Many Mysteries Of Miao Village Finally Unfold

This is amazing! I never would have guessed there could be multiple volumes of the Wulinshu.

Xiaoqin was probably trying to ride an adult bicycle.
----------
MII_STDL うわーん!
RYO_STDL 大丈夫か!?
RYO_STDL まだ小さいから無理だよ。

HKJ_STDL なんと心のおやさしい…
HKJ_STDL おそれいります。
RYO_STDL いえ…
HKJ_STDL お若い方…
HKJ_STDL ひとつ頼みがあるんじゃが。
RYO_STDL 頼みというと…
HKJ_STDL 苗村の宗ばあさんに薬を届けてくださらぬか。
RYO_STDL 苗村?
HKJ_STDL 苗族の小さな村です。
RYO_STDL その村を探してたんです!
HKJ_STDL この子に案内させましょう。
RYO_STDL わかりました!ぜひ、やらせてください!
HKJ_STDL ありがとうございます。
HKJ_STDL わしはこの通りでこの子がかわりに薬を届けると…
HKJ_STDL なにぶん孫と2人暮らしで、困っていたところでした。
RYO_STDL わかりました。
HKJ_STDL いまどき珍しい心のやさしいお方じゃ…
HKJ_STDL 山あいの小さな村です。
RYO_STDL ちょうど俺も、苗村に用があるので…

Bicycle Events
MII_STDL いってきまーす!
RYO_STDL ふっ…
MII_STDL おにいちゃん、みゃおそんだよ!
RYO_STDL おばあさんの家はどこだい?
MII_STDL うーんとね…
MII_STDL あ、あそこ!煙の出てるとこ!

MII_STDL 着いた! 着いた!
RYO_STDL おじゃまします。
MII_STDL おばあちゃん!
TKY_STDL シャオキンじゃないか。
MII_STDL …おばあちゃん!
RYO_STDL 薬を届けに来ました。
TKY_STDL それはそれはわざわざ遠いとこまで…
MII_STDL うん!おばあちゃん、お花!
TKY_STDL ありがとう、シャオキン…
MII_STDL おじいちゃんがケガしちゃったの…
TKY_STDL そうかい。大変だったねえ…
MII_STDL うん!
MII_STDL だからシャオちゃん、おてつだいしてるんだ。
TKY_STDL おや、シャオキンはエライねえ。じゃあ、お菓子あげよう。
MII_STDL わーい!
MII_STDL ありがとう!
RYO_STDL それじゃ、俺はこれで…
MII_STDL ありがとう、お兄ちゃん!
TKY_STDL ありがとうございました。
----------

Thank you for the translations and add ons @Switch ! Really interesting stuff. Ethnic village … still haven’t found anything on the Miao specifically, but the Hakka has settled in villages in Hong Kong during various times, like during the Qing. Like this one, also with a Kung Fu history; Kung fu teacher in Hakka village

Also “The Hakka people are, genetically, the hybrid descendants of Ancient Han Chinese and local non-Han Hmong–Mien speaking ethnic groups such as the Miao people, the She people, and the Yao people.” That’s a link, sort of? Hah.

This whole topic is fab. Two volumes of the wulinshu, bicycle events … what finds!

Xiaoqin was probably trying to ride an adult bicycle.
----------
MII_STDL うわーん!
RYO_STDL 大丈夫か!?
RYO_STDL まだ小さいから無理だよ。

HKJ_STDL なんと心のおやさしい…
HKJ_STDL おそれいります。
RYO_STDL いえ…
HKJ_STDL お若い方…
HKJ_STDL ひとつ頼みがあるんじゃが。
RYO_STDL 頼みというと…
HKJ_STDL 苗村の宗ばあさんに薬を届けてくださらぬか。
RYO_STDL 苗村?
HKJ_STDL 苗族の小さな村です。
RYO_STDL その村を探してたんです!
HKJ_STDL この子に案内させましょう。
RYO_STDL わかりました!ぜひ、やらせてください!
HKJ_STDL ありがとうございます。
HKJ_STDL わしはこの通りでこの子がかわりに薬を届けると…
HKJ_STDL なにぶん孫と2人暮らしで、困っていたところでした。
RYO_STDL わかりました。
HKJ_STDL いまどき珍しい心のやさしいお方じゃ…
HKJ_STDL 山あいの小さな村です。
RYO_STDL ちょうど俺も、苗村に用があるので…

Bicycle Events
MII_STDL いってきまーす!
RYO_STDL ふっ…
MII_STDL おにいちゃん、みゃおそんだよ!
RYO_STDL おばあさんの家はどこだい?
MII_STDL うーんとね…
MII_STDL あ、あそこ!煙の出てるとこ!

MII_STDL 着いた! 着いた!
RYO_STDL おじゃまします。
MII_STDL おばあちゃん!
TKY_STDL シャオキンじゃないか。
MII_STDL …おばあちゃん!
RYO_STDL 薬を届けに来ました。
TKY_STDL それはそれはわざわざ遠いとこまで…
MII_STDL うん!おばあちゃん、お花!
TKY_STDL ありがとう、シャオキン…
MII_STDL おじいちゃんがケガしちゃったの…
TKY_STDL そうかい。大変だったねえ…
MII_STDL うん!
MII_STDL だからシャオちゃん、おてつだいしてるんだ。
TKY_STDL おや、シャオキンはエライねえ。じゃあ、お菓子あげよう。
MII_STDL わーい!
MII_STDL ありがとう!
RYO_STDL それじゃ、俺はこれで…
MII_STDL ありがとう、お兄ちゃん!
TKY_STDL ありがとうございました。
----------
Thank you, it is so great to have these now! I agree that the first few lines seem to be XIaoqin attempting to go to the village by herself.

I've added English translations below. Note: "Grandmother" in this case indicates an elderly villager, not related to Xiaoqin).

-- Ryo comforting Xiaoqin after she falls from her grandfather's bicycle --

Xiaoqin: うわーん!/ Boo hoo!
Ryo: 大丈夫か!? / Are you okay?!
Ryo: まだ小さいから無理だよ。 / You'll have to wait until you're older.

-- Delivery Quest --

Grandfather: なんと心のおやさしい… / How kind-hearted you are.
Grandfather: おそれいります。 / Thank you for that.
Ryo: いえ… / Not at all.
Grandfather: お若い方… / Young man...
Grandfather: ひとつ頼みがあるんじゃが。 / I have a favor to ask.
Ryo: 頼みというと… / What kind of favor?
Grandfather: 苗村の宗ばあさんに薬を届けてくださらぬか。 / Could you please deliver some medicine to Grandmother Zong in Miao Village?
Ryo: 苗村? / Miao Village?
Grandfather: 苗族の小さな村です。 / It's a small village of the Miao people.
Ryo: その村を探してたんです! / I have been looking for that village!
Grandfather: この子に案内させましょう。 / My granddaughter can guide you.
Ryo: わかりました!ぜひ、やらせてください! / Sure! Please allow me do it!
Grandfather: ありがとうございます。 / Thank you very much.
Grandfather: わしはこの通りでこの子がかわりに薬を届けると… / As you can see, I'm not fit to go myself, and my granddaughter can't deliver the herbs in my place...
Grandfather: なにぶん孫と2人暮らしで、困っていたところでした。 / I live together with only my niece so I was really stuck.
Ryo: わかりました。 / No problem.
Grandfather: いまどき珍しい心のやさしいお方じゃ… / What a kind-hearted man, so rare nowadays...
Grandfather: 山あいの小さな村です。 / It is a small village in the mountains.

-- Travel to Miao Villlage (cut scene?) --

Xiaoqin: いってきまーす! / Off we go!
Ryo: ふっ… / Puff...
Xiaoqin: おにいちゃん、みゃおそんだよ! / Big bro, it's Miao Village!

-- Delivering Herbs to Grandmother Zong --

Ryo: おばあさんの家はどこだい? / Where is Grandma Zong's house?
Xiaoqin: うーんとね… / Um...
Xiaoqin: あ、あそこ!煙の出てるとこ! / Oh, it's over there! Right where the smoke is!

Xiaoqin: 着いた! 着いた! / We're here! We're here!
Ryo: おじゃまします。 / I'm sorry to bother you.
Xiaoqin: おばあちゃん! / Granny!
Grandmother Zong: シャオキンじゃないか。 / Is that you, Xiaoqin?
Xiaoqin: …おばあちゃん! / ...Granny!
Ryo: 薬を届けに来ました。/ We're here with your medicine.
Grandmother Zong: それはそれはわざわざ遠いとこまで… / What a long way to have come...
Xiaoqin: うん!おばあちゃん、お花! / Yeah! Flowers for you, Granny!
Grandmother Zong: ありがとう、シャオキン… / Thank you, Xiaoqin...
Xiaoqin: おじいちゃんがケガしちゃったの… / My grandpa got hurt.
Grandmother Zong: そうかい。大変だったねえ… / I see. That must have been tough...
Xiaoqin: うん! / It was!
Xiaoqin: だからシャオちゃん、おてつだいしてるんだ。 / That's why I'm helping out.
Grandmother Zong: おや、シャオキンはエライねえ。じゃあ、お菓子あげよう。 / Oh, you're such a good girl. Here are some sweets for you.
Xiaoqin: わーい! / Yay!
Xiaoqin: ありがとう! / Thanks!
Ryo: それじゃ、俺はこれで… / Well, I'd better be going...
Xiaoqin: ありがとう、お兄ちゃん! / Thank you, big bro!
Grandmother Zong: ありがとうございました。 / Thank you very much.

Last edited:
----------
70;9167;9177;F2153A037;RYO_;A037;武林書って本、知らないかな?
71;9212;9222;F2153B037;SIZ_;B037;武林書?ああ、あの難しそうな本?
72;9263;9273;F2153A038;RYO_;A038;知ってるのか?
73;9294;9304;F2153B038;SIZ_;B038;書庫にあるよ。この間の大掃除のときに見かけたんだ。
74;9364;9374;F2153A039;RYO_;A039;書庫に…
75;9389;9399;F2153A040;RYO_;A040;武林書ってどんな本なんだ?
76;9432;9442;F2153B039;SIZ_;B039;んーとね、赤茶けた古い本でさ。
77;9481;9491;F2153B040;SIZ_;B040;中に武術の絵とか説明がいっぱいあるんだよ。
78;9543;9553;F2153B041;SIZ_;B041;俺、本読むの嫌いだしさ、一発で頭痛くなっちゃったよ。
----------
SIZ_=Shiquan Fu
赤茶けた古い本=Reddish brown old book
This conversation indicates that he was aware of the existence of the 2nd volume of the Wulinshu.
While the one in the Man Mo Temple is a green Wulinshu...

This has been a great read. Along with a the other differences from the final version of the game. I'm sure this will make everyone hungry for even more hidden clues and content and hopefully other beta or even alpha builds out there.

Wow, nice work everybody! :eek: Blanks have been filled in.

So the red Wulinshu wasn't just a beta version, but there were two volumes... Ryo hears about the second from Zhang and that's why he goes to Miao Village looking for Kongzheng. And medicines were delivered to Xiaoqin's grandmother in Miao Village.

Awesome. Just awesome.

Last edited:
Zhang's lines about Zhu realizing the Chiyoumen were strongly interested in a particular martial art (Tiger Swallow?) and how Wulinshu vol. 2 contains their secrets about the mirrors made me think of more unused data. Let's take a whirl in the ol' time machine, shall we? Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

"Why did Zhu spend so much time researching this style?" Well Ryo, Zhang had your answer in an alternate reality.

If Lan Di is a practitioner and we believe master of Tiger Swallow style why would the Chiyoumen be interested in this style? (Unless we think rouge elements of the organization, say Niao Sun are looking to understand or probe for weakness. But that doesn't line up in this context?)

Also re-reading that thread it reminded me of @Kiyuu post about the mysterious scroll. I was unaware we had some info the move was Bajiquan. Interesting given events of Shenmue 3 and us eventually heading to Meng Cun you would suspect.

According to one Japanese guidebook, the move described in the Mysterious Scroll is
"Mouko-kouhazan" in Japanese, a move of Bajiquan. You can see Akira demonstrate it here.
It's the first move of the combination.
http://www.sega-am2.co.jp/vf4evo/conten ... /mov1.html

Apparently, it's not the move Lan Di used to kill Iwao, as Lan Di used both palms at that time.
It's quite possible that's a Bajiquan move, as Bajiquan was born in Meng Cun as you know.

(Unless we think rouge elements of the organization, say Niao Sun are looking to understand or probe for weakness.
This is exactly what went through my mind. Lan Di knows it, and someone had to have taught him from within the organization. Unless it's someone within (Niao Sun) who's looking to get rid of him, what would be the point?

Unless the reason they seek the Wulinshu is just due to the mirror secrets inside, which they wouldn't want floating around. But why bring up the style? Unless he's trying to say that's what instigated his research into the Chiyoumen, which subsequently lead to him discovering the mirror secret. But shouldn't Zhu have already known about the mirrors forming a key from his time in China with Iwao and Sunming? Zhu claims he doesn't know what happened between Iwao and Sunming though, so what if he wasn't even privy to the treasure secret in the past? He might've learned through researching to understand what exactly happened to his friend Sunming himself.

I've added English translations below. Note: "Grandmother" in this case indicates an elderly villager, not related to Xiaoqin).
Thank you for giving the translation so quickly. Yes, "Grandmother" here doesn't mean her real gramma, as you say. In that case, is the translation below appropriate, you think?

Ryo: おばあさんの家はどこだい? / Where is your grandmother's house?

It shouldn't be her grandmother's house, but 宗ばあさん (Grandmother Zong)'s house, right?

Nice work, nonetheless!

Thank you for giving the translation so quickly. Yes, "Grandmother" here doesn't mean her real gramma, as you say. In that case, is the translation below appropriate, you think?

Ryo: おばあさんの家はどこだい? / Where is your grandmother's house?

It shouldn't be her grandmother's house, but 宗ばあさん (Grandmother Zong)'s house, right?

Nice work, nonetheless!
Thanks Kiyuu! You're right of course - now fixed up.

Have the feeling some pretty big lore implications are getting dug up with this stuff.

Is a second volume of the Wulinshu still technically canon but yet to be deployed in the Shenmue story as we know it? Are a splinter faction of the Chi You Men digging up info on Lan Di's style to counter it, or is Lan Di himself looking to find out more about his own style for some reason?

I've been preoccupied for a while with the question of who taught Lan Di to fight after his father died. Totally possible Sunming Zhao taught his son from an early age just like Iwao did to Ryo, but if we assume Zhao died the year Ryo was born, Lan Di would have been like 12/13 and may have had incomplete training. Is Lan Di looking for info to fill in the gaps, is there another Tiger Swallow Style master out there? How does Baihu fit into all this?

Zhang's lines about Zhu realizing the Chiyoumen were strongly interested in a particular martial art (Tiger Swallow?) and how Wulinshu vol. 2 contains their secrets about the mirrors made me think of more unused data. Let's take a whirl in the ol' time machine, shall we? Hidden Tiger Swallow Style Information

"Why did Zhu spend so much time researching this style?" Well Ryo, Zhang had your answer in an alternate reality.
And then there's this. Is Lan Di the descendant of a Chinese emperor? Links to the dynasty were formalised in Shenmue III when we learned about the origins of the mirrors and the war within the monarchy over treasure, with the emperor and empress being represented by a dragon and a phoenix. It also mirrors the war within the Chi You Men between Lan Di and Niao Sun...

Unless the reason they seek the Wulinshu is just due to the mirror secrets inside, which they wouldn't want floating around. But why bring up the style? Unless he's trying to say that's what instigated his research into the Chiyoumen, which subsequently lead to him discovering the mirror secret. But shouldn't Zhu have already known about the mirrors forming a key from his time in China with Iwao and Sunming? Zhu claims he doesn't know what happened between Iwao and Sunming though, so what if he wasn't even privy to the treasure secret in the past? He might've learned through researching to understand what exactly happened to his friend Sunming himself.

Great post and that makes sense. My memory is foggy but can you remind me where it's indicated Zhu spent time with Iwao and Sunming in China? I know in Shenmue 2 he claims Sunming was his best friend but I couldn't recall of any other information which puts him in China with those two.

I've been preoccupied for a while with the question of who taught Lan Di to fight after his father died. Totally possible Sunming Zhao taught his son from an early age just like Iwao did to Ryo, but if we assume Zhao died the year Ryo was born, Lan Di would have been like 12/13 and may have had incomplete training. Is Lan Di looking for info to fill in the gaps, is there another Tiger Swallow Style master out there? How does Baihu fit into all this?

And then there's this. Is Lan Di the descendant of a Chinese emperor? Links to the dynasty were formalised in Shenmue III when we learned about the origins of the mirrors and the war within the monarchy over treasure, with the emperor and empress being represented by a dragon and a phoenix. It also mirrors the war within the Chi You Men between Lan Di and Niao Sun...

It's funny since the revelation of two volumes of Wulinshu the same idea popped into my head of who trained Lan Di after he became an orphan. Tenti possibility?

Do we have a timeline of possible dates when Zhao died and how old Lan Di would have been? To your final point I always thought it was a telling line uttered from Elder Yeh's mouth when discovering the scroll "So if the dragon represents the emperor and the phoenix represents the empress" which could neatly dovetail into who has which mirror by the end of Shenmue 3. I wonder if the other two Chiyoumen leaders are not cut from the story which side of the conflict do Koutei and Gentei fall under? So many questions...

Back