Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could buy a bunch of lighters as well if you had the money (in the original releases DC/XBOX they were Zippo branded lighters however the Zippo branding along with all other official brandings associated with Shenmue I & II was removed for the rerelease), I almost always buy lighters before triggering the first cutscene featuring Wong as the lighters are IMHO the best way to recover most of the money you would have lost after getting your bag stolen (the only time I don't do this is when I attempt to complete the Disc 1 portion of Shenmue II on the first day which can be done although it's always close.

That was a lot of good info packed in one post! :) I knew about the branding thing, but I'm not sure I even realized it was possible to recover your money, in any way. My wife and I always just gambled.

So far the music sounds fine to me, at least the ones that are etched in my memory (Queen St, Green Market Qr). But, it seems like some of the random shop music sounds weird, like some of the instruments are mixed lower. But, it could just be my imagination on those as I don't really remember what Bar Man Mo and the Fortune's Eatery music sounds like.

That was a lot of good info packed in one post! :) I knew about the branding thing, but I'm not sure I even realized it was possible to recover your money, in any way. My wife and I always just gambled.
It's possible, you just have to spend your money on either capsule toys or lighters (lighters are your best bet IMO) before meeting Wong for the first time, Sam, Larry and Cool Z/J only take the money in Ryo's bag not the actual items so if you invest in either kind of item you can recover a good amount if not most of your money easily.

This is also the same on PS4 v 1.0.1. What I have found is that once they hit a certain point towards mastery they tend to stay as the alternative form.

Yeah ive since discovered that, although personally i'd have preffered it if they didnt know that, so they viewed it as more important to fix ;) lol

It messes up your fighting though as you adapt to the new moves if they change earlier than supposed to, then when you fight half your moves are different as they back to basic form. Once you get further like you say it resolves itself though.
But it seems this could related to the bug in the bug list where ryos move's change form too early.

Last edited:
EDIT: This may or may not be a bug after all. I reloaded an earlier save and managed to trigger it. Im not sure what the difference was. I think i may have simply been not running close enough to warehouse 18 (if so, apologies)

Please delete this report if you feel neccesary.

Spoilers ahead.

Title: Shozo Mizuki (homeless harbor guy) Move Teaching Cutscene doesnt trigger
Platform: PC
Title Version: (Shenmue 1 of the release)1.02
Category: Gameplay
Priority: High
Reproduction Rate:
untested as would involve starting a new game and playing through until this point-many hours. My current save though , no matter how many earlier savesi reload and play through t this point, the scene doesnt trigger (i have save going back about an in game week)

Observed Result: After first day of work at harbor, after having previously bought Shozo the coffee, you have a cutscene with gui zhang where he teaches you a move. After this, after 7pm, you should be able to walk by harbour lounge/tomato store and trigger the Shozo cutscene where he teaches you shadow step. This does not happen on my save. This also means no further moves will be offered to be taught to ryo by Shozo, as without the first cutscene happening, the ones further on wont either, where he teaches the more advanced stuff.

Expected Result: Shozo Mizuki shadow step custscene should trigger once it reaches 7pm after first day of work (if youve previously bought him the coffee), when you walk by the tomato store/harbor lounge,meaning you can learn the move from him.

Reproduction Steps: Unsure, played through the same as all my othr times, bar getting some stuff done in 1 day that usually takes two, so i have missed some megumi cutscenes, and i defeated chai. Other than that all i can say is play through game until that point and see if it reproduces it.

Last edited:
Week 2 Status Report

Current version number:
PS4: 1.01
Xbox One: 1.0.3
PC: 1.02

- Reported Issues
Total Issues: 152
Total PS4: 77
Total Xbox One: 38
Total PC: 37
Total Criticals: 10
Total Severes: 59
Total Minors: 85

- Fix Verified
Total: 3
PS4: 2
Xbox One: 0
PC: 1

- Claim Fixed
Total: 8
PS4: 0
PC: 8

- Not Fixed
Total: 135
PS4: 70
Xbox One: 38
PC: 27

- WNF
Total: 5
PS4: 4
PC: 1

the only time I don't do this is when I attempt to complete the Disc 1 portion of Shenmue II on the first day which can be done although it's always close.

It's not possible to complete the Disc 1 portion of Shenmue II on the first day. If you learn the Iron Palm before you've slept at the Come Over Guest House, time will automatically advance to 7pm, blocking you from Man Mo Temple.

It's not possible to complete the Disc 1 portion of Shenmue II on the first day. If you learn the Iron Palm before you've slept at the Come Over Guest House, time will automatically advance to 7pm, blocking you from Man Mo Temple.
Yes it is because I've done it personally, if I still had a working DC I'd happily record a video for proof that it can be done.

Was the notebook music in Shenmue 2 always so loud and harsh? I am now paying careful attention to the X-button icon to avoid the shock of opening it by mistake.

Title: Sunset sequense dont start
Platform:
Xbox One s
Title Version: 1.3.0.0
Category: cinema
Not fixed
Priority: Low to medium
Reproduction Rate: Happens every time
Observed Result: the sunset clip wont start at evenings! Can't remember what time it used to start on the dreamcast
Expected Result:
Game plays movie
Reproduction steps: start a day and wait until sunset when the sunset clip with gitar is about to start

I had a similar issue, the night cinematic kicks off but is very glitchy - mostly a black screen but the sound was ok. (Version 1.3 for me too) didn’t crash the game, so only low priority.

Just booted the game up and the intro sequence has started playing over the top of the main title screen.

Shenhua's subtitles have appeared on screen, and the save games won't load up.

What a mess.

Has anyone noticed that "Shenmue Mode" is broken on Shenmue II? It's supposed to have voice and only show subtitles when you skip dialogue. Currently, the subtitles show all the time, and the only option to turn them off prevents you from skipping dialogue period. That's how my wife and I have always played it, so it's a bummer.

If I had been given a choice for between the 2 games which I'd prefer to be more broke than the other, I would've chosen Shenmue II...at least I can hold off on that one until they fix it. If the notebook music came screaming at me all the time while playing S1, I probably would've ended up committing seppuku. To tell the God's honest truth, the notebook music issue is way more egregious than the cutscene issue, having experienced both. At least one is avoidable if you save often.

Last edited:
Playing on PS4. The cutscene where Mark is being attacked at the harbor was glitched out and focused on a random patch of ground elsewhere in the harbor. At the end of the cutscene when the free fight begins, the camera pulls all the way across the harbor back to the fight meaning there are about five seconds of free fight where you can’t see what’s going on. I lost about half of my health during those five seconds and had to replay the fight. The same thing happened but on the second time I spammed dodge and was able to avoid attacks while waiting for the camera to catch up.

So I've platinumed Shenmue 1 on PS4 and... well... 1000/1000'd Shenmue 1 on Xbone. Soooo many bugs in both versions but I've gotta say that all-around the Xbone version is better. Mainly because the music and sound isn't messed up. I have an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro (boost mode turned off... didn't even know WTF "Boost Mode" was until this game came out). The sound on the PS4 version is so bad! The dialog is immensely loud. I had to dial that back to about 20% and the sound effects to maybe 60%-ish while leaving the music at 100%. But even then, it's not consistent at all. Sometimes dialog will get louder or more quiet. Sometimes the dialog will have MASSIVE reverb. Quite often the music will have missing instruments or misses a beat of one instrument or another. Pretty sad, really. Neither Xbone or PS4 created a cleared save file. Turns out you have to skip the credits in order to create a cleared save file. Playing Space Harrier too much or being too good at it will cause Xbone and PS4 version to crash. If you lose the music whilst playing Space Harrier, you're screwed. Exit immediately and save, then reboot your console. If you don't play the arcade games much or at all you won't experience as many hard crashes. I haven't started Shenmue 2 on either console yet, and I am afraid.

But despite all this, apparently I'm supposed to worship the ground that D3T (how do you even pronounce that? Deet? Debt?) walks on. Because ALL games are apparently released in this condition these days and I should be singing praise that I got anything at all. A while ago I thought that'd I'd be happy with a bare-bones HD port of the Shenmue games. When when I thought that, I had no idea that anything this embarrassingly bad would ever be released in such a condition.

Oh well I guess the defenders are right! I'm GLAD Sega and d3t decided to release Shenmue in a broken state! I'm glad Sega went with the lowest possible bidder on a beloved franchise like Shenmue. I'm glad quality is not a primary concern. They can always fix it later, right? So it's OK! Damn it I just can't be cool with that school of thought. That's dumb. Why even buy any game at launch if they are released in such a sloppy state? But if nobody does, then the games never sell. PS4 and Xbone servers won't be online forever. Wanna play these games in 20 years? Hope your console's hard drives are still working because you won't always be able to redownload the patches like some people think. Nobody thinks about the future. We're not even allowed to back the patches up locally and install them ourselves. The only way to play this release in the future in a decently functional state will involve piracy. Thanks Sega.

And sorry if I pissed off anyone here. From what I've seen elsewhere, some Shenmue fans will defend Sega and d3t to the death.

I just hope they don't release Shenmue 3 until it is ABSOLUTELY READY. Seriously. I'm actually scared about that now.

Last edited:
My oh my! the whinge is strong here.... How many different ways can they say a patch is coming this week for PS4, based on the very stable PC branch patches... Nothing is going to change when you load the game up on PS4 until that patch is out. But people feel the need to write some heart felt dissertation.. the way some people speak you would think their very being is at stake

Eh, it's the user's first post Rig... give 'em a break. Although the Dojo reached its peak with this stuff 2 weeks ago, there's a lot of Shenmue fans who weren't part of that conversation.

PS4 and Xbone servers won't be online forever. Wanna play these games in 20 years? Hope your console's hard drives are still working because you won't always be able to redownload the patches like some people think. Nobody thinks about the future. We're not even allowed to back the patches up locally and install them ourselves. The only way to play this release in the future in a decently functional state will involve piracy.

Also that's a fair point, patches or not.

My oh my! the whinge is strong here.... How many different ways can they say a patch is coming this week for PS4, based on the very stable PC branch patches... Nothing is going to change when you load the game up on PS4 until that patch is out. But people feel the need to write some heart felt dissertation.. the way some people speak you would think their very being is at stake
People paid money and waited a long time for this collection. Many people here have a very strong attachment to these games. It's not that hard to figure out why people are upset. It's nice you don't care and think we're all big crybabies; you've said as much elsewhere. Some of us care, though, and will continue to speak about this since we've already invested so much time waiting for this collection.

We're here because we love Shenmue. Doesn't it make sense some of us would be very upset that the game we love was released in poor condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back