Random Shenmue III Thoughts

On topic:

Everybody should go check out Richard Cartlidge's YouTube channel. Amazing and faithful covers of Shenmue music, and some great original Shenmue-inspired tunes too. He also provided the music in the Kickstarter teaser for Adam Sipione's Shenmue documentary.

Some favourites:

Yes a great guy and shenmue Fan from the heart and a good Friend of mine

I have an odd theory about why users have trouble forgiving Deep Silver and Y’s Net for the Epic debacle. This is just me thinking in generalities and is not representive of the whole. I am also excluding trolls and anti-Epic band wagoners/opportunists from this theory. The former just wanting to stir up drama for laughs, while the latter just has an axe to grind. With that caveat out of the way, I’ll present my theory.

When it comes to Millenials and to a lesser extent Generation Z they don’t simply just judge a company on their products and/or services but their ethics. For example, say “Company X” makes great burgers, but contributes to global warming then Millenials tend to not support them. They feel that if they buy “Company X’s” burgers then they are supporting global warming. It isn’t just a product to them, it’s a matter of what “Company X” represents. This is why you see advertising nowadays aimed at Millenials not simply just selling their product, but also their position on social and/or political issues or what good their product does for the world. Something like “Every cup of coffee you buy, a portion goes to starving war orphans.”

When it comes to Shenmue 3, they now see Y’s Net as an unethical sell out who chose greed over their consumers. Which is ironic because Yu Suzuki strove to get a larger development budget for the benefit of the fans. However in supporters eyes if they support Shenmue 3 now, then they’re supporting unethical AAA business practices. While others simply just see it as supporting a product and I think that’s where the divide lies. Because if you look at this situation logically, most of the backers are getting what they paid for, and their issues have been addressed. Granted things could’ve been handled smoother, but hindsight is 20/20.

Anyways these are just my thoughts.

I have an odd theory about why users have trouble forgiving Deep Silver and Y’s Net for the Epic debacle. This is just me thinking in generalities and is not representive of the whole. I am also excluding trolls and anti-Epic band wagoners/opportunists from this theory. The former just wanting to stir up drama for laughs, while the latter just has an axe to grind. With that caveat out of the way, I’ll present my theory.

When it comes to Millenials and to a lesser extent Generation Z they don’t simply just judge a company on their products and/or services but their ethics. For example, say “Company X” makes great burgers, but contributes to global warming then Millenials tend to not support them. They feel that if they buy “Company X’s” burgers then they are supporting global warming. It isn’t just a product to them, it’s a matter of what “Company X” represents. This is why you see advertising nowadays aimed at Millenials not simply just selling their product, but also their position on social and/or political issues or what good their product does for the world. Something like “Every cup of coffee you buy, a portion goes to starving war orphans.”

When it comes to Shenmue 3, they now see Y’s Net as an unethical sell out who chose greed over their consumers. Which is ironic because Yu Suzuki strove to get a larger development budget for the benefit of the fans. However in supporters eyes if they support Shenmue 3 now, then they’re supporting unethical AAA business practices. While others simply just see it as supporting a product and I think that’s where the divide lies. Because if you look at this situation logically, most of the backers are getting what they paid for, and their issues have been addressed. Granted things could’ve been handled smoother, but hindsight is 20/20.

Anyways these are just my thoughts.

I actually think it holds some weight. Virtue Signalling is everywhere nowadays as a means to pander to the ‘woke’ generation. It’s fashionable to be fighting for a cause and to be against the big bad evil. In this case, YSNET and Shenmue III went from being “made by the people for the people” with their Kickstarter success to being “corporate sellouts” because they took the pay cheque to make their game better.

It’s the same as the recent “outrage” about streamer Ninja taking a Million Dollars from Microsoft to jump to Mixer leaving Twitch behind. You now have people labelling him a “sellout” and “traitor” for taking the deal that, let’s face it, any of them in his position would take in a heart beat. (Who the hell would realistically turn down that type of offer? I know I would take it if I were him.)

The Kickstarter has been both a blessing and a curse in some ways. It got us the game we’ve been wanting for near 19 years, but it also gave us the usual headaches that come with Kickstarter...entitled peeps who think they have the right to final say because they funded it.

So I think you do have a point as a whole. It went from being “made by the people for the people” to “corporate sellout” in their eyes with the whole Epic Games Saga.

Where as I’m just sitting here thinking: “I just wanted Shenmue III...I don’t care what deal with the devil they had to sign in order to make it.” Probably because my days of “fighting the man” are kind of behind me :) That and I feel this new wave of “be outraged about everything” rings incredibly hollow and is just a way to show how virtuous you are as a human being on social media. Much like everything social media wise, it’s all a show for the world to see how perfect and righteous they are as people.

Last edited:
I actually think it holds some weight. Virtue Signalling is everywhere nowadays as a means to pander to the ‘woke’ generation. It’s fashionable to be fighting for a cause and to be against the big bad evil. In this case, YSNET and Shenmue III went from being “made by the people for the people” with their Kickstarter success to being “corporate sellouts” because they took the pay cheque to make their game better.

It’s the same as the recent “outrage” about streamer Ninja taking a Million Dollars from Microsoft to jump to Mixer leaving Twitch behind. You now have people labelling him a “sellout” and “traitor” for taking the deal that, let’s face it, any of them in his position would take in a heart beat. (Who the hell would realistically turn down that type of offer? I know I would take it if I were him.)

The Kickstarter has been both a blessing and a curse in some ways. It got us the game we’ve been wanting for near 19 years, but it also gave us the usual headaches that come with Kickstarter...entitled peeps who think they have the right to final say because they funded it.

So I think you do have a point as a whole. It went from being “made by the people for the people” to “corporate sellout” in their eyes with the whole Epic Games Saga.

Where as I’m just sitting here thinking: “I just wanted Shenmue III...I don’t care what deal with the devil they had to sign in order to make it.” Probably because my days of “fighting the man” are kind of behind me :) That and I feel this new wave of “be outraged about everything” rings incredibly hollow and is just a way to show how virtuous you are as a human being on social media. Much like everything social media wise, it’s all a show for the world to see how perfect and righteous they are as people.

IMO Kickstarter kinda deserves it rep, I've had some issues with pledges on the past. So much so that if it's not supporting the Shenmue community or a company with a soild track record I'm not supporting Kickstarter again. I've even heard horror stories of people keeping the Kickstarter funds and not delivering at all. No way I would stand for that.

IMO Kickstarter kinda deserves it rep, I've had some issues with pledges on the past. So much so that if it's not supporting the Shenmue community or a company with a soild track record I'm not supporting Kickstarter again. I've even heard horror stories of people keeping the Kickstarter funds and not delivering at all. No way I would stand for that.

I’ve seen plenty of Kickstarters not deliver a product they promised. I think that completely sucks for the backers when it happens. I think there are plenty of questionable things that happen on Kickstarter. If you don’t get the product you paid for and it’s kind of clear that there is suspicious foul play at hand then it should be something worth getting angry about. Kickstarter is far from perfect. It’s an investment gamble and like any gamble, it’s never a guarantee whether it will play out well or not.

Kickstarter (like everything) has its pros and cons. Hence why I said it’s been both a blessing and a curse to some degree in this case of Shenmue III. A blessing that it got us the game we wanted. But a curse in the sense that there has been so much drama surrounding it as every little thing about it is scrutinised.

@Tsukuyomimagi99 Your Theory has some weight for sure. But are you sure it is the Milenials that think that way? I somehow cannot believe that People in their 20s and especially in their 30s are open for this nonsense. People i that age range should have learned the Basic rules of life. How the the world works. There is no space for idealism. This stuff is something for People in their Teens and Maybe early 20s. But I cannot believe that the majority of People that was Born in the 80s and 90s ( millennials) are political activists that fight sor social justice. :sneaky:

I also wonder why this is just a american phenomenon.

In the german language their is no equval to SJW and the youth seems not to care about it. They leave video games and other media online and do not use it for their politics. if they want to do politcis they do old fashioned poltics.

Hope it keeps that way, and the People do not mix Video games and politics.

But I cannot believe that the majority of People that was Born in the 80s and 90s ( millennials) are political activists that fight sor social justice. :sneaky:

Unfathomable as it may be, some humans, regardless of age, actually try to be good people who care about something past the end of their noses. Of course that's generally dismissed by the "omg teh SJW r u triggered?!?!?" culture that some find it easier to embrace.

(Don't take this a defense of the anti-Epic crusade; it's not.)

Do not want to get to much political, but the SWJ are not good People they are hypocritics. Fighting for the Rights of minorties/changing the world to become better in the Pop culture of These days? This is hilarious. How About changing the real world Problems first? Then when all People are really equal in real life, then these good People can try to Change the popular culture.

Fighting for social justice in the popular culture, while the real world is stil a mess, is just the wrong way. But it is the most convenient for some People, to feel good, without doing anything substential.

Hiding behind a Keyboard Bashing Video game companies is something is more easy, then going on the street in Person for a political Demonstration. Or doing something other substantial Things that could Change something.

Being against Video game companies won't Change anything. And if there are really People that think they make a Change when being against Video game companies this People are fools.

But that is enough politics for the rest of the year.

Putting aside the fact that the terms you're using aren't reserved for pop culture, do you think pop culture doesn't exist in the real world? That people aren't influenced and inspired by what they see, hear, and experience in that sphere?

It's not about politics, either. At least it shouldn't be. That a clear and simple matter of right and wrong should be politicised as though the opposing views belong at certain ends of the political spectrum is a damning indictment of the current political landscape, but that's a whole other discussion.

I do not get the american Concept of Social Justice, just a silly European, so I am the wrong guy to ask for that. For me there is no Thing such as right and wrong.

Human Society changes over the time. What is considered wrong today, was considered right in the past. everything changes over the time.

But back 2 Topic now.

Last edited:
Mmm... there are things that are clearly wrong, like fascism, homophobia,
View attachment 3795
I see that Bloodstained has allowed none backers access to KickStarter DLC - Just goes to show you that it can happen to KickStarter content.
They made a poll about it and people voted to release to retail with a price tag, then they decided to put that tag price to match the tier of the Backers.

I noticed while watching this earlier there's some early examples of the Walmart footage. It really does look so much better now.
-snip-

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed while watching this earlier there's some early examples of the Walmart footage. It really does look so much better now.
-snip-

Some stuff looks better. But some stuff also looks downright different.

In the segment where the guy was chasing the other, in the kiosk it seems to be a middle aged fortune teller followed by one of Mr Muscle thugs (you can see him in ine fighting screenshot). But in the old trailer, it was a young boy being followed by an older man trying to punch him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed while watching this earlier there's some early examples of the Walmart footage. It really does look so much better now. snip
Not sure if the ban is still in place a year and a half later, but as a courtesy to Ys Net and Deep Silver who didn't wish for it to be recorded, there was a rule that this trailer couldn't be posted on the forums. It's mostly symbolic as the video got out enormously easy and spread like wildfire, but y'know.

Anyway yes, the game does indeed look many magnitudes better than the pre-alpha footage. As to be expected really, but there are significant differences outside just graphics like @GhostTrick has said. Niaowu's main shopping street got a pretty big overhaul at some point between 2018 and 2019 by the looks of things.

Not sure if the ban is still in place a year and a half later, but as a courtesy to Ys Net and Deep Silver who didn't wish for it to be recorded, there was a rule that this trailer couldn't be posted on the forums. It's mostly symbolic as the video got out enormously easy and spread like wildfire, but y'know.

Anyway yes, the game does indeed look many magnitudes better than the pre-alpha footage. As to be expected really, but there are significant differences outside just graphics like @GhostTrick has said. Niaowu's main shopping street got a pretty big overhaul at some point between 2018 and 2019 by the looks of things.

Which is funny because I always thought this version was better than the one we got in 2017. Basically makes it a better trailer because the 2017 cut was super awkward.

Back