General RGG Discussion

If i'm not mistaken Kiwami is the same engine as Yakuza 3-5, but slightly higher resolution on PS4's 1080p over PS3's 720p/1080i. Presuming you're at least in late 20s, do you really see much of a difference? I barely know between 30 and 60 FPS--has to dip below 20frames for me notice haha. Especially discerning interlace to progressive at 1080, the human eye literally cannot register enough stimuli to truly notice much, yeah?

Kiwami 2 on the other hand, I believe is Dragon. Yakuza 0 i can't recall at the moment; fairly certain also the 3-5 PS3 engine (especially because it was released on PS3 in Japan, whcich I'm so jealous of...)

Besides, by the time you get thru 0 and kiwami 2, remastered 3-5 should HOPEFULLY be localized on PS4...!
To be fair, I was typing this thinking that Yakuza 3 and 4 were PS2 games. Is there any news on a Kiwami style remaster of the other games?

as far as i know there are no plans for Yakuza 3-5 Kiwami. the new released 3-5 remaster versions
are 1080p 60 fps PS3 games, so pretty much like Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1, so i doubt that they will remake them.

in a Taiwan Yakuza 5 remaster release event, they talked about a Yakuza Kenzan Kiwami version
because the west and China never received this game and it would be a great opportunity to deliver a new Kiwami version.

but there are no official remaster / Kiwami Sega announcements for any game right now.

No Kiwami's coming for 3-5. The fact they just did the remasters suggests to me they have no plans, at least not this generation. In my opinion there's not much need for them. The "old" engine games run great on PS4 thanks to the improved frame rate and resolution. At this point the only issues technically are with pop in/draw distance and some bad texturing in places (Fukuoka slime river for example!)

You'll never get a game as content filled as 5 on the new engine, not for a long while (if ever) what with game dev time increasing.

Speaking of Yakuza 5, I made it to the city as Saejima, I've really done almost nothing. I look forward to yet again trying to understand how Saejima's kidnap plan actually makes any logical sense!

I don't have a need for a Kiwami version of 3-5, I just need the PS4 Ports that Japan got... probably the most eager of any ports I'm waiting on.

i guess only 1-2 days (depends on your time zone) until we hear news about Shin Yakuza

Damn, Kiryu is so BADASS in Yakuza Kiwami. Really enjoying it
That's Kiryu all over. There's a fair few points in 1/Kiwami that I love when it comes to his character. Dammit, now I wanna replay Yakuza all over again!

i guess only 1-2 days (depends on your time zone) until we hear news about Shin Yakuza
I look forward to seeing what we get. I know we should get the actress name for the female character, I don't expect much else.

That's Kiryu all over. There's a fair few points in 1/Kiwami that I love when it comes to his character. Dammit, now I wanna replay Yakuza all over again!

Do it! I just played 0 and now Kiwami. He was awesome in 0 too, but here's more frenetic, because in 0 was:
-> Normal Mission -> Meh Mission -> Cool Mission -> BADASS MISSION

Kiwami is:
-> BADASS MISSION -> MORE BADASS MISSION -> OMG KIRYU JUST STOP YOU WILL MAKE ME HOMOSEXUAL MISSION

I still have 5 and Judge Eyes to replay, but I am planning on replaying the PS3 HD version (non Kiwami) of 1 at some point in the future. But that all depends on how quick I get done with Kenzan and when Shin is released!

I am really enjoying this, but since I'm on a Shenmue forum and Yakuza fans always beat up on Shenmue here are some initial negative thoughts:

1. It's 2019 and we still have characters that aren't fully voice acted!?
  2. Pedestrians are really stupid and it's annoying to walk through crowds. I can't stop bumping into everyone
  3. The NPCs in the city really don't look much better than some of the Shenmue 3 NPCs everyone made fun of a couple weeks ago
  4. Way too many random encounters with low level thugs. It's almost as annoying as the first Yakuza. At least the fights don't take two minutes to load anymore
  5. I never feel fully embedded in the town like I do with Shenmue. Everything just feels so superficial
On the other hand:

1. Holy shit, Virtua Fighter 5!
  2. Great story, great acting
  3. Funny side stories as always

okay, they announced that Eri Kamataki will be in the next game, thats it.
the real next game update will be released August 29

I saw that today, is there an actual press even happening on that date?

i dont know but as far as i understand from all the articles, this small announcement was at a press event.
the japanese Famitsu Twitter account stated that there will be a new article
about Eri Kamatakis casting soon but for more game infos we have to wait.

As a pessimist, I wouldn't expect much from the August date either. I always thought today would just be the actress reveal, didn't really expect anything else (I saw people elsewhere expecting trailers and release dates!).
With TGS so darn close, I'd expect that to be the time to really show the game off, so that's when I'm expecting to get any real info/trailers etc. about the game.

Indeed, SM, you called it.

Can't find much of a background on her (stuff is blocked here at work though); what's her claim to fame?

0 and Kiwami go together so there's that. Kiwami 2 uses a brand new engine and has Ryuji so things look newer and has a badass villain. Going 0 then Kiwami 2 probably makes more sense, but honestly you can't go wrong either way.

For continuity's sake, I'd do Kiwami 2 first then 0.

You also won't set yourself up for the worse game to come second (Kiwami 2 isn't bad, but 0 is better).

Played some Pool in Yakuza 5 today. Had a really rough time of it, which is weird as I've cleared EX Hard on both 3 and 4 before so no idea why it feels so "off". Oh well, can't be assed to dwell on that when Saejima has so much other stuff to be getting on with!

Back