Status
Not open for further replies.
Title: Opening notebook causes low FPS until settings are changed
Platform: Steam
Title Version: 1.02
Reproduction Rate: 10 out of 10 tries
Category: Performance
Priority: Medium/High
Observed Result: After opening the notebook, the game slows down.
Expected Result: Normal FPS regardless of notebook opening.

To give further information: I'm on an older PC and with FXAA disabled, Bloom disabled, and resolution scale set to 40%, the game runs pretty much 30 fps at all times. However, I kept getting lag and I finally figured it out. Whenever I open the notebook, my FPS drops a lot, as if I turned on some of the settings. When I go to look, all the settings are still set how I set them. The weird thing is if I move one of the settings a tiny bit (like putting resolution scale at 41%) and then apply it, the FPS will be stable again. I noticed a bug on the PS4 and Xbox versions where bloom turns on when you open the notebook. So I'm curious, is it possible that bloom is turning on when I open the notebook on PC without showing it? When I turn the bloom to high, it lags the same amount as when I open the notebook and I feel like this might be happening.

Right now my "fix" is to either avoid opening my notebook or to open the settings and change the resolution scale by 1% because for some reason that fixes it.

EDIT: I made a video showing the problem. You can't see the FRAPS numbers but in the beginning it was staying around 25 FPS. When I open the notebook, it stays around 20 FPS. Finally, when I changed the settings, it went back to being around 25 FPS.

Last edited:
This was a glitch in the Game Boy Advance port; it was not on the PC or PS1 version. I remember it only too well; I was days trying to figure out why I was stuck till I found out about the glitch.

Sorry to derail the thread, but are you sure? I played the game on PC back in the day and I'm sure I got that bug and I had to start over from scratch. I was under the impression that the bug remained in all versions of the game until it was eventually it was semi-remade for the Wii and whatever else it came out for.

Sorry to derail the thread, but are you sure? I played the game on PC back in the day and I'm sure I got that bug and I had to start over from scratch. I was under the impression that the bug remained in all versions of the game until it was eventually it was semi-remade for the Wii and whatever else it came out for.
Your right it was there too. I played it on PC and never encountered it: only in the GBA version. But looking around online there are reports of it happening on PC as well so I apologize for the misinformation.

Do you know if any of the listed PC issues has been Fixed for sure with patches 1 and 2?

I can, because for one, the sound sounded that way on the original. They only have the original stuff SEGA gave them, we can't expect that a <50 person company would re-record all of the music to fix a single issue with sound.

What? Have you played Shenmue II yet? The music did not sound like that in the original. The user is correct that the music is completely off in that game, a point that's been raised by several members here. It's reverb-heavy, and frequently out of tune completely. See the dozens of YouTube videos on the subject.

I had the Problem in Shenmue II that Ryo says two times "Two more leaves" when he must catch the falling leafs. I thought first this is a neverending bug, but luckily i could continue playing. I must Search Xiuying now.

Title: Opening notebook causes low FPS until settings are changed
Reproduction Rate: 10 out of 10 tries
Category: Performance
Priority: Medium/High
Observed Result: After opening the notebook, the game slows down.
Expected Result: Normal FPS regardless of notebook opening.

It could be related to bloom bug which is present on consoles. Did you try to go to options and turn off the bloom (just click on bloom "off") and see if fps goes back to normal? That's what I have to do on PS4 always when I view the notebook or the game opens it by itself (when Ryo wakes up in the morning).

I had pretty good luck with bugs on my Shenmue I play through (only experienced the screwy cutscene camera twice, otherwise the game was fine) — but my god is that “end of game save” issue annoying.

I was excited to transfer my save to Shenmue II for the first time, but no way am I going to sit through that move training and beat Chai again before playing Shenmue II (assuming I’m even able to save without a patch).

Boo.

Title: In the cutscene, where Ryo leaves Dobuita, the music is way too quiet
Platform: PS4 (Shenmue 1)
Title Version: 1.01
Reproduction rate: 5 out of 5 tries
Category: Sound
Priority: Low

In the cutscene where Ryo walks through Dobuita for the last time the volume of the music is way too low.

Title: Prophecy narrating voice missing in final cutscene on boat
Platform: PS4 (Shenmue 1) EDIT: Japanese Voiceover
Reproduction rate: 1 out of 1 try
Category: Sound
Priority: Medium
Reproduction Go to the last in-game day of Shenmue 1. The day will start with a number of cutscenes automatically. One is the scene where Ryo walks through Dobuita on his way to the harbour and the tune "Christmas on Dobuita Street" plays in the background.
Observed Result: The music volume is way too low and the background music is almost inaudible during the cutscene.
Expected Result: The music volume needs to be adjusted. Check the original cutscene on Dreamcast to find out how it is done correctly.

In the final cutscene with Ryo on the boat there is no voice reading the prophecy (extremely diminishing the epicness of that scene).

EDIT: I played with Japanese original voices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Title: No button on the screen indicating, when to actively continue a conversation
Platform: PS4 (Shenmue 1)
Reproduction rate: 5 out of 5 try
Category: Gameplay

Whenever there is a dialog, where you have to press the button again in order to continue the conversation, in the original game the button would appear in the lower right corner of the screen. In the remake the button prompt never appears during the conversation. So if you don't know, you have no idea that you have to press again and the conversation just stops.

Title: Npc Falls out of the Sky
Platform: Xbox One
Category: Visual
Not fixed
Priority: High
Observed Result: Npc falls out of the sky outside arcade.
Expected Result: Npc should appear on ground level.

Air-Eri! Nice! :D

Edit: I think that's my favorite bug ever. It's like she's returning from the mothership, after a trip to the home planet of bitchy aliens. :p

Last edited:
It could be related to bloom bug which is present on consoles. Did you try to go to options and turn off the bloom (just click on bloom "off") and see if fps goes back to normal? That's what I have to do on PS4 always when I view the notebook or the game opens it by itself (when Ryo wakes up in the morning).

I think it is. For some odd reason though it doesn't show it as on. It feels like it's turning the bloom on but not showing it as on if that makes sense? Because when I change the settings just a tiny bit, the FPS returns to normal. It's like it forgets my settings and reapplying it changes it back to what I picked.

Title: Npc Falls out of the Sky
Platform: Xbox One
Category: Visual
Not fixed
Observed Result: Npc falls out of the sky outside arcade.
Expected Result: Npc should appear on ground level.

This exact same thing briefly happens with Ryo after learning the Pit Blow on the PC version, but it's a very minor issue though since you barely see him coming from the sky so it isn't as obvious as the video you posted.

Last edited:
Title: Throw moves (ex: Shoulder Buster) not showing training progress each day, until another story event is reached
Platform: Xbox One (Shenmue 1)
Reproduction rate: 15 out of 15 try
Category: Gameplay/UI

When using the pre-bedtime menu, whether training all moves, or just the Shoulder Buster by itself, no progress is shown the following morning. In my case, the bar was firmly stuck between the L and the D of "Shoulder Buster". Even when training in the dojo, over and over, practically twisting poor Fuku-san's arm clean off, no progress was shown the next day.....over the course of like 10 days (while I was training all of my other moves up to max). Actually, from Janurary 3rd to January _18th_ (or later) there was no movement at all. This was at the point in the story where I was supposed to get a job at the harbor. As soon as I advanced the story by talking to Goro and Mai, the following morning, the bar progress jumped up past where it had been before, to between the E & R of "Shoulder".

This may be happening with all throw moves. I think it is. I'm pretty sure I lost all that progress (that I didn't make) while I was Groundhog Daying, practicing throws every day, and not advancing the story. Punches and kicks are advancing normally (for this version of the game). All my punch and kick moves became fully maxed out (red) over that time, from training in the park (all day every day).

Notice the dates at the top, on the video and in the screenshots.

H6Zpq6c.png

7yoQTRL.png

Last edited:
I think it is. For some odd reason though it doesn't show it as on. It feels like it's turning the bloom on but not showing it as on if that makes sense? Because when I change the settings just a tiny bit, the FPS returns to normal. It's like it forgets my settings and reapplying it changes it back to what I picked.

Exactly if it turns back on by itself (in options you still see off highlighted), you have to select it again.

Last edited:
Im sure we've noted most of the Shenmue 1 bugs already so let's try to get some bug reports for 2, please. I'll start.

Current Version: PS4: 1.0.1

Title: Shenmue 2 is way too dark

Platform: PS4(Pretty sure applies to all)

Category: Lighting

Priority: Critical

Reproduction Steps: Turn the game on and look lmao

Observed Result: Game is way too dark. Needs a gama slider or a higher default level. Shenmue 1 gets a little too dark sometimes as well(Old Warehouse District stealth section) but its never this bad. The game is hard to see even when its on broad daylight. Cranking the contrast slider to 100 helps a little but then overblows certain colors.

Expected Result: You should be able to see the game

Title: Freezeframe/combo QTEs not showing correct button inputs(Not the standard 1 button QTEs, whatever the ones that ask for multiple inputs are called)

Platform: PS4

Category: QTE/UI

Reproduction Steps: Hard to reproduce since the freze frame, multiple input types of QTEs are infrequent and there doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to them messing up.

Observed Result: Sometimes the QTE does not show each button you need to press in the sequence or even shows an incorrect button.

Expected Result: QTE should show the same prompts every time, let alone the correct ones.

Title: Watch icon stays on X button for entire play session.

Platform: PS4

Category: UI

Reproduction Steps: When the game forces Ryo to go to bed each night and the camera focuses to the watch, the watch icon stays on the X button on the HUD for the rest of the play session. Only way to fix is to close the game but this fix only lasts until Ryo has to go to bed again. This happens 100% of the time.

Observed Result: Watch button icon stays on screen indefinitely.

Expected Result: After the cutscene of Ryo looking at his watch ends, it should go back to being context sensitive.

Honestly in my experience, Shenmue 2 survived the transition nearly flawlessly. Much better than Shenmue 1 in terms of port quality. If I had to guess, porting an Xbox game was probably much easier than porting a Dreamcast game. The biggest problem here is the game being way too dark which should be the easiest fix in this whole collection.

I'm not sure if it's posted but...

Title: Moves animation changes halfway before it reaches orange in the move list (moderate) and back to before that either randomly or often after a cutscene back and forth.
Reproduction Rate: Do some training until you get halfway or more than that close to orange on the move list. Go to the move list, and the move animation will suddenly change. Cutscenes seems to often revert the move animations back before that instantly normally, yet training the moves again for a minute or so changes again after looking at the scroll.
Category: Gameplay
Priority: Low
Observed Result: Move animation changing prematurely before reaching orange.
Expected Result: Move animation only changes after reaching orange. The new animation is suppose to take place either after you look at the list again or after training.

I hope I'm making sense of what I'm talking about, but I think this was already reported, but not sure.

Last edited:
Honestly in my experience, Shenmue 2 survived the transition nearly flawlessly. Much better than Shenmue 1 in terms of port quality. If I had to guess, porting an Xbox game was probably much easier than porting a Dreamcast game. The biggest problem here is the game being way too dark which should be the easiest fix in this whole collection.
I actually think Shenmue 2 is worse because the music is so screwed up which for me is worse than how dark it is. At least in Shenmue 1 you might get some period without bugs and the music is fine.

Last edited:
I hope I'm making sense of what I'm talking about, but I think this was already reported, but not sure.

This has been mentioned, but I don't think anyone realized that it happens specifically when the move hits 1/4, so I'm sure that's something helpful they can add, if there is an existing bug report. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back