Many Mysteries Of Miao Village Finally Unfold

Long time no talk, LanDC! It surely is a "huge" find, the King of Shenmue!
Great job as always!

Though I don't have much time now, I have to point out one important thing.
OSY's name is 雲海 (Yunhai) actually, and 和尚 (Osho) part is his title. I'm not sure what is the right way to call Buddhist priest in English, but 雲海和尚 could be something like Master Yunhai?
Oh, and now I know why his code name is OSY; we spell 和尚 as Osyo in Romaji in Japan.

Wow, did we just step into a time warp or what? Finding pieces of Miao Village, Kiyuu and I are posting...

Thank you for the correction! I knew I'd mess something up in all my excitement. I will go back and make an alteration to my post.

Nice to see you around again.

Last edited:
Amazing work @LanDC fleshing out and giving us some concrete information about this part of the story and events.

One thing I am curious about do we think Yunda Zhu was still the author of Wulinshu when they had this detour to Miao Village or was that something they added later. I always thought him being author was a very important detail for his character.

Long time no talk, LanDC! It surely is a "huge" find, the King of Shenmue!
Great job as always!

Holy smokes. It’s like an old-school Dojo reunion. I hope you decide to stick around and post Kiyuu. Your contributions are solely missed.

Last edited:
The reason we are looking for the pharmacy is because the entrance to the mountain road leading to Miao Village is near that pharmacy.
----------
89;10803;10813;F2145A048;RYO_;A048;苗村に行きたいんですが…
90;10844;10854;F2145B042;KOO_;B042;苗村?失礼ですが、観光でございますか?
91;10902;10912;F2145A049;RYO_;A049;いえ、人を探してて…
92;10939;10949;F2145B043;KOO_;B043;ああ、なるほど。
93;10974;10984;F2145B044;KOO_;B044;お客様、紅南街のはずれに山道があるのはご存知ですか?
94;11046;11056;F2145A050;RYO_;A050;山道?いえ、よくは。
95;11083;11093;F2145B045;KOO_;B045;明京薬舗って薬屋の近くなんですが、その山道を行けば苗村です。
96;11163;11173;F2145A051;RYO_;A051;明京薬舗…わかりました。
----------

This is really cool, it reminds me of when the thing about the "Master Emerald" in Sonic 2 Beta was debunked about 20 years ago! I don't suppose anything about Tiger Gate Bldg (C-2) was found other than the basement bit with Baihu?
I was wondering this too! I assume the building itself is long gone, but is there any subtitle files/dialogue referring to it buried somewhere?

Did someone say Master Baihu? :giggle: That guy was the coolest. It was a slight shame they didn't flesh out his backstory in the anime, in the same way as they did with Joy, which enhanced her character no end.

I think LanDC and LemonHaze are talking at cross purposes and the only differences of opinion are semantic.

The reason we are looking for the pharmacy is because the entrance to the mountain road leading to Miao Village is near that pharmacy.
----------
89;10803;10813;F2145A048;RYO_;A048;苗村に行きたいんですが…
90;10844;10854;F2145B042;KOO_;B042;苗村?失礼ですが、観光でございますか?
91;10902;10912;F2145A049;RYO_;A049;いえ、人を探してて…
92;10939;10949;F2145B043;KOO_;B043;ああ、なるほど。
93;10974;10984;F2145B044;KOO_;B044;お客様、紅南街のはずれに山道があるのはご存知ですか?
94;11046;11056;F2145A050;RYO_;A050;山道?いえ、よくは。
95;11083;11093;F2145B045;KOO_;B045;明京薬舗って薬屋の近くなんですが、その山道を行けば苗村です。
96;11163;11173;F2145A051;RYO_;A051;明京薬舗…わかりました。
----------

Ah. That settles it. Kinda figured it'd simply be because someone said the pharmacy was near. I guess once you get there, that's when the cutscene plays where the pharmacist needs Ryo to pick up something from Miao for him, and he goes on the bike.

Also, you can speak for yourself, but considering I pretty much organised the acquiring and analysis of the beta, I’d personally say that not everything has been exhausted yet.. and that I may or may not have leads for other things.

Cool. I really hope you do. Anything new regarding Miao is gold.

Also, well aware you acquired it and all, and thank you for that. It's like I told you, you'd have been the first one I contacted if I had won the auction.

Anyway, I'll decline to flood the topic anymore with this.

@LanDC are you planning on investigating the beta further? Or are you drawing the line at Miao Village?

Certainly, if I get the chance as Yu would say. :p I've been in the middle of moving, so it was amazing I had enough time to do what I did. But I've salivated over the thought of a beta for so long, I had to make some time. These days there are lots of skilled people on the attack already, so I'm not devoting every second to it.

I wonder when it was canned? And why? Just a lack of space on the GD-ROM maybe? It's all very intriguing anyway.
I seem to recall certain developers saying that shenmue 2 became far, far too huge in size for its own good, so perhaps upon deciding what things to finally cut, they looked at the village and concluded that it just didn't work for it to be a seemingly peaceful and isolated place just outside a big city. Convenient reasoning there. Good but not awesome like everything else in the game.

Great work, it's amazing how mysteries are still being solved to this day. I'd imagine the yellow heads killed Luo but I'd like to know if he just got jumped by a bunch of them or if one member like Do Niu or Yuan did it.

Most likely Yellow Heads. Yellow Heads are messing with Zhengye (the kid) even on the final version. Something tells me that scene in White Dynasty would have happened while you were searching for Zhengye, with an added discussion afterwards about his dad. Also, the intruders/killers were after the Wulinshu. Yellow Heads are after Zhu so it lines up.

Last edited:
I seem to recall certain developers saying that shenmue 2 became far, far too huge in size for its own good, so perhaps upon deciding what things to finally cut, they looked at the village and concluded that it just didn't work for it to be a seemingly peaceful and isolated place just outside a big city. Convenient reasoning there. Good but not awesome like everything else in the game.

Kenji Miyawaki has stated that it was cut due to not fitting the flow of the story. Imagine at the point of searching for the Wulinshu, having to go to a rural village somehow near the city and doing all that work for it. I can see why it was cut. Especially since the village more than likely became the blueprint for Bailu anyway, so it wouldn't entirely be a waste.

Amazing find, @LanDC ! Such an enjoyable read, feels like having an itch well scratched (after 20 years).

What I love the most about this is that they planned to include a village to HK. HK island and New Territories have plenty of villages! Some quite far off others literally in walkable distance. The tension between village life and city life would be very well illustrated by having a village martial artist having been killed by Yellow Heads. Also having other village martial artists and farmers working in different ways in Hong Kong and Kowloon. Insane detail, again, having the trifecta of HK the bustling city, Kowloon the walled no go zone, and the village quiet life. It’s so authentic.

That said I also agree with @ShenSun , the impact of seeing Guilin the first time would have felt different having explored a village like this first. Not sure if for the worse, but definitely different.

Thanks again, LanDC, cracking work! Great seeing familiar faces here, Shenmue theories brining all the boys and gals to the yard.

Back