Random Shenmue IV Thoughts.

The other day I dreamed about being rich and helping funding Shenmue 4, lmao.

I'm making the very short version because, ofc, the dream was weird af, and alot happened into it, but I dreamed I met Yu and helped him make Shenmue 4.

I wish I'll get rich one day so that I can finance Shenmue 4 for real! 😭

So..E3 2021 is roughly 4 months away. Purely out of interest, what would you say the likelihood of a Shenmue IV announcement is? We know pre dev has started and they are pitching to publishers as of early this year. If all goes well on that front, you would think keeping up the momentum would be their priority. I know it's a bit optimistic but I say it's not out of the realm of possibility.

So..E3 2021 is roughly 4 months away. Purely out of interest, what would you say the likelihood of a Shenmue IV announcement is? We know pre dev has started and they are pitching to publishers as of early this year. If all goes well on that front, you would think keeping up the momentum would be their priority. I know it's a bit optimistic but I say it's not out of the realm of possibility.
It's a difficult one this E3. I mean I'd love for it to be announced but I do wonder if it's too soon. I just hope one of the publishers they pitched to, if they've happened yet, has given the game the greenlight.

I'm hopeful but not expecting it to happen this E3 tbh. But anything Shenmue around that time would be welcomed.

I really don't think that Shenmue 4 will be announced at all.

CĂŠdric Biscay said in the Shenmue Dojo interview that they had the materials to pitch the game, but that it was really difficult. He hasn't seen Yu in a year.

Even if a publisher/partner was interested and that they could start production, I don't think they would announce it just a few months after landing an contract.

Also, and that's really sad what I'm about to say...

Let's remember that stuff like E3 or GDC are places that aren't only here to present new games to the public and the press, but also a place where alot happens in backstage. Where developers meet, discuss and present games to potential publishers and try to land publishing contracts/funding. In fact these are the primary usefulness of these big salons. It was started as a place where professionals of the industry could meet before they started making press conferences and public conferences. It's really recent that they are making that much press conferences, that those conferences are now public, and are so so big. At first those salons were really existing as a place for pros to meet and discuss contract for video games development.

And right now it's impossible, with the current pandemic. That's what I would have hope for for this E3 that they could pitch the game to publishers / partners, but sadly it will be quite difficult to do.

I also cannot see a announcement anytime soon even if the game is in development already and that is a big IF. Developers have changed their strategy and tend to announce new games only an short notice. So if game is in development but won't come out until few years in the future we won't hear about it until a few years in the future. A bad strategy if you ask me. This type of secrecy creates internet rumors and nonsense. The internet is then full of lies or half truth and it is hard to find reliably information on the internet.

I will never understand what the industry figures want to gain with that secrecy but never mind. There must a reason. A reason I cannot just see

I'd like them to announce the game with a trailer then basically go dark on pending a few screens here or there. Then build the promotion for the game 6-9 months out when it is ready to show it off, fully polished and ready to go.

Crowdfunding is done with I think. They will be going down the more traditional route of looking for funding now.

Would you care to develop? 😳
I'd guess it would be the refinement of the formula. KoF 13 was still a 2D beautifully animated game, while 14 was the franchise's first step into 3D, and while it was pretty decent, it felt rough around the edges. From the trailers, KoF 15 feels like they're trying their best to create a great King of Fighters game in 3D.

I'd guess it would be the refinement of the formula. KoF 13 was still a 2D beautifully animated game, while 14 was the franchise's first step into 3D, and while it was pretty decent, it felt rough around the edges. From the trailers, KoF 15 feels like they're trying their best to create a great King of Fighters game in 3D.
Thank you! I really don't know much about the KoF series, so I was kinda lost haha

Would you care to develop? 😳
king of fighters 14 came out 6 years ago. The company were using a new engine and trying to learn how to make a fighting game in 3D. The game got ripped apart by the internet, saying things like "This looks like a ps2 game". "This game is outdated". The usual bollocks

However, with the foundation created from king of fighters 14, SNK, the company behind the project used the existing assets and knowledge and started working on King of Fighters 15, which is scheduled to be released in 2021. The game looks phenomenal.

Here's some screenshots for reference

King of fighters 14

maxresdefault.jpg

KOF14-Trailer_05-11-16.jpg

King Of Fighters 15

untitled-1-1610106479248.jpg

The-King-of-Fighters-15-Kyo-Punching-K.jpg

Shenmue 3 reminds me of King of fighters 14. Suzuki and team trying out a new engine and getting familiar with it. Now that they have that experience, knowledge and assets in place, they can go all out on Shenmue 4.

Last edited:
king of fighters 14 came out 6 years ago. The company were using a new engine and trying to learn how to make a fighting game in 3D. The game got ripped apart by the internet, saying things like "This looks like a ps2 game". "This game is outdated". The usual bollocks

However, with the foundation create from king of fighters 14, SNK, the company behind the project used the existing assets and knowledge and started working on King of Fighters 15, which is scheduled to be released in 2021. The game looks phenomenal.

King of fighters 14

maxresdefault.jpg

King Of Fighters 15

Shenmue 3 reminds me of King of fighters 14. Suzuki and team trying out a new engine and getting familiar with it. Now that they have that experience, knowledge and assets in place, they can go all out on Shenmue 4.
The jump between KOF 14 and 15 is night and day. Imagine if the same happened for Shenmue 4. I'm confident it will :)

However, with the foundation create from king of fighters 14, SNK, the company behind the project used the existing assets and knowledge and started working on King of Fighters 15, which is scheduled to be released in 2021. The game looks phenomenal.

King of fighters 14

maxresdefault.jpg

King Of Fighters 15

Thank you ! It's true that the difference is stunning !

I'm really confident about Shenmue 4 tbh !

I think the pandemic has affected the timeline of Shenmue IV more than it seems. Cedric had made it clear it was difficult to present in this climate(with many countries having far stricter lockdowns than the US).

Couple that with the relatively small YsNet team working from home, it probably does a good bit to slow it down. But with vaccines rolling out and highly efficient and safe(with J&J making a 3rd to be approved in a week or two) and warmer temperatures on the way(all coronaviruses struggle in warmer temps), we should see a better second half of the year if things proceed apace.

It'll probably be 2022 before we get news on Shenmue IV. At best, the latter half of 2021(Gamescom, TGS, etc.)

I'm confident it exists and a publisher will pick it up in time. As I've said before, based on all the resurgence of Shenmue memorabilia, an anime, etc. I see no real discernable reason Yu won't find a way to finish the series as he wants to these days.

I would like Shenmue 4 to start from the castle, if possible. I had this image of it beginning at the end of the Lan Di fight, only this time we're given an opportunity to escape from the castle via a QTE sequence. This could be a nice way of reminding us of where the story is at, in a way that thrusts us straight into the action. The QTE for the escape could be a soft tutorial for players, maybe even add a few FREE battles with Niao Sun's henchmen to introduce the player to the combat system. Then, after that, the part on the boat can be fleshed out a little more... It would be nice if we got a little bit more info from Yuan.

I would like Shenmue 4 to start from the castle, if possible. I had this image of it beginning at the end of the Lan Di fight, only this time we're given an opportunity to escape from the castle via a QTE sequence. This could be a nice way of reminding us of where the story is at, in a way that thrusts us straight into the action. The QTE for the escape could be a soft tutorial for players, maybe even add a few FREE battles with Niao Sun's henchmen to introduce the player to the combat system. Then, after that, the part on the boat can be fleshed out a little more... It would be nice if we got a little bit more info from Yuan.
I-- actually think this would be a pretty tremendous idea. I like it a lot, tbh.

Back