110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty much everyone but IGN and Destructoid at this point. Had 110 not fanned the flames, I wouldn’t be too surprised by that as neither site is renowned for dealing in rumors, but the “No Comment” and the numerous likes have effectively pushed this from rumor to straight up tease.
Even if they don't want to clear up the rumour or admit to working on a project with yu there is still an opportunity to verify the first initial comment on Instagram "guess why he was at our stream." There are ways to word a response to avoid a potential surprise but the lack of a retort and going along with the articles is like you said fanning the flames and is only keeping the speculation and theory train rolling. Whether this is intentional on their part and is the start of a possible a slow build up. No idea what their thinking pattern is here.

Even if they don't want to clear up the rumour or admit to working on a project with yu there is still an opportunity to verify the first initial comment on Instagram "guess why he was at our stream." There are ways to word a response to avoid a potential surprise but the lack of a retort and going along with the articles is like you said fanning the flames and is only keeping the speculation and theory train rolling. Whether this is intentional on their part and is the start of a possible a slow build up. No idea what their thinking pattern is here.
You’re right to a certain degree, but their intitial comment could have easily been passed off as their social media manager having some fun with a Shenmue fan if needed. At this point I don’t think that there can be any doubt that what they’re doing is intentional, we just don’t know for certain what their true intentions are.

You’re right to a certain degree, but their intitial comment could have easily been passed off as their social media manager having some fun with a Shenmue fan if needed. At this point I don’t think that there can be any doubt that what they’re doing is intentional, we just don’t know for certain what their true intentions are.
I guess it's mainly down to keeping the ears open and eyes sharp on this situation. Either way I'm intrigued by these developments and it absolutely has my attention and interest. If something else happens in the next few weeks/months whether during the final episodes of the anime or shortly after them we can definitely say for sure something is on the horizon by a possible collaboration.

Me right now (sorry! ok ok I'll close the door)
b59f353798e82f37f3e1f556373ac257.jpg

It's a strange scenario. On the one hand, this is great news if this publisher is really wanting to make Shenmue IV a reality.

They seem to have a good knowledge of various things that would translate well into that, based on the comments by @Spaghetti on the CEO.

I feel like they would take care of the series when compared to Deep Silver. I was initially grateful for their support, but it was clear later on they did more harm than good in a lot of ways(rushing trailers, poor decisions like with Epic, etc.)

They cashed in hoping to make a quick buck, but it wasn't the super shiny mint they anticipated(and it was foolish to ever think it would be) and a lot of the reason for that was their own doing, imo.

A new publisher that understands his vision would go over well. In addition, he wouldn't have to be using a big chunk of funds to cover staffing, engine, etc. They did that with the Kickstarter.

We know that a preliminary version of Shenmue IV *was* being shopped around and "looked quite good"(I believe that was confirmed by someone here). Maybe 110 Industries is where the buck stopped.

They cashed in hoping to make a quick buck, but it wasn't the super shiny mint they anticipated(and it was foolish to ever think it would be) and a lot of the reason for that was their own doing, imo.
Yeah, this is my feeling on the whole deep silver thing. Clearly money was spent but it was chucking good money at bad promotion. Money is only as good as what it is used for at the end of the day, no matter how much is on the table.

I feel like they would take care of the series when compared to Deep Silver. I was initially grateful for their support, but it was clear later on they did more harm than good in a lot of ways(rushing trailers, poor decisions like with Epic, etc.)

Deep Silver made a lot of mistakes and poor decisions, but the Epic Deal wasn’t one of them. From a business point of view it made perfect sense and allowed them to walk away from the project with a small profit rather than losing millions of dollars. They would have been fools to turn it down.

It was something to do with something Cedric said, but then some "insider"/leaker said that from what they had heard, we were over egging what Cedric had said.

I’m not sure what leaker you’re referring to, but, having spoken with somebody to whom Yu presented it to, I can say with some certainty that a Shenmue 4 pitch existed.
I don't remember the details to be honest, but I think it might have been in relation to the nature of the "pitch". I mean, a "pitch" could be as simple as Yu saying "hey, I have this idea for Shenmue 4, are you interested?", whilst it seemed to be implied that there was some kind of demonstration of the game in existence.

I really could be remembering this wrong though, so sorry if I am.

Edit: Just listened to the Cedric interview again and he says they have a "video of Shenmue 4", so I guess it depends on what that means.

I don't remember the details to be honest, but I think it might have been in relation to the nature of the "pitch". I mean, a "pitch" could be as simple as Yu saying "hey, I have this idea for Shenmue 4, are you interested?", whilst it seemed to be implied that there was some kind of demonstration of the game in existence.

I really could be remembering this wrong though, so sorry if I am.
I don’t want to go into too much detail (not that I have all of the details anyway, mind), but from what I gather it was all quite formal with test gameplay footage and a budget requested. I will say that the person I spoke with didn’t seem all that enthused by what they saw (iirc, they said something to the extent of “It was fine but it was basically just more Shenmue” when I asked if it was any good).

I don’t want to go into too much detail (not that I have all of the details anyway, mind), but from what I gather it was all quite formal with test gameplay footage and a budget requested. I will say that the person I spoke with didn’t seem all that enthused by what they saw (iirc, they said something to the extent of “It was fine but it was basically just more Shenmue” when I asked if it was any good).
Interesting, thanks for that information.

Something is definitely brewing behind closed doors...whatever it is though remains to be seen. Why 110industries decided to retort in the way they did to that one fan who had made it clear what they wanted is suspicious in itself. Why they didn't dismiss/debunk the rumour when it was fresh from gamerant first instead just put "no comment " is another mystery but to like every article, comment and all that followed up from them is another mystery. When people talk about yu suzuki today the project people know him most for is shenmue though his catalogue runs deepers than just the one franchise. Ys net studios is one of the independent studios that has not been given a "new home" and remains untouched (that we know of) maybe they brought him on for a fresh project or maybe his an advisory/consultant role...who knows? But I just can't shake the feeling of this leading to what we all believe it to be.

Interesting, thanks for that information.
Emm.It looks like that Yu-san still want to make a Shenmue type game.
It sounds like that he has lots of budget, Shenmue type game need details.

I mean if they're building on what they already have, I guess it would be applicable to say "more of the same" right?.

My hope going forward? Improve some of the character models a tad, maybe try to implement less stiff animations and flesh out the fighting system some more (I see potential with it, it just needs more work).

But one would have to imagine they'll keep building on top of what they already have and hopefully they'll keep improving as they learn more of the engine.

My only other thought? Hire some of the Anime guys to help out with the story telling. Because the anime guys are doing a bang up job retelling the first two games and I want more of that for a future Shenmue game.

Do those and I will be very happy with it.

If this becomes a reality, could it be that Shenmue potentially has something of an even number odditiy? As in every even numbered game is better than the last? Arguably Shenmue II was better than the first (entirely subjective, yes. But I think SII is the better game)...could it be the same going forward for a potential S4 being better than S3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back