110 Industries have been teasing Shenmue IV a lot lately

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last one I'll add here. Again instead of dismissing or debunking the rumourwhile it's hot they're liking the articles.🤔😉Screenshot_20220413-095910.pngScreenshot_20220413-095919.png

I still wonder what about a reboot with Yu-san overseeing it as opposed to directing it?

But I still just want Shenmue IV. I really just want the series to continue. But still, I do wonder what if to a reboot directed by new blood with Yu-san consulting and overlooking it.
In a crazy world, I always thought about some sort of reboot of sorts. Like the entire saga in one game. A chapter style setup, where you can go back and replay any given portion of the story, as well as a fast travel between all locations. Even if the story is wrapped up in, say, Dobuita, you can still jump back to visit the arcade, pick up any collectibles you missed, train up your fight stats etc. Will never happen probably, but it would eliminate all of the stop-starts the franchise has had.

I am really excited to play as many Shenmue as possible, but I think you can go with one final huge game instead of several smaller.

This is where I'm at : I would rather Shenmue IV be a large, well made game with much story progression like Shenmue II that wraps things up satisfyingly.
If Yu swings for the fences and nails it , the series will end on a high note and we will all be very happy knowing that we don't have more years of worry and uncertainty.
The anime can live in harmony with the game and flesh out what they feel is needed.
I would really like to see a version of Shenmue III's story without budget restrictions and a second season of the anime could do just that.

I cannot think Shenmue without YS, not in a fanatical way, it's just that only YS "style of thinking" can make something like Shenmue. A guy that doesn't play videogames, follows his (often crazy) ideas to the end. I don't mind a producer sternly pushing him forward, but with anyone else in charge I can easily imagine Shenmue as an ubisoft open world game, a yakuza clone or a telltale game, it wouldn't be the same.

I do have concerns about the future, I think YS said something like making Shenmue more like one japanese movie franchise that is pretty much always going on (reminds me of the original idea of Twin Peaks being basically a never ending soap opera, or detective conan where most of the episodes would be considered "filler"). Which kinda makes me wonder how much does YS actually believe in the original script of Shenmue, and S3 felt to me more like an excuse to do virtual tourism than an overarching story.

Part of me wonders if I'd prefer a new franchise from scratch with the shenmue gameplay/feel (still set up in a realistic contemporary world), or a rushed finish to Shenmue. I'd still take a rushed Shenmue, in a way to just pass the page and move on.

I swear I will hit everyone at 110 studios with a stone cold stunner if they are on some bullshit.

I might even hit Yu with an RKO just because of it.

vegeta-unimpressed.gif

This is where I'm at : I would rather Shenmue IV be a large, well made game with much story progression like Shenmue II that wraps things up satisfyingly.
If Yu swings for the fences and nails it , the series will end on a high note and we will all be very happy knowing that we don't have more years of worry and uncertainty.
The anime can live in harmony with the game and flesh out what they feel is needed.
I would really like to see a version of Shenmue III's story without budget restrictions and a second season of the anime could do just that.
Whilst I can totally see where people are coming from with this line of thinking, I can’t help but feel that it would be the equivalent of giving up. Sure, it would be nice not to have to deal with the uncertainty anymore, but a strong Shenmue 4 could have the exact same effect without Yu needing to make compromises on the story.

The way I see it, one big Shenmue 4 is a much bigger risk to a publisher than a smaller Shenmue 4 and a Shenmue 5 (and potentially a sixth game) if that does well. The only reason I could see a publisher agreeing to or pushing for Shenmue 4 being the final game when they know that Yu would like to make 5 or 6 is that they don’t believe that a fourth Shenmue game could or would do well enough to warrant a sequel. If that’s the case, why would they even bother to drop $20m+ to make it happen?

To a certain extent, I feel the same when I see fans saying that they’d like Shenmue 4 to be the last game in the series. If you don’t believe that Shenmue 4 will be good enough to warrant a sequel, then why do you even care? It’s not like you’d be getting a real conclusion to Yu’s original story anyway, but instead a heavily truncated version that’s full of compromises and held back by its budget (which would no doubt be spread pretty thinly) and breakneck pace.

What if they dont announce Shenmue 4 in three weeks when the anime is ending,
now that they liked these tweets? Arent they driving themselves in a dead end?
And i dont mean this in some kind of 'oh they are done, its a scam, rip' way,
just that theres no need to do this specific Twitter stuff except if there is some truth behind it.
So i guess we should except something in three weeks, or no?

To a certain extent, I feel the same when I see fans saying that they’d like Shenmue 4 to be the last game in the series. If you don’t believe that Shenmue 4 will be good enough to warrant a sequel, then why do you even care?
I believe IV has the potential to be a good, natural conclusion, and I'd explained why several times. What is it with the shitty fallacies against people who prefer to see the series end with IV? I care just as much about the series as you.

What if they dont announce Shenmue 4 in three weeks when the anime is ending,
now that they liked these tweets? Arent they driving themselves in a dead end?
And i dont mean this in some kind of 'oh they are done, its a scam, rip' way,
just that theres no need to do this specific Twitter stuff except if there is some truth behind it.
So i guess we should except something in three weeks, or no?
To be fair, I think people are putting too much stock in them liking tweets and messages or whatever. They're liking everything and anything to do with Shenmue, it doesn't mean they are confirming every statement.

That said, that coupled with responses they have actually written does indicate that they seemingly are involved with Yu and are possibly on board as a publisher (or are in the process of signing deals). What is actually happening, we don't know, so if it leads to nothing and they're just teasing for the sake of teasing I will be disappointed. I don't think we should necessarily be expecting anything the very second the anime finishes though.

I don't think should expect anything in 3 weeks to be honest. Yes, ideally they would announce something near the ending of the Anime while the series has a lot of eyes on it, but I wouldn't say it's a dead end if they don't.

We know from Shenmue III, that announcing/showing stuff early can be a very bad idea (granted that was a Kickstarter, so it's a bit different and they kind of had to bring us along for the development ride), looking at you Gamescom trailer. And I think that Yu would know this first hand, better than anyone. We know that Cedric said in his Dojo Interview, that he really didn't want to show that Trailer, but Deep Silver went and did it any way.

Yes, if 110 Industries are actually bank rolling Yu for a project (which from the social media interaction, it looks like Yu is at least working with them on something), they would want to get as much exposure for their company (and in turn, Yu's Project), as they can, but the end of the anime isn't the be all end all. From a Story perspective, the Anime ends with Shenmue 2. It would make more sense to wait for an announcement of Shenmue the Animation Season 2, and to tie that in with a Shenmue IV announcement, as new players could watch both seasons and lead right into Shenmue IV.

From a company perspective, they work with a lot of Japanese creators, and had their first big presentation at TGS, so one would assume they would announce at this years TGS, or at least another gaming convention, so maybe Gamescom or Summer Game Fest, as there is no E3 this year.

I do think something is happening behind the scenes, and I believe they do have a deal with Yu for something, but I think it's best for us to be patient instead of casting ultimatums about when it needs to be announced. We will learn more when Yu is ready to tell us, and when 110 Industries (if this whole thing is true), decides to :p

I don't think should expect anything in 3 weeks to be honest. Yes, ideally they would announce something near the ending of the Anime while the series has a lot of eyes on it, but I wouldn't say it's a dead end if they don't.

We know from Shenmue III, that announcing/showing stuff early can be a very bad idea (granted that was a Kickstarter, so it's a bit different and they kind of had to bring us along for the development ride), looking at you Gamescom trailer. And I think that Yu would know this first hand, better than anyone. We know that Cedric said in his Dojo Interview, that he really didn't want to show that Trailer, but Deep Silver went and did it any way.

Yes, if 110 Industries are actually bank rolling Yu for a project (which from the social media interaction, it looks like Yu is at least working with them on something), they would want to get as much exposure for their company (and in turn, Yu's Project), as they can, but the end of the anime isn't the be all end all. From a Story perspective, the Anime ends with Shenmue 2. It would make more sense to wait for an announcement of Shenmue the Animation Season 2, and to tie that in with a Shenmue IV announcement, as new players could watch both seasons and lead right into Shenmue IV.

From a company perspective, they work with a lot of Japanese creators, and had their first big presentation at TGS, so one would assume they would announce at this years TGS, or at least another gaming convention, so maybe Gamescom or Summer Game Fest, as there is no E3 this year.

I do think something is happening behind the scenes, and I believe they do have a deal with Yu for something, but I think it's best for us to be patient instead of casting ultimatums about when it needs to be announced. We will learn more when Yu is ready to tell us, and when 110 Industries (if this whole thing is true), decides to :p
Exactly. Presuming hypothetically that Shenmue 4 is a done deal and 110 are on board as the publisher, then we have to remember that this isn't Kickstarter. Unless they went the route of Elder Scrolls, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 etc and announcing it with a very simple trailer when development has barely even begun, they will most likely reveal a trailer and an announcement when the game is nearing completion. I don't know if we will be at that point yet, but I don't think we would be.

I'd love a Shenmue 0 going into how the mirrors came to be in Iwao's possession.
Wasn't Shenmue at early stages (can't remember if in existing in playable form beta) set in the 50s? That decade was when young (and hot) Iwao Hazuki was messing with youth elixirs, white leafs and cursed mirrors.

People, I can't answer all the interesting point of views here... you're being too passionate, enthusiast and giving so many neat reflections its impossible for me to follow-up

EDIT: Please, make the series end with an after-credits "IT's GAME OVER, YEAHH!!"

I believe IV has the potential to be a good, natural conclusion, and I'd explained why several times. What is it with the shitty fallacies against people who prefer to see the series end with IV? I care just as much about the series as you.
Nobody said that you didn’t care. I’m not sure why you’re getting so worked up about people having different opinions than yours.

I am genuinely curious, how exactly do you think that cutting 40%+ out of a story to get to the ending faster could ever be considered natural? The idea that the cliff temple could somehow serve as a logical end point doesn’t make much sense either, as the cliff temple is where the mirrors were originally kept, not where the treasure that they lead to is hidden.

I’d rather we never got an ending than get another game with a weak story that’s had large chunks of its narrative stripped away for budgetary reasons. If that’s the only option, Yu may as well just give up now and start from scratch with a new IP. Lord knows it would be a lot easier.

Somebody needs to bait 110 saying “110 should make a Nights sequel” or something unrelated to Shenmue. My heart wants to believe they’re all hinting they’re working on Shenmue but my head is telling me they’re just capitalizing on people’s attention and being really interactive on Twitter like KFC, Wendy’s or MoonPie. The latter will come back to bite them if true though.

Because we're all very excited about this, sometimes misunderstanging arises, even more in this cold faceless media.
Dont fight between us, dojo partners, we must remember the wude and focus in our enemy: Lan Di and the Chi You Men.
This is a very healthy community. Peace.

Somebody needs to bait 110 saying “110 should make a Nights sequel” or something unrelated to Shenmue. My heart wants to believe they’re all hinting they’re working on Shenmue but my head is telling me they’re just capitalizing on people’s attention and being really interactive on Twitter like KFC, Wendy’s or MoonPie. The latter will come back to bite them if true though.
Thats a twisted, malefic, evil and mean move... so clever, I love it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back