SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation: Episode 2 - Daybreak - Thread

Tonk post incoming so I apologise lol.

Amazing second episode! I think I actually prefer it to the first, and I didn't think it could get much better than that tbh.
As a lot of people expected, the pacing of the first episode was breakneck, mainly as it was the first episode and they need to set the stage for the story, but also need to include a satisfying story arc all within 23 minutes. Adding the Chai fight was necessary to complete the first arc, but ended up making the episode feel slightly rushed, but it was the right call to make new viewers understand/get excited etc. This episode has much better pacing overall, and although there was a load of information handed to the viewer, it didn't feel like an overload.

Notable things that I stood out:-
Dream Sequence:
Their take on the dream sequence is just awesome. They've used it to add additional questions to what happened that day with the focus point of Ryo asking why & what his father did wrong. The animation seems to be focusing not just solely on revenge, but more on the fact that Ryo believes/trusts that Iwao was a good person, and would never kill. It seems he is more hellbent on the fact of learning/proving that, more than revenge itself which is very interesting.

Bailu – This scene was fucking awesome!
I am SO happy that they are continuing down the route of showing Bailu early, and it was my wish that they would spend enough time there to flesh out the characters from Shenmue III. As the camera follows Shenhua walking through the village square past Zixiong, Mingyang and to the Lin & the kids with Elder Yeh, I was hoping so much that we would learn something extra that we didn't know from SIII. The fact that the village kids are all taught about the poem is just a nice little touch, and feels like it adds even more importance to the prophecy. Love that Lin makes Shenhua have a sudden realisation too. (Also awesome that the lamb is just casually following her everywhere :p).
I have my fingers crossed that Shenhua will walk back over the verdant bridge and take that rice wine to Yuan, where we can learn more about him in a future episode!

The boombox, the Tails and the Binsbein 2 on Ryos desk! Love these little details that literally mean nothing to general watchers, but are a nice nod to the fans! Makes me really pay attention looking for the references!

I really like how they are keeping Chai in the story, lurking from the shadows. This really builds on the games as it adds to the shadowy/stealthy aspects of his character, but also just general shows us what he gets up in-between the instances we see him confront Ryo. @RetroLord420 said something sick which makes a hell of a lot of sense:

I would love that!

Yamagishi-San:-
For me, this is the main dish for this episode :D! The extra stuff that they have added to Yamagishi-san is pure gold. This mini arc just adds detail to every character involved, and fills out backstory to them too. At the same time, it makes me question something very obvious from the games, that I've never questioned before. This has happened a number of times in the animation for me already.

Since watching the anime, I feel like I've kinda just been on autopilot when playing the games. I've played them at least once a year since 2000, and feel as if I've just been going through the motions. I don't really think about or question anything anymore. These 2 episodes of the anime (and Shenmue III to some extent), have made me start to question the small things, and I think this is one of my favourite things about the anime tbh.

Episode 1 made me really think about the route that Lan Di drove in the black car for some reason, and also about what he did when he turned up at the Hazuki Dojo (how did the Hazuki sign get snapped in half? Did Lan Di order the thugs to break it? Was the storm so bad that the wind knocked it down etc?). These are minor things that we don't see, but because we don't see them, I'd never really thought about them.

In Episode 2, when Ryo asked Yamagishi-san “do you happen to know where my father lived before that?” I started to wonder why I'd never thought about it before lol. Obviously we know that Iwao spent some time in Bailu, but I'd never spent time to think about it. I really hope they do show us more flashbacks of Iwao!

As per last week, I could go on for hours lol. I just loved this episode so much. Really happy with the way they dealt with the detective scenes, and the liberties that they are taking with telling their version of the story! They are doing a fantastic job of making everything connected and make sense, and as a fan of the games, it is SO interesting to see what they chop and change in their adaption! I love it!
  • Seeing inside extra rooms and places is a fucking blast too, Nozomi's room etc.
  • That camera pan that reveals Tony and Smith when Ryo is walking down to Heartbeats looks incredible (the POV camera).
  • All the fight scenes, animation and music is just A++ again like last week!
OK, that's enough now! :D

Bring on episode 3! Yin Yang!!

TL:DR:- So sick!
They even make Yamagishi San even *more* of a badass in this, as he says that Iwao used to ask him about the "old martial arts" as Iwao didn't know much about them. Yamagishi was basically a tutor to Iwao! (Unless this was in the game already, but I don't remember it).

Totally agree with you. Also the ending theme, I think it's called "Sympathy" is just as great as the main theme. Is that called "Undead-Noid"? What a weird name.😄
This anime is such a breath of fresh air for the franchise.
It's like being reborn with a new spirit.
Outside of total remake from scratch of the whole series, this is the best thing we could have asked for imo.

They even make Yamagishi San even *more* of a badass in this, as he says that Iwao used to ask him about the "old martial arts" as Iwao didn't know much about them. Yamagishi was basically a tutor to Iwao! (Unless this was in the game already, but I don't remember it).
Yeh I don't think it's mentioned in the games! It just adds so much more detail to characters we've loved for so long, but it's all very tasteful and makes sense. I mean, it could also be things that were meant to be there in the first place, but were cut for some reason, but it's done so well that it doesn't matter if not! Love it!

I really hope we get 2 trailers for next weeks episode like we did this week. One focusing on action, and one on the detective side! I have a feeling episode 3 is going to really expand on what we know about the mirrors from Master Chen.

Yeh I don't think it's mentioned in the games! It just adds so much more detail to characters we've loved for so long, but it's all very tasteful and makes sense. I mean, it could also be things that were meant to be there in the first place, but were cut for some reason, but it's done so well that it doesn't matter if not! Love it!

I really hope we get 2 trailers for next weeks episode like we did this week. One focusing on action, and one on the detective side! I have a feeling episode 3 is going to really expand on what we know about the mirrors from Master Chen.
The way they introduce some of the dialogues so casually is also very well made.
Like the conversation with Liu San in the ajiichi restaurant.
In the game you have to go and look for him, but in the anime, the moment arises spontaneously.
Really cool.

I must say I did not play any of the Shenmue games since the disappointment I felt after Shenmue 3, but this anime adaptation brought back some of my dormant enthusiasm towards the series. Both episodes so far followed the games closely, but the story-telling was even better. I cannot wait to see how far the story goes and what we get after 13 episodes. Also, I think the anime is a good medium to tell the story of Shenmue and there is a chance to see more from Shenmue 3 (at least something about Shenhua's father or something).

I finished the episode now... i need time to reflect about everything i saw.

I thought it was a beautiful episode. The pace is fine in my opinion, it is clear to me that we will not see half of episode or an entire episode of Ryo asking the characters for just one clue like in the game and that's okay to me, i love the slow pace of the first game but this is really a new take on the Shenmue story and the way Ryo finds the clues/informations in the anime is really interesting.

We saw Ryo investigating but this is happening in a different way, we even saw some NPCs of the first game like Kurita-san, and Saijo-san was the one that gave the clue about Heartbeats bar, i'm enjoying the way the anime team did this things.

Was beautiful to see some things i thought happening like Ryo having nightmare with Lan Di and Shenmue III characters appearing, was a sweet and lovely moment for me seeing Shenmue III characters appearing, beautiful decision to give Shenhua and Bailu Village more screen time, this way building Shenhua character, adding more things to the story and lore of Shenmue and much more, it is beautiful Lan Di with more screen time as well, and i think Shenhua and Lan Di will appear in all the episodes.

I love the interactions with Nozomi, this way adding more things to their relationship, and i was right that Nozomi in the japanese version did not said to Ryo... "Don't be Dumb." In the japanese version Nozomi say... "Because is what friends do!"

I have plans to watch Shenmue anime in english someday but i really prefer Nozomi in the japanese version, and i like Nozomi in the game as well.

I love seeing Yamagishi-san with more screen time and with his own mini arc, the mini arc if he should help Ryo or not, the look Ryo gave to Yamagishi-san... Yamagishi-san noticed that is a look of someone that wants revenge... later in the episode Yamagishi-san was worried about this talking with Ine-san and Fuku-san, the revenge is there but we are just seeing Ryo question more things and i think this is an awesome route for this version of the story.

Chai in the shadows, probably Chai will fight more times with Ryo, like Jessie and James and Meowth always fight Ash in Pokemon and i'm okay with this things, the voice of Chai in japanese is really similar to the one in the games, beautiful decision.

I love the fights in the episode, Ryo saving Xie Gao Wen, Xie Gao Wen saying Xie Xie just like in the game, this and much more shows how much the anime team is dealing with care to the details about Shenmue, beautiful.

I love the final fight, Yamagishi-san seeing everything and then decided to help Ryo, and Ryo learning the Double Blow from Yamagishi-san.

I love the easter eggs in this episode about capsule toys. You Arcade is bigger in the anime, was nice to see some things in Dobuita in this episode.

I need to see the episode again to have more thoughts about it but is a beautiful episode, next episode Guizhang and Master Chen, I'm looking forward to it and i think the season is going to get even better and better.

Last edited:

As was requested, I went back and put in some Dreamcast buttons. Now it feels like true Shenmue QTE goodness :D

(sorry for the repost btw.)
This is amazing...
Can I use this as a reel on my Instagram? Would give you a shout out if you on there of course

Just finished episode 2 and I absolutely love it. It's great fun and the right pacing. There was plenty of action scenes but also had some of Ryo in familiar scenes doing his detective work. This was perfection

I like pacing but hope series 1 is just Shenmue 1, then we get a series per game

This is amazing...
Can I use this as a reel on my Instagram? Would give you a shout out if you on there of course

Yeah, sure go ahead. I don't mind. :blush: Glad you liked it. Was kind of thinking of doing more as the show goes on. So many iconic QTE fights you can do this with.

Not to mention trying to do the Shenmue II freeze frame QTE's...that sounds like a challenge to learn in Premiere.

Last edited:
Just finished episode 2 and I absolutely love it. It's great fun and the right pacing. There was plenty of action scenes but also had some of Ryo in familiar scenes doing his detective work. This was perfection

I like pacing but hope series 1 is just Shenmue 1, then we get a series per game
Well, we've seen the cave scene already. IT's probably 3 or 4 more episodes for S1.

My guess is something like episode 3: meeting the Chen's, finding the Phoenix Mirror and learning about it from Master Chen. Episode 4: working at the harbor, learning about the Long Zha, rescuing Nozomi. Episode 5: 70 man bastle and S1 finale.

Maybe S1 will get stretched out to episode 6, but they're not gonna use another 11 episodes to cover S1.

Back