Random Shenmue Anime Thoughts

She didn't have ANY henchmen though, other than low-ranking CYM. Like how Lan Di went to Japan and HK without his right hand guys (the guys dispatched by Ryo and Ren), I would have to think Ziming would stay back at their southern HQ... but that's speculation on our part.

I can't see Ziming NOT being in IV at this point.
I thought Longqi Ge is Niao Sun's henchman, you could say they're just low on the pecking order, but they're called the red snakes and Niao Sun takes the theme of the red Phoenix, suggesting they're more closely affliated, he's the strongest opponent she leaves to fight Ryo at the castle, and she's found hanging out at their base.

Speaking of Ziming, I wonder if we'll get more scenes of him and Niao Sun like we did in that manga.
I guess Ziming will betray Sun. She's nuts from what we've seen of her. It might be an interesting contrast to Lan Di who is very composed and I imagined has earned respect among his followers. Chai wants to prove himself to Lan Di so he may have an inspiring aura about him.

I think he'll betray the Chiyoumen as a whole. He's only in it to learn how what happened to his parents from what we've seen. If they bring back Chai, fine, but he's already had his use. But I want to know why there's inner conflict in the organization. Does Chinese organized crime have this kind of history?

She didn't have ANY henchmen though, other than low-ranking CYM. Like how Lan Di went to Japan and HK without his right hand guys (the guys dispatched by Ryo and Ren), I would have to think Ziming would stay back at their southern HQ... but that's speculation on our part.

I can't see Ziming NOT being in IV at this point.
Agree with Timing, but I never thought those people in the castle were his right hand men. I thought the men in black suits at the dojo were of more importance then the thugs in the castle. They seemed to be middle tier guys to me.

I think he'll betray the Chiyoumen as a whole. He's only in it to learn how what happened to his parents from what we've seen. If they bring back Chai, fine, but he's already had his use. But I want to know why there's inner conflict in the organization. Does Chinese organized crime have this kind of history?
The person in charge might enjoy the chaos. I'd like it to be Zhu, I think it would be a neat little twist because the same keys to find his room are the same beasts the CYM leaders take as their symbols and Zhu has been in a lot of places where he could instigate chaos, apperenty being the best friend of the man who was believed to have been killed by Iwao.

It might be a new character, there's a guy in the Akira artwork with a bald head and beard who may be Tentei.

Ok I suppose the Ziming thing was another dumb moment of mine, since I played Shenmue IIx and knew he wasn't a Chi You Men leader from the comic (as @Truck_1_0_1_ re-iterated) - so I should probably just completely delete my account at this point.

But yeah, I'm really hoping that Ziming and Xiuying appear in Shenmue IV (or the anime equivalent!). I think they're one of the most intriguing parts of the story, outside of the main story thread involving Iwao's past and Shenhua's mysteriousness.

Last edited:
Where are we posting and keeping track of these adultswim shenmue shorts/animations? I've seen two and they're both awesome. I hope there's more coming...

Now, I wonder if Ryo is going to enter China illegally through Master Chen. Does Ryo have a passport? I mean, he does work illegally in China in 2 and 3.

The Shenmue 2 portion of the story is quite meaty, I wonder what they will have to cut. I could definitely see the three street fighters being cut to one (most likely Chunyan) or with a heavy focus on the fight with her and a quick shot of Ryo thrashing Greg and Rod.

I'm also really interested to see how the anime handles the shenanigans in the stone pit. Floating sword or naw? Episode 1 seems to imply the latter.

I like how we got a scene of Lan Di interrogating someone about Zhu's whereabouts. This makes me wonder if we will get a scene with Niao Sun or whoever ordered Yanglang to infiltrate Bailu village, just as a way of setting up the tension for the events of the third game's events.

The Shenmue 2 portion of the story is quite meaty, I wonder what they will have to cut. I could definitely see the three street fighters being cut to one (most likely Chunyan) or with a heavy focus on the fight with her and a quick shot of Ryo thrashing Greg and Rod.

I'm also really interested to see how the anime handles the shenanigans in the stone pit. Floating sword or naw? Episode 1 seems to imply the latter.

I like how we got a scene of Lan Di interrogating someone about Zhu's whereabouts. This makes me wonder if we will get a scene with Niao Sun or whoever ordered Yanglang to infiltrate Bailu village, just as a way of setting up the tension for the events of the third game's events.
I thought The Blue Spiders worked within Lan Di's division. They appear to be rivals with the Red snakes.

Blue Spiders = Blue Dragon
Red Snakes = Red Phoenix

I guess their names were chosen to signify their ranks in the pecking order.

I thought The Blue Spiders worked within Lan Di's division. They appear to be rivals with the Red snakes.

Blue Spiders = Blue Dragon
Red Snakes = Red Phoenix

I guess their names were chosen to signify their ranks in the pecking order.
I never made this connection before - interesting!! It's certainly a plausible theory.

Wait are people really thinking Zhu is Tentei or at the very least more than he seems? There was a theory on the old dojo yeeeears ago about this. It was legendary in my book. Guy basically outlined why he didn’t trust Zhu to not be a major villain. I think I have it bookmarked somewhere.

Wait are people really thinking Zhu is Tentei or at the very least more than he seems? There was a theory on the old dojo yeeeears ago about this. It was legendary in my book. Guy basically outlined why he didn’t trust Zhu to not be a major villain. I think I have it bookmarked somewhere.
On one of the Legend of Akira art, there's a bald guy looming in the sky who may be the big bad, Tentei, but Tentei being Zhu makes more dramatic sense than a new character imo. It may fill in a lot of gaps if Zhu is the true villian, like why the letter arrived late (deliberete) why he told Chen about the mirrors awakening Chi You (he worships the entity of war) why does Lan Di fly away on the helicopter when he sees Ryo with Zhu? (He may have started to realise what's going on when he recognised the man who calls himself Zhu) Zhang presumably then would work for a hidden Cell of the CYM, a shadow group may have told Lan Di that Iwao only has one Mirror. Imo Zhu being Tentei could reframe the whole story in an epic way.

Back