[REQUEST] Backer DLC Unlocker

Favourite title
Shenmue
It's a bummer that I can't get my backer DLC on Steam or GoG. Is it theoretically possible to fabricate or unlock the DLC somehow? I hope this isn't against the rules to ask for (feel free to close/lock/delete if so!). I'm not advocating for unlocking/modding in any of the paid additional content (please, please buy the paid DLC, for the sake of Ys Net, Shenmue IV, and basically Shenmue fans everywhere!), just the backer-specific stuff that is no longer obtainable. In my case, my name appears in a few temples, for example, and it would be really cool to have that on a preferred platform. I imagine there are others out there who feel the same with their backer-exclusives.

My programming knowledge is only a tad above nil, but I don't mind banging my head against the wall for a while as a side project if it might be doable in the long run. I'm thinking that the GoG version would perhaps be easiest to work with due to being DRM free.

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere!

Last edited:
Sorry for my noob question, but I didn't follow the campaign, except that I took a look from time to time at the progress videos of Shenmue III:
What is the backer dlc?

I've read some of the bad things that happend with the development and release process of Shenmue III, so all I could say is: If you have paid for something that you didn't get and will never get, get it on another way.
m2c

Alongside it is always a bad thing to give some people exclusive stuff that is ingame specific, a cup, shirts or posters or whatever is ok, but everything else is splitting fans into two groups and that's something no project should do, especially not a fan project like Shenmue...

Last edited:
Sorry for my noob question, but I didn't follow the campaign, except that I took a look from time to time at the progress videos of Shenmue III:
What is the backer dlc?

I've read some of the bad things that happend with the development and release process of Shenmue III, so all I could say is: If you have paid for something that you didn't get and will never get, get it on another way.
m2c

Alongside it is always a bad thing to give some people exclusive stuff that is ingame specific, a cup, shirts or posters or whatever is ok, but everything else is splitting fans into two groups and that's something no project should do, especially not a fan project like Shenmue...
The backer DLC varied a bit depending on your tier. There's a backer-exclusive jacket and a phone card that lets you make calls for free, and in my case, my name appeared in a few temples which unlocked a few technique scrolls.

There were also things like preorder DLC backers did not get (and is also no longer attainable), so it's kind of convoluted. I'd love to figure out some way to unlock the stuff I have with my Epic Games Store copy with my Steam and GoG copies of Shenmue 3.

Ah I see, I've heard of these extras.
Your problem sounds to me, like you were scammed by the devs and/or the publisher of Shenmue III...
When you can't find a way to get these things you paid for, an illegal repack over torrent or one-click-hoster is the only solution what would be your right to do, but still illegal, so it can cause you trouble.

My suggesstion for the future:
Never buy anything that has digital right management (DRM) in it.
I bought my Shenmue III copy at gog.com and can download it as often as I want and copy it as often as I want.
Still waiting for the re-release of part I and II at gog.
The 3 dlcs are there too (I don't like them, I think they are scam) but the exclusive stuff you talked about is not at gog (as you know), so these stuff must be some kind of drm shitty shit.

Backer rewards register to Epic Games or Steam accounts; the input of the backer unlock code in the game's options screen triggers a check of the account used by the running game version to see what rewards it has.

EGS and Steam reward registration is not cross-compatible. Backers who opted into get an additional Steam key also received a reward key for Steam which would allow them to get the rewards in both versions independently. This is not really something a mod could work around.

This account-checking setup is also contrary to how GOG works in the first place (and is likely also why the GOG Deluxe Edition is the only one to not give the Flight Jacket and Burning Sandstorm).

Why not? The content is already in the game.
Ah you mean unlocking the content without making the account checks? If so then that could likely be done but it would also enable the rewards for everyone who didn't qualify for them too.

Ah you mean unlocking the content without making the account checks? If so then that could likely be done but it would also enable the rewards for everyone who didn't qualify for them too.
Yeah I guess that's the main reason I'm reluctant to writing/doing anything for this right now.

How come you can't get your DLC?
Stupidity and GoG (as two separate issues!). For some reason I thought opting in for a Steam key meant in lieu of an EGS key, and I didn't want to wait a year to play. By the time I realized my mistake, it was too late and they couldn't help me.

On the GoG front, I'd just like to have a DRM-free copy that has all my stuff.

I know it's all a bit of a sticky situation with the potential to unlock backer DLC across the board and what not, and I'd hate to see it being using to somehow unlock the paid DLC or something like that, so I'm just sort of poking around for feasibility as maybe a side project of my own or something.

Back