SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation: Episode 2 - Daybreak - Thread

Sneak peak of the new episode right here!

Genuinely, every new thing I see from the anime looks just fucking perfect. Like, better than I had ever anticipated it could. I love the adaption of Ryo's investigation, and I love the much more natural dynamic between Ryo and Nozomi - it manages to maintain a slight awkwardness between them without it being akin to a conversation between two planks of wood like it is in the games.

You can just see that the people handling the anime get Shenmue, man.

Sneak peak of the new episode right here!

nozomi is too different in the anime. i like this new ryo but i don't think i like this new nozomi

I think Nozomi is fine, but it's the voice in the dub that throws me off. It's a really stark contrast from the Nozomi we know in shenmue 1, who has a gentle and reassuring voice. Here, her voice is slightly more sarcastic with a hint of sharpness. So yeah personally I don't think the characterization is off, just the voice is too different. I'm watching subbed anyways so it doesn't matter to me :cool:

I don't think we will see forklift in episode 2, maybe episode 3

Nice sneak peek, nice to see Ryo investigating.

Regarding Nozomi... her voice in Japanese is better in my opinion, in Japanese Nozomi is really similar to Nozomi in the games, and i feel that Nozomi in the Japanese version won't say "Don't be dumb" for Ryo like it happened here in the english version, i have plans to watch the english version someday but i prefer to watch Shenmue in japanese.

Last edited:
Looking good! Here's the investigation people are clamouring for.

It's rare for any dub to compare favourably to the original language. This is no different in my opinion, despite the quality being totally fine and on par with what you'd expect from this type of anime. Nozomi sounds more like the Nozomi we know in Japanese.

I have zero issues with her appearance, though. Some people were saying they didn't realise it was Nozomi...like, whuuu? It's so very clearly Nozomi. Ryo is probably a bigger departure than Nozomi, I reckon. I wouldn't say any of the main characters are absolute replicas of their game counterparts, but it works regardless.

Looking good! Here's the investigation people are clamouring for.

It's rare for any dub to compare favourably to the original language. This is no different in my opinion, despite the quality being totally fine and on par with what you'd expect from this type of anime. Nozomi sounds more like the Nozomi we know in Japanese.

I have zero issues with her appearance, though. Some people were saying they didn't realise it was Nozomi...like, whuuu? It's so very clearly Nozomi. Ryo is probably a bigger departure than Nozomi, I reckon. I wouldn't say any of the main characters are absolute replicas of their game counterparts, but it works regardless.
I've seen a few comments like this on a few sites now; people saying they didn't even recognise Nozomi/Fuku-san/Liu-san (alright, Liu-san is almost forgivable, I guess). I'm assuming most of these comments are deliberately hyperbolic to show how annoyed/upset some people are by the character's depictions in the anime, but still, any time I read these comments I'm just wondering if these people have even played Shenmue. 🤦‍♂️

No idea how you can see any of the characters in the anime and not recognise them instantly - the animators have done such a good job sticking to the source material.

I think what is happening here with Nozomi is similar to what happened with Squall in FF VIII for example.

In one scene In english, Squall replies “whatever”. In Japanese, Squall says warukatta na, a terse apology that feels sort of like a plain “sorry”, “well, excuuuse me” or “my bad”. This warukatta na line slowly becomes Squall catchphrase in Japanese.

In my opinion this differences also have to do with the differences in west culture and asian culture, specifically japanese in this case, so probably Nozomi will never say "Don't be dumb" in the japanese version because Nozomi is a gentle character.

As for recognizing the characters, I recognized all of them in the first episode.

Nothing new here I don't believe, but Adult Swim France officially released a clip of the Toonami preview we saw with Charlie:

Nothing new here I don't believe, but Adult Swim France officially released a clip of the Toonami preview we saw with Charlie:
Why is Ryo's face grey lmao

Anime Nozomi sounds much better. Video game nozomi sounded like a monotone answering machine.

I've gotten use to the new nozomi and prefer her now. Especially her interactions with Ryo. They're really wholesome and add a new layer to their relationship

I love Nozomi's interactions with Ryo too, so far the interactions are very beautiful, I'm enjoying it, this way adding more things to their relationship, but as a said in the other post in japanese is much better to me. Nozomi in the japanese version have a gentle and sweet voice, was a wonderful choice for the japanese version.

In one sneak peek we can see Charlie, so probably in the second episode Ryo will save Xie Gao Wen, investigate about the letter and about sailors, Heartbeats bar and tattoo parlor. Ryo will probably go to Russiya China Shop and then Xiuyu Xia will translate the letter, maybe we will see Ryo calling to talk to Guizhang or Master Chen, more scenes with Lan Di, more scenes with Shenhua, Nozomi and much more. Maybe the episode will end with Ryo going to the Harbor/Warehouse No 8

Just a little bit more for the second episode, i'm looking forward

Last edited:
Back