110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Still though... The Red Snakes are just what you get when you order the Mad Angels from Wish 😉
Red Snakes are countryside thughs, my mate, hard as coffin nails. Mad Angels are, in comparison, West Side Story meat 😘

I just thought, if we get interview with Yu-san. What questions do you suggest dojoers? I say leaving S4 out of centre, as last topic and asking for Air Twister for example. Will launch in a different platform sometime or not?

Last edited:
See.

This damaged the game

Would this be enough? Maybe not, but the image, the "brand" of Shenmue is heavily damaged now because of it, so we're only us now, no new people, we dont have the "niche outstanding underrated game" card anymore if we fan throw stones to the game.

On twitter for example there are still "fake fans" ready to trash the game everytime shenmue 3 is mentioned or someone ask about the game.
And the fans who defend it, do so in a very bland way that really doesn't help the cause.

On twitter for example there are still "fake fans" ready to trash the game everytime shenmue 3 is mentioned or someone ask about the game.
And the fans who defend it, do so in a very bland way that really doesn't help the cause.
Bland way? What do you mean?

Bland way? What do you mean?

When I read some fans answers to haters like "yeah the the game has its flaws, but it's enjoyable". It's a bland, weak defense, haters will not see (nor appreciate) an honest take, they will only see that ""lol even fans struggles to defend this mess, so we are right"".
And the cycle will continue.

When I read some fans answers to haters like "yeah the the game has its flaws, but it's enjoyable". It's a bland, weak defense, haters will not see (nor appreciate) an honest take, they will only see that ""lol even fans struggles to defend this mess, so we are right"".
And the cycle will continue.
But it has it flaws, like Shenmue 1 and 2 have. That shouldnt be a problem to say or listen. The point is not being a living hyperbole or trasher, for example "The story didn't catched me or even it failed for me" instead "its absolutely a shit, and this is objetive" (this can be read many times).
And same should apply to us the fans, sometimes the "golden legend" harms as much as the dark legend. Take Saturn Shenmue for example, with fans thinking its magic or above Dreamcast version.
That bring mocks on us too.

They probably don't mention just how exciting it is trying to track down the local thugs, only to get beaten by their boss in a cutscene, despite the player having spent a minute absolutely kicking his ass, which pushes you to reach an artifical gate that forces you to go on a big "lets pad the game out with arbitrary quests" adventure to learn some pointless move that you can't even use in free combat, in order to beat the boss, only for that exact same gameplay loop to be recycled in the second half of the game.

Or maybe they just didn't mention the amazing characters that Ryo achieves a deep relationship with, full of incredible character development, such as:

- Broom girl
- Fat man #1
- Fat man #2
- Kung Fu guy
- Dollar Store Pai
- Mr Muscles

Shenmue 3 relates to post-Kill Bill martial arts movies, and drinks from it.
So it divides the audiences between "its a mix of nonsense with a terrible simple revenge story" and "its a love letter to Asia and Kung fu, with a chant to life underlying a revenge story."

Also, the third entry Reprise getoutta my sight now in a series has been always problematic and critical. I still recall 👴 RE3 1999 reviews calling it tiresome formula. Then 4th entries are decisive, requiring maximum care and secretism around. Because it has to breakthrough while keeping it loyal to the original spirit, very hard.

People and especially haters on internet, are only looking for an echo for their bias, and a weak stance only damage our cause.

Even in 2019 me and a few others complained about this: we never asked to not be honest about the game, we only asked to be conscious about Shenmue situation and to be careful with your tongues, "everything counts in large amounts".

Imagine a sport match, your team lose, a rival fan approach you:

-what's up loser, your team is really weak and you are weak too lol"

now there are many ways to answer or counter this:

1-"go celebrate now, because next time we will win"
2-"we lost for a point, but have you seen the best action of the match from our player? Your team can only dream about a player like ours"
3-"yeah our team wasn't that good, it was a waste of time"

guess what, many of our vocal "fans" choose option 3!
and what is the only answer an hater can give to option 3?

"looooooser, looooooser"

That's the disaster a part of shenmue community did on socials and forums.

They probably don't mention just how exciting it is trying to track down the local thugs, only to get beaten by their boss in a cutscene, despite the player having spent a minute absolutely kicking his ass, which pushes you to reach an artifical gate that forces you to go on a big "lets pad the game out with arbitrary quests" adventure to learn some pointless move that you can't even use in free combat, in order to beat the boss, only for that exact same gameplay loop to be recycled in the second half of the game.

Or maybe they just didn't mention the amazing characters that Ryo achieves a deep relationship with, full of incredible character development, such as:

- Broom girl
- Fat man #1
- Fat man #2
- Kung Fu guy
- Dollar Store Pai
- Mr Muscles

The faults of S3 have been drilled to death by this point. Bringing it up again now is doing nothing but beating a dead horse. Shenmue 3 is what it is, you can't change it. What is more productive is trying to get people to play it instead of taking other people's opinions as gospel.

I can't be the only one who preferred the gameplay of shenmue 3 to shenmue 1, the only problem I had with shenmue 3 was the story and also the battle system which was not perfect apart from that the game was good. and I really loved the art style of shenmue 3

I can't be the only one who preferred the gameplay of shenmue 3 to shenmue 1, the only problem I had with shenmue 3 was the story and also the battle system which was not perfect apart from that the game was good. and I really loved the art style of shenmue 3

I loved Shenmue 3 gameplay, art, music and story, and there are some aspects that are superior for me to the previous games.
My only issues with 3 are the battle system (it's not that bad, there are AAA open world games with worst system in my opinion, but compared to previous Shenmue games Virtua Fighter system, it's of course inferior ) and the lack of Baisha.

I will say the interconected systems Suzuki wanted in Shenmue 3 largely work but like with many things in the game just need a little refinement and polish. As someone that barely engaged with capsule toys and gambling for most part in originals, the way the monetary system worked made me engage with herb collecting and chobu-chan in particular to trade for move scrolls and earn money. I really liked that aspect of Shenmue 3.

I will say the interconected systems Suzuki wanted in Shenmue 3 largely work but like with many things in the game just need a little refinement and polish. As someone that barely engaged with capsule toys and gambling for most part in originals, the way the monetary system worked made me engage with herb collecting and chobu-chan in particular to trade for move scrolls and earn money. I really liked that aspect of Shenmue 3.
You're absolutely right. In a more fully scoped game this would've been a pretty amazing feat, but in Shenmue 3 it feels like it's the main game and there's little substance beyond. I always felt this was an interesting element of Shenmue 3 and I'm sure it was meant to be "one of" the elements of YS's vision.

I have a love/hate relationship with the system. I love it in many ways because it forces you to engage with the world and the economy and it's *almost" integrated in a really clever kind of way. Like it's just so close. I really think the stamina system needed some work toom But I agree without it and the story being fully fleshed out, it ends up feeling like it's the main game and that there's little substance beyond it.

I have said it before, but I would quite like to see it kept in Shenmue IV, but refined and expanded in a more interesting way. If it could be integrated better into substories and the main story, without feeling like a mechanism to pad the game or feeling "grindy", then I think it would be really cool. For example, I quite like the idea of Ryo being able to sit down in restaurants, cafes and bars to have a real meal, which would provide more significant buffs over him just snacking on black garlic throughout the day. The incentive for this, I would like to see, would it be possible to experience missable scenes and events, much like Shenmue 1 and 2 had. Perhaps visiting a particular restaurant at a particular time would result in you meeting a particular character that will kickstart a particular series of side quest events, like the Fangmei birthday quest. Perhaps another event would result on you taking on some thugs in free battle or a QTE event.

That was the stuff I always loved about the first two games. It made each playthrough feel unique and that you were in a real world.

Back