How many copies are you buying at launch?

Revan

Excuse me...gorgeous
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Uncharted 4

Time to coordinate Shenfam!​

With Shenmue 4 probably being the final game (given recent events, I don't blame Yu if he wants to wrap things up asap), we might just have one more chance in our lives to vote with our wallets for Shenmue.

Cedric Biscay has said that his dream goal for Shenmue 3's sales is 1 million copies. Of course, this is not the end-all-be-all amount to ensure that a Shenmue 4 gets made, but I feel that its a good target to work towards to seriously impress the folks at Shibuya and YS Net.

So, I've decided to create a little game for myself. I am viewing the Shenmue 3 launch sales as a ‘Shenmue 4 Kickstarter’ where I’ll 'pledge' X amount of Shenmue 3 preorders for Shenmue 4's funding.

I've made seven orders so far:
  • EGS Digital Deluxe
  • PSN Digital Deluxe
  • Collector’s Edition (Amazon)
  • X4 Standard Editions (Amazon)
Before November 19th, I'd like to bump this up to 10 copies if not more. Insane? Sure, but I can always sell/trade/gift this surplus later.

So, how many retail copies have you ordered as part of your ‘Shenmue 4 pledge’ without seriously hurting your bank? Kickstarter preorders don’t count!

I might even update my shitty image to keep track of our numbers Kickstarter style!

3 for me so far.

Digital deluxe on ps4
Standard ps4
Collectors edition

Collector on PS4 (2 preorders planning to drop UK one if Spain one is ok so another fan can order it)
PC EGS Phisical copy
Digital Deluxe on PS4

And not at lunch but planning at least 1 regular Disc copy on PS4 for Christmas presents

Well I've got 2 copies from the KS, but I plan on buying the digital deluxe on PS4 at launch.

Physical Kickstarter PS4
Digital Deluxe PS4
Digital PC

And the Limited Run collectors edition if I can get one

And if Japan ends up getting anything special I might grab a Japanese copy too

Includes all current and planned future orders.

Not bad between just 5 people!

So far I have incoming:

1 x $300 PS4 Kickstarter pledge
4 x PS4 Collector's Edition (UK)

Going to pre-order a digital deluxe PC and PS4 copy ahead of launch, which brings my current total to 7.

Probably 2.
I’ll be picking up the deluxe digital version from the PlayStation store and will probably pick up the physical special edition as well.

At launch, just two:

PS4 Collector's Edition (UK)
PS4 Digital Deluxe

Further down the line, will also buy on Steam, when available.

So far just:
1x PS4 Collector's Edition (UK)

I Did order the KS Collector's Edition & 2x Extra copies - Which was pushing the boat out for me, never spent that much on a game before!

I don't really like buying Digital versions of games and don't have the capacity to play a PC version :p So PS4 is definitely the route I am taking. With the Digital Deluxe version, it does have the Season Pass... so I might go against my usually Digital hissing and get this so I have everything available.

I have already bought and given 6x versions of the Shenmue HD Port to family and friends! I don't think I will be able to do the same upon launch, but I may get my close friend a copy at the very least - But in doing so, he won't have access to the Season Pass, which puts me off again... Really hate DLC.

Great topic @Revan and I hope we can see about pushing Shenmue IV as much as possible.

PC digital and PS4 physical via KickStarter, PS4 CE via Amazon. Probably more towards release.

Last edited:
Is it bad that I might not buy any? I have the kickstarter and contribute $185 so not sure whether I should buy more. You have to think that even ordering 10 makes so little overall difference for them compared to impact it has on yourself financially

It's not worth it IMO, game has to be good for it to sell and get the hype

Btw what is the collectors edition benefits compared to my normal Kickstarter?

I'd purchase the collectors edition, but can't find it on Limited Run or any US retailer(s). So far, though, $500 through Kickstarter, PS4 physical retail, and I'll purchase a collector's when I can find one.

Back