Music change for Shenmue 3 (in progress) (Alpha 0.8 released)

I liked the reused music choices. Nice memories in random little shops while exploring for chobu chan.

I found this track a long time ago when Shenmue 3 was first announced and couldnt wait to hear it in game, unfortunately it was not in the game and the youtube video with this song has since been deleted. Thankfully i downloaded it before it was taken down.

Maybe you can find a place for it in Bailu village?
Oh yes, put this as the bailu village theme

Epic track

Oh yes, put this as the bailu village theme

Epic track
Wow, I'm so happy I got the conversation going here! I absolutely adore Shenmue's music and one of the reasons I got into composing myself.

I do also think that it would make for a great Bailu village theme rather than the Shenmue 3 Lucky Hit Theme, because that song is actually just a remix of a Shenmue 2 area track called "Langhuishan" so I already associate that music with that area.

Hope that helps!

I do also think that it would make for a great Bailu village theme rather than the Shenmue 3 Lucky Hit Theme, because that song is actually just a remix of a Shenmue 2 area track called "Langhuishan" so I already associate that music with that area.
That's true. But that was precisely the point. Reusing music from Shenmue 2 Guilin chapter for Shenmue 3 Bailu village makes perfect sense IMO. It should have been reused more, indeed.

I liked the reused music choices. Nice memories in random little shops while exploring for chobu chan.
Yeah. I didn't mind hearing old tracks in random shops in Niaowu. It was nice to know we could hear the original high quality arrangement. The problem with reuse was in other more important areas or scenes of the game.

Hi dear Shenmue fans!

I've been lurking around here for a long time. First of all I want to thank the whole community for everything, for getting Shenmue III in the first place and for improving it with mods. Seriously, how the game changes with mods like the old camera style or the amazing Eric Kelso is amazing.

Well, one of the few things I disliked about Shenmue III was its reused music from II. I don't mind some repeated themes, specially when it comes to characters like Shenhua, but ever since the demo the fact that the Bailu Village Square theme was none other than the f... first theme that you listen in Shenmue 2 broke me so much. It breaks my inmersion because although I love every theme from 1 and 2, I relate every piece of in-game music to them, specially the most common ones. And Shenmue 3 uses too common S2 music, there or in Niaowu, it's like going to Hong Kong again.

Well, to solve that I made a little mod, thanks again to the community for their posts here that helped me find the way to do it. So far I've only changed said theme with Guilin in-game 4, which sets a nice and calm mood and it's not a theme that you listen often in 2. I plan onto changing more themes once I reach them, specially the Niaowu port and so on, but I want to reach there first (I'm playing it again).

I'm open to any suggestions of what themes you'd think that fit in some places that you don't like too much of S3. Whenever I update, wether I change something else in Bailu (maybe when spar with the master but I don't know yet) or when I reach Niaowu (I'm still early with stonemasons) I'll share it here. Hope you like it!

08/05/2021 UPDATE (CURRENT)

Alpha 0.8 ready. This will be the last one until beta, which will have almost all the changes I want to make in Niaowu and credits.

This contains:

- Bailu Square change to Idle Seasons track (looped)
- Lucky Hit track changed to Shenmue 2's Lucky Hit track.
- Main Baillu theme changed to Shenmue 3's Lucky Hit theme
- Chai theme changed to his original from Shenmue

Videos to see them in work:

Just extract it and paste the folder Shenmue3 into your main Shenmue 3 folder, say yes when asking to overwrite.

EXTRA VERSION: ONLY CHAI THEME CHANGED

As the name suggests, it's a version that keeps all the original music and only changes the new Chai theme to the old one from Shenmue. To install, go to Shenmue 3 folder, Shenmue3, Content, Sound, BGM, Hakkason and paste the file there, select yes to overwrite.

01/05/2021 UPDATE (OLD)

Alpha 0.2 ready to download. It's an early release for two tracks that I won't temper with anymore, they'll stay here as they are.

And the files. Go to Shenmue3 - Content - Sound and I suggest to to already backup the entire BGM folder (or you rather not and recover it if you want by checking integrity files on Steam or Epic), in any case just paste the whole BGM folder that I link here inside the "Sound" directory and say yes when asks to overwrite.

Things to come (or at least try it) in the future:

- Chai's original theme from Shenmue 1 (very possible) (DONE)
- Niaowu new in-game music (for certain at least the port, and try to loop it too)
- Relocate the Shenmue 3's Lucky Hit theme somewhere else (DONE)
- Loop most of the in-game tracks (or do my best, until yesterday I never edited any kind of audio before)
- Change the credits music to the old piano main theme track.

Any suggestions are very welcome!
Are you able to change the investigation music in Shenhua's house; it sounds creepy while searching the drawers and picking up the fruits in the kitchen.
The Hazuki basement music at least sounds more fiting and much less creepy.

Hi dear Shenmue fans!

I've been lurking around here for a long time. First of all I want to thank the whole community for everything, for getting Shenmue III in the first place and for improving it with mods. Seriously, how the game changes with mods like the old camera style or the amazing Eric Kelso is amazing.

Well, one of the few things I disliked about Shenmue III was its reused music from II. I don't mind some repeated themes, specially when it comes to characters like Shenhua, but ever since the demo the fact that the Bailu Village Square theme was none other than the f... first theme that you listen in Shenmue 2 broke me so much. It breaks my inmersion because although I love every theme from 1 and 2, I relate every piece of in-game music to them, specially the most common ones. And Shenmue 3 uses too common S2 music, there or in Niaowu, it's like going to Hong Kong again.

Well, to solve that I made a little mod, thanks again to the community for their posts here that helped me find the way to do it. So far I've only changed said theme with Guilin in-game 4, which sets a nice and calm mood and it's not a theme that you listen often in 2. I plan onto changing more themes once I reach them, specially the Niaowu port and so on, but I want to reach there first (I'm playing it again).

I'm open to any suggestions of what themes you'd think that fit in some places that you don't like too much of S3. Whenever I update, wether I change something else in Bailu (maybe when spar with the master but I don't know yet) or when I reach Niaowu (I'm still early with stonemasons) I'll share it here. Hope you like it!

08/05/2021 UPDATE (CURRENT)

Alpha 0.8 ready. This will be the last one until beta, which will have almost all the changes I want to make in Niaowu and credits.

This contains:

- Main Baillu theme changed to Shenmue 3's Lucky Hit theme
- Chai theme changed to his original from Shenmue

Just extract it and paste the folder Shenmue3 into your main Shenmue 3 folder, say yes when asking to overwrite.

EXTRA VERSION: ONLY CHAI THEME CHANGED

As the name suggests, it's a version that keeps all the original music and only changes the new Chai theme to the old one from Shenmue. To install, go to Shenmue 3 folder, Shenmue3, Content, Sound, BGM, Hakkason and paste the file there, select yes to overwrite.

01/05/2021 UPDATE (OLD)

Alpha 0.2 ready to download. It's an early release for two tracks that I won't temper with anymore, they'll stay here as they are.

And the files. Go to Shenmue3 - Content - Sound and I suggest to to already backup the entire BGM folder (or you rather not and recover it if you want by checking integrity files on Steam or Epic), in any case just paste the whole BGM folder that I link here inside the "Sound" directory and say yes when asks to overwrite.

Things to come (or at least try it) in the future:

- Chai's original theme from Shenmue 1 (very possible) (DONE)
- Niaowu new in-game music (for certain at least the port, and try to loop it too)
- Relocate the Shenmue 3's Lucky Hit theme somewhere else (DONE)
- Loop most of the in-game tracks (or do my best, until yesterday I never edited any kind of audio before)
- Change the credits music to the old piano main theme track.

Any suggestions are very welcome!
Had similar thoughts on how oddly music themes were utilized in this game - I wish you to successfuly complete this mod and set things right!

Personal wish/idea.
This piece has everything: mystery, heroism, hope, promise of return and continuation - all symbolize Shenmue 3 perfectly as the game, story, and fan's achievement to bring S3 to life. I hope this theme can also be used in certain meaningful plot moment (like the ending with "the story goes on...").

Last edited:
Back