Shenmue I & II Issues & Bugs Thread: Shenmue Dojo Part 2

Title: Shenmue 2 - Sign for Three Blades street is in Japanese, out of focus and stretched incorrectly.

Platform: PS4

Title Version: 1.03

Category: Graphical

Priority: Medium

When going from Golden Quarter (Where the arcade is), if you go towards Three Blades Street, the sign for the road named (three blades street) is blurred, stretched incorrectly and in Japanese. When you go into Three Blades Street the sign suddenly changes to english and in the correct proportions.

Expected Result: The sign should be in english even before going into the street, as it was in the original dreamcast/xbox version.

Title: Audio files for speech are encoded at 20kbps (see here)
Platform: All
Title Version: All (as of November 11, 2018)
Category: Sound
Priority: High
Reproduction Rate: Always
Observed Result: Voices in the games are of much lower quality than the original Dreamcast/Xbox versions.
Expected Result: The original uncompressed files should be used, thereby making speech sound identical to the Dreamcast/Xbox versions. Without an official fix, the console versions will be stuck with inferior speech quality forever.

This is a small issue that you probably only hear when paying attention, but after I realized it, I can't unhear it anymore now :-)

Title: Volume at track FREE 3 unbalanced
Platform: PS4 - Shenmue 1
Category: Music
Priority: Low
Observed Result: Play as long as you get FREE 3 playing in the neighborhood. That one tune that kicks in at 0:39, 0:48, 0:57 and 1:05 in the FREE 3 track gets faded in smoothly in the original games (and when you hear it on YouTube). In the rerelease the volume of that tune kicking in increases harshly each time before immediately getting turned lower which makes it more aggressive and uncomfortable.
Expected Result: FREE 3 should sound like in the originals.

Last night I noticed while playing Shenmue I that, after talking to NPCs at dusk, the redish tint that's applied to the whole image disappears for a split-second as the camera changes then gets reapplied. Anyone noticed this, and know if it happened in the original? I don't remember it happening in the original.

Last night I noticed while playing Shenmue I that, after talking to NPCs at dusk, the redish tint that's applied to the whole image disappears for a split-second as the camera changes then gets reapplied. Anyone noticed this, and know if it happened in the original? I don't remember it happening in the original.

Happens in every scene at every time; it's most noticeable during night-time cutscenes at the harbour, where every scene seems to fade in from black. It didn't happen in the original but it's been happening in the re-release since day one.

Title: Audio files for speech are encoded at 20kbps (see here)
Platform: All
Title Version: All (as of November 11, 2018)
Observed Result: Voices in the games are of much lower quality than the original Dreamcast/Xbox versions.
Expected Result: The original uncompressed files should be used, thereby making speech sound identical to the Dreamcast/Xbox versions. Without an official fix, the console versions will be stuck with inferior speech quality forever.
Not sure about adding this one to the list because the 20kbps thing looks like a design choice and change it is not likely to happen

Not sure about adding this one to the list because the 20kbps thing looks like a design choice and change it is not likely to happen
I know it's unlikely that they'll actually fix it, but it's really hard to fathom why they would intentionally choose to encode everything at an extremely low bit rate. I guess it saves a little space, but I thought we weren't supposed to have to worry about that kind of thing these days with hard drives and Blu-ray discs. It's your decision whether or not to add it to the list but I definitely feel that it's something that needs fixing. It's something that's objectively inferior about these ports and the difference is quite noticeable if you go back and forth between the PS4 and Dreamcast versions.

^ It should count as a bug; you're right.
Besides, D3T could always fix it if enough people complain/ report it directly.
Think of it this way: @Dewey essentially fixed that issue himself on the PC release; time for D3t to up their game a bit, no?

^ It should count as a bug; you're right.
Besides, D3T could always fix it if enough people complain/ report it directly.
Think of it this way: @Dewey essentially fixed that issue himself on the PC release; time for D3t to up their game a bit, no?
Definitely. It would be an extremely easy fix too. It wouldn't even involve messing around with code, trying to find the logic error causing a specific bug. They would simply need to replace the compressed files with the uncompressed ones.

Title: Critical error (CE-34878-0) in Beverly Hills Wharf after Wong gives you the Heavens Lighter.

Title Version: Shenmue 2, ver. 1.03

Category: Gameplay

Reproduction Rate: 10/10

Priority: Very High

Reproduction Steps: Any interaction with a Heavens member (Ryo wants to meet Ren) appears to start a cutscene which results in PS4 crash error.

Observed Result: Immediate Crash and Shutdown of game

Expected Result: Game should work! :)
Title: Critical error (CE-34878-0) in Beverly Hills Wharf after Wong gives you the Heavens Lighter.

Title Version: Shenmue 2, ver. 1.03

Category: Gameplay

Reproduction Rate: 10/10

Priority: Very High

Reproduction Steps: Any interaction with a Heavens member (Ryo wants to meet Ren) appears to start a cutscene which results in PS4 crash error.

Observed Result: Immediate Crash and Shutdown of game

Expected Result: Game should work! :)

This looks to have been fixed with 1.04 update - Yay!! :)

Definitely. It would be an extremely easy fix too. It wouldn't even involve messing around with code, trying to find the logic error causing a specific bug. They would simply need to replace the compressed files with the uncompressed ones.
Could be worth a shot. Has anyone reported it to Sega?

Title: Yellow Head Building 6 Floor

Title Version: 1.04

Category: Graphic

Priority: Medium

Reproduction Steps: Enter the 6 Floor of Yellow Head Building to when you get to the section where you sneaking when the lights go off. When the lamps go blinking before shutting off during gameplay, all objects now including Ryo are shaking like there two of them. Wasnt there in 1.02 version

Observed Result: All objects are shaking

Expected Result: The objects should not shaking as it did in v 1.02.

Also I having trouble at sending this bug to Sega, they just dont respond and assigning a ticket,i was trying to sent bug PS023 also without results.

Last edited:
Title: Room 902 Huang room song is glitched/has loud noise in the track

Title Version: 1.04

Category: Audio

Priority: Medium to High

Observed Result: Upon ryo going to room 902, a few seconds in the track a loud annoying noise pops in the track and it persist throughout the entire section.

Expected Result: The song should play without that noise.

experiencing a glitched night sky in workers pier headed towards the guy in pigeon park to the left of the lighthouse shenmue II for PC

Title: Black sky in the cutscene and fights at the harbor with Charlie and his biker friends (after third working day)
Category: Graphics
Priority: Low/Medium
Reproduction Rate: 1/1
Observed Result: After the third full working day at the harbor when you have the fight/chase with the bikers in the night at the cantina, at the end of the sequence, when you chase Charlie on a bike and during the following two fights, the sky in the background is pitchblack. In the following cutscene after the fights it is normal again.
I tested it only once since unfortunately my last save is some time ago and I didn't want to go back all the way. If somebody else is doing another playthrough with the current version, you can keep an eye open for that.
Expected Result: Correct sky

EDIT Checked an old playthrough video. That bug already existed in the original game.

Last edited:
Title: Game crashed when the bike part on the highway started
Category: Gemaplay
Reproduction Rate: 1/2
Observed Result: When Nozomi gets kidnapped and you borrow your friends bike I had a PS4 system crash exactly when the highway part with the timer started and had to restart the game. Luckily I had saved before. The second time it worked.
Expected Result: No crash

Title: Audio tracks in Manpukuken ramen music unsynchronous
Observed Result: Go into Manpukuken Ramen and listen to the background music. There are two audio tracks which are out of sync.
Expected Result: Correct sounding music

And when I played a second time through Shenmue 1 with the new patch I found the jumping volume levels in the FREE 3 track even more bothering, so I would recommend including this also as a ticket. It's probably not that big of a deal for the devs to look into the mixing of one particular song. So maybe it helps to give them the hint

Title: Jumping volumes during FREE 3 track
Observed Result: Listen to the FREE 3 track and compare it to how smooth it sounded originally. Volume mixing should be improved.
Expected Result: Correct sounding music

Apart from FREE3 and Manpukuken Ramen, the music in Shenmue 1 seems ok for me now.

Back