Fact-checking the Shenmue III bedlam

You have an account over there, right? I got to ask the million dollar question...why do people put up with this shit over there? I know not everyone over there is like this and I sometimes wonder that there have to be people over there who are just downright sick of this shit...which makes me wonder? Do they see it? And if so, why stay there and put up with it?

I see it the few times I lurk there...peer pressure from little cliques who want to control the narrative and have all the power in the world to do so and it always makes me wonder, why put up with this shit? What's so special about the place that people feel the need to stay there?
I can only speak for myself: I just don't go on there very often. I post in Shenmue threads, mainly to put across a level-headed opinion, and do a 10-second skim of the front page every couple days because the retro gaming threads are usually pretty good and devoid of all the other crap, but that's it.

I think games media still pay attention to the place because it's a "one-stop shop" for hot topics in the "gaming community", and because people leak info on there. Basically, convenience and laziness.

I see yet another thread was just locked because people aren't allowed to discuss things without being bombarded with "but this person/company did a bad thing!" (this time it's Dunkey).

Founder of Team Yu, a non-founding admin at 500K, and proud owner of the best avatar here at the Dojo.

BTW, is it at all possible to get that 3D wallpaper you made last week, working on a laptop or is it just not possible and we have to stick with the static one?

:neutral: Don't ask why because I honestly don't know where the hell I got the idea from...I always thought @Let's Get Sweaty was shenmueso from youtube..... ?

?

Yeah, Epic didn't go about this in the most gentleman kind of fashion but they are fighting a platform war with Steam and console manufacturers have been paying publishers for exclusivity deals for decades and nobody whines about it.

II think some people are butthurt because their beloved Steam is getting a real competitor for the first time ever. Especially once they will have all the "consumer-friendly" functions implemented which Steam has, like cloud saves and stuff, I think Epic will really give Steam a run for their money. Epic is a major corporation with a license to print money, called fortnite and also the Unreal engine on their hands.

I've pointed this out time and time again, but this is utter bullshit. It has absolutely nothing to do with Steam.

Steam has had competitors for ages. Most people not happy with Epic are glad GOG exists.

For the millionth time, this has nothing to do with Steam.

I think the exclusivity thing will continue & still trigger people's hate(on Pc platform) way after Epic matches steam punch for punch features wise.

Which will be Sweeny's only trump card since he's the new guy on the block and people's already build a comprehensive library on Steam Years before Epic arrived to declare war.

Tim has to be aggressive to catch up/overtake Gabe's market share.

For the millionth time, this has nothing to do with Steam.

So you say... But you don't really get to decide what it's all about. You're part of a nebulous group that is against EGS in one way or another. If someone responds to the anti-competitive angle, you come along with the Chinese datamining assertion. If someone responds to that angle, someone else comes along and cries foul that their concerns are being dismissed in some sort of TOS-violating way (Like that ban evader Space Lion who was given free reign to follow me around here for weeks begging to have me banned. Sorry, but the fact that I don't share your POV != an insult. )

No matter which concern is addressed or how tactfully it's done, some other person with an axe to grind against Epic can claim that the point is being missed. I suppose you could say there is a decentralized coalition that is against Epic for a variety of reasons. If that's the case, I wouldn't bank on building the ranks by condescending to the people who are addressing some concern other than your particular one. But who even knows? I'm not even convinced this is a good faith discussion in the first place. It's the easiest thing in the world to just say, "no no no, for the millionth time, you just don't get it." Eventually, even a perfectly shared understanding often leads only to "agree to disagree."

Last edited:
No matter which concern is addressed or how tactfully it's done, some other person with an axe to grind against Epic can claim that the point is being missed. I suppose you could say there is a decentralized coalition that is against Epic for a variety of reasons. If that's the case, I wouldn't bank on building the ranks by condescending to the people who are addressing some concern other than your particular one. But who even knows? I'm not even convinced this is a good faith discussion in the first place. It's the easiest thing in the world to just say, "no no no, for the millionth time, you just don't get it." Eventually, even a perfectly shared understanding often leads only to "agree to disagree."

Except that's not in any way what's happening here. You're right in that there's a decentrailised condition that is "against" (I'll use your wording rather than split hairs) Epic for a variety of reasons.

Having agreed that that's the case, making the claim that people are "just butthurt because their beloved Steam is getting a competitor for the first time ever" is provably false in every way. This is not the first competitor for Steam, nor are any majority or even plurality of people upset at the idea of a Steam competitor.

It's not a case of "no you just don't get it". It's a case of "no this is complete bullshit", but it keeps getting repeated as though it has any grounds whatsoever (it doesn't).

provably false in every way.

I'd be interested in how you propose to prove that it's false when there's an established body of research that shows that "self-branding," i.e., tying one's consumer preferences to one's self esteem, is a real phenomenon.* That isn't to say that every user of Steam is subject to this psychological phenomenon, but certainly many are and arguably every peripheral feature of Steam beyond merely purchasing and launching the game (e.g., achievements, trading cards, etc.) is designed as a hook into this type of self-definition behavior. Particularly someone who started using Steam in their formative years and has built a profile and an identity that is in part "gamer" and in part "Steam user" (or maybe even more subjectively, "veteran gamer with good taste who uses the best platform" -- ever met anyone with that attitude?) could experience it as a threat to their self image if they perceive their favorite platform's dominance is threatened. This is perhaps most easily observable in sports fans, who root for and identify with private corporations whose job it is to play games and who are represented by mascots... hardly a vast gulf between them and the video gamers who look down on them.

I also think it's fair to say that Epic represents a different kind of competitor to Steam than, say, GOG by virtue of their aggressive tactics and deep pockets.

*By the way, yes this applies to Shenmue fans, too.

Last edited:
I'd be interested in how you propose to prove that it's false when there's an established body of research that shows that "self-branding," i.e., tying one's consumer preferences to one's self esteem, is a real phenomenon.

I've already proven it false. Playing sophisms will get you nowhere.

I could just as easily say "people who support this decision are just Epic fanboys trying to do anything to get Sweeney's cock in their mouth" and point to exactly the same links you have.

What a fucking joke.

I also think it's fair to say that Epic represents a different kind of competitor to Steam than, say, GOG by virtue of their aggressive tactics and deep pockets.

It's almost as if it's the aggressive tactics people don't like...

I've already proven it false. Playing sophisms will get you nowhere.

I could just as easily say "people who support this decision are just Epic fanboys trying to do anything to get Sweeney's cock in their mouth" and point to exactly the same links you have.

What a fucking joke.

I find your language vile. But I understand you've been caught out and can't come up with anything else. This hasn't been a good faith discussion on your part. I don't know what you think you've proven but you've only settled it in your own mind. In one breath you refer to these scientific studies as sophistry, and in the next breath (in the most childish language you can muster) you affirm their applicability to your "rival" fanbase . Well, which is it?

That's capitalism for you. Not to mention the long history of aggressive marketing and exclusive licensing in video games, going back to Intellivision's day.

Last edited:
Back