SPOILERS Shenmue The Animation: Episode 2 - Daybreak - Thread

The amount of love and care about details is amazing, on my third watch i noticed that in the warehouse fight with Charlie’s gang Ryo uses the move where you kinda side step and trip the opponent with your leg and hands. I dont remember the move’s name but the animation is identical to the game’s move.

Theres no doubt that whoever directed the anime is a big fan of the game.

Sorry for the double post but I just read this one!

I think this is an interesting take - I agree with @Hiki in that Shenhua being part of the prophecy means that Ryo is as well. But an idea I just got from your take is that perhaps it could be about both Iwao and Ryo? There's been some speculation that Shenhua might have been reincarnated (and if so, why?), so what if the prophecy is something cyclical and an earlier version of "Shenhua" was supposed to team up with Iwao? Then something disrupted it along the way and Iwao's cycle ended with his death?

In Shenmue III Shenhua said she have vivid dreams where she is a city when the emperor was lived, that is like she lived a thousand birthdays. Yu Suzuki said that Shenhua has the faculty to link to her ancestors

Some people even say that in this image is not Shenhua, some people say that's an earlier incarnation of Shenhua from the past.

1644926267480.png

I never thought about it this way, this is a interesting theory. Maybe is something cyclical like you said, Iwao failed and maybe even others before Iwao failed as well, the cycle of revenge continued, The Chi You Men is not over, but now Ryo will be the one that will make all the right choices and will save the world, the cycle of revenge will end, Ryo will destroy the Chi You Men and much more, to understand this more we can say that Ryo is the chosen one, i like this theory.

There is definitely a magazine from 1999 that has that picture of Shenhua listed as a different character, with a different name. Basically indicating that they are not the same person. I will see if I can find it later because I don't think it's in the media section.

Of course the argument against it will always be that its a translation error etc. Especially from back then, and the fact that it was literally one magazine that had it.

Today i found another detail in this scene that i haven't saw before. When i saw the episode other times i saw the capsule toys and the stereo but only today i noticed the cassette tapes.

The identity and essence of Shenmue is there, the anime team found a nice balance to tell the story while also showing the details we can found in the gameplay like capsule toys, cassette tapes and much more, the pace is fine, i really love this new take on the Shenmue franchise.

1644930851707.png

this has been amazingly done with care and respect to the franchise. we are in the midst of history again. I had just finished the Japanese version.

Sorry I wasn't here. Was rooting for my hometown football team in the Super Bowl. The Cincinnati Bengals. And, I needed some time to accept the loss. But I am here to say: this Shenmue episode cheered me right on up. it had all the correct beats with enough easter eggs for the longtime fans scattered throughout. I believe the additions to the storyline that is new storyline beats that are fun connecting factors that could have been in the game. All in all, I give this one a five-star approval.

The amount of love and care about details is amazing, on my third watch i noticed that in the warehouse fight with Charlie’s gang Ryo uses the move where you kinda side step and trip the opponent with your leg and hands. I dont remember the move’s name but the animation is identical to the game’s move.

Theres no doubt that whoever directed the anime is a big fan of the game.
This is so cool, I totally missed this. It's exactly like the game!

IjnsJvC.png

I did notice in the first fight with Charlie's goons, Ryo does that move where if you grab an enemy from behind he'll grab their arm and hold on to them, leaving you free to kick other enemies. And if you leave it a while or press kick, Ryo just knees the fuck outta them. He does that exact thing to the blonde-haired guy with glasses. There's even the trademark pause between the grab and the knee because you've not pressed the button.

8v7VqFk.png

These little details that they've included, and kept near-on identical to the source material, are just incredible. They have done such an amazing job, and I really hope the team knows how much the fans appreciate this kind of thing. So fucking cool!

This is so cool, I totally missed this. It's exactly like the game!

IjnsJvC.png

I did notice in the first fight with Charlie's goons, Ryo does that move where if you grab an enemy from behind he'll grab their arm and hold on to them, leaving you free to kick other enemies. And if you leave it a while or press kick, Ryo just knees the fuck outta them. He does that exact thing to the blonde-haired guy with glasses. There's even the trademark pause between the grab and the knee because you've not pressed the button.

8v7VqFk.png

These little details that they've included, and kept near-on identical to the source material, are just incredible. They have done such an amazing job, and I really hope the team knows how much the fans appreciate this kind of thing. So fucking cool!
Yep, thats the one..

Whoever is directing the anime has done his homework.

this has been amazingly done with care and respect to the franchise. we are in the midst of history again. I had just finished the Japanese version.

Sorry I wasn't here. Was rooting for my hometown football team in the Super Bowl. The Cincinnati Bengals. And, I needed some time to accept the loss. But I am here to say: this Shenmue episode cheered me right on up. it had all the correct beats with enough easter eggs for the longtime fans scattered throughout. I believe the additions to the storyline that is new storyline beats that are fun connecting factors that could have been in the game. All in all, I give this one a five-star approval.
I was crushed for you. I'm a born and raised Eagles fan from Philly but my family is from KY. I grew up rooting for the Bengals too. That holding call was BS!!!!!! Ruined the game.

In any case, I hope the Shenmue Anime can soften the blow. It's a wonderful treat.

So I guess there really is nowhere to get the English dub outside of Adult Swim and its paywall? I can't even find it through certain other methods of getting it <coughs in throat>.

That's a bit of a shame. Especially living in Australia. Oh well, I'll keep watching my preferred Japanese dub through Crunchyroll...but I kind of want to watch both versions week by week.

So I guess there really is nowhere to get the English dub outside of Adult Swim and its paywall? I can't even find it through certain other methods of getting it <coughs in throat>.

That's a bit of a shame. Especially living in Australia. Oh well, I'll keep watching my preferred Japanese dub through Crunchyroll...but I kind of want to watch both versions week by week.
Yeah, it's annoying...I really want to watch this with my partner but he's not got much tolerance for subtitles so the English dub would be preferable for that. For those of us in the UK I guess it's possible E4 may get it eventually, they seem to end up airing a lot of Adult Swim stuff? Not sure about elsewhere like Oz though :(

Some people even say that in this image is not Shenhua, some people say that's an earlier incarnation of Shenhua from the past.

View attachment 14216

I never thought about it this way, this is a interesting theory. Maybe is something cyclical like you said, Iwao failed and maybe even others before Iwao failed as well, the cycle of revenge continued, The Chi You Men is not over, but now Ryo will be the one that will make all the right choices and will save the world, the cycle of revenge will end, Ryo will destroy the Chi You Men and much more, to understand this more we can say that Ryo is the chosen one, i like this theory.
I don't think everything needs to be explained, the mystique is awesome, but I think Shenhua has lived before, reborn like the Pheonix.

I took a stab at making another QTE video from last weeks episode. This time I got a bit ambitious in trying to replicate the Shenmue II QTE event sequence.

If anyone has clean sound effects for Shenmue II's QTE events then feel free to hit me up. Might make life easier going forward.

Anyways, enjoy!

I've never ever thought about this before but didn't the 'a man from the east' will arrive in the village part of the prophecy already technically come true before Ryo set foot in the village? I mean, Iwao was there earlier and the prophecy has been told (as far as I know) before even Shenhua was born.

I have a little theory, here. Maybe it's a tad convoluted. In the prophecy poem, I think most of us would agree that Lan Di is the 'dragon' and Ryo is the 'morning star' but I have always wondered who the phoenix could represent. I've thought Iwao in the past but I couldn't back it up with reasons why. Now I'm starting to think that the prophecy tells a tale of two young men from the east, Ryo and Iwao. The part of the prophecy that always made me feel gloomy was the part that states that the young man will fulfil his wishes but at the expense of his own destruction. The prophecy seems to imply that Ryo will get his revenge but at a huge price. What if we flipped this and thought of Iwao as the young man from the east in the poem? He fulfilled his wishes (preventing the mirrors from falling into the wrong hands) at the expense of his destruction (death). In the poem, he represents the phoenix, a symbol of rebirth. While he is not physically reborn, perhaps his will stays alive in Ryo, who retraces his father's footsteps in China and brings a conclusion to the situation with the mirrors. Idk, just a wild thought.

I just want Ryo to have a happy ending.
What if the morning star is the white leaf? When it "radiates" in the dark, it may look like a morning star, like the Phial of Galadriel in Lotr.

"a single morning star radiates its bright light."
The morning star may be the aura inside the leaf, reawakened. In stories there is often a twist where a secret was with the protagonist all along. His father's token may protect them in their darkest hour.

I took a stab at making another QTE video from last weeks episode. This time I got a bit ambitious in trying to replicate the Shenmue II QTE event sequence.

If anyone has clean sound effects for Shenmue II's QTE events then feel free to hit me up. Might make life easier going forward.

Anyways, enjoy!
Hahahaha, this is so sick!

Love the faithful recreation of the scenes and backgrounds. I was quite shocked that they included the Bailu crew. Some of the twists and changes were done well, fight scenes are a little bit quick but I suppose that ties into the whole not wasting flashy moves concept. Seeing the arcade was awesome as well as heart beats bar.
I'm glad to see you came around to liking the idea of a Shenmue anime, honestly I am surprised myself that it turned out so well

Back