Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, it does seem like the battle system has been altered a little sometimes in S1, there's a bit more of a challenge I think in some battles, and I've noticed when you've got them by the arm, if you let the enemy move towards you then kick, they'll get a boot to the face, but if you kick, they back off, and you don't connect. On DC I think it's a bit less complicated AI, but I could be totally wrong :D
Okay, so I tried some more and I'm still unable to do it. A few times, I've had enemies walking towards me but the kick still missed. When they're running towards me, they stop too far away.

I'm not sure how you were able to pull it off so easily. Since you're saying that you've done it, I suppose that means it is possible. But the game still plays differently than it did on the Dreamcast, which to me constitutes a bug. It should be replicating the original game as closely as possible.

If you're able to hook up your DC and play your original copy of the game, I would urge you to do so. Try doing the kick during the same fight in each version, back to back. I guarantee you'll notice a huge difference in the way it plays. When I try on Dreamcast, I'm kicking dudes left and right but I can't seem to land a single one on PS4.

Title: Practicing of moves in the parking lot is way too hard to trigger/Often does not work
Platform: PS4
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 5 out of 5 tries
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Medium

Most of the times it takes several tries of running in and out of the parking lot until Ryo starts practicing. In the original games one also had to take care a bit on how to enter it, but then it always worked.
If I had not known it, there is no way I would have even found out about the practicing there.

I can, because for one, the sound sounded that way on the original. They only have the original stuff SEGA gave them, we can't expect that a <50 person company would re-record all of the music to fix a single issue with sound.

But think about what you're saying, which is negative. The entire release is out, and there aren't any game-breaking bugs, which means you can play the vast majority of the game exactly as it was on the Dreamcast and Xbox. So about 98% of the game is fine, but you're fixated on 2% of the game, and saying it's so bad that SEGA should be ashamed, or that it's worth getting so upset about. It isn't.

I reiterate that, given the time and resources, d3t did a great job, and SEGA did the right thing to release the game with a few bugs in it (like EVERY game has), and d3t have been responsive, courteous and prompt in releasing patches and communicating with fans. They even created a dedicated team for writing patches for Shenmue.

So what I'm saying is, you're not even a glass half full kind of person, you're a person who gets a 98% full glass and complains 2% of it is missing. Learn to be thankful for what you do have :)
I find your reply incredibly patronizing. The music in Shenmue 2 has an annoying reverb that was not in the original. It completely ruins the atmosphere and I find it incredible you did not notice it.

I’m speaking negatively because there’s lots to be negative about. There are game breaking bugs! The sound constantly cut out for me in Shenmue 1 so I had to stop playing as I don’t want to play Shenmue and constantly have to restart every few minutes. Other people are reporting important cut scenes missing and qtes not working properly. These are game breaking. They ruin the immersion of the game and make you want to quit. It is more than 2 per cent: it is riddled with bugs and you would notice if you weren’t so busy sprouting Sega PR that’s its perfect when it is evidently not.

I will not accept Shenmue being released with music that is inferior to the original and full of bugs that ruin the immersion Yu Suzuki works so hard to achieve. How can you say Sega were right to release it so broken?! I understand defending dt3 since they were probably put under pressure by Sega to rush it but to defend Sega is madness. They screwed Shenmue fans like you and me by releasing a buggy wretched version of the games we love and you say they were right to do it! Stop speaking in PR mode and accept Sega screwed up big time.

I will not be thankful for the games I love being treated so poorly by Sega. The sad thing is you say all games have bugs but Shenmue 1 and 2 were nearly bug free. Yu worked so hard to make it perfect and we get this rushed mess that does a disservice to all his meticulous work.

I actually try not to be negative on the internet but when I see 2 of my favorite games of all time being treated so poorly and then see people defend dodgy business practices such as releasing broken games then I must speak negatively. If it helps fix this broken mess you will thank me later when you are playing and come across a game breaking bug that no PR damage control could defend.

The sound constantly cut out for me in Shenmue 1 so I had to stop playing as I don’t want to play Shenmue and constantly have to restart every few minutes.

That isn't a game breaking bug, and what you've referred to isn't game breaking. A kitten cutscene isn't a big deal. The chai one is medium on the list of story it gives, but all you miss is him trying to steal it, but that's also explained in the cutscene.

I appreciate your position but I think honestly, you're getting angry over nothing and blowing this out of proportion dramatically. I'll bow out so we don't start a big discussion about this in the wrong place, but I appreciate your love for Shenmue, just not the misplaced ire that I think is at odds with the reality of the situation.

That isn't a game breaking bug, and what you've referred to isn't game breaking. A kitten cutscene isn't a big deal. The chai one is medium on the list of story it gives, but all you miss is him trying to steal it, but that's also explained in the cutscene.

I appreciate your position but I think honestly, you're getting angry over nothing and blowing this out of proportion dramatically. I'll bow out so we don't start a big discussion about this in the wrong place, but I appreciate your love for Shenmue, just not the misplaced ire that I think is at odds with the reality of the situation.
We waited so long for these ports that I just cannot get over the fact that Sega rushed the release and left us with a buggy game that needs a lot of patches.

Maybe I’m too old school but I remember a time when games were released bug free. They had to be perfect as patches did not exist. I’m sad the internet caused game developers to no longer want to release a perfect game and think it’s ok to release a game incomplete and patch it down the line.

Maybe I was a little heavy handed in my reply but it’s because I love Shenmue and wanted the ports to be perfect. If we don’t complain the developers won’t fix anything. Hopefully soon everything will be fixed and all this trouble will be a distant memory.

Title: When nightfall (7pm) happens during a cutscene (and maybe also during a dialog?), the camera is fixed on that scene
Platform: PS4 (Shenmue 1)
Category: Camera
Priority: Low/Medium

It happened to me twice: Once I was using the key to the katana box in the dojo and once I was feeding or petting the cat in Yamanose during exactly 7pm, so that the nightfall scene would have to show only after I was done.
When it then happened, nightfall music was rolling as usual but in both cases instead of showing the lights of the area turn on, the camera was still fixed on the object I was interacting before.

Title: Often can't talk to people in the streets twice in a row
Reproduction rate: 4 out of 5 tries
Category: Gameplay/Dialog

Often after having a conversation with a person walking through Dobuita, it is not possible to just speak to him/her again immediately after the first conversation.

Title: Music selection menu very unstable and fragile to fast selection movements
Category: Gameplay/Dialog

In the music selection menu (for example from your casette player or at Tom's ghetto blaster), if you press the direction buttons quickly, the menu gets easily stuck, which means sometimes that the selection can't be moved anymore or that a selected casette can't be chosen. Closing and opening the menu again is required then.

Maybe I’m too old school but I remember a time when games were released bug free. They had to be perfect as patches did not exist. I’m sad the internet caused game developers to no longer want to release a perfect game and think it’s ok to release a game incomplete and patch it down the line.

I don't remember a time like that. I remember Jet Set Willy being released and literally impossible to complete, and had to be fixed by fans.

I don't remember a time like that. I remember Jet Set Willy being released and literally impossible to complete, and had to be fixed by fans.

Yeah, honestly, people who say there was a time without bugs and patches have rose-tinted glasses on. What happened, was there was a time before patches and, whilst admittedly more games were released bug free (but let's not forget that games and console architecture used to be far less complex than they are now), there were also many instances where games were released with major bugs and patches simply did not exist. In some extreme cases, games had to be recalled and people would wait months for new revisions and batches that had the issues fixed.

Some notable examples I can think of, because they affected me, are WWF No Mercy on the N64 and Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast.

The former had a save bug when released which meant your complete save file would wiped randomly and you would lose ALL progress. It could happen after a few hours, it could happen after a few days or it could happen after a good week or two, but either way, your cartridge would eventually 'factory reset' itself and you would lose everything. This affected around 90% of the cartridges released, if I remember correctly. People had to wait several months for a fix to be released and even then, if you were buying the game second hand, it was pure luck if you got a good copy or not. In fact, it was probably the case even with new copies if stores still had old ones knocking around.

Metropolis Street Racer was released first in Europe with several almost game breaking glitches. One major bug meant it was possible to progress through the main campaign, going from level to level, without actually needing the required points to do so. Another meant that two player 'quick races' did not work at all. I can't remember half the other bugs, but I think one was that it was actually impossible to 100% finish the game and unlock everything. I'm sure that happened to me, as I got the game at launch. There were 3 revisions of MSR out there and obviously v3 is the most complete and bug free version.

Sonic Adventure when released first in Japan had several bugs. I think most were minor though. These were fixed in the eventual Western release.

There were some game breaking bugs in some 16 bit titles too, but can't think off the top of my head what they were though.

The original Broken Sword had a game breaking glitch which meant it was possible to do something in the wrong order, which would then render the game broken and impossible to complete without starting again.

Agreed. I already gave my opinion on this. Shenmue 1 and 2 had bugs, every game ever released has had bugs on day one. Sometimes ones with quite huge impacts. Taking it into consideration, this release has actually had a pretty normal amount of bugs, and works fine :)

Title: Broken cutscene after finding Phoenix Mirror video here
Reproduction rate: N/A
Category: Cutscenes
Priority: High
Observed Result: Cutscene is not playing correctly after Ryo finds Phoenix Mirror.
Expected Result: Cutscene plays correctly.
Reproduction Steps: Obtain Phoenix Mirror and watch.

Title: Broken cutscene when Fuku-san is offering his savings (piggy bank) video here
Reproduction rate: N/A
Category: Cutscenes
Observed Result: Cutscene is not playing correctly after Ryo enters Fuku-san's room when he needs money for boat ticket.
Expected Result: Cutscene plays correctly.
Reproduction Steps: Go to Fuku-san's room when you obtain boat trip pamphlet from Asia Travel Company.

Title: Game switches to first person view video here
Reproduction rate: 2/2
Category: Gameplay
Observed Result: Game switches to first person view after Harbor lunch break cutscene (harbor Forklift work).
Expected Result: Camera will remain in third person view after lunch break cutscene.
Reproduction Steps: During Forklift work switch to first person camera before lunch break cutscene starts.

Title: After Harbor morning forklift race Ryo receives Forlift No.5 and No.2 toy twice video here
Reproduction rate: 2/2
Category: Items
Priority: Minor
Observed Result: When Ryo finishes fifth or second in morning harbor forklift race he will receive forklift toy item twice.
Expected Result: Roy will get only one forklift toy.
Reproduction Steps: Finish forklift race second or fifth.

Last edited:
There are many issues with sound and music to do with emulation of the Dreamcast sound chip. Too much reverb or even what seems like wrong sounds playing. An obvious one is when you're airing out the books in Shenmue 2 (Xbox1). That sounds completely different.

Maybe I was a little heavy handed in my reply but it’s because I love Shenmue and wanted the ports to be perfect.

Speaking as an outside observer, you may have been a little heavy handed, but you were totally correct that he was being more than a little patronizing, and I'm coming from the perspective of being one of the ones asking folks to be patient and give Sega/d3t the benefit of the doubt......but not as someone unintentionally being a dick by talking down to people, minimizing their feelings/input, and accusing them of imagining things....................though there are some cases where naturally we don't remember an 18 year old game perfectly, and someone is kind enough to gently correct us.

I also find it presumptuous to create a separate bug tracker, without consulting anybody, when the mods here have been diligently tracking bugs and reporting them. It makes me worry how I sound when I preach to the community, but at least I'm not flying in, ass first, like Powered Toast Man...."Leave everything to me!!!", so hopefully I'm safe. LOL

Edit: We all want what's best for Shenmue, but we need to listen to each others' input without prematurely rushing to judgement, and be sure we're right before we tell someone else they are unequivocally wrong. It's frustrating enough to find a bug, without someone else telling you, incorrectly, that it was that way all along.

Last edited:
For the PC. Is it me or do or did anyone else have an issue with CPU usage being at 40%-50%. At first my framerate was locked at 20-25fps, but I did something to fix the frametate, but it is all strange how it happened. I'm using the beta patch though that didn't fix it for me. I already updated the drivers and everything and did a clean install. I think setting it to fullscreen instead of borderless fixed it, but still same level of CPU usage, but then again many newer PC games have this usage, but I don't know if it is that high since I never checked it. Not sure if it is non-issue now.

For the PC. Is it me or do or did anyone else have an issue with CPU usage being at 40%-50%. At first my framerate was locked at 20-25fps, but I did something to fix the frametate, but it is all strange how it happened. I'm using the beta patch though that didn't fix it for me. I already updated the drivers and everything and did a clean install. I think setting it to fullscreen instead of borderless fixed it, but still same level of CPU usage, but then again many newer PC games have this usage, but I don't know if it is that high since I never checked it. Not sure if it is non-issue now.

The CPU usage is a known problem. It was actually a lot worse for some people before this patch - I saw reports on the Steam forums of usage up to 95%, which went down to about 50% after the patch.

Apparently it's a problem with the way the framerate-lock works that causes the high CPU usage. Some users have been able to make an improvement by intentionally lowering their processor state.

Yeah, honestly, people who say there was a time without bugs and patches have rose-tinted glasses on. What happened, was there was a time before patches and, whilst admittedly more games were released bug free (but let's not forget that games and console architecture used to be far less complex than they are now), there were also many instances where games were released with major bugs and patches simply did not exist. In some extreme cases, games had to be recalled and people would wait months for new revisions and batches that had the issues fixed.

Some notable examples I can think of, because they affected me, are WWF No Mercy on the N64 and Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast.

The former had a save bug when released which meant your complete save file would wiped randomly and you would lose ALL progress. It could happen after a few hours, it could happen after a few days or it could happen after a good week or two, but either way, your cartridge would eventually 'factory reset' itself and you would lose everything. This affected around 90% of the cartridges released, if I remember correctly. People had to wait several months for a fix to be released and even then, if you were buying the game second hand, it was pure luck if you got a good copy or not. In fact, it was probably the case even with new copies if stores still had old ones knocking around.

Metropolis Street Racer was released first in Europe with several almost game breaking glitches. One major bug meant it was possible to progress through the main campaign, going from level to level, without actually needing the required points to do so. Another meant that two player 'quick races' did not work at all. I can't remember half the other bugs, but I think one was that it was actually impossible to 100% finish the game and unlock everything. I'm sure that happened to me, as I got the game at launch. There were 3 revisions of MSR out there and obviously v3 is the most complete and bug free version.

Sonic Adventure when released first in Japan had several bugs. I think most were minor though. These were fixed in the eventual Western release.

There were some game breaking bugs in some 16 bit titles too, but can't think off the top of my head what they were though.

The original Broken Sword had a game breaking glitch which meant it was possible to do something in the wrong order, which would then render the game broken and impossible to complete without starting again.
Ok maybe I am romanticizing the past too much; I remember Driver 3 being released very buggy. That doesn't mean we just meekly accept broken games like these ports. We should always expect games to be at least mostly bug free and be upset if they are riddled with bugs that ruin the experience. These ports were rushed by Sega and full of bugs and errors that would be unacceptable in any era of gaming. We expected the ports to be the definite versions and instead we got them full of bugs and distorted music. We have a right to be upset. I won't post any more about this subject as I feel I'm going in circles.

This was a glitch in the Game Boy Advance port; it was not on the PC or PS1 version. I remember it only too well; I was days trying to figure out why I was stuck till I found out about the glitch.

Last edited:
The CPU usage is a known problem. It was actually a lot worse for some people before this patch - I saw reports on the Steam forums of usage up to 95%, which went down to about 50% after the patch.

Apparently it's a problem with the way the framerate-lock works that causes the high CPU usage. Some users have been able to make an improvement by intentionally lowering their processor state.

Well it is good to know that it isn't me after all. I did the CPU trick but it had zero effect for me. Tried vaules of 25% to 50%. Besides the high CPU usage, this game runs much more smoother than it did on the Dreamcast so far and my CPU temps don't get any higher than with any other game at least. Setting it to Fullscreen is a must though since borderless will make everything choppy. I thought it was me at first, but was that all along.

Also some had suggested turning Aero back on if you are on Windows 7, but that made it worse. It jumped up to 50-60% when I tried that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back