Shenmue The Animation Announced

It's 0's fault; I've been saying it since the common fanboys have started the stupid memes and all that other shit.

The presentation was awesome, I'm completely on board with what Revan posted above; that timing is perfect.

It's funny you mention Rockstar Games because I was going to mention GTA 5 in my last post in regards to something more on the shallow worldly side that I enjoy. GTA 5 has a decent story showing many of the issues of avarice, greed and ego driven life with over the top open world action and it doesn't feel broken or sloppy like many of the action flick type games, which is one of the big disconnects I have from Yakuza altogether. I never could really get into Red Dead Redemption mainly because where I currently live I deal with a lot of people who are cowboy types(I even acted as one at a job for a while, it was brutal), but my personal dislike for cowboy philosophy aside I do feel that outside of the zombie RDR game all 3 Red Dead games are solid and I can see why people enjoy them, and I did get into RD Revolver a bit more back in 2005 maybe because I hadn't dealt with these personality types in real life yet. I don't see any issue with enjoying both the deeper spiritually enriching titles as well as the corn syrup shallower action titles, but it's absurd when they end up getting compared to one another on a level of quality or purposeful impact. To say that Shenmue is a 'crap version' of Yakuza would be something a person with depth could laugh at the ignorance of such a statement, if only they don't have to hear that statement every time these two titles get put in the same conversation. What's amazing with this comparison from a technical standpoint too is that Yakuza doesn't even do a good job with it's gameplay mechanics. As much as I love Shenmue and its my number one franchise of any game I could respect someone giving it a more mediocre score for controls, fighting mechanics, some of the sterile voice acting and other technical issues, even though I love it no less and it is actually something I enjoy I'm not ignorant to these technical facts, but Yakuza is even more broken in those regards. GTA 5 on the other hand doesn't have too many flaws, if any when it comes to gameplay mechanics and feeling smooth so if someone on the more worldly side of things or with less scope or mental capacity said "GTA 5 is better than Shenmue and has better open world elements than Shenmue" I could see their argument from a technical standpoint only. Even GTA 3 which borrowed heavily in its time from Shenmue 1 could have had that same argument on the technical side of things, but from a purposeful depth and important story telling standpoint Shenmue is unique and in it's own lane entirely. If you enjoy Yakuza's brawler style with the Asian backdrop I recommend Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition which is often on sale for $5 USD. It's a much more fluid and better version of an open world brawler with an Asian city environment than Yakuza. It has a Donnie Yen 'Flashpoint' movie type of vibe to it.
Some fair points there. Funny enough, i tried sleeping dogs but couldn't get into it. Played it for about 5 hours but it reminded me too much of GTA. I might give it another go at some point, but I definitely prefer Yakuza over it
Completely on board with you on this one.
In my case I liked playing gta games specially Vice City wich was my favourite.
But Red Dead Redemption is in a completly different level; so much so that it is part of my top ten games.
I've got Red Dead Redemption 2 but I haven't played it yet; but i'm almost certain I will love it.
I've bought Yakuza 0 on a Steam sale and played it so far into the first Boss fight; but after that I haven't played ever since. I kind of liked it and see why a lot of people enjoy it; but when I was wandering in the city with all those lifeless npc's walking around; they felt super artificial when compared with Shenmue; they are just there to give the ilusion of a crowded city and nothing else; they are completely lifeless.
That just made me lose interest for the game.
I will certainly give it another shot but I'm certain it will never hit me like Shenmue did.
It is the same with the Rockstar games; gta is an interactive playground and Red Dead Redemption is a life experience; and that is what I feel in regards to Shenmue and Yakuza.
Red dead redemption 2 is a phenomenal game. One of the best games i've played in a long time. Give it a try. You'll be blown away.

I really enjoyed Yakuza 0. Thought it was a great game and probably the best in the Yakuza series. (I still haven't played the recent one). It took me a while to come to terms with the lifeless npcs which is a big issue coming from a shenmue background. You'll get use to it eventually, but yeah, it's definitely something that stands out. Fortunately, the side stories with some of the npcs are great
I hope they continue the animation into Season 2 to adapt the events of Shenmue 3 & 4. Hopefully, Shenmue 4 would have been announced by the time Season 1 launches (maybe even released around the same time to help boost exposure, but that's probably a bit too optimistic).

I would like to see the entirety of the Shenmue story be told in this new take, and get to see all the deleted content reworked back into the story like how they're doing with 1 & 2. I hope they don't just plan on covering the events of the first two games and leaving things there regardless of its reception.
I agree. A second season covering Shenmue 3 and 4 would be awesome and maybe an anime movie to cover Shenmue 5.
I really hope the anime takes off. It has tremendous potential to boost the series.

Some fair points there. Funny enough, i tried sleeping dogs but couldn't get into it. Played it for about 5 hours but it reminded me too much of GTA. I might give it another go at some point, but I definitely prefer Yakuza over it

Red dead redemption 2 is a phenomenal game. One of the best games i've played in a long time. Give it a try. You'll be blown away.

I really enjoyed Yakuza 0. Thought it was a great game and probably the best in the Yakuza series. (I still haven't played the recent one). It took me a while to come to terms with the lifeless npcs which is a big issue coming from a shenmue background. You'll get use to it eventually, but yeah, it's definitely something that stands out. Fortunately, the side stories with some of the npcs are great

I agree. A second season covering Shenmue 3 and 4 would be awesome and maybe an anime movie to cover Shenmue 5.
I really hope the anime takes off. It has tremendous potential to boost the series.
Sleeping Dogs isn't a must play game by any means but it was the best GTA-like clone alternative I've tried that comes to mind and I can't think of any other martial arts brawler type games from the last gen or the gen before it that play out like a 'C rate' or 'B- rate' movie other than Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza. I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend $5 on Sleeping Dogs, but surprisingly I enjoyed it and played it to completion. I'd probably check out a sequel if they wouldn't have cancelled it. The story is the usual undercover cop dynamic but it has enough action that I think it's worth it if you can get it for under $10.

I played Yakuza for the first time on PS2, i played the first game at the time. I remember that i was enjoying the game, i played just the beginning but i don't know why i stopped playing, this was way before i played Shenmue from beginning to the end for the first time, i have plans to play all the Yakuza games.

I don't agree when people compare a lot Yakuza with Shenmue because they are really different games, some people even say that Yakuza is Shenmue improved, some people say that Shenmue should be like Yakuza, i don't agree with this things.

I agree with ShenSun, i just want to add that Yakuza fans and Shenmue fans can live in peace with each other, it is so simple to respect people, one day i will play the Yakuza games, i think i will enjoy but even if i don't enjoy i will respect the Yakuza fans, even the creator of Yakuza Toshihiro Nagoshi said that Yu Suzuki is a master, that he respect Yu Suzuki a lot and learned a lot from him, i think he was even part of the team creating Shenmue at the time and this is pretty cool.

g4434.jpg

ShenmueYakuza.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe Nagoshi has no interest in doing an anime? Hell, maybe that just hasn't come up yet for Ryu Ga Gotoku? Hell, why does it even matter if Ryu Ga Gotoku gets an anime or not? They had 6 games to fill out the saga of Kiryu. His saga actually got a beginning, middle and end in game form. Why do they NEED an Anime? I mean as a Ryu Ga Gotoku fan, I'd be down for an anime version if they ever wanted to produce one. But there are a number of reasons why it hasn't happened yet.

Hell, on that note, Ryu Ga Gotoku actually did get a live action TV version and a live action film version. The live action TV version was actually pretty successful in Japan and played into the PSP games, but hey...why mention that? I still want to check out that live action TV version out but I could never find a subbed version online.

But poor Ryu Ga Gotoku...it's just SO overlooked....even with its revival, new found success among the normies and what not...it's just SO overlooked though...new Yakuza fans annoy me. They jumped on board with 0 yet they weren't there in the true dark times where the series continuing in the west was always questionable. </Rant>

Honestly, why is it whenever something positive happens to Shenmue, you always have that group of people just willing to shit on it or compare it to RGG? I just get tired of it.

Any time you get even the slightest hint of positive news towards Shenmue, here comes the "let's shit on Shenmue" brigade and make it all about either how "shit" Shenmue is or the constant comparing to Ryu Ga Gotoku.

It gets so damn tiring.

I definitely have been on the Yakuza train since the first release in 2005. At first I was vehemently angry at Sega for releasing this instead of Shenmue 3, but later I got over it and have been in love with RGG since. I definitely remember how gloomy things got when Yakuza stopped getting Western releases at 5 and it took a herculean effort to get that over here. Even at that, we only got that as a digital release.

I remember that the situation was so dire that Shenmue and Yakuza fans were even looking at collaborating on working together to put the pressure on Sega to release Shenmue 3 and Yakuza 5 overseas. I'm glad those days are over.

This is going to come off as arrogant but so be it

If you like Shenmue, there is a very high chance you like deep meaningful experiences, with thought-provoking stories, characters, and philosophies. You question things around you in the real world, along with everything that makes up the human experience. You take pleasure in simple things such as learning about people, developing relationships, or experiencing new environments and cultures.

If you prefer Yakuza, there's a good chance you like and crave instant gratification, along with cheap dopamine hits every 5 minutes. You're more concerned about playing a fantasy role as a gangster and fulfilling that dopamine reward system by engaging in random battles, superficial explicit content, and arcade experiences at every corner. You have a desire to play around in a semi open world arcade playground, where you can do what you want and be stimulated on a regular basis. Some of the stories and characters are really good and the sub missions are brilliant, however, you only put up with this because of the extreme, over the top explosive nature of these events.

Shenmue is a much deeper game that requires a specific kind of person. I'd even say a deeper kind of person.

Yakuza is more mainstream and will always do better, because in 2021, the vast majority of people need to be stimulated every 5 seconds, be it on their smart phones, social media or a video game. If you're not giving it to them or you delay that gratification, they will freak out, throw a temper tantrum and look else where.

Shenmue is about friendship, love, self-discovery, and overcoming internal struggles that all of us will have to go through at some point in life. It may not be revenge like Ryo, but it certainly will be some form of inner demon that we must work hard to overcome.

Yakuza is a Hollywood blockbuster crime flick. which has some sprinkles of those shenmue themes, but is mainly focused on gangs, drugs, drama, violence etc.

It's not that deep for me. I want nudes from Sayama the same way I want nudes from Xiuying.

Hopefully the developers do the right thing and let us deepen these relationships further in future games. Whether it's at a seedy love hotel, or in Man MO temple, I'm not a picky man at all

Not exactly Shenmue related, but it seems the studio working on the anime are hiring background artists. Some interesting info on the studios operations and their process for fellow anime nerds to check out if you're interested. Also, if you're an artist and speak Japanese, why not apply? You could end up working on Shenmue!

Mod note: Post removed. Drive-by posting with poor quality.

Let it be known we welcome constructive conversations and criticism of any element of Shenmue, however posts of this nature will not be tolerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Duly noted. 🧐
Holy shit what a guy :ROFLMAO: Must suck to live in such a way that seeing people enjoying something upsets you so much. I hope he finds something that can make him less angry one day.

Anyway, I'm so excited about this anime. I think it's going to blow all expectations out of the water and be something really special.

DeOvePu.jpg

inspirational

Back