Video 1 - Shenmue III MINIGAME footage from IGN Japan (13 minutes)

At first I was bummed out about new menu noises (though I admit that a little variety can't hurt), but the item collecting sound made up for all that and then some. This is a lovely mix of classic form and modern tweaks.

Last edited:
Half way through the clip, a man appears on screen from nowhere. I mean characters disappearing and reappearing on screen happened all the time in the first game, but still...

Definitely looks and feels like Shenmue and exactly what I wanted from the game. But this confirms that it's definitely going to look and feel like a budget title (something we all knew) and that it really won't appeal to many people outside of the hardcore fans... A lot of the goofy and cringey dialogue and gameplay is far too rooted in the originals, I feel. It could have been updated. Again, I'm really happy with what I saw, but casuals are going to look at this and think "wtf is this?"

Nah, you got it wrong. It's a different segment of the same place. You can see it by the time of day being different.

Whew, quite a lot to digest here, even though it's pretty much just gambling.
Here are some quick thoughts.
  • Enviroments look absolutey great
  • Voice acting sounds solid
  • Love the reuse of classic sound effects
  • Turtles are adorable
  • Capsule toy buying is crazy fast and lures for fishing later?
  • The lack of music made this feel rather empty
  • Ryo's walking animation still seems a bit stiff
  • HUD has expectadly gotten a bit too cluttered and gamey

Spot on assessment, that font they are using in the UI look pretty bad and needs to change. They should look at the great job D3T did with Shenmue 1 & 2 HD, that UI update is perfect. Fix the UI font, add music and improve his walking animation and we are golden in my opinion.

Something happens when Ryo talks to someone facing the river. Its like the texture pops in a second too late.

EDIT - I like it on the whole but it does still seem pretty rough. Do you guys think they can fix some of the issues in the next few months? Improved lip-synching etc?

Ryo looks great too! Still not feeling some of those NPCs, but at least that's the Ryo we all know and love! For better and worse, this is a proper Shenmue experience and straight up natural continuation to the first two games. I wouldn't have it any other way, to be fair.

Edit: Oh and the environments and scenery are BEAUTIFUL.

The Sega logos on the machine are really something to think about...

This definately means that some degree of Sega is definately still in the game. Sonic, VF and whatnot capsule toys are absolutely possible. Arcade games are the next thing then. So far we've seen only generic stuff but the Sega name hanging over this must mean something.

Also, it will be really strange to see Ryo pull people he knows out of those capsules... including himself!

Back