Random Shenmue Thoughts

as linked by another member on another thread. there is a japanese shenmue magazine for sale on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323336690646

looks like the magazine details how to beat the QTE and other arcade games - im pretty sure ive never seen the "combo" list online before.

s-l1600.jpg

How did Iwao know his death was coming and leave Ryo that note when Master Chen's letter didn't arrive until after he died? WHO WARNED IWAO??? And if he was warned, why did he say "it can't be, you!" when Lan Di revealed his identity? Nothing about that whole situation adds up to me, and it's always bothered me... Obviously we can interpret it in a way that makes sense by adding in info we don't already know, but it still just boggles my mind how unclear it all is...

How did Iwao know his death was coming and leave Ryo that note when Master Chen's letter didn't arrive until after he died? WHO WARNED IWAO??? And if he was warned, why did he say "it can't be, you!" when Lan Di revealed his identity? Nothing about that whole situation adds up to me, and it's always bothered me...
I think Iwao always had a feeling that someone might come after him for the mirrors one day (which is why he hid them so carefully), but it's also a good point that he chose to, and had time to, write a note for Ryo to leave on his desk on that particular day indicating he must have had at least a few minutes' warning somehow.

Regarding the "It can't be... you!" line, the original line in Japanese is open to a slightly different interpretation, and I don't think Iwao knows exactly who it is. I've written a blog post discussing it here:
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/11/it-cant-be-you.html

Regarding the "It can't be... you!" line, the original line in Japanese is open to a slightly different interpretation, and I don't think Iwao knows exactly who it is. I've written a blog post discussing it here:
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2016/11/it-cant-be-you.html

I think the easiest solution would have been "It can't be... You're...!"
But maybe it makes it too clear that he knows, and the uncertainty is lost. The nuance is lost intranslation for sure, but then a lot of things were lost in translation,
like how the harbour workers are straight off the boat stereotypical gaijins with the most hilarious voice actors and lines.
People think the English dub is bad but Japanese Tom and the harbor thugs always crack me up

as linked by another member on another thread. there is a japanese shenmue magazine for sale on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323336690646

looks like the magazine details how to beat the QTE and other arcade games - im pretty sure ive never seen the "combo" list online before.
The Yokosuka World Guidance from Enterbrain is actually even more comprehensive in laying out the button sequence for the QTE machines.
A lot in fact, though it is not quite as easy to follow for obvious reasons. And there is no real way to actually beat them. They are endless.

7f7QyyW.jpg

Which guide is that, can you post the cover? ^
I've always wondered about how both Iwao and Zhu knew Lan Di was coming. Yu's Shenmue Master interview where he says the bit about Zhu possibly being a bit untrustworthy as well as the fact that Iwao had both mirrors is very interesting. Maybe Zhao Sunming was starting to use them for personal gain, and Iwao turned on him to try to stop him? I think we will find out for sure in Shenmue III.

The Yokosuka World Guidance from Enterbrain is actually even more comprehensive in laying out the button sequence for the QTE machines.

I'm surprised it's a predetermined sequence. It seems like it might be less code to randomize the sequences.

Will we cross paths with Xiuyings brother in Shenmue III?

Am i imagining some old rare footage of Ryo on top of a train at some point?

In the project Berkley video there was some concepts of an old man with a beard, do we know who this character is?

And a genuine question which i would love to know the answer to but at the same time i don’t want to cause a stir because ultimately we’re getting Shenmue III and that’s all that matters but was there ever any proof to back up the claims of the the infamous 2005 Kikizo article or did Adam Doree purely post the article based on hearsay?

I wonder why Shenmue didn't have another sparring partner besides Fuku-san that you could access at any time, it would have made training moves far more enjoyable in my opinion.

I wonder why Shenmue didn't have another sparring partner besides Fuku-san that you could access at any time, it would have made training moves far more enjoyable in my opinion.

In theory I guess we could have spared with Tom if he didn't have to run the hot dog truck.
But then it sure looks weird that a big gaijin is sparing with a High School student in a parking lot.

Will we cross paths with Xiuyings brother in Shenmue III?

Am i imagining some old rare footage of Ryo on top of a train at some point?

In the project Berkley video there was some concepts of an old man with a beard, do we know who this character is?

And a genuine question which i would love to know the answer to but at the same time i don’t want to cause a stir because ultimately we’re getting Shenmue III and that’s all that matters but was there ever any proof to back up the claims of the the infamous 2005 Kikizo article or did Adam Doree purely post the article based on hearsay?

I think we will cross paths with Xiuyings brother in Shenmue III. My theory on that is that he ends up sacrificing himself for Ryo & that he never left the path of a true martial artist. He's a torn man and eventually redeems himself.

In the Berkley trailer there is a clip of Ryo hanging off of a train. I think it's still based in China at that point.

Not sure on the bearded man. Someone with much more knowledge than me would know I'm sure.

Haha now that's a question isn't it. I remember the stir it caused at the time and then when it fell flat on its face. I wonder if he's still about?

If its pre programmed sequence I guess it loops after some time? Thats a 1000 inputs in the guide, anyone tried it after that or TAS script or such?
I played both QTE machine up to 10 million points on slowed down Demul with quick saves. It sounds insane and it was insane, it took hours and hours. And even slowed down to a crawl, especially the boxing machine left no frame to waste. I was long looong humanly impossible to play this by regular means. I didn't pay too much attention to the inputs so I can't say where they possibly loop.

Back