Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Turn-based RPGs suck. Fuck them and their stupid fucking bullshit-ass “battle” systems.

In all honesty, Yakuza 7 is the only turn-based RPG I ever played. I just wasted more than an hour on the final boss, only to lose to him twice by being one-shotted. It’s a decent game, but FUCK THIS GAME.
Glad to see I'm not the only one not interested in RPGs for this very reason.

😂😂😂 I was only 75% serious with my statement. I respect RPGs, and I like a lot of their gameplay aspects...but turned-based battles are something I will just never see the appeal in. Yakuza 7 was fun enough, but I only tolerate it because it’s part of a series that I love. The change to the battle system turns all of the other gameplay quirks, which are considered a series staple, into annoying flaws that I can barely stand now.

It's funny, because the older I get, the more I appreciate turn based systems. I think the best middle ground is a hybrid system a lá Valkyria Chronicles or Grandia II. I like having time to think my approach rather than bash all the buttons and hope for the best!

The difference between good and bad turn based is in how efficient it is. I admit to less tolerance towards repeated animations and the like. Persona 5 Royal was a life saver, because if you were way stronger than the enemy, you automatically won - saving precious minutes!

Yeah, I agree, Yakuza 7 looks like fun action turn base, Skies of Arcadia gets excepted despite the high frequency battle rates being such a seminal classic Dreamcast game; Grandia 2 and EGG were quick paced enough for me.

Otherwise, nah.

@xatruio I have to agree to certain degree. TTS is great game and remake and most hate on the game is not warranted. It is not perfect though.

The voice acting is a bit worse than in the original. Not a big deal only most hardcore MGS fans like myself would notice but still worth mentioning.

And like many other Remakes the use of Music in the remake is inferior to the Music in the original.

But TTS is still a great game worth playing for sure.

speaking of MGS Music. Kojima is a push over. He did not even try to settle the Problems with the MGS main theme when some Russians appeared at Konami and said that the main them was a Copy of the work of some Soviet Composer. The resemblance cannot be denied but instead to trying to solve the problem they just scrapped the inconic MGS theme for good. He was not even trying to save it.

That is also a reason why I am not sad if Kojima will touch a MGS game again, even if there should be another one.

The man is overrated anyway. His first games were cool but then the got worse and worse.

Kojima really is the Peter Peter Molyneux of the 21 first century.

Last edited:
Turn-based RPGs suck. Fuck them and their stupid fucking bullshit-ass “battle” systems.

In all honesty, Yakuza 7 is the only turn-based RPG I ever played. I just wasted more than an hour on the final boss, only to lose to him twice by being one-shotted. It’s a decent game, but FUCK THIS GAME.
Please forgive my ignorant and stupid opinion, but I don't see how this is an unpopular opinion nowadays. Outside of some exceptions, it seems most role-playing games are more action-oriented than turn-based. Even mainstream staples such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have adopted a more action-based approach.

If anything, I would be more surprised if you held the opposite opinion.

It's funny, because the older I get, the more I appreciate turn based systems. I think the best middle ground is a hybrid system a lá Valkyria Chronicles or Grandia II. I like having time to think my approach rather than bash all the buttons and hope for the best!

The difference between good and bad turn based is in how efficient it is. I admit to less tolerance towards repeated animations and the like. Persona 5 Royal was a life saver, because if you were way stronger than the enemy, you automatically won - saving precious minutes!
I'm in a similar boat. Persona 5 was one of my favourite games ever but have little interest in Strikers because of the combat.

Please forgive my ignorant and stupid opinion, but I don't see how this is an unpopular opinion nowadays. Outside of some exceptions, it seems most role-playing games are more action-oriented than turn-based. Even mainstream staples such as Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest have adopted a more action-based approach.

If anything, I would be more surprised if you held the opposite opinion.
My gut feeling has been that there's a pretty even divide between people that love turn-based and people that hate it. So this is hardly empirical or definitive, but I tend to think neither opinion is unpopular exactly. If anything, I think turn-based is more unpopular among busybody devs than it is among potential consumers. IMO there is plenty of demand for traditional turn-based JRPGs, but developers themselves seem a little reluctant to provide them.

I think I'm with @高野和泉 in that's it's pretty hit or miss for me. My favorite games and genres tend to be real time arcadey action, but I also love turn based SRPGs like Sakura Wars or Shining Force as well as a handful of traditional turn based JRPGs like Skies or Phantasy Star II. I guess I'd say that, generally speaking, I prefer games without experience points and progression systems, but if it's going to have all that, then I'd rather it be turn-based. Then of course you have stuff like Shenmue and Yakuza (aside from 7) that ignore my preference and I end up loving them anyways.

PS: does Grandia 2 count as ABT? Because I fucking LOVED that combat system.

My gut feeling has been that there's a pretty even divide between people that love turn-based and people that hate it. So this is hardly empirical or definitive, but I tend to think neither opinion is unpopular exactly. If anything, I think turn-based is more unpopular among busybody devs than it is among potential consumers. IMO there is plenty of demand for traditional turn-based JRPGs, but developers themselves seem a little reluctant to provide them.

I think I'm with @高野和泉 in that's it's pretty hit or miss for me. My favorite games and genres tend to be real-time arcadey action, but I also love turn-based SRPGs like Sakura Wars or Shining Force as well as a handful of traditional turn-based JRPGs like Skies or Phantasy Star II. I guess I'd say that generally speaking, I prefer games without experience points and progression systems, but if it's going to have all that, then I'd rather it be turn-based. Then of course you have stuff like Shenmue and Yakuza (aside from 7) that ignore my preference and I end up loving them anyway.

PS: does Grandia 2 count as ABT? Because I fucking LOVED that combat system.
Thank you for your astute and nuanced view and hopefully, I can respond in kind. I am fine with either turn-based or action-based combat systems in role-playing games. Though, I tend to lean more in favor of turn-based for three reasons.

I). It's the main system I grew up playing in both role-playing video games (such as the original Final Fantasy on the Nintendo Entertainment System), and tabletop games such as the Second Edition of Dungeons and Dragons and Magic The Gathering.

II). As I have already posted, I don't like being rushed into deciding because I tend to make mistakes quite easily that way. I need time to think things through.

III). While my reflexes were never that great, to begin with, they have become much worse as I have grown older. So it's comforting to play a system that adjusts to my personal needs.

This is not to say that action mechanics in video games are bad, and I do enjoy action role-playing games (as I do with stylish action titles). However, I tend to be a little more biased in favor of turn-based systems. Thank you for your great commentary though.

Last edited:
I prefer old 3d graphics of the ps1 days over new 3d graphics
Why are there so many people with this specific shot of Saturn Shenmue as their avatar? Seriously, it creeps me out sometimes to be reading a thread and see someone's post with that image on the left side. There's even an user which has an identical username to mine with that same damn avatar for crying out loud. 🤣

Thank you for your astute and nuanced view and hopefully, I can respond in kind. I am fine with either turn-based or action-based combat systems in role-playing games. Though, I tend to lean more in favor of turn-based for three reasons.

I). It's the main system I grew up playing in both role-playing video games (such as the original Final Fantasy on the Nintendo Entertainment System), and tabletop games such as the Second Edition of Dungeons and Dragons and Magic The Gathering.

II). As I have already posted, I don't like being rushed into deciding because I tend to make mistakes quite easily that way. I need time to think things through.

III). While my reflexes were never that great, to begin with, they have become much worse as I have grown older. So it's comforting to play a system that adjusts to my personal needs.

This is not to say that action mechanics in video games are bad, and I do enjoy action role-playing games (as I do with stylish action titles). However, I tend to be a little more biased in favor of turn-based systems. Thank you for your great commentary though.
This is really interesting. I think if there’s one thing I’ve learned about myself over the years, it’s that I can be either really timid about something, to the point where I’m actually nervous to move forward, or I can be really stubborn and willing to make mistakes just to get something over with.

With Yakuza 7 for example, I did my damnedest to rush through it and barely bothered with learning the mechanics because the whole idea of turned-based combat really puts me off. Almost as if I refused to enjoy it because it wasn’t the Yakuza I knew. That was my first play-through. Then my wife got super into the game and started showing me mechanics that I never knew were there. I just beat the game for the second time yesterday, and I had a much better time. However, I’ll admit that turned-based combat is still something I refuse to enjoy and will continue to not enjoy regardless of how ignorant it makes me sound 😂

I really do appreciate the perspective and strategy of turn-based combat though, and it’s place in gaming. But I guess I like to let that “Fuck it! Let me just fucking punch something!” part of me take control more often.

This is interesting. I think if there’s one thing I’ve learned about myself over the years, it’s that I can be either timid about something, to the point where I’m nervous to move forward, or I can be stubborn and willing to make mistakes just to get something over with.

With Yakuza 7 for example, I did my damnedest to rush through it and barely bothered with learning the mechanics because the whole idea of turned-based combat puts me off. Almost as if I refused to enjoy it because it wasn’t the Yakuza I knew. That was my first play-through. Then my wife got super into the game and started showing me mechanics that I never knew were there. I just beat the game for the second time yesterday, and I had a much better time. However, I’ll admit that turned-based combat is still something I refuse to enjoy and will continue to not enjoy regardless of how ignorant it makes me sound 😂

I do appreciate the perspective and strategy of turn-based combat though, and its place in gaming. But I guess I like to let that “Fuck it! Let me just fucking punch something!” part of me take control more often.
On the contrary, I appreciate your honesty. As I have said before, I have more respect for someone honest than someone who feigns interest just to fit in even if I disagree with that person. Also, I learned something new about you. My goal here is not to change anyone's mind but to promote understanding and show that we don't have to be polarized just because we have different perspectives.

I am also humbled that you took the time to understand my position. As quite honestly, I don't think my opinion is worth anyone's time. So thank you for your post as it's the reason I created this thread.

Back