Random Shenmue III Thoughts

I believe that is it. I'd have to find the topic, but I think only one guide book makes mention of the character, back when Kiyuu was the resident translator!
I think maybe in one of those Shenmue Master interviews with @David De ville he maybe mentions or alludes that there is someone at top of the Chi You Men organization.

Also Ziming strikes me as too young to be leading the organization.

Yes, in one of the Shenmue Master interviews, Tentei is mentioned as well, I forgot about that.
With the revelation Lan Di was adopted by Chi You Men as child after his fathers murder, I always assumed it was Tentei who was the one feeding him bad intel and stoking the flames of vengeance. This ultimately led to death of Iwao.

How the game will deal with Lan Di learning and dealing with this betrayal may be one of the more interesting elements I look forward to seeing explored.

Lately i've been thinking a lot about what Shenmue III could have been if Yu Suzuki and the team had more budget and maybe even more time to develop the game, i remember that Shenmue III was delayed 2 or 3 times, i will explain why i’m thinking about this.

1. In a Kickstarter video Yu Suzuki said... "Baisha will show off what Shenmue III is all about. Live out a siege game reminiscent of the Warring Kingdoms. See which strategist come out on top."

I don’t know why Baisha was cut out of the game, i can only think two options about this, the first is that maybe Yu Suzuki just decided that he will put Baisha in Shenmue IV, it is a possiblity but maybe we will never see Baisha in game format, maybe he will decide to put a location that is more important, only time will tell.

The second option is that maybe Yu Suzuki had a lot of problems in the development of Shenmue III so he had to cut Baisha out of the game, which leads to my second point.

2. In one interview someone asked Yu Suzuki this question... "In a scale of one to ten how much do you love Shenmue III? Yu Suzuki responded... " hmm... probably 7.5" after that he said in english "5, 4, 5, 4, 6" then the interviewer said.. "You're going down."

With this is clear to me that Shenmue III didn't turn out exactly the way Yu Suzuki really wanted, in my opinion Yu Suzuki seems like a perfectionist person when it comes to making games, about his art, i feel that he always gives his best and always want to do the best, if something don't turn out the way he imagined then he will not like it a lot.

I'm like this aswell with my art so i really understand.

To me Yu Suzuki really wanted to put Baisha in the game but for some reason he had to cut Baisha out of the game, i think this decision was not something that he really wanted to do, i don't think it was a decision that he liked to make, only Yu Suzuki can answer this questions but this is how i feel about it.

Let's imagine for a moment that Shenmue III is a Dreamcast game, it even feels that Shenmue III is missing disc 4, i imagine like this.

Disc 1: Bailu Village
Disc 2: Bailu Village
Disc 3: Niaowu
Disc 4: Baisha and the Cliff Temple.

Something like this, i don't know, i'm just imagining, I don't have problems with Shenmue III ending, i like the ending but i know it could have been much better, the ending is rushed, i really feel that Yu Suzuki wanted to do in a different way but i think he had a lot of problems in the development of the game, i really feel he wanted to do more with the game, again only Yu Suzuki can answer this questions.

Shenmue III to me is a peaceful and calm game, this is the vibe of the game to me, especially in Bailu Village like a second home for Ryo with one of the focuses being strengthening the bonds with Shenhua, with Ryo living a peaceful life with Shenhua in Bailu Village and i love this.

Shenmue III to me is like the calm before the storm, is a peaceful time in Ryo's Journey. I love Shenmue III but i think that with Baisha and the Cliff Temple and with more development and story for characters like Shiling Lin and Qiu Hsu the game would have been much better, maybe even a masterpiece to me.

I know imagining won't add things to the game but sometimes i like imagining the game with Baisha and the Cliff Temple, how Baisha would fit in the game, i hope someday we can at least read about Baisha and other places and characters like Ming Ming that Yu Suzuki didn't put in the games.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Ryo says he could live in a place like Bailu Village, but living with Shenhua seems a little too easy and simple. "A morning star will glisten alone" she'll return one day when he looks towards the big dipper, reborn like the phoenix, that's how I think the saga will end.

I'm wondering if Ziming - while already confirmed to not be one of the Four Leaders - might actually be Tentei.

View attachment 12436

I like how he walks into the centre of the Chi You Men emblem, possibly representing that he's the central leader of the group.

Also, "You don't need to know" is not really something a mere subordinate would say to their superior.

He's not.

Ziming isn't even a leader or anything; Yu told us this, but from the comic and Yu's words, it can be inferred that he's Niao Sun's dragon or something of that nature.

He's not.

Ziming isn't even a leader or anything; Yu told us this, but from the comic and Yu's words, it can be inferred that he's Niao Sun's dragon or something of that nature.
I think he may get a raise during the course of the story. He fits the description of white tiger. The CYM war with Sun and Lan Di could shuffle the organisation's leadership around, if Sun tries to assisinate another leader.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the RPG Site review for Shenmue III supposed to be removed once it was confirmed the reviewer barely played the game? And why is PSX Extreme on here twice (and a review from May 2020 to boot)? The Metacritic is down to 67 now.

1627834394539.png

I guess it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's a bit weird don't you think?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't the RPG Site review for Shenmue III supposed to be removed once it was confirmed the reviewer barely played the game? And why is PSX Extreme on here twice (and a review from May 2020 to boot)? The Metacritic is down to 67 now.

View attachment 12452

I guess it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's a bit weird don't you think?
I would love to a live in a world without video game "journalism".

I keep meaning to resume Shenmue II and III (i'm part way through playthroughs of both before newer games came into view), but on a quiet day I like to read older articles and came across this interesting article. It reminds me that just because social media says one thing, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

I keep meaning to resume Shenmue II and III (i'm part way through playthroughs of both before newer games came into view), but on a quiet day I like to read older articles and came across this interesting article. It reminds me that just because social media says one thing, it doesn't necessarily make it true.

I'm glad its not just me who feels this way about the current era of gaming. Everything feels far too 'safe' now, and we mostly seem to get samey open-world games or FPS's (although Nintendo still seem to fly the flag for original 'fun' ideas). There's definitely a lot less passion in the industry now, and the arrival of each new generation seems to get less and less exciting. Part of this may just be me getting old or having nostalgia goggles, but everything felt so much more exciting in the 90's and early 2000's

I agree. In some respects, gaming is better than it's ever been, but in others, I hate it and my passion dips (I nearly gave up gaming during the PS3/Xbox 360 brown/grey grimdark era). I hate online gaming, microtransactions, season passes, cosmetic DLC, fanboy-ism* and just the feeling that gaming isn't as enjoyable anymore.

That said, some of the best games i've ever played have been in the last few years and there will always be brilliant games to play (paradoxically i'm playing games more than ever), but I feel like the pure aspect of gaming has peaked long ago. Now everything is risk averse and tribalistic. It's perverted my other passions of film and music too. Everything has to be competitive and combatative; it's becoming more difficult to find thoughtful, positive articles. That's why I posted that article earlier as proof it's still around (and Eurogamer still does the odd great article when they're not obsessed with Fortnite, Steam and click-bait articles).

*which has been around since the 80's and 90's, but sure as hell wasn't as violent as it is today.

I agree. In some respects, gaming is better than it's ever been, but in others, I hate it and my passion dips (I nearly gave up gaming during the PS3/Xbox 360 brown/grey grimdark era). I hate online gaming, microtransactions, season passes, cosmetic DLC, fanboy-ism* and just the feeling that gaming isn't as enjoyable anymore.

That said, some of the best games i've ever played have been in the last few years and there will always be brilliant games to play (paradoxically i'm playing games more than ever), but I feel like the pure aspect of gaming has peaked long ago. Now everything is risk averse and tribalistic. It's perverted my other passions of film and music too. Everything has to be competitive and combatative; it's becoming more difficult to find thoughtful, positive articles. That's why I posted that article earlier as proof it's still around (and Eurogamer still does the odd great article when they're not obsessed with Fortnite, Steam and click-bait articles).

*which has been around since the 80's and 90's, but sure as hell wasn't as violent as it is today.
Yes, I'd forgotten to rant about the microtransactions/season pass bullshit! Even Mortal Kombat of all series has been victim to this, MK11 just feels so corporate and homogenous, like the soul has literally been sucked out of it.

AAA gaming is as bad as it's ever been. Western games in general are as bad as they've ever been.

Japan still makes amazing games, however. I actually think the last few years have been a new golden age of Japanese video games. That combined with how easy it is to play older games via rereleases and emulation makes this maybe the best time to play video games ever. If you're a massive weeb like me, anyway!

AAA gaming is as bad as it's ever been. Western games in general are as bad as they've ever been.

Japan still makes amazing games, however. I actually think the last few years have been a new golden age of Japanese video games. That combined with how easy it is to play older games via rereleases and emulation makes this maybe the best time to play video games ever. If you're a massive weeb like me, anyway!
This is true - for example, I cannot afford to get Neo: The World Ends With You at the moment (I loved the first one all those years ago on DS, and recently played through the Switch remake) but will definitely pick it up when I can, I think this is an example of Japanese developers still embracing passion and creativity.

One thing I loved about Shenmue 3 was the colours

Credit to Luna

E79oF7jXsAUizao

E79nfSUXoAQSJI7

E79nfqVX0AM1x8l

Back