Video 1 - Shenmue III MINIGAME footage from IGN Japan (13 minutes)

Loved this! Wasn't expecting this at all. It's turned my evening into a good one. What I really liked was:
  • The visuals (very pretty looking game)
  • The voice acting. It's 100% Shenmue and I'm so pleased to hear Corey sound almost exactly like Ryo over 15 years ago. That's actually insane.
  • The controls look easy to navigate and is similar to Shenmue 1 and 2.
  • Lucky hit is back so is roll it on top. As well as new games.
  • Ryo is Ryo and happy with how he looks too
  • Ryo getting flirted with
  • Capsule machines and toys
  • Everything about this just screamed Shenmue. Can't believe how similar it is after all this time.
  • The animation and impressive details, colourful, the NPC's, etc
  • How the camera goes onto Ryo's face when he talks to someone. Just like in the previous games
Things I wasn't overly impressed with:
  • The sound of the notebook when updated but I didn't dislike it. It was just so-so to me. I will easily get used to it
  • Some of the new games seem a little boring.
    - Where was the music? Must have been for a reason I hope.
Seriously impressed with this! By the way, will this be the same thing showed tomorrow?

Last edited:
Combat looks good! From watching, it seems to have good weight to it. I wish there would be more varied physical reaction from Ryo/opponent when getting hit, especially while blocking, but I completely understand that is likely a necessary sacrifice from a budgetary perspective.

I like the training section. But for the combat though... It looks rough :/

Eh, not to reiterate the same thing I wrote above, but it was never going to look as good as the first two games, even. The fact is that they didn't have a Virtua Fighter to pull from and were designing this on a budget that even a pure fighting game exceeds by millions.

I think it looks great, but in a different way from SI+II.

Yup, this is Shenmue. It looks amazing as expected from a Shenmue game (it's all about the environments really) and the turtles are adorable, and of course it wouldn't be complete without Lucky Hit.

Voice acting is somehow even worse than the originals, Lucky Hit needs double the gravity on its balls, Roll it on Top needs double the friction and half the bounciness on its dice, and I'm not sure how I feel about the "taking a shit in the countryside" training, but it's nitpicks I don't really care about anyway.

The combat needs a lot of refining but the core is there and looks as enjoyable and as easy to get into as the original games.

I get a fair amount of Sleeping Dogs vibe from the presentation of the game - from the walking sections, the new minigames, and the EXP screens. It's not a bad thing - Sleeping Dogs had great presentation - but it does make it feel a little less Shenmue.

I thought the combat was the best part! Looks fluid and has a lot of the classic moves.

It looked kinda weird imo. Like at one moment, the opponent gives a kick but "slides" on his feet, to compensate the distance. As for the classic move, they lack the impact. Like, the counter elbow assault neither have the old fluidity nor impact. Same for the tornado kick.

Back