate to admit it as i'm a cheapskate, but I wonder if some of the best stuff is gated behind patreon and subscription services? They don't rely as much on ad revenue (or in Jim Sterling's case*, uses Patreon to get rid of ads), but sadly good journalism and good work is rarely done for free.

I guess i'm just too old (i'm only fucking 35...) and I just can't deal with SHOUTY NEGATIVE videos, but I guess it's the only way to rise above the noise. I'd much rather keep quiet and hold on to what little dignity I have left mind. On a side note, i've noticed a few friends getting into streaming 'let's plays' and podcasts and i'm not sure if i'm jealous or not that I can't bring myself to do something. I have a friend who wants to join me on his movie podcast and i'm sure that would be good fun, but i'm kinda shy and it's a slippery slope to the thrill of attention and then trying to hold on to that attention (which a lot of these influencers are essentially doing!)

I reckon i'll watch the "my response" videos, but in a sense that's also attention seeking; that said, I welcome any attempt to correct hatchet jobs!

@Truck_1_0_1_ - I really like Sega Lord X (even if the video editing does come across as "my first editing software"**), but he is really knowledgeable and quite pleasant on the ears. That said, i've also noticed a sort of generic-ness to his work lately. Perhaps he's going through a fallow patch; but he still comes up with the odd cracker. I loved his videos on every Capcom game for the Saturn and Dreamcast!

*who is getting more aggressive than ever (even if they are hitting the right notes from time to time...doesn't mean I want to spend 25 minutes being told that everything is shit all the time)
**says the guy who can't do it at all...

I even gave him a pass for using literally the same captured footage in like 10 videos lol; I can see how if you're highlighting a game for only a few minutes, there's no need to capture hundreds of hours of footage, so it's understandable.

But that Alex Kidd video really touched a nerve; I have been through every inch of that series (save for Miracle World, as I still haven't beaten it) and he just didn't give it a fair shake in the slightest. Especially with the character and series being so close to my heart, I couldn't not comment anymore and just had to give a response. Him responding with, "I do opinion videos; it's not a hard concept to grasp," when passing his stuff of as, "the game doesn't allow you to progress, it's trash!" and then purposely playing the game incorrectly to prove your point as some sort of fact... just rubs me the wrong way and I lost a ton of respect for him.

His Saturn knowledge is insane; he flat-out said that he was on the import scene for the Saturn from day one and it shows. His Genesis stuff is pretty solid as well, but that's basically it; he has time and again stated that he prefers the NES and that he wasn't big into the Dreamcast (which also makes his name dubious, IMO). It's why he's been doing a ton of videos over the past year, that have nothing to do with Sega ("Top 10 3DO Games," "My Favourite NES Games," etc.) and why he's barely coming out with any new idea or novel video concepts: I feel he's exhausted his knowledge and reach for Sega, thus he's branching out to other consoles and now doing single game reviews. I mean, there are SO MANY different Sega-centric videos he can produce; the Strike series, the first title created by the Legendary Sega Devs (Girl's Garden for Naka, Champion Boxing for Suzuki, etc)., doing a series on the most-popular characters in the company, highlighting all of the games of the characters from Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing, etc.,etc.,etc., there is just so much to talk about, but he'd rather do videos on Turbografx games, despite being a Sega channel <_<

Also, any true, blue Sega aficionado, has to have a strong knowledge and experience with Shenmue, IMO, simply because its scope and landmark status just cannot be understated. He has never done a video on the series and almost never talks about it, which makes me think he either never played it or he has no interest.

Anyways, I'm beyond-rambling and I really need to stop spending time on someone that does not bring me any solace or positivity. I'll stop!

Last edited:
These dudes doing great work as always. They see right through his BS

What's sad is that the videos defending Shenmue III (at least these two) don't receive as many views as those who attack Shenmue III. Not saying the host of this video is doing that, but he did bring on Super Eyepatch Wolf, whose opinions have divided Shenmue fans. It's going to make Suzuki's job harder if he intends to appeal to the more casual audience who will more likely see Eyepatch Wolf's videos versus Magnus or Virtua Bros videos.

Last edited:
The game was a let down and Yu needs that team he had with the first 2 games helping him.
He made some poor choices with 3, A game fans waited for since 2001 for and to add to everything the story only took one step forward.

People ask why make this video now?
Because Matts subs asked for it. More importantly the people who donate money to him asked for it.

The video had over 10k views in an hour and currently has over 159k views. And in response to the post about Matt needing Super Eyepatch Wolf because he didn't have a leg to stand on. No it's something he does often. Gets his friends involved in subjects they have strong interest in.

Nothing that was said in the video was a lie.

And really people.. using covid as a reason why this shouldn't have been made? Come on.

What's sad is that the videos defending Shenmue III (at least these two) don't receive as many views as those who attack Shenmue III. Not saying the host of this video is doing that, but he did bring on Super Eyepatch Wolf, whose opinions have divided Shenmue fans. It's going to make Suzuki's job harder if he intends to appeal to the more casual audience who will more likely see Eyepatch Wolf's videos versus Mangus or Virtua Bros videos.
The audience doesn’t actually care about Shenmue. They just want to watch their favorite personality bash something. The defenders are great, but they cater to our niche audience.

The game was a let down and Yu needs that team he had with the first 2 games helping him.
He made some poor choices with 3, A game fans waited for since 2001 for and to add to everything the story only took one step forward.

People ask why make this video now?
Because Matts subs asked for it. More importantly the people who donate money to him asked for it.

The video had over 10k views in an hour and currently has over 159k views. And in response to the post about Matt needing Super Eyepatch Wolf because he didn't have a leg to stand on. No it's something he does often. Gets his friends involved in subjects they have strong interest in.

Nothing that was said in the video was a lie.

And really people.. using covid as a reason why this shouldn't have been made? Come on.
I mean the game being a let down is a personal view and that's no issue. But I'm sure it didn't ruin your life or become over-dramatised like this and the previous video.

Nothing said is anything we don't already know in terms of criticisms. We know the issues and YSNET know the issues and they can be rectified/improved on. Story was too little etc etc. Yet while views are split on the game the actual fans who left reviews have, on the whole been middling to good. Could they be better? Yes but it's not anything near a disaster in fans eyes unlike what this and other videos would push.

Also Yu Suzuki is, unfortunately, unlikely to get a team or funding the size of the first 2 games again. That's just something we will have to accept unless they have a strategy where they make the games at loss but then have a shit load of merch to make the difference.

As for not making a video because of Covid... well that's never even been a thought, we've been making content here over the pandemic the entire time so power to them. If his audience have asked for it then the timing, while very late, isn't much to comment on. They likely keep a roof on his head so you make what they want.

Yu needs that team he had with the first 2 games helping him
In a fantasy land, sure, but if we're being practical that would've been next to impossible, for a couple reasons. Firstly, it was 20 years ago. People move on and change positions, companies, even industries. Secondly, YS Net only had the budget for 40-60 internal staff instead of ~200 that worked on I and II -- some of which were series veterans.

Some people were let down by the game -- I understand that -- but I think the team at YS Net did a great job within the project's unique constraints. I don't blame the team, and I think most teams of equal size would struggle to deliver a better Shenmue experience, considering no one makes Shenmue-like games.

The video is full of personal opinions. Personal opinions are not the ultimate truth. The whole narration is very cringy. I cannot take anybody serious that tells me that a videogame ruined his life.

Everyone can express their opinions but they are just opinions not the truth. I have nothing good to say about 90 per cent of modern gaming out there, I do not like Horizon Zero Dawn, God War, Last of Us and all the other stuff the modern gaming kids adore. For me they are boring, generic games and a total let down. But does that mean they are bad games in general? No I can see why some people like them and why they consider them as bad games. They are just not made for me.

The same logic can be applied to Shenmue.

People should try to get humble again. Seeing their personal opinion as the ultimate truth is bad trade in the internet that should vanish.

No offence, but why do people still take the "ruined my life" comment seriously? It was clearly tongue in cheek exaggerated humour. Same with the hyper focusing on certain janky elements that were clearly overdone in order to entertain, by illustrating the idea that SEW is basically pulling his hair out in frustration.

Anyways, I always dislike these videos (and I did watch it), because they're nearly always aimed at casuals, offering no information that fans aren't already aware of that. Beyond that, they always embelish elements, add in their own conjecture and over simplify elements that are far more complicated than presented, but always present it all as if it's fact.

No offence, but why do people still take the "ruined my life" comment seriously? It was clearly tongue in cheek exaggerated humour. Same with the hyper focusing on certain janky elements that were clearly overdone in order to entertain, by illustrating the idea that SEW is basically pulling his hair out in frustration.

I don't take it seriously, I just find it groan worthy even though it is meant to be hyperbolic. It's an overplayed statement.

If people take his views seriously which in turn leads to something I love not continuing, then - tongue in cheek or not - I will call them out for their shitty behaviour. He could've easily got his point across without hyperbole, but I guess for some folk it's easier to act the fool and lose your dignity to get clicks.

I feel really sad when I see the shenmue community play victim when one of these videos comes out. I watched the video, thought it was fair. All criticism about consumer products is fair. There's nothing to damage control or get angry about. Shenmue's future lies in the hands of Yu Suzuki making quality games, not youtube videos.

I feel really sad when I see the shenmue community play victim when one of these videos comes out. I watched the video, thought it was fair. All criticism about consumer products is fair. There's nothing to damage control or get angry about. Shenmue's future lies in the hands of Yu Suzuki making quality games, not youtube videos.
You're right to an extent, but I also don't really see the point. Everyone generally agrees the game was disappointing, dozens of videos to that effect were made, and now we're two years out from release. What new information did the video provide? I look at the comments and it looks like a frat-house with a bunch of immature manchildren/girlchildren taking turns picking on something that's already been beaten down & dismissed.

Make as many videos as you want, write as much as you want. I think it's fair to criticize critics. They're producing something as well, aren't they? I think making multiple videos about how much a low budget game that didn't sell too great sucks and is the worst offense against humanity, all while strongly suggesting Yu Suzuki's career is over and he lacks the ability and talent continue making games, is kind of pathetic and I'll continue to express that opinion. His target of ridicule's already been dismissed by most of the internet. He's just picking on the weak kid in class. It's not like the 10 or 12 of us here complaining about the video have affected his view count. Why even worry about what we have to say?

Last edited:
I also was let down by how 3 was so much of a downgrade compared to the first 2 but damn. How can anyone expect so much from a game with 6 mill budget from a franchise that cost quadruple that?

I feel really sad when I see the shenmue community play victim when one of these videos comes out. I watched the video, though it was fair. All criticism about consumer products is fair. There's nothing to damage control or get angry about. Shenmue's future lies in the hands of Yu Suzuki making quality games, not youtube videos.
So being critical of a critic is "playing the victim" now? I guess you would feel that way since it matches your bias. Ironically though, I did not have an issue with the majority of the video since Matt was simply stating facts. I think most people simply took issue with Eyepatch Wolf and how his criticism hasn't changed.

While it's completely in Eyepatch Wolf's right to have a negative opinion on Shenmue III, it's also within other people's rights to disagree with that opinion and state their own. It does not mean that Shenmue fans are "playing the victim" just because they have a different view than him.

And this is coming from someone who dislikes Shenmue III.

So being critical of a critic is "playing the victim" now?
Read some of the posts in this topic. I also skimmed through Personal Magnus' video the other day and he's still playing the "this is our game" card. It's everybody's game because the game is available for purchase to literally everyone.

but I also don't really see the point. Everyone generally agrees the game was disappointing, dozens of videos to that effect were made, and now we're two years out from release. What new information did the video provide?
The game is still available for sale. As long as it's available for purchase, it is open to be reviewed, criticized, praised, mocked and laughed at. Lots of people are still streaming it on youtube and twitch. There's no time limit after a release for which a game must be looked at. It also just released on gog and steam a few months ago so it's back in people's minds.
Why even worry about what we have to say?
Because I don't think it's beneficial for a small community to victimize themselves and pretend they are being targeted or that Yu Suzuki is under attack.

Shenmue World is coming and it looks great, the shenmue soundtrack is coming, and we've got the (hopefully) final Shenmue 3 Collector's Edition coming, and still the anime, so who cares if another youtuber didn't like it? It's best to watch these with indifference.

Shenmue still has some life left in it. It's absolutely now up to the teams involved (including the anime team) to make the most of the opportunities they have left. Youtubers aren't meddling in the behind the scenes business of what's happening.

Read some of the posts on this topic. I also skimmed through Personal Magnus' video the other day and he's still playing the "this is our game" card. It's everybody's game because the game is available for purchase to literally everyone.

I am aware that the game is a commercial product that needs to sell to the masses. However, I don't blame fans who have this "our game" mentality given the circumstances surrounding Shenmue.

All one needs to do is to ask these simple questions:

Before 2015, who supported Shenmue? The fans did.

Who were the ones who broke Kickstarter records for Shenmue III?

The fans.

Who were the ones that convinced SEGA to release the Shenmue HD Re-release?

The fans.

Thanks to the fans, publishers became interested in reviving Shenmue from the dead. And the anime is created for the fans. So it's not hard to understand why fans have this mentality. Fans were the ones who have carried Shenmue on their back for over thirteen years before it got the recognition it deserved. And now, fans are trying to make another miracle happen with Shenmue IV.

Last edited:
Super Eye Patchwolf was a fan too. Is he no longer a fan because he didn't like S3 and sees no promising future for Shenmue and so now he should be quiet? Anyone who has bought the game is in some way a "fan". I absolutely relate to those who feel great despair after playing Shenmue 3, but I also share the same hope as those waiting for Shenmue 4.

Suzuki has already gone on record to say he wants the game(s) to appeal to more than just the old Shenmue fans, and I'm sure they have the same aspirations for the Anime.

The problem with e-celebs like him is that they enable this weird online community of gaming hobbyists who depend upon their almighty youtuber's opinion on anything pertaining to computer games. I'm not allowed to like Shenmue 3 because he has a lot of likes and views on his videos, apparently.

And no, I'm not going to watch his next video on Shenmue 3. I don't give a crap about his view whoring for money and mob rule bullshit.

Considering the budget the third game received, I think Shenmue 3 is a good product for the hardcore fanbase.

Last edited:
Back