General RGG Discussion

Day 1 I am in. Huge Yakuza fan (working my way through the games for the first time ever and can't believe I waited so long!!) and this looks amazing! Very excited to learn more about the game. I have 100% faith in this studio and know already that I will love the game! They are blasting games out left right and center, and still manage to release extremely high quality products across the board.

i think the japanese demo will be available in about 6-8 hours
because there is a japanese channel on youtube with a planned Judge Eyes demo live stream
and it says it starts in 8 hours from now.

Edit: i just checked it myself again and the demo is online in the japanese PS store now. 7,4 GB.

so its pretty much like Yakuza meets LA Noire and a little bit of Hitman?

It looks a bit more similar to Shenmue with all that investigating. Interesting.

So is this a spin-off or is it happening in the Yakuza universe or are they just recycling assets? I was hopping that this new project was not going to be Kamurocho centric...

i think its kind of its own thing with new characters, different story and you are not playing on the side of a Yakuza clan.
but it will probably have the same narrative structure and the same "world" as Yakuza.
so something like a standalone singleplayer detective "add on" with the base frame of Yakuza Kiwami 2.
i'm pretty sure there will be some Yakuza easter eggs of course.

maybe they will go for two series in this franchise now? Yakuza 7 with the completely new main character on the "bad side"
and Judge Eyes games for the cop gameplay?

I saw the story trailer a little earlier and was pretty impressed and excited. The Ryu Ga Gotoku team doing... a courtroom thriller? Thank god for freshness and change!
I was thinking it might be, if anything, sort of like an Ace Attorney game, except more serious and "realistic" (in an aesthetic sense; subject matter-wise it still looked enjoyably over-the-top). Seemed like it'd be just as much a change from Yakuza as Binary Domain was.

But now I get on here and see the gameplay trailer... and it's just another Yakuza style beat-em-up. In Kamurocho. With minigames.
The fuck?
They make this big change, have you playing as a lawyer playing through a legal mystery storyline... and the gameplay is still just knocking the shit out of thugs on the street and messing around with goofy minigames?
I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll still play it, and no doubt I'll be buying it day 1. It's just, watching the story trailer, I was really expecting something entirely fresh and different and inventive... and now I find it's really not.
Like, at all.

@Mr. OL This is exactly what I was thinking. I hadn't seen gameplay before entering this thread and wondered if it would be something more detective oriented with less action. Maybe something like the detective story they had as a sidequest in the Yakuza series before. The city did feel like Kamurocho though (or some other city in the series) so I started wondering if it might take place in the same game world where you would meet known characters. I'm a bit surprised actually that they decided to follow this approach. This made me think of when LA Noire was released. Rockstar Games was asked why it didn't have a lot of shooting etc. like GTA. But they said that they prefer to give series a different feeling or at least try to.

I've never played the Yakuza series thanks to the 'Go play Yakuza instead of Shenmue!" brigade which just put me off.
I also thought that for a little while when the first game was announced. But I was too curious so I ignored that quickly and played the first Yakuza when it was released on PS2. It's great that more people are discovering the series now though.

Those trailing missions look a little too Assassin's Creed-y for me, but it looked good otherwise.

i played the japanese demo (you can download it without any problems with a japanese PSN account).
you can play pretty much the mission that you see in the trailer. its the same Yakuza 6 / Kiwami 2 engine.
it seems like you are some kind of private detective.
the game is set in december 2018 kamurocho.

the mission starts with a fight between the main character and some thugs who think that you are a homeless guy
but its only a disguise. the fighting mechanics are 1:1 Yakuza.
square is a light attack, triangle a heavy attack,
circle is grab or throw and you can do combinations. this new main character is really really quick.

i would say he is probably three times as quick as Kiryu and the animations are way more complex.
you can do stuff mid air, you can jump over enemies, roundhouse kicks, flying kicks ...
the attacks are more responsible i guess. everything feels more seemingless.
so there are no small stops like if you are playing with Kiryu, its more smooth without interruption.
almost like you are playing a new Tekken or Dead or Alive game. you can change between two different fighting styles i think
but i didnt really understand it because the different fighting style was only for one fight
and of course all descriptions are in japanese.

after the fight you have to walk to a specific spot and there you have to identify the target.
(like you saw in the trailer - you have a photo on your screen and you just have to look around you where the target is).
next thing is you have to follow the target. you know this system from other games.
keep your distance but not too far away and you can press circle at a lot of spots to hide or blend in.

after that you are listening to a conversation and then the main character will confront the target.
now the chase scene begins. the character is running automatically. you can slightly change the direction with the stick,
everything else like jumping, dodging and so on is a quicktime event.
you also have to look where the target is running, otherwise you will lose it.

it ends in a dead end where you have the final fight. again, its typical Yakuza but with a different fighting style.
like a mixture between Akiyama and Majima i guess. then the demo ends.

you can already see on the map that there are all of the typical shops, bars and so on
but its all locked for the demo.

so yeah, pretty much like a story "add on" in the world of Yakuza with new features.

JUDGE EYES:死神の遺言 先行体験版_20180910184551.jpgJUDGE EYES:死神の遺言 先行体験版_20180910185031.jpgJUDGE EYES:死神の遺言 先行体験版_20180910185401.jpg

Looks really good. I'll be getting this for sure.

@ys. I definitely feel more tempted to try it out. Might pick up Kiwami 1 later on.

It looks great , but then so did LA Noir and look how that turned out ...

I like games set in Japan but wont be playing this if it stays a PS4 exclusive

It definitely looks interesting. It may be a needed depature from Yakuza with out departing too much from an already working formula, and with all these new players on board maybe freshing it up too much might be a mistake? Man... they are really on it lately, Yakuza 0 must have really opened some doors. Is it safe to say this is Nagoshi's next project?

Honestly, I'm not gonna lie, I'm so fucking tired of kamurucho. I like the concept but this looks like it would have worked just as well if not better as a chapter in a Yakuza game than a standalone title.

I'll still buy it though, but honestly I'm really getting tired of the kamurucho setting. It didn't really bother me until now because the changes made it feel fresh but I'm at a point where that just doesn't do anything for me anymore.

Casting Kimura in relation to the Japanese market is really a HUGE deal. So it’s going to be an instant seller there. I’m a huge fan of some of his dramas like Hero and Beautiful Life. I also enjoyed his days in SMAP as well.

As for him being a former lawyer, where did he learn those crazy fighting skills?

I'll be intrigued to see if this links into previous Yakuza stories in some way or whether it is a complete departure away from them.

Back