New Gamecores Chinese interview with Yu Suzuki

https://www.gcores.com/articles/105359

I'm working on a full translation, but a brief summary of info on Shenmue

1. Shenmue 3 will incorporate some game content/ideas from the boat chapter cut from the original games, although unclear if there's any story element involved. Most likely gameplay elements e.g. minigames

2. Project Berkley name was derived from a Japanese phrase to "pretend to not know", supposedly to keep project low profile. Also because he thought an English codename was cool

3. The title "Genpuu-ki" was considered for the game but dropped as it was deemed boring. FYI "Genpuu-Maru" is the name of the ship Ryo took from yokosuka to HK. More info here: http://shmuplations.com/shenmue/?fb...NlzDLj_He3-foJuVZRsqSa3RceUd60LGxZKzoGHQafMmE

Last edited:
Exciting. I look forward to the full translation.

1. Shenmue 3 will incorporate some game content/ideas from the boat chapter cut from the original games, although unclear if there's any story element involved. Most likely gameplay elements e.g. minigames

Thank you so much!

Does anyone else think Ryo could have a flashback in the boat in his way to hong kong with Chai the first time he sees him in Shenmue 3? Something like..."You? I thought I wasn't going to see you again", and then Ryo recalls the fight in the boat.

Thank you so much!

Does anyone else think Ryo could have a flashback in the boat in his way to hong kong with Chai the first time he sees him in Shenmue 3? Something like..."You? I thought I wasn't going to see you again", and then Ryo recalls the fight in the boat.

Yes that's a good shout actually. This has come to a huge surprise though, never thought this would happen in Shenmue 3.

2. Project Berkley name was derived from a Japanese phrase to "pretend to not know", supposedly to keep project low profile. Also because he thought an English codename was cool

3. The title "Genpuu-den" was considered for the game but dropped as it was deemed boring. FYI "Genpuu-Maru" is the name of the ship Ryo took from yokosuka to HK

Thank you for the translations. These tidbits are like a good mystery.

I'm thinking he means that the boat trip to Chobou might be playable, meaning you can interact with the passengers, etc...We'll see.

Imagine going boat fishing ...and you think you caught a big one...but a certain someone ends up baiting you

Well, the translation straight-up says "most likely gameplay elements", not necessarily story, so I won't hold my breath for any flashbacks. A playable boat ride sounds awesome, though.

It's getting harder and harder as the year goes on to not learn things about the game that I would like to remain a surprise. If anyone was thinking about going dark before Shenmue 3 is released, you might want to give that some thought. Yu-san isn't shy with spoilers at times, and all it takes is one interview for a spoiler to come from it.

I'm betting the boat ride is playable to a certain extent, and that's what the interview is alluding to. As you can see in that screenshot above they've fully modelled the whole thing, including the interior by the looks of it. Odds are it'll be somewhat playable. Using ideas from Shenmue 2 is a fantastic idea and a nice surprise, if they're doing that. Shenmue 3 clearly has a lot of love being poured in to it, if Suzuki is drawing from his ideas from two decades ago to polish the experience.

Onwards to MAGIC I guess, and providing the release date sticks, Shenmue 3 in August. Feels unreal.

Last edited:
It's getting harder and harder as the year goes on to not learn things about the game that I would like to remain a surprise. If anyone was thinking about going dark before Shenmue 3 is released, you might want to give that some thought. Yu-san isn't shy with spoilers at times, and all it takes is one interview for a spoiler to come from it.

Would be awesome if Yu-san is intentionally leaving his interviews open to certain interpretations in order to completely surprise folks. I sense we are in for a few shockers.

Funny since I thought that Genpuu-den sounded more like an anime than a video game.

If the boat is fully recreated and we can visit it, I wouldn't know what to do, if admire the landscape of Guilin from the boat or visit the boat..

Back