Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

Title: Save screen comes up for a split second before booting you back to main menu after the credits are finished in Shenmue I
Title Version: 1.02
Category: Save data
Reproduction rate: Doesn't happen every time since I didn't get it after I finished my first playthrough but it still happens
Priority: High
Observed result: It won't let me save the game because the save screen pops up and goes away extremely fast
Expected result: I should be able to save the game and have a cleared file that I can transfer to Shenmue II

Can't believe this BS still isn't fixed, since I saw other people complain about this bug on 1.01. It should've been one of the first things they fixed with the 1.02 patch. Such a pain in the ass to have to replay like the last half hour of the game, and hope it doesn't happen again. Unbelievable.

Edit: Lololol it happened again for the 2nd time in a row.

give-leo-an-oscar.jpg

Last edited:
Title: Save screen comes up for a split second before booting you back to main menu after the credits are finished in Shenmue I
Reproduction rate: Doesn't happen every time since I didn't get it after I finished my first playthrough but it still happens
Observed result: It won't let me save the game because the save screen pops up and goes away extremely fast
Expected result: I should be able to save the game and have a cleared file that I can transfer to Shenmue II

Can't believe this BS still isn't fixed, since I saw other people complain about this bug on 1.01. It should've been one of the first things they fixed with the 1.02 patch. Such a pain in the ass to have to replay like the last half hour of the game, and hope it doesn't happen again. Unbelievable.

I think thats the issue with saves in general, when you try to save game in Ryo's room in 2/3 times its the same popping for a second and works normally when you choose save option 2nd time.
Right now i making a second thorough walkthrough of Shenmue 1 on PS4 with the 1.0.2 patch, one was the story walkthrough and second for all missable and secrets scenes and alternate paths. Here what i can claim right now, i didnt experience any cutscenes glitches with patch (before patch, it was 3/5 cutscenes glitching with camera) and i finding all secret cutscenes there is, so PS002, PS008,PS013,PS021,PS043,PS052,PS054,PS085 are fixed. Also they fixed gameplay moments PS010, PS015, PS020, PS031, PS045. What is surely not fixed is PS005, PS061, PS070, also sometimes different sounds just not heard like knocks, kicks, correct choices in qte. Also PS009 is partially fixed, you now can read Iwao letter, but Ryo still cant read signs on houses it only showing them in subs.

I think thats the issue with saves in general, when you try to save game in Ryo's room in 2/3 times its the same popping for a second and works normally when you choose save option 2nd time.
Yeah but when it happens in his room it's really not a problem, a slight annoyance at best. Now having to do that awful fight over and over again while sitting through unskippable cutscenes, piss off...

Right now i making a second thorough walkthrough of Shenmue 1 on PS4 with the 1.0.2 patch, one was the story walkthrough and second for all missable and secrets scenes and alternate paths. Here what i can claim right now, i didnt experience any cutscenes glitches with patch (before patch, it was 3/5 cutscenes glitching with camera) and i finding all secret cutscenes there is, so PS002, PS008,PS013,PS021,PS043,PS052,PS054,PS085 are fixed. Also they fixed gameplay moments PS010, PS015, PS020, PS031, PS045.
The problem with those gltiches is they were so random, so it's hard to know if they have been fixed or people are being lucky. On my 1st playthrough on the old patch 1.0.1 I only had one of those sort of glitches happen when I got the mirror, had the scene looking at the tree when fuku freaks out about the mirror.
I played that part a few days later on the same patch no problem.
It's the same with crashes, I had a crash with Mai and those girls after the QTE, restarted and it didn't happen a 2nd time playing. Same with my recent crash on Shenmue II taking a photo of Joy.
I thought the end of game saving might have been fixed since I finished the game again after getting QTE Title 2 prize and it let me save no problem. But schoolboy is saying different.
Maybe they have reduced the occurence of them happening even more/maybe they are fixed completly it's hard to say with those due to the random nature of experiencing those ones.

Last edited:
I skipped the credits and it finally let me save and make a cleared file, about goddamn time. I didn't skip them the first time I completed it shortly after launch and I didn't get the bug unlike what was happening today, so it probably doesn't make a difference if you skip them or not and it's just random. They need to fix this asap.

Warning for off topic posting re bugs. We have made this clear in previous posts. Any off topic should be discussed in the General Talk thread.

Edit: Lololol it happened again for the 2nd time in a row.

give-leo-an-oscar.jpg
Absolutely ridiculous isn't it. I'm refusing to load my last save game and go through the boss fights again. Fuck that.

I've just started Shenmue 2 with a new file instead.

I'm glad I'm playing these games again, but the fact our own community are the game testers for this project is unbelievable.

It's simply impossible for these guys to miss even a handful of these bugs. Lazy fuckers.

Title: Cutscene when first entering Wan Chai at the beginning of the game, Ryo's character model is incorrect as his mouth doesn't move when speaking to Joy.

Platform: PS4

Category: Graphical

Priority: Medium

After getting your bag back at the beginning of the game, you need to go to Wan Chai. When you first enter the street, you get a cutscene with Joy where she tells you about Come Over Guest House.

Observed Result: Both times when Ryo says "It's none of your business" "Again it's none of your business". His mouth does not move and his character model looks to be the in-game one and not the cutscene model as there are no expressions on his face. After Joy's line "The place at the Harbour, it's closed now". The character model is corrected with expressions and the mouth moving.

Expected Result: The cutscene model should be there throughout the scene with his mouth moving to the dialogue, as was the case with the original Dreamcast and Xbox versions.

Per @Jason feedback and observing that in PC is fixed I will mark as fixed all the cutscenes issues if nobody exeperience it again next week.

Can we keep the topic to bug reporting and technical posting. We've made this clear on a number of occasions and we are being serious now.

Bug reporting/resolution and technical discussion only here.

Otherwise please use the general topic here

Title: Shenmue 2 - Fountain sound in pigeon park is still not the same as the Dreamcast version with a single sound repeating very loud, which is very jarring.

Category: audio

Any time in the game if you go to pigeon park and stand next to the fountain the sound there is looping incorrectly and seems to be looping the first part of the complete sound and it is very jarring.

Expected Result: Audio should be smooth and match the dreamcast and original Xbox versions.

Title: Cannot kick another person while grappling someone
Title Version: 1.0.2
Reproduction rate: 30 out of 30 tries
Category: Combat
Priority: Severe

I noticed this while competing in the 70 Man Battle. If you grab an opponent, you cannot kick another opponent at the same time. Ryo will complete the kicking motion, but he cannot make contact with the other members of the Mad Angels. It also appears that this glitch happens in any fight, not just the 70 Man Battle.

Title: Cannot kick another person while grappling someone
Title Version: 1.0.2
Reproduction rate: 30 out of 30 tries
Category: Combat
Priority: Severe

I noticed this while competing in the 70 Man Battle. If you grab an opponent, you cannot kick another opponent at the same time. Ryo will complete the kicking motion, but he cannot make contact with the other members of the Mad Angels. It also appears that this glitch happens in any fight, not just the 70 Man Battle.
I think this is a duplicate of PS060

Right now i making a second thorough walkthrough of Shenmue 1 on PS4 with the 1.0.2 patch, one was the story walkthrough and second for all missable and secrets scenes and alternate paths. Here what i can claim right now, i didnt experience any cutscenes glitches with patch (before patch, it was 3/5 cutscenes glitching with camera) and i finding all secret cutscenes there is, so PS002, PS008,PS013,PS021,PS043,PS052,PS054,PS085 are fixed. Also they fixed gameplay moments PS010, PS015, PS020, PS031, PS045. What is surely not fixed is PS005, PS061, PS070, also sometimes different sounds just not heard like knocks, kicks, correct choices in qte. Also PS009 is partially fixed, you now can read Iwao letter, but Ryo still cant read signs on houses it only showing them in subs.

I can confirm that in PS4 version 1.01 when interacting with the cat during 7pm, I had a bug (10/10 cases) with the camera being fixed to the cat during the following nightfall sequence. Tried it out a few minutes ago and now it shows the regular Yamanose sequence.

Title: Shenmue 2 - Fountain sound in pigeon park is still not the same as the Dreamcast version with a single sound repeating very loud, which is very jarring.

Category: audio

Any time in the game if you go to pigeon park and stand next to the fountain the sound there is looping incorrectly and seems to be looping the first part of the complete sound and it is very jarring.

Expected Result: Audio should be smooth and match the dreamcast and original Xbox versions.

The same screwed up water sound is in Golden Shopping Mall (Golden Quarter).

ps4 shenmue: mainly having problems in the harbor at the moment.

- stuck in first person view (had to save & reload game)
- sound disappeared while driving forklift & having game on pause - came back after cut-scene.
- forklift got stuck, i couldnt drop off a crate.

Last night, I played S2 and the Bloom Taylor shop's (Lucky Charm Qr.) music sounded off to me but it could be just my memory playing tricks on me. Unfortunately I was unable to find a Youtube video video of the Bloom Taylor music from the Dreamcast or Xbox version.

Could someone please help me out with the original music?

I want to double-check if it is really a bug before writing up a report and sending it to Sega.

Last night, I played S2 and the Bloom Taylor shop's (Lucky Charm Qr.) music sounded off to me but it could be just my memory playing tricks on me. Unfortunately I was unable to find a Youtube video video of the Bloom Taylor music from the Dreamcast or Xbox version.

Could someone please help me out with the original music?

I want to double-check if it is really a bug before writing up a report and sending it to Sega.

Here is all the music from Wan Chai (except cutscenes)

The problem is that it is not just one or two single stores that have broken music. Went exploring through Wan Chai a bit and it is kind of a high percentage of shops which have wrong sounding music compared to the original.

Thanks a lot, Markus! There is no track in there called Bloom Taylor, but it could be a track called "Clothier Taylors", which is in the video. I'll play again tonight and use my mobile to compare side by side to the PS4 version.

About the other shops. If you run into stuff like this, please try to keep track of which shops or buildings it concerns. I know it's annoying but we'll have to start somewhere if it's really a lot of shops and buildings.

Pesonally, on my current playthrough, I'm not too far into the game yet, only just found out about the Wulinshu so I haven't gotten to any other places than Wan Chai and Aberdeen yet. Haven't really been to a lot of shops, but those I've been to sounded ok so far. However, I'll keep an eye out for that stuff. Thanks for the heads-up!

Title: Da Yuan Appartments Music Sounds off

Category: Audio

Reproduction Steps: Enter Da Yuan Appartments in Wise Mens Qr (The place Xiuying lives at). Listen to the music. Compare it to the Dreamcast original.

Observed Result: The music sounds off

Expected Result: The music should sound the same as it did in the original game.

Back