General Virtua Fighter Talk

Took Brad to Guardian but man it's tough trying to stay there never mind move up ! Have switched back to Akira and moved him up to Sentinel so nearly got the two of them in parity.

Is that our @Sonoshee at 89?

YAxgvx9.jpg

So how high do the ranks go in VF5 anyways?

I know in Tekken 7 it's something like 35 Dan that is the highest (well technically it jumps from 35 Dan to 100 Dan once you pass 35 Dan and reach the Tekken God Prime)

but does anyone know how high VF goes in ranks?

Last edited:
I ran into @breakYODAy randomly the other day in a ranked match (I doubt anyone else uses that name, but if so sorry for the confusion! I'm pretty sure I'm the only mjqjazzbar). Pretty sure he/she annihilated me. Forgot about that. I've been destroying folks with Pai-Chan. I think she's my spirit Virtua Fighter. I just feel like a natural with her... She looks excellent in her VF P2 outfit--pink and blocky. Jean & Taka spammers continue to give me issues, however. Yes, I do agree net code needs a looksy from Sega. I hope rollback is something they can eventually implement, if interest doesn't drop off.

I'm buying a mic and I'll get back into matches with you, @code l name. Internet gaming is still fairly foreign for me. I might even invest in a joystick...

I get scared when I see people above level 27. I usually run the other way when I enter a room. I'm comfortable fighting anyone that's like let's say Hunter at best.

Out of curiosity what times are you guys playing? Pacific Standard Time here but keen to see how I measure up.
This last session was just thrown together within 10 mins. It was around 11pm uk time, which i think is 4 pm PST time

We'll arrange some times going forward, but feel free to post a message in the playstation chat and whoever's around can join in.

I recommend everyone download the playstation app on their phone. Makes a big difference for both text chat and voice chat.

I'll be on over the weekend for a solid couple of sessions.

This last session was just thrown together within 10 mins. It was around 11pm uk time, which i think is 4 pm PST time

We'll arrange some times going forward, but feel free to post a message in the playstation chat and whoever's around can join in.

I recommend everyone download the playstation app on their phone. Makes a big difference for both text chat and voice chat.

I'll be on over the weekend for a solid couple of sessions.
I woke up to a bunch of messages on my phone through the PS App and gathered you guys were playing :D

I get scared when I see people above level 27. I usually run the other way when I enter a room. I'm comfortable fighting anyone that's like let's say Hunter at best.
I feel ya. Anyone above level 24 just demolishes me. I can deal with lower ranks and some around my level (22) but then those higher ranks hit and boy oh boy, they just go in nice and hard and don't let you have an inch. The best comparison I could make is they're playing 4D chess while I'm playing simple checkers :)

Movement still does my head in this game. I'm so used to Tekken and being able to dash in and out to try and lure the opponent into making a mistake. Here, you really can't rely on that as you'll get hit more often than not. So then I feel like I'm stationary on the block and just getting pressured like crazy by good players.

Also lows do my head in. I had the same problem with Tekken in noticing and defending lows and I feel like its the same pain here -- especially against the likes of fucking Lion (have I mentioned I really don't like Lion and his lows?)

I don't know. For me I'm still having trouble figuring out when and where to punish. There are so many strings in this game that seemingly end in fake outs. Or worse, the string will end and they will follow up with a low punch giving them back their turn. Dealing with pressure in this game is doing my head in as it feels non stop. I really struggle to know when its safe to go.

So yeah movement and effective punishing are my two biggest hurdles right now. That and once the Korean and Japanese players come in I feel I have no chance.

Oh my god genius idea. Trying to post messages using a Saturn pad with an adapter with crazy button mappings was very difficult!

We had a solid session tonight with myself, @Kyo_JP and @Down by Law.

Slightly laggy, but we got through it. @Kyo_JP has a good solid Jackie and @Down by Law 's Brad goes mad man mode after round 2, where he hunts you down.

A lot of fun. Everyone should join next time.
It was super fun, although I am far from both of you. I need to go through Jacky's tutorial and return to him online to improve, but it was great to see what Akira can do and a non spamming Brad!

Also before the room last night, I was on ranked and someone was spamming always the same 2-3 high punch high kicks from Vanessa. It was super satisfactory when realized when drop the guard and counter attack and win with Excellents :D

The amount of times I foolishly threw out a low sweep on wake up only to eat a flying kick to the face from Akira was hilarious.

@ShenSun if that kick lands, a second one will also hit on the way down and you can juggle into >>KK as well for even more damage. Next time we should run a couple of vs Akira sets and see what we can learn from each other

@Kyo_JP when your Jacky did that huge boot to the face that sent Akira for a swim I think we all got a good chuckle out of that

Last edited:
The amount of times I foolishly threw out a low sweep on wake up only to eat a flying kick to the face from Akira was hilarious.

@ShenSun if that kick lands, a second one will also hit on the way down and you can juggle into >>KK as well for even more damage. Next time we should run a couple of vs Akira sets and see what we can learn from each other

@Kyo_JP when your Jacky did that huge boot to the face that sent Akira for a swim I think we all got a good chuckle out of that
Thanks man, ill give that a try next time im on.

I am tempted to level up pai again

How the hell do i stop people from mashing the attack buttons on me? I try to do middle punches and side step but I still get overwhelmed.
G all the time and study when you can unleash you fastest attack. Also when starting matches sometimes I move back and observe what the oppoennt is doing.

Had a nice quick five with @code l name last night. I thought the connection was pretty good from UK to Canada.

Here's a terrffic edited video by Desk highlighting all the different character styles

There's no question the animations are stunning when the game is played to its full capacity. For a game that is near 15 years old, the animations still hold up so damn well. Makes me wonder what they could do with modern day technology....

hint, hint SEGA! Give me that VF6 on modern tech.

Back