Kickstarter Project Update #103: A message from Ys Net, Epic Games & Deep Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let him continue to troll with complete disregard. Very fair and open-minded.

Oh, really? This is the last thing I said directly to you: "I do think the anger is way out of proportion to the problem. But ultimately I hope that things can be rearranged so that it's a good outcome for you and everyone. Things definitely could be handled better. "

Since that time, you have used this similar turn of phrase to say things like 'let them live in their own delusional world,' said people are 'smoking special grass' and 'using insane mental gymnastics,' told people they sound ridiculous, said people are 'bafflingly ignorant,' used profanity, and dropped this gem: "YsNet and DS could kill your dogs and you'd all still defend them lmao." And you say people are being aggressive to you? It's a continuous stream of provocations from you - you're trying to make people feel the same intensity of anger that you are feeling.

As for me, as I said above, I do want a good outcome for the people who don't want the EGS copy of the game... even though it does not matter to me as much as it does to you. It does not make me angry that it's a timed exclusive with EGS. But I want you to get your Steam keys. I'll write to YsNet politely to request it on behalf of everyone who is against the EGS deal.

But you need to change your behavior. I think what you're doing is damaging this forum right now.

May I be completely honest? Ok, I understand this epic store exclusivity thing is hardly the smoothest move and seems a tad ill considered, and I'm not a PC gamer so maybe there's some extra significance I'm not understanding here, but jesus christ it does seem like a lot of people are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this. Yeah it's a bit crappy that it might not come immediately to your preferred PC download platform which you were promised. But some of you seriously want to stop supporting Shenmue 3 because of that? It's a minor inconvenience, and I can't see an angle in which it isn't a minor thing, even though it's still a bit shitty. This is Shenmue 3 we're talking about, a game that wasn't supposed to (in some people's opinion) exist at all. Can we not keep some sensible perspective on things?

But some of you seriously want to stop supporting Shenmue 3 because of that?

No one said ANY of this.

I have bought the game for both ps4 and pc. I will be playing on ps4 now. However, some got the game on pc exclusively and this is a major problem for them.

Can you please point anyone, on this board, who has said they no longer support Shenmue III? Not talking about the insane Kickstarter comments, but on this board?

Also, are you reading your own post?

a minor thing

it's still a bit shitty

How can a minor thing be considered shitty?

yq4KEgg.gif

A shitty thing is, by definition, not minor.

How can anyone say,"Yeah it's a bit crappy that it might not come immediately to your preferred PC download platform which you were promised...." and include a but?

All of us support this game, and most of us are enraptured by the E3 footage being authentically Shenmue. However, there is no but. "Yeah it's a bit crappy that you lost money and as of now you'll have to rebuy something you've donated hundreds of dollars to but..."

Are you joking? Are you reading what you're saying?

Last edited:
May I be completely honest? Ok, I understand this epic store exclusivity thing is hardly the smoothest move and seems a tad ill considered, and I'm not a PC gamer so maybe there's some extra significance I'm not understanding here, but jesus christ it does seem like a lot of people are making a mountain out of a mole hill with this. Yeah it's a bit crappy that it might not come immediately to your preferred PC download platform which you were promised. But some of you seriously want to stop supporting Shenmue 3 because of that? It's a minor inconvenience, and I can't see an angle in which it isn't a minor thing, even though it's still a bit shitty. This is Shenmue 3 we're talking about, a game that wasn't supposed to (in some people's opinion) exist at all. Can we not keep some sensible perspective on things?

Well whether you like it or not, whether you find it absurd or not this move has angered a lot of people. For a franchise that is on an unstable foundation it’s not something Shenmue needs right now. This anger is spreading across social media and damaging the reputation of the brand. This could potentially lead to lost sales which could put us right back to pre 2015. I am sure none of us want that to happen.

Last edited:
If it was never promised on Steam then I feel there is a massive over reaction to Epic games. Maybe it was promised but we can't see the update even though you looked?

It's simple enough to use Ctrl+F on the main Kickstarter and Slacker Backer pages and then search your emails for the words Shenmue and Steam, so there's not a lot of room for human error. But you're welcome to double-check.

My issue is with the people acting like Yu Suzuki murdered their first born child.

I don't mind telling you I reported this tweet and got the account suspended:

death-threat.png

It's simple enough to use Ctrl+F on the main Kickstarter and Slacker Backer pages and then search your emails for the words Shenmue and Steam, so there's not a lot of room for human error. But you're welcome to double-check.

I don't mind telling you I reported this tweet and got the account suspended:

death-threat.png

Thank you for reporting this loon.

It sounds like they're going to do something for the backers, I don't understand why people are upset at what seems to be Ys saying they plan to do something and hear the fans. I get being mad at the EGS thing, but this update alone makes it sound like people upset by this will be taken care of in some way.

Maybe I'm being optimistic. I just think we should give Ys a chance to speak.

It sounds like they're going to do something for the backers, I don't understand why people are upset at what seems to be Ys saying they plan to do something and hear the fans. I get being mad at the EGS thing, but this update alone makes it sound like people upset by this will be taken care of in some way.

Some people love to be upset and to get even. They even look for justifications to so.
Thats Human nature LOL

Amen...patience is a virtue...things are in motion folks...lies can travel the world before the truth puts on its pants...but the truth is on the way!

People want their money back even if they right things. There's a group of people who decided this is their D Day and will make sure to spend the next year reminding us of the fact.

People want their money back even if they right things. There's a group of people who decided this is their D Day and will make sure to spend the next year reminding us of the fact.

Indeed. Not just that though, but there's some people who decided a while back that Shenmue 3 won't be any good and that they've been "scammed". I know of one individual on a certain Facebook group who backed this game and has been nitpicking and moaning about every little detail since the campaign ended and his money was taken. I doubt he's the only one. That's why I said on Monday or Tuesday (when emotions were running high) that's the reason why YsNet aren't coming out with the knee jerk reaction of "okay, we'll issue refunds".

Issuing refunds to people who are genuinely upset and feel misled by the Epic decision is one thing, but if you do it for some people, it will open up the floodgates for all the people who decided years ago they don't really care about Shenmue 3 - or regret backing it because they think it looks crap - to hop on the bandwagon and pretend they give a damn about the Epic deal too just so they can get their money back.

That's why it would be better for YsNet to find a way to issue Steam keys, whether that's on release day or at a later date. They don't owe refunds and they shouldn't consider going down that route, but they should do something to try and get these backers back on side and do right by them.

your thoughts about "we can just get help from somewhere else" "just get another publisher" are worthless.

Suzuki started the Kickstarter campaign because there was no other help
and that was the best way to get at least a minimum budget from the fans.
Sega had no interest in Shenmue 3.

so if its so easy to get a different big publisher
and a couple of million dollars from somewhere else, you should tell that to YS Net.
i think they would like to know your magic trick.

Suzuki had trouble to even find ONE publisher.

without Deep Silver, the finished Shenmue 3 would look like it does in the first trailer
+ all of the other handikaps. yes, we would not have the Epic comments
but the game would still get all of the "Kickstarter fail" comments.
and with a graphics quality that looks worse than it does right now,
it would catch way less new players and you can bet that people would be disappointed even here in this forum.
i mean, even now we have discussions about bad graphics - imagine the discussions with even worse graphics.

if you think that without Deep Silver everything would just be better, thats not how it works.

Deep Silver has a terrible reputation as sellouts now.
Deep basically has alienated:
Steams fans
Metro Exodus
People that hate Epic with a passion.
People that avoid shitty companies like Deep silver that are sellouts and completely ignore the customer's opinion.
Thousands of Shenmue fans that feel they were backstabbed with reason.

Deep Silver knew the negative backlash that happened with Exodus and still "acted" like changing platform to an awfully inferior client to steam as it was a "good thing" Do they think we are all idiots? It just requires very little common sense that this negative publicity would happen that will push thousands of people away from Shenmue in a negative way that will create with time a snowball effect word of mouth spreads fast now especially in this age and will hit Shenmue in a negative way.
People will not forget this and the damage and loss is trust is done.
They should have asked us first in a survey instead of negotiating behind our back and then act like it was a positive thing like we are idiots.

Deep Silver has a terrible reputation as sellouts now.
Deep basically has alienated:
Steams fans
Metro Exodus
People that hate Epic with a passion.
People that avoid shitty companies like Deep silver that are sellouts and completely ignore the customer's opinion.
Thousands of Shenmue fans that feel they were backstabbed with reason.

Deep Silver knew the negative backlash that happened with Exodus and still "acted" like changing platform to an awfully inferior client to steam as it was a "good thing" Do they think we are all idiots? It just requires very little common sense that this negative publicity would happen that will push thousands of people away from Shenmue in a negative way that will create with time a snowball effect word of mouth spreads fast now especially in this age and will hit Shenmue in a negative way.
People will not forget this and the damage and loss is trust is done.
They should have asked us first in a survey instead of negotiating behind our back and then act like it was a positive thing like we are idiots.

i think i answered your posts already like ten times.
if you just want to stick with your opinion and just repeat the same thing again and again
without answering any of my questions, i think any further discussion is pointless.
i get it, i get it. Deep Silver is the company of the devil, all they want is to earn billions of dollars
with our hard earned money. god help us all.

This Epic deal was a business decision. And if it benefited Deep Silver why should they have a pow-wow with the fans? Obviously this was greed/money based and DS came out on top.

We just have to wait and see what they will do in this situation.

The EGS sizzle reel is sinking right now with over 20,000 Dislikes. People are NOT happy with what they did and have done.

The damage to Shenmue is essentially done at this point, guys. We can salvage what we can, but this was a knockout blow to a Kickstarter campaign whose communication had been very lackluster at best.

That is a tough pill for a LOT of us to swallow, but there is very little that can be done to rectify the damage done. It is all up to the decision they make in the end regarding backers who are displeased with this situation.

I can tell you this-- I've managed retail a very long time. Once a customer is taken aback this badly, it takes an extraordinary amount of good faith to win them back. If they wait too long to commit to a refund or key, the bridges will burn.

We just have to wait and see what they will do in this situation.

The EGS sizzle reel is sinking right now with over 20,000 Dislikes. People are NOT happy with what they did and have done.

The damage to Shenmue is essentially done at this point, guys. We can salvage what we can, but this was a knockout blow to a Kickstarter campaign whose communication had been very lackluster at best.

That is a tough pill for a LOT of us to swallow, but there is very little that can be done to rectify the damage done. It is all up to the decision they make in the end regarding backers who are displeased with this situation.

I can tell you this-- I've managed retail a very long time. Once a customer is taken aback this badly, it takes an extraordinary amount of good faith to win them back. If they wait too long to commit to a refund or key, the bridges will burn.

It really sucks. We could rely on the game marketing, but the game marketing even at E3 and behind Deep Silver, is terrible. Right now the only thing that will save this thing is if it's a good game. Marketing, mindshare, fan engagement. It has failed on all levels and smells like a bomb. I wish there weren't the case. I wish things were better for the game, but the situation right now is not good for III, the future of Shenmue, nor Yu Suzuki's career which is tied to all of this.

No one said ANY of this.

I have bought the game for both ps4 and pc. I will be playing on ps4 now. However, some got the game on pc exclusively and this is a major problem for them.

Can you please point anyone, on this board, who has said they no longer support Shenmue III? Not talking about the insane Kickstarter comments, but on this board?

Fair play, but I guess I just think if it's a timed exclusive (and I know we don't know how long that time will be) it's not a major problem in my books. If Epic is truly beyond the pale for someone for whatever reason, then if they sit tight they should still get to play it. And I get that that's pretty annoying, I honestly do, but I don't understand the level of vitriol this has engendered in certain fans. We all know that Shenmue 3's existence and development has probably been pretty precarious, and the team making the game (and Yu in particular) have a tremendous amount of pressure on them. Making Shenmue 3 on a modest budget and trying to live up to fan expectations is no easy task. So I guess I hoped that people would have had a bit more understanding for this game. Not that I think this was Yu Suzuki's doing, it was probably a decision made by some producer or something, but it's a bit disappointing to see people raging and asking for refunds. But I guess I shouldn't judge, it's their money and I can't tell them how to feel.

It really sucks. We could rely on the game marketing, but the game marketing even at E3 and behind Deep Silver, is terrible. Right now the only thing that will save this thing is if it's a good game. Marketing, mindshare, fan engagement. It has failed on all levels and smells like a bomb. I wish there weren't the case. I wish things were better for the game, but the situation right now is not good for III, the future of Shenmue, nor Yu Suzuki's career which is tied to all of this.
I get that you hate Epic but this whole doom and gloom routine is really getting old. Most of the internet is totally oblivious to the Epic vs Steam drama, if they are even pc gamers at all. The console gamers, especially on PS4, don't have a stake in this. Nobody with a PS4 is going to stopping buying Shenmue 3 out of 'solidarity' with pc gamers just because Epic finally decided to challenge Steam's de facto monopoly on that platform. This is of course also not taking into account the pc gamers who currently use the Epic store anyway, like I said most people don't have any loyalty to Steam. Things may be heated now but beyond in the months ahead Shenmue 3 can still find success.

Doom and gloom? I’m just being pragmatic. This is not good and we are running out of chances for the game to be successful.

Nobody with a PS4 is going to stopping buying Shenmue 3 out of 'solidarity' with pc gamers just because Epic finally decided to challenge Steam's de facto monopoly on that platform.

WOOOAAAHHH what's Steam got to do, got to do with it?

It has nothing to do with Steam. It's not because "Epic finally decided to challenge Steam's de facto monopoly" because otherwise the same people would be complaining over GOG and other platforms.

This pathetic strawman keeps being built, and it's ridiculous. It's obviously a load of crap. It has absolutely nothing to do with competition between Steam and Epic. Let me say it again in big letters so people will actually fucking read it for once:

It has absolutely nothing to do with competition between Steam and Epic.

This isn't a format war. This is not platform loyalty. This is not any of the bullshit that keeps being said. If it was suggested that the game would've been released on GOG first, and then switched to Epic, the backlash would've been the same (perhaps even more so). If it'd been switched from Steam to GOG instead of Epic, the backlash would've been near non-existent.

This is about Epic, and the very real problems that exist with security and privacy on the platform. These problems have been brought up a number of times, but for some reason the response to doing this is to put your fingers in your ear, shout "MONOPOLY", and then presumably have a naptime after spending too long failing to put the square block in the square-shaped hole.

It's like talking to a fucking wall. You will not listen. You will not acknowledge anybody else's view except your own. I am sick and tired of this. You do not get to tell other people what they think, or why they are arguing for or against a position. You do not get to dismiss people's genuine concerns by inventing a framing and distorting what's being said.

I can only suspect that the reason you are doing this is that you are projecting your own fanboyism onto others; you can only frame it as competition between Steam and Epic because that's how YOU see it, and YOU have chosen a side. That's not how the rest of us sees it, and it would do you many favours to perhaps consider that there perspectives on this issue that do not match your own.

Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back