Shenmue 3 Balancing Requests? (Big Mod In Progress!)

gladias9

The Anime Is Better...
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Hey guys. I'm making a mod for Shenmue 3.
The project is advancing VERY NICELY!

So far I can edit things like:
  • enemy stats/ai (hp, atk, aggression) [confirmed]
  • mini-game rewards [confirmed]
  • difficulty settings (enemy levels, exp rates) [confirmed]
  • subtitles [confirmed]
  • battle parameters (move speed, guarding, recovery frames) [confirmed but still experimenting]
  • animation speed
  • item values and such
  • camera angles [confirmed]
Any ideas and requests?
Providing updates to progress in the comments below

Last edited:
Is it possible to reduce the cost of the 50 year old Lao Jiu in Bailu, and the Reverse Body Check scroll in Niaowu? After completing the game twice on PS4 I'd like to avoid these sections on PC. Higher pay from wood chopping and forklifts would be cool, too.

Is it possible to reduce the cost of the 50 year old Lao Jiu in Bailu, and the Reverse Body Check scroll in Niaowu? After completing the game twice on PS4 I'd like to avoid these sections on PC. Higher pay from wood chopping and forklifts would be cool, too.
Most probably.
I actually am modding the mini-games right now to give more money so maybe that helps more?
(Woodcutting = more wood per cut [confirmed]. Rare Capsule Toy probabilities higher [confirmed]. Caught fish = more weight [need testing]. )

Most probably.
I actually am modding the mini-games right now to give more money so maybe that helps more?
(Woodcutting = more wood per cut [confirmed]. Rare Capsule Toy probabilities higher [confirmed]. Caught fish = more weight [need testing]. )
That's great news. A lot of the compounding issues I have are due to the economy artificially padding the flow of the game, and could be mitigated entirely by a slight re-balancing. Good call on the capsule toy probabilities. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Last edited:
That's great news. A lot of the compounding issues I have are due to the economy artificially padding the flow of the game, and could be mitigated entirely by a slight re-balancing. Good call on the capsule toy probabilities. Thanks for taking the time to do this.
I am seriously surprised that nobody else is doing this.
I know next to nothing about Unreal Engine 4 but I am making significant progress.
  1. Battle Camera - Wider and less sticky so you get a lot more side-angle views
  2. Battle ai - More aggressive, close the distance more often, stats buffed
  3. Mini-games - Like I mentioned previously, select games = more reward
  4. Training - Sparring, kung-fu mini-games level up stats/moves faster
The game feels a lot better now. It'll still probably be a week or two before I release a build of the mod.
Really hoping that I can find a way to get subtitles working so I can make story changes.

I am seriously surprised that nobody else is doing this.
I know next to nothing about Unreal Engine 4 but I am making significant progress.
That's encouraging to hear. How exactly are you able to do this? What's the process? I wouldn't know where to start but I'd like to learn more.

That's encouraging to hear. How exactly are you able to do this? What's the process? I wouldn't know where to start but I'd like to learn more.
Extracting Shenmue 3's pak files is quite easy. I used quickbms and the unrealengine4 script for it.
I'm using a tool called Asset Editor (for State of Decay 2) to modify the .uassets inside of the pak files.
If you have further questions, I'm definitely willing to help.

Progress update #2
  • I can now modify subtitles.
Time to get to work patching up the writing of this story for jap voices (within limitations).

Last edited:
Extracting Shenmue 3's pak files is quite easy. I used quickbms and the unrealengine4 script for it.
I'm using a tool called Asset Editor (for State of Decay 2) to modify the .uassets inside of the pak files.
If you have further questions, I'm definitely willing to help.

Progress update #2
  • I can now modify subtitles.
Time to get to work patching up the writing of this story for jap voices (within limitations).
This is interesting, I appreciate the info and the update. I'll be looking into it more. What would you like to change about the story for this mod?

This is interesting, I appreciate the info and the update. I'll be looking into it more. What would you like to change about the story for this mod?
Id just rewrite scenes to include more new details, remove repeating information, remove confusing dialogue.

Like i could rewrite certain characters to have more personality or include more Shenmue lore into the story.

Specifically i want to improve the side characters ryo meets, the villains as well. Theres a scene with iwaos teacher that i want rewritten to be more emotional too.

theres one mod that i always wanted and request but have never had it done which is removing the small noading screens. Please can you do this. i dont mean the main one with the picture etc i mean the small one at the bottom right of the screen that literally appears for a second with my ssd. Any chance?

theres one mod that i always wanted and request but have never had it done which is removing the small noading screens. Please can you do this. i dont mean the main one with the picture etc i mean the small one at the bottom right of the screen that literally appears for a second with my ssd. Any chance?
Once I figure out how to swap images, I could definitely try

tha would be awesome thanks. just a black screen for a second or 2 is all it ever needed
Can you take a screenshot of the image in question? I'm not sure which one your referring to.
Press Print Screen when it shows up.

it comes up for like a second between each scene. completely pointless and should be black. i know its only a small thing but i might as well ask...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.45.33.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 10.45.33.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 13
it comes up for like a second between each scene. completely pointless and should be black. i know its only a small thing but i might as well ask...
Dang, i'm just not finding that text

Gutted.i know its animated so im not sure if its a different file type but no problem anyway. thanks for trying.

Another request ill throw out there is to replace chai's music with the original track. i did this myself when i did a fan movie. Way better.

Back